What the Lakers can learn from the Clippers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:13 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
epak wrote:
Thing to learn from the Clippers: Make the playoffs as an 8th seed and win one game against the GSW and have some Lakers fans go hyperbole mode on how great the Clippers are.

Why not, a lot of Laker fans here live off of a meaningless win against the Warriors on Christmas. At least a playoff win means something.

100% on point

We cling so much on how we're a good team because of that game and being 20-14 "4th seed" before injuries, yet it's nothing compared to what the clippers pulled off last night.

So are you guys on this mindset as well:

Quote:
I hate to say it, but I've become a fan of the Clippers. I guess I was in denial, but I'm sold. I love their game; hard-nosed, aggressive, smart play. I love Doc Rivers, and I love Sweet Lou and Bev. I wish we had those guys on our Lakers.

My Lakers always come first, but I am a fan of other teams. I like the Rockets, for example. I don't mind the Nets and the 76ers. And I'm also a fan of the Clippers. But the Lakers are number 1, and always will be.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:24 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Man, if BI scored 25 points in his playoff debut win we'd be preparing a statue outside of Staples.

IF we came back from a 31 point deficit in a playoff game we'd be flying the Lakers flag all day and night.

We're just down and out so we will of course lack objectivity.

I wouldn't call it a lack of objectivity. It's about whether you care about a team.

Lakers fans would be going wild if we upset the Warriors because it's our team.

Because we don't care about the Clippers and don't expect them to beat the Warriors, we shrug off the Clippers upset in one game, just as we would shrug off other upsets.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What the Lakers can learn from the Clippers

activeverb wrote:
troy wrote:
1. Play hard. Play hard. Play hard.
2. Be aggressive. Lakers need someone out there with an attitude. I love Pat Beverly and wish the Lakers had him on this team.
3. Be smart. The Clippers are one of the smartest teams in the NBA.
4. Be consistent. Sweet Lou Williams is consistent in his offensive flow, not prone to long stretches where he's not mentally in the game.
5. You don't need the homerun. Be smart with your passes (Laker had way too many turnovers).
6. Don't panic, and stay within your offensive scheme.
7. Stay locked in on defense on EVERY play, not just for stretches.
8. Be hardnosed with your coaching. Get emotional out there, don't always try to be the players best friend.
9. Believe in yourselves. Don't get caught up in drama.
10. You don't need a superstar on your team to WIN...you just need heart.

Other notes
* I think the trade of Zubac is making sense. Zu looks absolutely lost out there; poor footwork, no offensive game, no defense, clumsy, fumbling, 100% a non-contributor.

* The Clippers, assuming they keep their key players (Lou, Bev, a few more) are absolutely an attractive team to go to as a free agent.

* Cousins is washed up. No way he gets nothing more next season than the vet minimum.

* I hate to say it, but I've become a fan of the Clippers. I guess I was in denial, but I'm sold. I love their game; hard-nosed, aggressive, smart play. I love Doc Rivers, and I love Sweet Lou and Bev. I wish we had those guys on our Lakers.

The Clippers are a weird team. Only thing they do well is 3-point shooting.

They tend to blow teams out or get blown out.

That would be Houston. Clippers are scrappy and have had the Warriors number for years. I fully anticipate the Warriors to kill them game 3, but Game for is going to be key.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:18 pm    Post subject:

HBLaker wrote:
An scrappy 8th seed wins a game and now we need to model ourselves after them? The franchise that recently blew up its roster, and legit chance to contend after getting nowhere, and is rebuilding... lets ignore all that, they got an 8th seed and won a game! Woooo!

That is some of the tunnelist of tunnel vision I have seen here
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What the Lakers can learn from the Clippers

troy wrote:

* I hate to say it, but I've become a fan of the Clippers.

You don't really become a Clippers fan. You were born with a genetic defect that would eventually manifest itself this way.
Beir32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:47 pm    Post subject:

The Clips built a team. They got rid of their star but they still have good players up and down the lineup. The Lakers had a superstar, a handful of kids still learning the NBA ropes and a handful of washed up has-beens and never-were's. Then you add in the injury bug and you get a lost season.

They don't need to learn from the Clippers. They just need their youngsters to take the next step, stay healthy and NOT be awful at filling out their roster.

Having the right people in charge is crucial to the last part however and my confidence in them is at an all time low.
jmat
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:21 pm    Post subject:

this. in contrast the lakers are led by a bunch of amateurs who don't know they're amateurs.

ocho wrote:
It's much simpler. They built a top flight front office. The rest takes care of itself. Ballmer didn't empower his close friends as his sole criteria.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:31 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
It's much simpler. They built a top flight front office. The rest takes care of itself. Ballmer didn't empower his close friends as his sole criteria.

One billion percent. Seems simple enough, and yet...
Beir32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:51 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
ocho wrote:

One billion percent. Seems simple enough, and yet...

Exactly. It doesn't take the gold standard that is the Los Angeles Clippers to show the Lakers how to run a franchise. It just takes competence.
greek laker
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:01 pm    Post subject:

We have to learn a lot from the way clippers operating things, but nothing
from a random victory from being 31 ptS down.Clips played hard, Warriors slept, nothing to see from an individual game.
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:39 pm    Post subject:

The entitlement and air of superiority by the organization has apparently trickled down to the fans now. Some of us need to swallow our pride and just accept that there are teams out there ( A LOT of them actually) that are just plain better than us right now.

The Buss kids had everything handed to them all their lives... once they were left the team it's been one disaster after another. I'm hoping they realize this and get it fixed... but how long will that take if at all?
chains
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What the Lakers can learn from the Clippers

troy wrote:
1. Play hard. Play hard. Play hard.
2. Be aggressive. Lakers need someone out there with an attitude. I love Pat Beverly and wish the Lakers had him on this team.
3. Be smart. The Clippers are one of the smartest teams in the NBA.
4. Be consistent. Sweet Lou Williams is consistent in his offensive flow, not prone to long stretches where he's not mentally in the game.
5. You don't need the homerun. Be smart with your passes (Laker had way too many turnovers).
6. Don't panic, and stay within your offensive scheme.
7. Stay locked in on defense on EVERY play, not just for stretches.
8. Be hardnosed with your coaching. Get emotional out there, don't always try to be the players best friend.
9. Believe in yourselves. Don't get caught up in drama.
10. You don't need a superstar on your team to WIN...you just need heart.

Other notes
* I think the trade of Zubac is making sense. Zu looks absolutely lost out there; poor footwork, no offensive game, no defense, clumsy, fumbling, 100% a non-contributor.

* The Clippers, assuming they keep their key players (Lou, Bev, a few more) are absolutely an attractive team to go to as a free agent.

* Cousins is washed up. No way he gets nothing more next season than the vet minimum.

* I hate to say it, but I've become a fan of the Clippers. I guess I was in denial, but I'm sold. I love their game; hard-nosed, aggressive, smart play. I love Doc Rivers, and I love Sweet Lou and Bev. I wish we had those guys on our Lakers.

I hate to say this, but Clippers will still lose. I would love to see the Clippers take out the Warriors though. But if they do, they will lose the next round against Portland anyways.

Its all the coach. Credit Doc Rivers. He is hard nosed and not soft like Puke. Doc forces his players to play defense and follow the plan. They broke up the team because the original core just could not win year after year and eventually tuned out Doc. So they broke it up. But they realized they have a good coach.

Either way, at the end of the day, you win with superstars. Clippers win one game and now they are the greatest and the team to model after.

Our issues were due to lack of focus and defense. That is the coach's fault.
Daphanabe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:53 pm    Post subject:

Serious question to the Clipper boosters, would you exchange our exact situations as of this moment (roster, cap, coach and FO)? Can’t pickmor choose components, just one or the other.

Me, no way. We have LeBron, a max slot, and tons of young high-end assets. Whoever we get as coach will be much better than Luke.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:22 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
Clippers are closing the gap.

I don't think so. This is a micro view of a macro analysis.

I do agree that they have won much more than us in the past 6 years.

Ironically though, Lakers are tackling a micro problem with a macro "Lakers Exceptionalism" solution.

There is a possibility that things just fall in favor for the Lakers and they end up with KL for example. But we are still handling things as though it's 1985. That things will basically correct their way via fate.

I watched the video from the Sloan Conference with Jeanie and the Boston owner. She definitely still thinks about the past.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:26 am    Post subject:

PLATNUM wrote:
The entitlement and air of superiority by the organization has apparently trickled down to the fans now. Some of us need to swallow our pride and just accept that there are teams out there ( A LOT of them actually) that are just plain better than us right now.

The Buss kids had everything handed to them all their lives... once they were left the team it's been one disaster after another. I'm hoping they realize this and get it fixed... but how long will that take if at all?

This is so annoying....this has nothing to do with pride or arrogance. I can happily admit there are a bunch of teams better than us RIGHT NOW, but that doesn't mean we are this dumpster fire like the media and our self-loathing "fans" would have you believe.
Do it Mitch!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:46 am    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
PLATNUM wrote:

This is so annoying....this has nothing to do with pride or arrogance. I can happily admit there are a bunch of teams better than us RIGHT NOW, but that doesn't mean we are this dumpster fire like the media and our self-loathing "fans" would have you believe.

Exactly.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:18 am    Post subject:

Daphanabe wrote:
Serious question to the Clipper boosters, would you exchange our exact situations as of this moment (roster, cap, coach and FO)? Can’t pickmor choose components, just one or the other.

Me, no way. We have LeBron, a max slot, and tons of young high-end assets. Whoever we get as coach will be much better than Luke.

No. My Lakers have the better upside, only because we have better long term potential, and our players can make a more profound impact. We have a talented young core that matured greatly last season (conflict will do that to you). We also have Lebron and that cap space. The Clippers are built to be a bridesmaid team. What impresses me mostly about them is their resolve, which is what I hope our young core has developed. But the Clippers have severe limitations. They are weak to average at the center spot, they have a limited young core, and their cap space won't allow them to sign a superstar and keep some of their key energy players, like Pat Bev. They are build to make it to the playoffs, but they are NOT built to win it all.

While they have superior coaching and higher IQ, and higher intensity players, we have a much more superior young core and we have Lebron.

When all is said and done, the Lakers have the better upside. That said, if we fail to sign a key (A list or B list) player this off season, and we have another poor regular season, I don't see Lebron sticking around, unless AD all but publically says he's absolutely signing with us in 2020. This offseason is key to whether or not Lebron stays through his player option season.

Stay tuned, this offseason will be the most important maybe in recent Laker history...
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:21 am    Post subject:

Folks...we have the Rambis family in our brain trust.

I mean how can Ballz beat that?
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:31 am    Post subject:

Daphanabe wrote:

Yes. The roster and the cap are fleeting. The FO and ownership are long-term. Lebron is approaching, and may even have passed, his sell-by date. A max slot is worthless unless you can sign a max player who is really worth the money. We already dumped most of our young assets, and the ones that we kept have health issues. Within six months, you will probably hate the next coach just as much as you hated Luke.

The only way to make anything of this is with a good front office and good ownership. I'm not rooting against us. I won't gain any pleasure from seeing us face-plant this summer. I'd rather smile as you say "I told you so!"

But I have zero faith in Rob Pelinka and Jeanie Buss to lead us out of this mess. I fully expect to see some sort of splashy move that gets some of you excited and pounding your chest. That's what happened last summer. We know how that worked out. So yeah, I like the long-term prospects of the Clippers better than ours.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:35 am    Post subject:

It's crazy that Ramona Shelburne is saying that if the Lakers don't land a max FA, they may have to go on a "rebuild" path and trade off pieces like LBJ and others.

I mean, what the hell was the past 6 years about? That was a pre-rebuild or something?
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:39 am    Post subject:

Saw a tweet over the weekend that said " I love Jerry Buss but I wish some of his kids would have been swallowed" lol lol
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:45 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
It's crazy that Ramona Shelburne is saying that if the Lakers don't land a max FA, they may have to go on a "rebuild" path and trade off pieces like LBJ and others.

I mean, what the hell was the past 6 years about? That was a pre-rebuild or something?

The FO/leadership will be the difference maker on what happens.

If there is somebody like a Morey, Marks (Sean), West (Jerry) etc making/influencing decisions, then tearing it apart and reconfiguring it into something else quickly is the expectation.

If the FO/leadership lacks the knack of doing those types of things, then it might take a while.

Some people are really good at building things with Legos and others aren't.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:48 am    Post subject:

greek laker wrote:
We have to learn a lot from the way clippers operating things, but nothing
from a random victory from being 31 ptS down.Clips played hard, Warriors slept, nothing to see from an individual game.

Boom, someone who gets it (actually most do). The win means nothing, how they were built and operate does.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:51 am    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

If there is somebody like a Morey, Marks (Sean), West (Jerry) etc making/influencing decisions, then tearing it apart and reconfiguring it into something else quickly is the expectation.

If the FO/leadership lacks the knack of doing those types of things, then it might take a while.

Even if we go on "Rebuild 2.0," the guys from "Rebuild 1.0" need to get paid.

BI-extension eligible 2019 summer; 2020 RFA
Lonzo-extension eligible 2020 summer; 2021 RFA
Kuz-extension eligible 2020 summer; 2021 RFA
Hart-extension eligible 2020 summer; 2021 RFA
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:04 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Even if we go on "Rebuild 2.0," the guys from "Rebuild 1.0" need to get paid.

BI-extension eligible 2019 summer; 2020 RFA
Lonzo-extension eligible 2020 summer; 2021 RFA
Kuz-extension eligible 2020 summer; 2021 RFA
Hart-extension eligible 2020 summer; 2021 RFA

From your earlier post...

Quote:

trade off pieces like LBJ and others.

LeBron is the only old guy with a contract, so at least some of the youth will be gone to fulfill the others part of your statement.

In a worse case scenario as per the Shelbourne speculation, would you prefer:

1. A complete demolition to gather assets and tank a few years for high draft picks.

2. Tear it apart and quickly reconfigure it into a team that may or not be a true contender, but at least able to make the playoffs.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: