A Couple of SeaSteaders Face Death Penalty in Thailand
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:05 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, the great tsunami in the Indian Ocean barely made a bump under the ships that it passed under.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:22 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Yeah, the great tsunami in the Indian Ocean barely made a bump under the ships that it passed under.

Exactly. The boats that were more than 20 miles from shore and headed away from Bande Aceh easily survived the 100 foot high wave, (that didn't become 100 feet until hitting the continental shelf) and then some got caught in the debris field as the wave changed direction and headed back out to sea. The best place to be during a Tsunami is anywhere far away from near shore. Sadly those poor folks in Banda Aceh had less than a 15 minute warning, not nearly enough time to get their fishing fleet headed out or harbor and out to sea. And at 8am the day after Chrisrmas, pretty much none of the fishing fleet had any intent on working in the 1st place. So 98% of the fleet was in the worst place possible, in harbor near shore.

If you want to simulate the effects of a Tsunami, it's pretty easy. Fill up your bathtub with water, place a rubber ducky in the center and some candles on one end (Those candles will represent the coastal towns and harbors). Then on the other end of the tub, take a cutting board and slam it into the water. What you'll witness is exactly what occurs during a Tsunami. You'll see those candles (all the coastal structures and boats in harbor) get decimated by the wave that's created, and then when the water outflows in the other direction, you'll see the other side of the tub flood (but not as badly as the initial wave hit) and all the while, the rubber ducky will still be bobbing around in the middle of the tub (just like boats out at sea away from shore are) It's the reason the Navy sends boats out to sea during a storm to avoid the adverse effects of the coastal storm surge.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:30 pm    Post subject:

Gellollo wrote:
I have an irrational fear of being in the middle of the ocean during a storm. What if you get swallowed by a whale or a giant squid? No thanks.

yup that's pretty irrational. only happens in the bible or jules verne books
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:47 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
Gellollo wrote:
I have an irrational fear of being in the middle of the ocean during a storm. What if you get swallowed by a whale or a giant squid? No thanks.

To be fair, many people in middle America have a fear of California because they think an earthquake will cause a hole in the ground to open up and swallow them, even though sinkhole swallows mostly occur in Florida. And many Californians would never consider living in the southeast because of the threat of a hurricane striking every few years might destroy their lives. Others avoid the midwest for fear of a tornado picking up their car and flinging it miles away headfirst into a grain silo. Whether at land or sea, mother nature provides a seemingly endless array of assaults, but millions still choose to live directly in the path of mother natures multitude of wrath's, yet still harbor great fear of mother natures other wrath's that they are unfamiliar with.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:34 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
Gellollo wrote:

To be fair, many people in middle America have a fear of California because they think an earthquake will cause a hole in the ground to open up and swallow them, even though sinkhole swallows mostly occur in Florida. And many Californians would never consider living in the southeast because of the threat of a hurricane striking every few years might destroy their lives. Others avoid the midwest for fear of a tornado picking up their car and flinging it miles away headfirst into a grain silo. Whether at land or sea, mother nature provides a seemingly endless array of assaults, but millions still choose to live directly in the path of mother natures multitude of wrath's, yet still harbor great fear of mother natures other wrath's that they are unfamiliar with.

earthquakes and hurricanes and sinkholes and werewolves regularly kill people whereas squid and whales don't
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:13 am    Post subject:

Gellollo wrote:

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:25 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

True, but a hurricane would shred anything that was not built to a similar standard as an oil platform.....and even platforms that take direct hits usually sustain significant damage.

It was pointed out earlier in thread that large ships go out to sea during a cyclone type storm because they are safer in the sea than in port. That is accurate, but they navigate away from the center of the storm.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:35 pm    Post subject:

Wave Fun

Tsunami Remastered
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:08 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

True, but a hurricane would shred anything that was not built to a similar standard as an oil platform.....and even platforms that take direct hits usually sustain significant damage.

It was pointed out earlier in thread that large ships go out to sea during a cyclone type storm because they are safer in the sea than in port. That is accurate, but they navigate away from the center of the storm.

I was in the Navy. We were in port in Japan when a hurricane was reported imminent. My ship, along with the convoy, were ordered to put to sea. Carriers didn't moor to a dock, they anchored off the coast they left also.

We put out. The storm hit and it was vicious. I was on a troop transport, we took water over the bow. All hands were ordered below. I was in communications on the bridge. Through a port hole I saw a destroyer take water up to the stack. I thought that it was gone but up it came and steamed on. When the ship rocked the screws would come out of the water and you could hear them whir.

My first hurricane I was scared ishless. The second and those after I felt safe, knew the ship could handle it. A angry sea is a thing of beauty. A calm sea is also a thing of beauty. You see a sky full of stars. I don't know if it's the same now it's been years since I've been at sea.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:26 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

I was in the Navy. We were in port in Japan when a hurricane was reported imminent. My ship, along with the convoy, were ordered to put to sea. Carriers didn't moor to a dock, they anchored off the coast they left also.

We put out. The storm hit and it was vicious. I was on a troop transport, we took water over the bow. All hands were ordered below. I was in communications on the bridge. Through a port hole I saw a destroyer take water up to the stack. I thought that it was gone but up it came and steamed on. When the ship rocked the screws would come out of the water and you could hear them whir.

My first hurricane I was scared ishless. The second and those after I felt safe, knew the ship could handle it. A angry sea is a thing of beauty. A calm sea is also a thing of beauty. You see a sky full of stars. I don't know if it's the same now it's been years since I've been at sea.

Did you guys bring the oars in, or just lower the sail?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: