Winning tonight feels good, but...

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
loyola66
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Winning tonight feels good, but...

okok, I love it when the Lakers win, especially a nice blowout like this...but was it just me or when Kobe came out in the 3rd and the Kings made their run to end the quarter and cut it to 5, I got real scared...there was like 3 consecutive possessions where odom had to chuck up a jumpshot at the last moment, and I was just thinking to myself this team is really a mess when Kobe is not in the game, it reminded me of the last roadtrip where we went on a losing streak and got blownout by bad teams and couldnt make a shot ...So I mean, this win is definitly progress, but for me to feel real comfortable going into the future, the other Lakers need to keep running the triangle when Kobe is out, cuz it can get realllll ugly realllll fast...obviously all was well when Kobe came in the 4th and he was on fire...
LakerEric
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject:

It's a point well recognized by this whole forum.....now that Lamar seems to have regained his aggression and focus with Kobe in....he must now....be able to do it w/o Kobe in there.......THE MADNESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
qreus-76
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject:

It wasn't Kobe. It was Kwame. If you look at the game there was a stretch when Kobe was out. Lamar was orchestrating and they were doing pretty good (I think Mihm was in there at that time).

That run that the Kings had was a result of Kwame being lost in the offence.

I watched him. He just looked lost. It's like he didn't know where his spots were. So Odum and Smush had to put up quick shots to beat the buzzer.

You can tell who knows the offence and who don't. He's a good defender but until he learns how to study the triangle, he won't thrive in the offence.

Bynum is another one that kinda looks lost. But he didn't play until the very end (garbage time).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:09 pm    Post subject:

qreus-76 wrote:
It wasn't Kobe. It was Kwame. If you look at the game there was a stretch when Kobe was out. Lamar was orchestrating and they were doing pretty good (I think Mihm was in there at that time).

I watched him. He just looked lost. It's like he didn't know where his spots were. So Odum and Smush had to put up quick shots to beat the buzzer.

You can tell who knows the offence and who don't. He's a good defender but until he learns how to study the triangle, he won't thrive in the offence.

Bynum is another one that kinda looks lost. But he didn't play until the very end (garbage time).

Something that's pretty obvious is that Odom wasn't lying when he said he finally was starting to both understand and get comfortable in the offense. It makes all the difference in the world. For Odom, he was able to take a step back out of the fire during the All-Star break and garner an understanding. I think the same thing will happen for Kwame during the summer. It's difficult to see strategy when you're in "learn & fight" mode. This is the benefit of keeping a team together. Eventually they all will get it, and then you get to see the real value in their individual talents. Much of what's been complained about with Lamar & Kwame is what was complained about both Slava and Devean in years past. They looked lost. How valuable is Devean looking now that he's not lost? The answer is in what you're starting to see out of Odom, and what you're likely to see out of Kwame next year. Patience does bring wonderful rewards, no matter how hard it is to remind ones self.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
lakerMark
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject:

I was hoping for a trade and with that said this team looked awesome tonight I hope this is what we see on a consistant bases. Odumb looked like an allstar and I can not believe I am saying this. Clips next keep it up Lamar and I will be on the Shoes bandwagon takin my whoopin.
loyola66
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject:

i think Brian Cook should be the primary option when Kobe is on the bench, just get smush and lamar to drive that thing in there and chuck it out to B Cook for a high percentage jumper...

28 games left, and I do agree that its just a matter of the others learning the offense, 28 games left, is there time left for learning and winning (playoffs) this yr????? ..........we shall see
loyola66
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject:

.....yo it's just that reminder of the recent losing trip and the blowouts to charlotte, indiana that bugged the hell out of me, that helpless sickening feeling........pleasssssssssssse at least play defense when kobe is out....
tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:45 pm    Post subject:

Winning always feels good regardless!!!
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject:

kwame is only good for throwing a big body in the middle
thank god we got mihm back and Jackson finally has seen the light that Cook >>> Kwame

i hope we use that game's starting lineup for the rest of the season:
Parker
Bryant
Odom
Cook
Mihm
venicebeach
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:03 am    Post subject:

With Cook and Mimh in the paint we can't protect the paint
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:13 am    Post subject:

Mihm is the key..yall are right...Brown has no clue what he is doing out there. Did you see that play where he got the ball in the high post and stood there for a good 7 seconds..and then drove the lane while kneeing the ball out of bounds? they really messed up his game in washington...or didn't develop it at all...he might as well be a rookie..and a weak minded one at that...(if you suck..we're going to boo you)

I think Mihm is the reason we went on that big slide during the road trip all the way up to the all star break. He gets soo many cheap fouls called on him...I swear..its cuz he's white...get a tan mihm!
NY_LakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: Winning tonight feels good, but...

loyola66 wrote:
okok, I love it when the Lakers win, especially a nice blowout like this...but was it just me or when Kobe came out in the 3rd and the Kings made their run to end the quarter and cut it to 5, I got real scared...there was like 3 consecutive possessions where odom had to chuck up a jumpshot at the last moment, and I was just thinking to myself this team is really a mess when Kobe is not in the game, it reminded me of the last roadtrip where we went on a losing streak and got blownout by bad teams and couldnt make a shot ...So I mean, this win is definitly progress, but for me to feel real comfortable going into the future, the other Lakers need to keep running the triangle when Kobe is out, cuz it can get realllll ugly realllll fast...obviously all was well when Kobe came in the 4th and he was on fire...

Why is it so difficult to understand that when you remove the greatest offensive threat in the entire WORLD, our team's offense bogs down? Think about ANY team that is primarily built around a single superstar. I can recall the Spurs folding against us in the playoffs whenever Duncan pulled one of his disappearing acts. Imagine the Wolves without KG or Philly without Iverson or the Nets without Kidd even WITH Carter.

If we had a second superstar to go with Kobe to prevent such breakdowns ... we'd be talking title again.
mike_dee23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject:

Man, what's with all these "Lakers win, but..." threads. They freakin' won. ENJOY IT. They aren't a championship callibar team. They are young, so there will be up nights and down nights. WHY IS THAT SO HARD TO UNDERSTAND?

Kwame played excellent last night. Sure he's not the best offensive option, but his defense was there and he hustled and played a good overall game. Cook is a better offensive player, yes, but at clutch time I'd rather have Kwame in there because of his defense. Having Kwame in there instead of Mihm also allows the Lakers to put their two best post players - Kobe and Odom - in the post.

And when will you guys learn that the Lakers don't lose because of their poor offense. They lose because of their weak defense.

Just enjoy the darn victories.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
re4ee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:53 am    Post subject:

qreus-76 wrote:

Kwame's progress was definately hurt by Mihm's injury. He was beginning to feel comfortable at PF, but then had to move to C when Chris got hurt. Now, he's thinking too much about his spacing and spots on offense a little too much, and yeah, he does look lost, at times. He's coming along, when he "feels it" (all too rarely), he looks pretty impressive.
loyola66
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:02 am    Post subject:

Look, I don't think I'm being too pessimestic here, but I just want to enjoy a Laker win "authentically"...meaning we won the game because we played hard, improved, making progress, did we make progress in last night's game? hell ya, odom might start being more consistent, our D is picking up, but what I also noticed was a huge collapse when Kobe came out and the others had trouble scoring, and that's gonna be a problem if we don't address it soon...are these guys young and inexperienced? in general yeah...but I'm not one of those ppl that will enjoy a win just cuz we won, I'm all about the bigger picture, and that is this team improving so it can do some damage in the playoffs...man if you didnt get that feeling at the end of the 3rd, then I dunno, cuz it was cut to 5 pts (from 13), and if Kobe didn't catch on fire early in the 4th, damn....ne ways I still have faith in the rest of the team to improve...
re4ee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:02 am    Post subject:

mike_dee23 wrote:
Man, what's with all these "Lakers win, but..." threads. They freakin' won. ENJOY IT. They aren't a championship callibar team. They are young, so there will be up nights and down nights. WHY IS THAT SO HARD TO UNDERSTAND?

Kwame played excellent last night. Sure he's not the best offensive option, but his defense was there and he hustled and played a good overall game. Cook is a better offensive player, yes, but at clutch time I'd rather have Kwame in there because of his defense. Having Kwame in there instead of Mihm also allows the Lakers to put their two best post players - Kobe and Odom - in the post.

And when will you guys learn that the Lakers don't lose because of their poor offense. They lose because of their weak defense.

Just enjoy the darn victories.
Absolutely!! AND, it wasn't like it was a squeaker, or that the opponents were missing key pieces, or that the refs handed the game to the Lakers. It was a really impressive, quality WIN! No "buts" about it, the game was enjoyable, entertaining, and every thing a BBall game can be, from beginning to end!

GO LAKERS!
qreus-76
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:11 am    Post subject:

by the way. what do you guys think about Odums defence on Artest?

Granted, it wasn't Pippen like, but that was the most effort I've seen out of Odum on defence ever. I mean he still got beat, but you can see a ginuine effort there.

Whacha think?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: