Odom to Cavs
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:42 am    Post subject:

Maybe the Lakers take back an injured Larry Hughes to go along with Gooden and Jones. The Cavs would get Odom, Slava and Cook. Gooden would help this year at power forward and Hughes is that "Pippen" type player we are looking for, but we would have to wait till next year for that.
nesli
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:45 am    Post subject:

the writer is Sam Smith. Remember ' The Jordan Rules' I assume he is very close to kobe.He wrote very good articles about kobe .He is a respectable writer.
If it is Ilgausgas for odom I will take that. Otherwise Gooden trade won't help Lakers. It will make them even worse.
nesli
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:45 am    Post subject:

sorry double post.
And 1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:59 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Odom is so much better than Gooden it's not even funny.

I can't believe anyone would want Gooden over Lamar.

Well actually I can. People here would rate Troy Murphy over him.

Contract issues aside, I would definitely take Gooden over Odom.

Big surprise, huh?

Here's my rationale (aside from getting Odom off of this Laker team):

IMO, Gooden has shown the potential to be a legitimate #2 scorer on an NBA. As evidence of that, I point to this season and the last. As the Cavs #3 option last season, he contributed 14 & 9 in a little over 30 mpg. This season, with the addition of Larry Hughes, Gooden is now effectively the 4th option. Despite that, he's averaging 11 ppg (on 52% shooting from the field) on three less shots per game. He's curretnly averaging 8.8 rpg (pretty much the same as less year even though his minutes have been reduced with the acquisition of Donyell Marshall).

The bonus that I see from a player like Gooden is that he primarily operates in the post. This translates into having your opponents PF's and centers having to pay attention to him rather than just patroling the lane for LeBron (or in our case Kobe). Additionally, since he operates in the paint, Gooden gets to the FT line on a consistent basis. Over the past 2 seasons, he's managed to get over 3.5 FT attempts despite playing 30 or less minutes per game.

Defensively, I see both Gooden and Odom as being the same (i.e. average to below-average). I know that folks would like to point to LO's "versatility" in terms of defense, but there has been little evidence of that this season or the last. LO cannot guard SF's and didn't distinguish himself last season while playing PF.
tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject:

Dude Gooden sucks a$$. Nothing less than Gooden and Marshall or Z and someone else. Gooden isn't even second scorer on Cleveland right now and will never be. 14 and 9 is what Odom gives and gives you assists. 3.5 FTAs isn't THAT impressive in about 30 minutes. Play a few more minutes and he'll get to where Odom is. It's not like Gooden touches the ball every time down the court. It's not like he wouldn't do worse and get fatigue playing more minutes anyways.
dino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:09 am    Post subject:

And 1 - gooden over odom? you're kidding, right? GOODEN?
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:18 am    Post subject:

nesli wrote:
the writer is Sam Smith. Remember ' The Jordan Rules' I assume he is very close to kobe.He wrote very good articles about kobe .He is a respectable writer.

Two days ago Sam Smith was writing about the Lakers going for KG. So what--I fail to see how he can honestly think Lamar can be part of a KG deal one day and the next his value plummets to Damon Jones, or anyone on the Cavs roster not named Lebron.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject:

And 1 - I'm too tired to argue with that nonsense.

Maybe after the deadline has passed and I get a few nights of proper sleep and rest
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
And 1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:30 am    Post subject:

tgf5 wrote:
Dude Gooden sucks a$$. Nothing less than Gooden and Marshall or Z and someone else. Gooden isn't even second scorer on Cleveland right now and will never be. 14 and 9 is what Odom gives and gives you assists. 3.5 FTAs isn't THAT impressive in about 30 minutes. Play a few more minutes and he'll get to where Odom is. It's not like Gooden touches the ball every time down the court. It's not like he wouldn't do worse and get fatigue playing more minutes anyways.

Of course Gooden isn't the 2nd option on a team that features LeBron, larry Hughes, and Z. But most teams don't have that type of offensive weaponry.

Currently, Lamar Odom is providing: 14 ppg / 9.4 rpg / 5.3 apg in 39 minutes.

Gooden is contributing (as the 4th scoring option) 11 ppg / 8.8 rpg / .8 apg in 28 mpg.

Based upon that, I believe that if Gooden played the extra 10 minutes, he'd probably give you an extra 6-7 ppg and maybe 2-3 more rebounds than what Odom gives you now.

There is some history which would support this projection. Last season, when he was the 3rd option, Gooden played a little over 30 mpg. He tallied 14.4 ppg, 9.2 rpg, and 1.6 apg. So, with two whole minutes and one less option ahead of him, Gooden provided 3.5 more points.

You cited the FT attempts as not being overly impressive. Again, Gooden plays almost a quarter less than Odom. I believe that with more minutes, he could see the line 5-6 times per game.

I won't argue the assist issue because I can't. Lamar simply contributes more assists. But I think it's unfair to hold that against Gooden because: A) that isn't, and will never be, his role on a team; and, B) he doesn't have the passive mentality that Odom (which is a good thing IMO).
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject:

This is totally absurd.

I'll grant everyone that Odom has not really panned out as well as LA would have hoped, but he is way better than Damon Jones.

That writer is an idiot!
And 1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:36 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
And 1 - I'm too tired to argue with that nonsense.

Maybe after the deadline has passed and I get a few nights of proper sleep and rest

Classic ad hominem argument.

The numbers are what they are.

There's no nonsense involved at all except a difference of opinion which you can't readily address.

Again, though, because of his contrat situation, I can't say that i would be prepared to acquire Gooden.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject:

Quote:

There's no nonsense involved at all except a difference of opinion which you can't readily address.

Again, though, because of his contrat situation, I can't say that i would be prepared to acquire Gooden

I like you And1, I really do.

But to say that Gooden is a 2nd option?

Really, I have no energy since I have been working and logging on talking and searching for trade rumors 20 hours of the day.

After this deadline passes - I'm going to make you eat some words, friend
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
And 1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Quote:

Again, though, because of his contrat situation, I can't say that i would be prepared to acquire Gooden

I like you And1, I really do.

But to say that Gooden is a 2nd option?

Really, I have no energy since I have been working and logging on talking and searching for trade rumors 20 hours of the day.

After this deadline passes - I'm going to make you eat some words, friend

You're cool with me too, Wolf.

But your initial "nonsense" response was so typical to the average "drive-by" poster who sees something and says That sux! or No to ____ (fill in the blanks) without providing any type of rationale for their viewpoint.

I get that you don't have time right now to provide more details into your POV. That's cool.

As for Gooden not being able to be a legit 2nd scoring option, I can see how that can be debateable. I can definitely see him producing 17-18 ppg if he were provided, say...38 mpg (like Lamar) on this Laker team. The guy is shooting over 50% from the field right now. So, if Kobe was unable to get off a shot, I'd definitely look to Gooden next for points.

Again, I'm not saying that Drew Gooden is the "end all." I just believe that he could offer this Laker team more than Lamar.

As for you making me eat my words...sorry, but only Lamar can do that with his deeds on the court.
dadliboi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject:

I think these writers know that they can get alot of hits on their articles from websites like this if they create outragous trade ideas. We fall for it everytime, don't we?
Vlade
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject:

MAJIC wrote:
Elizabeth ,

I'm finally comin to see ya baby!!!!

Vlade
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject:

what if Hughes were part of the deal. he's hurt, but could be the kind of complement to Kobe that we need in the future...
mike_kb
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject:

Gooden sucks. There's a reason why he's being bounced around the league.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: