Twitter is an "echo chamber" that doesn’t reflect how most Americans think
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 8:54 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
CrossFit just deleted its Facebook and Instagram accounts in protest.

Will be interesting to see if others start to follow suit.

https://www.theverge.com/tldr/2019/5/24/18638670/crossfit-facebook-instagram-suspends-delete

that is pretty bold....would not advised them to take this action as a business adviser, but bold nonetheless
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 6:59 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
CrossFit just deleted its Facebook and Instagram accounts in protest.

Will be interesting to see if others start to follow suit.

https://www.theverge.com/tldr/2019/5/24/18638670/crossfit-facebook-instagram-suspends-delete

that is pretty bold....would not advised them to take this action as a business adviser, but bold nonetheless

It's becoming a trend. A lot of notable brands (and celebrities) have left Facebook over the past year or so for a variety of reasons. CrossFit was just demonstrative about it.

SpaceX and Tesla. Playboy. Pep Boys. Sonos. And being in the marketing industry, I can tell you brands are talking about it. They aren't prepared to yet in many cases because money is left on the table, but, it's being discussed at least as far as how to strategically approach this.

Celebrities include Will Ferrell, Jim Carrey, and recently AOC.

Pretty soon -- the cool thing will be to leave Facebook I'd imagine, and there will come a point where if you're a brand and you're still on Facebook, then you are complicit in violating user privacy. Haha.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 10:12 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Does Google 'Top Stories' Have a Liberal Bias? Research Says Yes

Quote:
Google's algorithm gives 86 percent of its Top Stories results to articles from just 20 outlets, with Democrat-leaning CNN, The New York Times and The Washington Post alone accounting for a whopping 23 percent of article impressions in the aggregator, a study published in the Columbia Journalism Review has revealed.

Quote:
The study, created by researchers from Northwestern University, reached its conclusions after focusing on a single month, November 2017, and calculating which sources received favoured status among the 6,302 articles which appeared in Google's 'Top Stories' box that month.

Quote:
The study found that CNN was the number one source, with a full 10.9 percent of all coverage, with NYT and WaPo in second and third place, with 6.5 percent and 5.6, respectively. Fox News, the main conservative outlet in the US, received just 3 percent of the top story spots.

Quote:
According to the researchers, 62.4 percent of the stories which made it into Top Stories were from sources that were liberal-leaning, with 11.3 percent coming from conservative-leaning sources. The remaining 26.3 percent were from sources not rated on the left-right spectrum.

Quote:
added that what is known is that Google's algorithm "converts to real and substantial amounts of user attention and traffic," making their selection in the Top Stories box and which outlet wrote them extremely powerful.

LINK

much more disturbing than Twitters bias moderation....

I was trying to understand why this thread has so much life and I see posts like this. Left-leaning? There begins the bias. CNN, the NY Times and WaPo are not left leaning, but they do account for the two most prestigious newspapers in the world and the leading cable news show. Yes, there is a lot of anti Trump coverage but this is because he is such a scumbag-opportunist-con-man out for himself, with little regard for truth, honesty, and decency, and not attacked any more for his policies than Obama and other presidents.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 10:22 am    Post subject:

CNN, WaPo, and NYT are not left leaning?

Lol.

They are center-left and occasionally alt-left.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 10:30 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

Lol.

I read or skim both newspapers daily and watch CNN regularly. Do you?
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 11:12 am    Post subject:

Quote:
This photo of Barack Obama bowing to the Ayatollah Khamenei is fake

https://www.politifact.com/facebook-fact-checks/statements/2019/may/23/viral-image/photo-barack-obama-bowing-ayatollah-khamenei-fake/

Facebook working overtime. Still won't be able to remove the Russian bot and alt-right lies faster then they are posted. But I appreciate the effort.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 11:43 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Lol.

I consume content across all ends of the spectrum.

CNN is not politically agnostic. No idea how anyone could reasonably draw that conclusion.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 11:59 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
ribeye wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Lol.

I consume content across all ends of the spectrum.

CNN is not politically agnostic. No idea how anyone could reasonably draw that conclusion.

Rather than continue this here, I will continue this in the political thread.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 6:57 am    Post subject:

This is interesting. So facebook is going to start telling users when content is "fake".

The precedent has been set by the "drunk" Pelosi video that's been going around which they are now telling people is fake.

On the one hand, this could be good particularly with deepfakes becoming more prominent and so much misinformation out there. On the other, there are going to be general stories/posts and other content, including parodies, that aren't accurate, so how they will address that?

It's a slippery slope, if Facebook is going to fact check all of the content on their site.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/25/18639754/facebook-nancy-pelosi-video-fake-clip-distorted-deepfake
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 9:14 am    Post subject:

So, the harm in telling someone a parody is fake is... what?
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 9:41 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
This is interesting. So facebook is going to start telling users when content is "fake".

The precedent has been set by the "drunk" Pelosi video that's been going around which they are now telling people is fake.

On the one hand, this could be good particularly with deepfakes becoming more prominent and so much misinformation out there. On the other, there are going to be general stories/posts and other content, including parodies, that aren't accurate, so how they will address that?

It's a slippery slope, if Facebook is going to fact check all of the content on their site.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/25/18639754/facebook-nancy-pelosi-video-fake-clip-distorted-deepfake

So what is a "deepflake" to you? I have an idea but only an extreme conservative or someone on the alt right would use this according to my speculation of what the term means.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 9:46 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

Why would (or should) it be limited to parodies?

(And -- would you consider this particular faked video of Pelosi a parody, or misinformation. Thin line there, but, I didn't necessarily consider it a parody).
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 9:49 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

So what is a "deepflake" to you? I have an idea but only an extreme conservative or someone on the alt right would use this according to my speculation of what the term means.

A deepfake is a piece of content that isn't real, but is crafted in such a way that it would cause a reasonable person to believe it is real and occurred as depicted.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 9:52 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

(And -- would you consider this particular faked video of Pelosi a parody, or misinformation. Thin line there, but, I didn't necessarily consider it a parody).

Right, but that wasn’t the question. The question was why you have issue with Facebook pointing out fakes, and YOU used parodies as some sort of example of why this would be bad.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 9:59 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Deepfake is a software suite (probably a category of software by now) that superimposes faces onto a video creating a fake video of a person doing something that some else was really doing in the original video.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 10:03 am    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
ribeye wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Deepfake is a software suite (probably a category of software by now) that superimposes faces onto a video creating a fake video of a person doing something that some else was really doing in the original video.

My mistake. I saw deepflake even though it was clearly typed deepfake. Deepflake really does sound like a new alt right term.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 10:25 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Right, but that wasn’t the question. The question was why you have issue with Facebook pointing out fakes, and YOU used parodies as some sort of example of why this would be bad.

Well, I did also say it could be good. It just depends on how and when they're going to deploy this feature.

With specific regard to parodies.... well, there are a LOT of parodies. If they are going to start flagging every single parody as fake, it's going to be difficult for them to keep up, and that would mean any parody they haven't gotten around to flagging could be perceived as "real".

In other words -- imagine if you set the expectation that you would be flagging anything that isn't "real". That means anything not flagged IS real, effectively. If they can't keep up or flag content in a meaningful manner, it could remove that seed of doubt that might be present in a scenario where there is no flagging at all.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 7:17 pm    Post subject:

Not entirely Twitter related, but interesting nonetheless... It seems NYT is barring its reporters from appearing on shows that are “too partisan”, including Rachel Maddow, Don Lemon, and Lawrence O’Donnell.

Don’t really think this is a good move, although I understand why they are doing it. I think you can go on any show and still be non-partisan. I do think though, taking steps to ensure objectivity is good, I’m just not sure this is the right one.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/cnns-don-lemon-new-york-times-is-extremely-short-sighted-if-it-bans-reporters-from-my-show
GoldenChild
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 11:42 pm    Post subject:

Isn't Twitter a platform for ppl to post random thoughts while on the John?
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:20 pm    Post subject:

How the retweet ruined Twitter and people in general...

Quote:
Developer Chris Wetherell built Twitter’s retweet button. And he regrets what he did to this day.

“We might have just handed a 4-year-old a loaded weapon,” Wetherell recalled thinking as he watched the first Twitter mob use the tool he created.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/alexkantrowitz/how-the-retweet-ruined-the-internet
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:51 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Not entirely Twitter related, but interesting nonetheless... It seems NYT is barring its reporters from appearing on shows that are “too partisan”, including Rachel Maddow, Don Lemon, and Lawrence O’Donnell.

Don’t really think this is a good move, although I understand why they are doing it. I think you can go on any show and still be non-partisan. I do think though, taking steps to ensure objectivity is good, I’m just not sure this is the right one.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/cnns-don-lemon-new-york-times-is-extremely-short-sighted-if-it-bans-reporters-from-my-show

If I wanted to be considered a serious journalist, I would be nowhere near evening shows on any of the cable news channels.....I just wouldn't. CNN, Fox News and MSNBC have went from "leaning" to hyper partisan over the last decade. If you go on and side with the host, you will be labeled a partisan on that side....if you disagree with the host, you will be a labeled a partisan on the other side.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:02 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
Left-leaning? There begins the bias. CNN, the NY Times and WaPo are not left leaning

Like you friend, but you truly cannot believe the words that you write? CNN, NY Times Editorial and WaPo Editorial are far left on the spectrum, while NY Times and WaPo hard news has leaned left for many decades, and leans harder today than ever before. The biggest difference today in US print journalism if that hard barrier between the editorial side and the news side has softened.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:06 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
ribeye wrote:
Left-leaning? There begins the bias. CNN, the NY Times and WaPo are not left leaning

Like you friend, but you truly cannot believe the words that you write? CNN, NY Times Editorial and WaPo Editorial are far left on the spectrum, while NY Times and WaPo hard news has leaned left for many decades, and leans harder today than ever before. The biggest difference today in US print journalism if that hard barrier between the editorial side and the news side has softened.

As I've said before, there are times I see a left-leaning CNN discussion, and there are times I will see a right leaning CNN discussion. But I am not just going to give my opinion, I will provide an example of the latter (borrowed from the political forum so if this gets involved, we should continue there):

ribeye wrote:

CNN presented a group of pro-Trump political activists as average Republican voters—again

Quote:
In fact, what CNN identified only as a panel of Republican voters were eight Trump-supporting party activists from the rather humiliatingly self-named group Trumpettes of America. It is a group literally devoted to selling itself as American jus' folk who happen to, when asked, Still Support Trump regardless of what he does. But CNN did not mention this; again, the only identification the audience received was that they were Republicans.

Quote:

It's a pro-wrestling move. The viewer is not seeing what they think they are seeing: The segment was orchestrated, in advance, with the parts of Republicans being played by actors who have professionally dedicated themselves to the roles.

Quote:

It's crooked. CNN is lying to its viewers about what they are seeing.

As for the NY Times, I will say the same: left points of view can be presented, but let's make no bones about it, so are right points of view, and often with devastating consequencs. I will present an example of this here as well:

Way back when (I guess 2002 - 2003), a series of front page articles, by Judith Miller, were run on the various aspects of WMD, including the ridiculous aluminum tubes allegation, in the lead up to the Iraq War, effectively help sell the war and all its displacement, disruption, carnage, and death, and end her career as a respected journalist.

As such, the difference I tend to see is that these news organizations make every attempt to tell the news straight, but that sometimes in a presentation, a bias can be seen, but when they might take a liberal point of view on a subject, it is almost always factually presented, while sometimes when they take a conservative point of view on a subject, it is flat out deceiving or wrong, as my cases in point demonstrate.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:31 pm    Post subject:

To those on the Right these days, anything not heavily right of moderate is "far Left"
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:10 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
“President Trump did nothing to dissuade this message,” they write. Their filing cites Trump’s Twitter attacks on the figures Sayoc targeted.

Sayoc was a Trump fan before the reality television host ran for president, and viewed him as “everything he wanted to be: self-made, successful, and a ‘playboy,’” his attorneys wrote.

But Sayoc “began watching Fox News religiously,started following political news on Facebook and and “threw himself into” Trump’s campaign once he announced his candidacy because he “came to view Trump as a personal champion—someone who had helped him through the most difficult periods of his life and who could do the same for other people across the country.”

Sayoc, his lawyers wrote, “began watching Fox News religiously at the gym, planning his morning workout to coincide with Fox and Friends and his evenings to dovetail with Hannity.” With his use of steroids, they said, he became paranoid and delusional about the false news stories that clogged his social media feeds.

“Because of his cognitive limitations and mental illness, he believed outlandish reports in the news and on social media, which increasingly made him unhinged. He became obsessed with ‘attacks’ from those he perceived as Trump’s enemies. He believed stories shared on Facebook that Trump supporters were being beaten in the streets. He came to believe that he was being personally targeted for supporting Trump: Mr. Sayoc thought that anti-Trump forces were trying to hurt him and they were to blame when his van was vandalized,” they wrote.

A rational observer may have brushed off Trump’s tweets as hyperbole, but Mr. Sayoc took them to heart,” according to Sayoc’s attorneys.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/cesar-sayoc-trump-bombing_n_5d3635b1e4b004b6adb48758

Considering the recent threats to AOC and Omar. This is still a problem worth addressing. I don't blame companies like Twitter and Facebook limiting their exposure by regulating what content they allow on their platforms.

Same goes for anti-American, Muslim extremist content on those platforms. When you build platforms that can be customized to bombard users with curated, extremist content. Preventing stochastic terrorism is a logical next step.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 11 of 14
Jump to: