Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 6:56 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Your Move Twitter . . .

Other than Louis Farrakhan, most of those people were permanently banned from Twitter some as far back as 2016.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Your Move Twitter . . .

Other than Louis Farrakhan, most of those people were permanently banned from Twitter some as far back as 2016.

Facebook is becoming too irrelevant to read past the headline....MySpace banning anyone lately?
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 9:13 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Your Move Twitter . . .

That poster could rally use a quick listen to that podcast to educate themselves a little bit. They discuss the banning of Jones and Milo in the first hour. But apparently they know all they need to know already.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 9:56 am    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Your Move Twitter . . .

That poster could rally use a quick listen to that podcast to educate themselves a little bit. They discuss the banning of Jones and Milo in the first hour. But apparently they know all they need to know already.

That, by definition, is an echo chamber heh.

To be fair though, it's possible the comment was meant specifically for calling for the banishment of Louis Farrakhan on Twitter.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 12:21 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Your Move Twitter . . .

To be fair though, it's possible the comment was meant specifically for calling for the banishment of Louis Farrakhan on Twitter.

ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 1:05 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Your Move Twitter . . .

Hahaha. I’m giving the benefit of doubt here! Lol
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 6:29 pm    Post subject:

James Woods is suspended (not banned, but still) from Twitter for tweeting:
“If you try to kill the King, you best not miss’ #HangThemAll“

This was apparently a line used in The Wire. Woods was referencing the Mueller Report.
ani007
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 8:32 pm    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:

This was apparently a line used in The Wire. Woods was referencing the Mueller Report.

"Come at the king, you best not miss." –Omar

i would have to assume the hang them all part was the point of contention. that's more game of thrones territory..
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 9:13 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Your Move Twitter . . .

More like your move, YouTube.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 9:14 pm    Post subject:

ani007 wrote:
Surfitall wrote:

i would have to assume the hang them all part was the point of contention. that's more game of thrones territory..

Hang them all is not a reference to anything in pop culture. "Burn them all" would be a GOT reference but once you talk about hanging it's no longer just a GOT allusion.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 11:45 pm    Post subject:

Talked to someone today who was mad about the bans. Said facebook should be regulated like a public utility. Nearly lost a lung laughing so hard. He supports Republicans who vote against net neutrality. The internet itself isn't even regulated like a public utility because of who he votes for.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 5:48 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Talked to someone today who was mad about the bans. Said facebook should be regulated like a public utility. Nearly lost a lung laughing so hard. He supports Republicans who vote against net neutrality. The internet itself isn't even regulated like a public utility because of who he votes for.

He is mad about the bans but wants more regulation?

I’m only opposed to regulation because I don’t have direct control over the person with their finger on the regulatory trigger.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 7:29 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
ani007 wrote:
Surfitall wrote:

Hang them all is not a reference to anything in pop culture. "Burn them all" would be a GOT reference but once you talk about hanging it's no longer just a GOT allusion.

Yeah, it’s a straightforward, they are traitors, hang them all kind of reference prefaced by a line from the Wire, which btw also means that if you try to topple the king and don’t, you die.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 7:31 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
kikanga wrote:

I’m only opposed to regulation because I don’t have direct control over the person with their finger on the regulatory trigger.

That’s one of the oldest myths in the book. Someone always has that finger. If it’s not a government regulator, it’s just a Zuck.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 8:55 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
kikanga wrote:

That’s one of the oldest myths in the book. Someone always has that finger. If it’s not a government regulator, it’s just a Zuck.

True. But I can always choose a different platform, or build my own, with different regulatory practices that I’m ok with. That would not be the case with a single regulator.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
kikanga wrote:

True. But I can always choose a different platform, or build my own, with different regulatory practices that I’m ok with. That would not be the case with a single regulator.

Now we are to the myth of the single regulator, that lone wolf who only acts against (insert my ideology here). The simple fact is that regulation is one of the key and necessary parts of government, which makes up a key and necessary part of civilization.

This is all built on the libertarian myth that the principle element of society is the unfettered individual, and that the individual, and his (gender chosen on purpose) larger avatar, the market, is somehow a self regulating creature that bends ever so relentlessly toward balance and harmony.

The people who despise regulation tend to be the people who benefit from the inequity of its lack. The moneyed, the connected, the predators.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 10:09 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
kikanga wrote:

You can't build an alternative to Facebook. There's a critical mass of a following you need to have, and becoming profitable is nigh impossible. Look at how Google+ failed. Same thing with Google, you'll never create a better search engine because you don't have their volume of data to train ML algorithms. Look at how bad Bing is.

Google itself has basically given up on Google Fiber, which is an indication of how hard it is to break into established fields as upstarts. What makes you think you could create anything better?

Also regulators do have accountability, just look at how ISP regulations (i.e. the FCC) have responded to presidential elections vis-a-vis net neutrality policies. Is it fine-grained? Maybe not, but you have more control than you do about 2 ISPs that actually provide service in your area.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 10:25 am    Post subject:

^ Completely disagree you can’t build an alternative to Facebook. They are already faltering. I would agree it won’t be easy but Facebook isn’t going to last much longer IMO. There are existing alternatives already. Twitter, Insta, Snapchat, Whatsapp, etc.

Plus, there was a MySpace before Facebook.

And a Friendster before MySpace.

Even Apple was at one point on the brink of collapse.

Regulation of ISP and regulation of speech/content, two separate things. In full transprency, I am generally opposed to monopolies which is why I tend to fear regulation on many, but not all, things, but esp so a government monopoly as they do virtually nothing well.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 10:51 am    Post subject:

First, nothing predating Facebook gets at its scale.
But more importantly, you only reinforce my point. Facebook's hegemony might fade, but what it will be replaced by will be another hegemony. Two of the companies you mentioned are owned by Facebook, and frankly the niche of all of them is different. No one gets political news from anywhere but Twitter and Facebook. So sure, you might replace Zuck with someone else but there's still a single person in charge.

If your argument is that stricter anti-trust standards could preclude regulation... well maybe. But you don't tend to find the anti-regulation people strongly supporting anti-trust legislation so I don't find that a convincing rebuttal.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 11:41 am    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:

that line, or similar lines long predate the Wire episode.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 1:22 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
But more importantly, you only reinforce my point. Facebook's hegemony might fade, but what it will be replaced by will be another hegemony. Two of the companies you mentioned are owned by Facebook, and frankly the niche of all of them is different. No one gets political news from anywhere but Twitter and Facebook. So sure, you might replace Zuck with someone else but there's still a single person in charge.

If your argument is that stricter anti-trust standards could preclude regulation... well maybe. But you don't tend to find the anti-regulation people strongly supporting anti-trust legislation so I don't find that a convincing rebuttal.

My argument is that having a single arbiter for what content is acceptable or not, is not appealing to me. Unless, I get direct control over that arbiter so i can ensure it is acceptable to me.

Otherwise, I’d rather have the option of choice.

Zuck overseeing only the Facebook/Insta/Whatsapp platforms, is not the same to me, as a Donald Trump like or worse, overseeing every single platform.

The lack of regulation will allow for something new to emerge, and most market leaders struggle to dominate new eras because to do so tends to be self-destructive.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Surfitall wrote:

I thought Ralph Waldo Emerson was in The Wire.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 1:43 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
tox wrote:

My argument is that having a single arbiter for what content is acceptable or not, is not appealing to me. Unless, I get direct control over that arbiter so i can ensure it is acceptable to me.

Well, that kind of defeats the idea of regulation. Because of course the people who are "regulated against" are not going to be happy. If there was universal happiness with the regulator, they probably are not very active or necessary. It is precisely because some people don't support regulation that it is necessary.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 1:50 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Surfitall wrote:

I thought Ralph Waldo Emerson was in The Wire.

Emerson's quote was “When you strike at a king, you must kill him.”...which is why I said similar lines, because his quote has been altered many times, but they are all a play of the original.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 1:52 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
tox wrote:

Well, that kind of defeats the idea of regulation. Because of course the people who are "regulated against" are not going to be happy. If there was universal happiness with the regulator, they probably are not very active or necessary. It is precisely because some people don't support regulation that it is necessary.

just trying make sure I understand your position, you support government regulation of social media?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 4 of 14
Jump to: