Television: New Shows, new seasons, new characters, etc.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 109, 110, 111  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:57 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Have not got a chance to watch but Godfather of Harlem premiered this weekend on epix.

went back and watched the first 4 episodes this weekend. Entertaining. Fictional story about real people....Bumpy Johnson, Adam Clayton Powell Jr., Malcolm X, Muhammad Ali, Vincent Gigante, etc. I am sure it is loosely based on some non-fiction events, but it is not a history lesson.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8080122/
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:21 pm    Post subject:

not sure who was still watching The Deuce, but the final scene in the series finale was great.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:58 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
not sure who was still watching The Deuce, but the final scene in the series finale was great.

I haven't seen the last 2 episodes. I'll make sure to check it out.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:53 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

Now that I finished the series. If I were sum it up in a word it would be: dejected.
Don't know if I've seen a multi season show more despondent that that. And it was by choice. The show had a huge cast and took place over multiple decades. And the showrunners chose carefully what pieces of each character's story we spent the most time with.
Glad I watched it though, it was a quality show.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:36 am    Post subject:

I've watched the first three episodes of "Treadstone" on USA. It's based on the Jason Bourne series and takes place before and after the events of the movie. It's pretty good and they've stuck with a lot of close quarter fighting action from the movies.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:55 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Now that I finished the series. If I were sum it up in a word it would be: dejected.
Don't know if I've seen a multi season show more despondent that that. And it was by choice. The show had a huge cast and took place over multiple decades. And the showrunners chose carefully what pieces of each character's story we spent the most time with.
Glad I watched it though, it was a quality show.

I think in the end it was just real....a story about a group of people in a place during a specific time. It was a period in life for some....even the final period in life for others. I have seen some complaints that the ending was sad because because Vince did not end up with Abby or because Lori Madison committed suicide (Lori was my favorite character), etc. etc., but Vince was never supposed to end up with Abby and Lori was never going to become a Hollywood star....and Candy was never going to be Spielberg. Just people living and dying.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:57 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
I've watched the first three episodes of "Treadstone" on USA. It's based on the Jason Bourne series and takes place before and after the events of the movie. It's pretty good and they've stuck with a lot of close quarter fighting action from the movies.

you think it will stick? USA has had some decent shows that they seem to pull the plug on fairly quickly in recent years.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:02 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
^ thanks for the input. I truly enjoyed the characters in season 1 but in season 2 everyone I liked just became unlikable. I think that's my biggest gripe - I have no one root for. But I hear that Kendall starts to make a comeback so maybe I'll give it another shot.

I don't think they became more unlikable in season 2. If anything, there are some humanizing events for several of them. If you re-watch season one, you will notice that none of them are very likeable there either, it's just that they are introduced in often entertaining ways that make them briefly appealing.

At the end of the day, this is a story about a greedy tycoon and his grasping, pampered yet bullied progeny fighting for their piece of his vast holdings, often with him, and the fact that none of them are particularly well rounded, decent humans. It's not a bad allegory for a current prominent American family, with the exception of the characters being too intelligent...
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:28 pm    Post subject:

^^^you should probably take discussion of the Bidens over to the political thread?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:22 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
^^^you should probably take discussion of the Bidens over to the political thread?

Unfortunately, you can't withhold anything from me to get me to do that...
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:26 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:

you think it will stick? USA has had some decent shows that they seem to pull the plug on fairly quickly in recent years.

For the shows I like, I'm always expecting them to be cancelled. The critics don't seem to like it.

Thankfully, it's on USA. They seem to like these spy dramas. Shows like Burn Notice and Covert Affairs ran for several seasons.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:11 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
Echo in the Canyon on Netflix offers a wonderful stroll back to a time when LA was one of the music hubs of the world. It has flashbacks of the music of the 60's, from the Byrds, to the Buffalo Springfield, to Brian Wilson, to the Mamas and the Papas, with modern day performances of that music by Jacob Dylan, Beck and others. It reminds us of that time when albums drove the industry (to the extent that a new LP could be an event), and how the LA scene became an equal to the British invasion with the introduction of this new thing, largely invented by the Byrds, folk rock.

Agreed, wonderful doc. The mid-late 60s was such a great era for music. I'm glad that they were able to get Brian Wilson to participate; I really dug his segments. An absolute legend.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:11 pm    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
ribeye wrote:
Echo in the Canyon on Netflix offers a wonderful stroll back to a time when LA was one of the music hubs of the world. It has flashbacks of the music of the 60's, from the Byrds, to the Buffalo Springfield, to Brian Wilson, to the Mamas and the Papas, with modern day performances of that music by Jacob Dylan, Beck and others. It reminds us of that time when albums drove the industry (to the extent that a new LP could be an event), and how the LA scene became an equal to the British invasion with the introduction of this new thing, largely invented by the Byrds, folk rock.

Agreed, wonderful doc. The mid-late 60s was such a great era for music. I'm glad that they were able to get Brian Wilson to participate; I really dug his segments. An absolute legend.

I loved it. Not only for the music history aspect, but it brought back a ton of memories of my youth. My family moved to Coldwater Canyon in '69. Coldwater is the next canyon over from Laurel. Most of my friends lived off of Coldwater, Laurel or Mullholland (the ridge top road that connects them for those not familiar with the area). I had friends who lived on Bluebird and Wonderland (which became infamous a decade plus later for the murders contracted by a Nash not named Graham). So, I spent my early youth hanging out and riding my bike for miles and miles in the area. Some of the people in the doc were people we'd see around. I remember when my Dad bought CSNY's "Deja Vu" I looked at the cover and thought, "Those are the funny hippy guys who live by my friends Mark's house!" I thought everybody lived in an area populated by musicians, actors and artists.

It was also totally nostalgic seeing the archival footage and the clips from that movie that they interspersed through out. It was kind of like looking at an old family album looking at some of the locations.

But to get back to the music, it was really cool to hear everyone talk about what an intertwined catalyst of creativity that period and that collection of people was and to realize the impact it had on the music that was formed not only at the time, but the profound influence that echoed for years afterward.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:08 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
Thankfully, it's on USA. They seem to like these spy dramas. Shows like Burn Notice and Covert Affairs ran for several seasons.

I still miss my weekly dose of Piper Perabo.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:59 am    Post subject:

Is the brown dude on CP3’s State Farm commercial same one from the office?
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:27 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:

Yes.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:47 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
governator wrote:

Yes.

Oscar
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:49 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
adkindo wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:

For the shows I like, I'm always expecting them to be cancelled. The critics don't seem to like it.

caught up on Treadstone....kind of get what is going on, but do we know how the young lady in North Korea fits in at this point?
GoldenChild
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:43 pm    Post subject:

Who watches SWAT?
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:45 am    Post subject:

Years. Heck decades from now. People who have seen Mr. Robot will talk about its transcendence. This week's episode was pure 🔥. This show has to at least be top 5 on my all time list of greatest TV ever made. And I didn't even like season 2 much. That's how great season 3 and 4 (so far) have been.
Even if you aren't very interested in the subject matter (computer hacking, technology, extreme economic stratification) I'd still recommend it if you appreciate nearly perfectly executed film and television.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:33 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Just watched the 1st episode of Watchmen. I read the graphic novel back in the day.
Things some people may not know if they never read the graphic novel:

Thanks. So many details went over my head watching the pilot. I don't know if I ever will read the graphic novel and I read a review that said this is a sequel to that. If so, this show might not be for me.

I didn't read any of the GoT novels either but the plot was pretty to easy to follow on the TV show, at least until Season 8.

interesting - so if I know nothing about the graphic novel I shouldn't even bother with it?

Still check it out. They made it so it’s good whether you've read watchmen of not.

It's starting to get interesting. Now we know what happened to the all the Watchmen. Jean Smart was great as Silk Spectre.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:55 am    Post subject:

The Morning Show is incredible. While it's different from The Newsroom I think any fan of that would be a fan of this.

Also, I really liked Modern Love on Amazon Prime.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:44 pm    Post subject:

GoldenChild wrote:
Who watches SWAT?

think I am up to date on it
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:45 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
The Morning Show is incredible. While it's different from The Newsroom I think any fan of that would be a fan of this.

Also, I really liked Modern Love on Amazon Prime.

I will probably check it out, but didn't it get terrible reviews?
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:40 pm    Post subject:

^ did it? I haven't read any. I thought it was HBO level good but maybe I'm in the minority. Curious to see what you [and others] think.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 109, 110, 111  Next
Page 21 of 111
Jump to: