Live in California? I hope you haven't been drinking the water
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 8:21 am    Post subject: Live in California? I hope you haven't been drinking the water

Lifetime of drinking California water could raise cancer risk, study finds

Quote:
Researchers find arsenic and other contaminants that could lead to almost 15,500 cases of cancer

Quote:
Drinking California tap water over the course of a lifetime could increase the risk of cancer, according to a study published on Tuesday.

Researchers with the Environmental Working Group, an advocacy non-profit, studied the combined health impacts of contaminants found in 2,737 community water systems throughout California and calculated that prolonged consumption of the contaminated water could cause almost 15,500 new cases of cancer.

The study found traces of arsenic, hexavalent chromium, and disinfection byproducts in the water systems. All of these contaminants are regulated federally and on a state level. Trace amounts of some are legally allowed in the water.

But the study found that a majority of the cancer risk was due to the cumulative effect of these legally allowed amounts. “A large majority of the cancer risk, about 85% of it, is due to the combination of contaminants that are present at legal limits,” explained Tasha Stoiber, an Environmental Working Group senior scientist and the lead author of the report.

You're all screwed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 8:35 am    Post subject:

I’ve never drank the tap water here.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 8:54 am    Post subject:

Oof. I drink a lot of tap water.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 8:59 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
Oof. I drink a lot of tap water.

If you do, I would strongly recommend that you get a filter.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 9:07 am    Post subject:

It’s been bottled water for me, though I plan to get a reverse osmosis filter to filter out that Chromium-6 (hexavalent chromium) from tap water and reduce my plastic waste footprint.

Though the empty bottles still go to my local recycling station, China recently banned imports of US recyclables so they are now being incinerated locally, dumped into landfills, and/or diverted to Malaysia.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theatlantic.com/amp/article/584131/
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 9:26 am    Post subject:

I'm between Crystal Geyser and Aquafina for drinking. I do use a little tap water to cook.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 9:52 am    Post subject:

We have a water store and I have four 3-gallon jugs that I fill up there. Not bad at 25 cents a gallon. Other stores also have water machines but be sure to check filter change dates, the water store changes theirs daily.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 10:12 am    Post subject:

I got Crypto from the Vegas water in 93 and have been drinking bottled water since
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 10:24 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
We have a water store and I have four 3-gallon jugs that I fill up there. Not bad at 25 cents a gallon. Other stores also have water machines but be sure to check filter change dates, the water store changes theirs daily.

I use to buy water from a water store. I stopped. Isn't that water from the tap? I don't trust the inspection regimen.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject:

When we 1st moved to California from Canada in '82, my dad joked:

The car culture in California is really strong. All other places you get water from the tap and have to goto the store to purchase coolant, but in California you get coolant from the tap and have to goto the store to purchase water.

I've still never tasted California tap water. Just watching the litlle floaties in the hazy liquid that flows from the tap was enough to put our family off it. Seeing years later that someone has finally deemed it unhealthy is about as surprising as someone deeming fire breathing unhealthy. Duh...
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.

Last edited by Aussiesuede on Wed May 01, 2019 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 10:28 am    Post subject:

It’s either reverse osmosis or alkaline. I have a friend who works there and they do change the filters daily. Most bottled water is reverse osmosis water.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 10:47 am    Post subject:

Ive been using my refrigerator filter which I know isnt nearly enough. On my to-do list is to look into a cheap to install/maintain whole house filtration system.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 11:30 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
Ive been using my refrigerator filter which I know isnt nearly enough. On my to-do list is to look into a cheap to install/maintain whole house filtration system.

Same. They dont seem to be too expensive. Like around $2K plus installation for a good one.

Anyone have one they can recommend?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 12:51 pm    Post subject:

VicXLakers wrote:
I got Crypto from the Vegas water in 93 and have been drinking bottled water since

Wait. You drink the water in Vegas and get bitcoin?
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 12:57 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:

The car culture in California is really strong. All other places you get water from the tap and have to goto the store to purchase coolant, but in California you get coolant from the tap and have to goto the store to purchase water.

I've still never tasted California tap water. Just watching the litlle floaties in the hazy liquid that flows from the tap was enough to put our family off it. Seeing years later that someone has finally deemed it unhealthy is about as surprising as someone deeming fire breathing unhealthy. Duh...

There's no universal California tap water to begin with. Certain cities are awful (Yorba Linda for example is terrible). In Westminster, before I installed a filtration system I had the water measured and it was actually really, really good.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 12:58 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:

I know you're kidding but some may not know that tap water can make you s**t water for three weeks ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptosporidium

not fun....
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 12:59 pm    Post subject:

VicXLakers wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:

I know you're kidding but some may not know that tap water can make you s**t water for three weeks ...

not fun....

Jaysis you must have been on death's door. I had food poisoning for 3 days earlier in the year and I was absolutely emaciated. My lips were cracked and bleeding I was so dehydrated.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 1:00 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:

There's no universal California tap water to begin with. Certain cities are awful (Yorba Linda for example is terrible). In Westminster, before I installed a filtration system I had the water measured and it was actually really really good Pho.

FIFY
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 1:03 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:

not fun....

Jaysis you must have been on death's door. I had food poisoning for 3 days earlier in the year and I was absolutely emaciated. My lips were cracked and bleeding I was so dehydrated.

I still drink Pedialyte from time to time just picked up a bottle last week to have on hand
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 1:18 pm    Post subject:

Yum!
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 1:25 pm    Post subject:

who the (bleep) drinks tap water here??
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 1:43 pm    Post subject:

Dladi Vidac wrote:

This Guy
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 2:00 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:

There's no universal California tap water to begin with. Certain cities are awful (Yorba Linda for example is terrible). In Westminster, before I installed a filtration system I had the water measured and it was actually really really good Pho.

FIFY

Lol. Well done.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 2:52 pm    Post subject:

Dladi Vidac wrote:

A lot of people (myself included) drink filtered tap water, through a Brita filter. Or there's your fridge filter. It seems extremely likely to me that neither type will actually filter out the potential carcinogens from this study although I haven't looked into it.

I try not to use bottled water since it's terrible for the environment.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 3:00 pm    Post subject:

Abstract

Arsenic contamination of drinking water is a serious threat to the health of hundreds of millions of people worldwide. In the United States ~3 million individuals drink well water that contains arsenic levels above the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) maximum contaminant level (MCL) of 10 μg/L. Several technologies are available to remove arsenic from well water including anion exchange, adsorptive media and reverse osmosis. In addition, bottled water is an alternative to drinking well water contaminated with arsenic. However, there are several drawbacks associated with these approaches including relatively high cost and, in the case of bottled water, the generation of plastic waste. In this study, we tested the ability of five tabletop water pitcher filters to remove arsenic from drinking water. We report that only one tabletop water pitcher filter tested, ZeroWater®, reduced the arsenic concentration, both As3+ and As5+, from 1000 μg/L to < 3 μg/L, well below the MCL. Moreover, the amount of total dissolved solids or competing ions did not affect the ability of the ZeroWater® filter to remove arsenic below the MCL. Thus, the ZeroWater® pitcher filter is a cost effective and short-term solution to remove arsenic from drinking water and its use reduces plastic waste associated with bottled water.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: