Kentucky Derby! Controversy!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 6:00 pm    Post subject:

War of Will wins the Preakness, but Bodexpress is the real winner today!
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 9:47 am    Post subject:

That was crazy, running the track twice. I am glad he didn’t affect the outcome and props to the track staff for also not affecting the outcome. When one tried catching him on the last turn I was thinking no, good to see that person pull up.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 12:58 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
That was crazy, running the track twice. I am glad he didn’t affect the outcome and props to the track staff for also not affecting the outcome. When one tried catching him on the last turn I was thinking no, good to see that person pull up.

on the replay, as you point out when I knew everyone was ok and everything, it just cracked me up....Bodexpress looked like he was just trying to keep up with his friends....and then he decided to do another lap for show like he had just won a Nascar race!

Bodexpress is the offspring of Empire Maker who won the 2003 Belmont Stakes and prevented Funny Cide from winning the Triple Crown. At that time, we had not have a Triple Crown winner in over 20 years.

too bad Country House will not run @ Belmont. The owner knows he did not have a Top 3 horse at the derby, and got extremely lucky.....does not want those breeding fees to drop by getting blown out @ Belmont.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 8:11 pm    Post subject:

Came across this article on ESPN's The Undefeated....and while it goes in depth, the topic is how Pimlico where the Preakness was ran this weekend sets in a very low income and minority part of town.

LINK

It caught my attention, because that is very similar to Churchill Downs in Louisville. I can recall the first time visiting Churchill Downs, everyone advised me where to not park, and be sure to get out of there before the evening races....often mentioning the high levels of crime in the area. Like they mention in the article, when watching on television the viewer has no idea that these events that draw the most wealthy from around the globe are taking place in one of the poorest and most crime ridden areas of the host city.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 10:17 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Came across this article on ESPN's The Undefeated....and while it goes in depth, the topic is how Pimlico where the Preakness was ran this weekend sets in a very low income and minority part of town.

LINK

It caught my attention, because that is very similar to Churchill Downs in Louisville. I can recall the first time visiting Churchill Downs, everyone advised me where to not park, and be sure to get out of there before the evening races....often mentioning the high levels of crime in the area. Like they mention in the article, when watching on television the viewer has no idea that these events that draw the most wealthy from around the globe are taking place in one of the poorest and most crime ridden areas of the host city.

The Preakness will probably move to Laurel Park in the future. The problem is Pimlico isn't used much for most of the racing season, and they are limited by what they can do around that area in terms of improvements for the race track. I see redevelopment for that site in the future, it is probably for the best for the community even though they might not like the immediate future. Its probably similar to what happened to Hollywood Park here in Inglewood, the track wasn't bringing in attendees like in the past and they eventually redeveloped it into the Inglewood Stadium. Now that area has been brought back to life.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 12:07 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

LINK

When doing a little tour of various cities in 2016 in October with some friends--a few of my longtime friends and I all turned 40 that year--one of the places we visited was Louisville. Of course, Churchill Downs was a must-stop. We went there on the last day of the meet. We could not believe what a sh*thole the area was. Could. Not. Believe. It.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 5:44 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
adkindo wrote:

LINK

When doing a little tour of various cities in 2016 in October with some friends--a few of my longtime friends and I all turned 40 that year--one of the places we visited was Louisville. Of course, Churchill Downs was a must-stop. We went there on the last day of the meet. We could not believe what a sh*thole the area was. Could. Not. Believe. It.

you have been there since I was there....the last time I was there (2012ish), they were finished with most of the renovations and skyboxes, but they had not installed that massive video board that now hovers over the backstretch. I am glad you have been there, because it is hard to explain the difference in where you likely imagine it would be, and the reality of where it is in Louisville. On television, it appears to be the perfect picture of privilege and wealth....and none of that exists 30 feet outside the front door.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 5:52 pm    Post subject:

^
Yeah, we were all absolutely stunned.

In other news, the 25th horse death of the season at Santa Anita happened today.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: