Tyronn Lue celebrating as Lakers Head Coach (Update: NO DEAL!!! - pg.4)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chains
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 11:00 pm    Post subject:

Laker7 wrote:
kwase wrote:
Ty Lue is an idiot for not taking that 3-year deal. Mark my words...he'll NEVER get another head coaching job in the NBA. It's not like he had offers on the table. Turning down $18 million to instead make $0. Stupid!

Ehhh not really. He is still being paid by the Cav's after they fired him. Rumor is we offered him less than what he is making sitting home and doing nothing.

But what the Cavs are paying is not gonna last forever. Had he coached the Lakers and done good, then that would have secured him for several more years. Obviously no one else has wanted him.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 11:04 pm    Post subject:

Finally all threads Lue can die.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:43 pm    Post subject:

Bumping for clarity.

Do we know exactly why Lue pulled out?

Was that a blessing in disguise for the Lakers?
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:45 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Bumping for clarity.

He didn’t want to deal with the kids.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:48 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Finally all threads Lue can die.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:32 pm    Post subject:

I doubt Lue would have been able to get the Lakers to the Defensive Level they are currently playing at...
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:47 pm    Post subject:

What's that Garth Brooks song? Thank God for unanswered prayers.

This would be one of those...
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:59 pm    Post subject:

I am sure Ty Lue and Monty would have had a good record with AD and Lebron. When you have talent like that, it is like Shaq and Kobe almost. You rarely see the best big in the game paired with the best guard and we have that, since Lebron is basically a guard right now for us.

I do think there would have been some differences in how we played, what Lebron's and AD's role was. Monty would have run the O much more like he has in Phx, with a lot more pace and space with AD at the 5. Ty Lue would have run the offense similar to the Cavs style O where you see a lot of AD jumpshooting and not really a post up threat. You probably see the team play at a higher pace with Monty, and more 3 point shooting, and with Lue you see the team maybe not play at a high pace, but definitely use more of a 2 guard attack with Lebron not the primary PG and AD doing a lot of 3 point and jumpshooting. Lue was probably the better fit of the two for a team like the Lakers over Monty. I just didn't think Lue was going to have the same relationship with other players based on his relationship with Lebron. It would have been a major obstacle IMO. Players know if a coach is more tight and in bed with the superstar.

I think what Frank has done is really different from the common ground in the NBA. He went back to what Lebron's role was a long time ago, and really went all out on that. He saw a vision that Lebron could be a team's starting PG on offense and that AD would be the big he delivered the ball to. Sort of like Kobe and Shaq, again in a different way. I don't think too many coaches would have valued Avery Bradley, Caruso, and Rondo. Not too many guys would want to touch Dwight Howard. None of those guys are 3 point shooters (Ironically Rondo has become one) or typical pace/space point guards or Centers. Yet we are relying on them heavily and it is all built on a vision where Lebron is AD's point guard. I think this took a lot of vision and I believe Frank is the one who saw this sort of defensive style, Lebron/AD ballhandling guard/bigman combo like this. A lot of coaches would go with what is working right now which is pace and space, and AD at the 5, Lebron at the 4 and a point guard running the show. We do that with Rondo sometimes and we do that with AD at the 5, but it is an element of a much bigger arsenal of jabs we throw at teams. No way I see Monty or Lue do it that way, but I think guys like Pop. Spo, and some other coaches would have done things a lot like Frank has. To me Frank is establishing himself with that class of coach. But he has to prove it in the playoffs, too, like Spo did.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:09 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Bumping for clarity.

Because we cheaped out and offered him a 3 year deal instead of 5.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:12 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
I am sure Ty Lue and Monty would have had a good record with AD and Lebron. When you have talent like that, it is like Shaq and Kobe almost. You rarely see the best big in the game paired with the best guard and we have that, since Lebron is basically a guard right now for us.

I do think there would have been some differences in how we played, what Lebron's and AD's role was. Monty would have run the O much more like he has in Phx, with a lot more pace and space with AD at the 5. Ty Lue would have run the offense similar to the Cavs style O where you see a lot of AD jumpshooting and not really a post up threat. You probably see the team play at a higher pace with Monty, and more 3 point shooting, and with Lue you see the team maybe not play at a high pace, but definitely use more of a 2 guard attack with Lebron not the primary PG and AD doing a lot of 3 point and jumpshooting. Lue was probably the better fit of the two for a team like the Lakers over Monty. I just didn't think Lue was going to have the same relationship with other players based on his relationship with Lebron. It would have been a major obstacle IMO. Players know if a coach is more tight and in bed with the superstar.

I think what Frank has done is really different from the common ground in the NBA. He went back to what Lebron's role was a long time ago, and really went all out on that. He saw a vision that Lebron could be a team's starting PG on offense and that AD would be the big he delivered the ball to. Sort of like Kobe and Shaq, again in a different way. I don't think too many coaches would have valued Avery Bradley, Caruso, and Rondo. Not too many guys would want to touch Dwight Howard. None of those guys are 3 point shooters (Ironically Rondo has become one) or typical pace/space point guards or Centers. Yet we are relying on them heavily and it is all built on a vision where Lebron is AD's point guard. I think this took a lot of vision and I believe Frank is the one who saw this sort of defensive style, Lebron/AD ballhandling guard/bigman combo like this. A lot of coaches would go with what is working right now which is pace and space, and AD at the 5, Lebron at the 4 and a point guard running the show. We do that with Rondo sometimes and we do that with AD at the 5, but it is an element of a much bigger arsenal of jabs we throw at teams. No way I see Monty or Lue do it that way, but I think guys like Pop. Spo, and some other coaches would have done things a lot like Frank has. To me Frank is establishing himself with that class of coach. But he has to prove it in the playoffs, too, like Spo did.

Good points.

I was disappointed that Lue passed on the job, but I really like the defensive tone Vogel has set.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:29 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Good points.

I was disappointed that Lue passed on the job, but I really like the defensive tone Vogel has set.

Lue to me was like Byron for Kobe, although Lue is a better head coach obviously. Every other player knew their was a favoritism involved for the superstar. AD comes in, he gets encouraged to play like K Love. Do we really want that for our superstar who we want to re-sign for 5 years? We want AD to feel like he is the face of the franchise and the guy we are building around on both ends. Which is why I found the choice to move Lebron to PG almost genius like, now. At first I didn't know how it would work. Was curious all summer if we were legit going to play that way and start him as a PG on offense. Now that I have seen it in effect. It's really smart.

There's this small concern that maybe AD pulls a Dwight 2012-13 and walks, because he doesn't feel he is a big part of the team - after we trade for him. Again, this is when you have a guy like Lue, I think there was some potential for that. By making Lebron point, and now we've challenged him to lead the league in assists, we're showing our hand to AD that we're building around him. Frank has no ties to Lebron. Clean slate.

As a Laker fan I feel better knowing that the coach values AD just as much as Lebron, and understands AD's value to the team goes way beyond this season. Lebron to his credit has fully bought in and supported that.

Finally, Lue his last year. I dunno. I thought he did a crappy job with those Cavs that last year after doing a really good job that first year. They looked disinterested in defense. The East was just weak without Kawhi on the Raps and Lebron's path to the Finals with Kyrie and Love, not so hard back then. Dunno the Cavs situation all that well but from outside it looked like a team that was not all that well coached, that last season Lebron was there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:57 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
Bumping for clarity.

He didn’t want to deal with the kids.

Real men don’t pull out...
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:11 pm    Post subject:

Honestly dodged a bullet. Never wanted Lue.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:46 pm    Post subject:

So far so good with Frankie V
cannga11
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:32 am    Post subject:

Just about now Lue thinking hmm maybe I should not have. Decisions made hastily in the "heat of battle" is often not the "wisest."

OTOH I am VERY glad Lue is not the coach. Can't argue with success, can we?
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:58 pm    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
Bumping for clarity.

Now that Doc beat him out for the Philly job, do you think Ty regrets not taking 3 years from the Lakers?
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:01 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
Bumping for clarity.

Now that Doc beat him out for the Philly job, do you think Ty regrets not taking 3 years from the Lakers?

OKC, Clippers and the Pelicans all have openings right? I think he lands in one of those spots with a promotion on the Clippers the most likely.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:51 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
Bumping for clarity.

OKC, Clippers and the Pelicans all have openings right? I think he lands in one of those spots with a promotion on the Clippers the most likely.

It was certainly a gamble on Lue’s part. He bet on himself and the market changing in his favor. So far it looks like he’s been correct. He’s now the top candidate on the market for every job. I believe he was the highest paid assistant last season and now he’s likely to land a deal longer than 3 years.
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:55 pm    Post subject:

Is he any better than Luke Walton? Serious question.

I mean people with way more BBIQ than me suspected Vogel was pretty good just on making the pacers competitive... With Roy fricken Hibbert and "Superstar PG13".

ocho wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
Bumping for clarity.

It was certainly a gamble on Lue’s part. He bet on himself and the market changing in his favor. So far it looks like he’s been correct. He’s now the top candidate on the market for every job. I believe he was the highest paid assistant last season and now he’s likely to land a deal longer than 3 years.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:56 pm    Post subject:

Lue could get a 10 year offer for all I care. Him turning us down worked out in our favor. Vogel is a damn good coach.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:58 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
Bumping for clarity.

The Nets hired Steve Nash.

The Bulls hired Billy Donovan.

The Sixers hired Doc Rivers.

Someone posted an article that said Ballmer wanted to dump everyone on the coaching staff - presumably that included Ty Lue?

I don't consider the Pels a top coaching job. Maybe he gets Houston? The guy may have bet on himself and lost.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:58 pm    Post subject:

Never even saw this thread before. Thank you Lue for turning down our offer. Thank you from the bottom of this Laker fan's heart. Best of luck on your next endeavor.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:59 pm    Post subject:

oaktown_dimond wrote:
Is he any better than Luke Walton? Serious question.

I mean people with way more BBIQ than me suspected Vogel was pretty good just on making the pacers competitive... With Roy fricken Hibbert and "Superstar PG13".

ocho wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
Bumping for clarity.

I think Lue is a significantly better coach than Luke. He’s a very interesting what-if in our history. I was supportive of hiring Lue but it’s very difficult to make the argument he would have done better than Vogel.
composite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:59 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
Lue could get a 10 year offer for all I care. Him turning us down worked out in our favor. Vogel is a damn good coach.

Exactly. Vogel has been great.

The last time I was this happy that a coach turned down my team's offer was when first Mike Riley, and second Dennis Erickson each turned down the USC Football coach offer.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:00 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
Bumping for clarity.

I don't begrudge Lue for balking at a 3 year deal. I'll admit, that was a bit of an insulting offer. That said, I can't complain about Vogel stepping up. We're potentially going to win the title going 16-3(?) during a season where we were basically playing with house money. This is year 1 and the team has collectively bought in. People nitpick his x's and o's on offense but at the end of the day, the hardest thing in coaching is to get the superstars to buy in and it looks like everyone in the organization from top to bottom are all on the same page.

I don't think Lebron has ever had a situation where he's had this much trust in his teammates since the earlier part of his MIami tenure where Wade was still Wade. Down 13 in the first and he's okay with being on the bench and letting AD shoulder the load. What a team Pelinka put together. I'd be putting out a diss track a la Hit 'em Up if I were Pelinka but I'm a petty sumabitch. The amount of abuse the front office took from fans and media alike was comically unfair and we're seeing a LOT of people singing a different tune.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 14 of 17
Jump to: