I Formally Apologize to Jim Buss
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 1:25 pm    Post subject:

Because we didn't sign Tyronn Lue? Or because of the drama? There was plenty of drama when Dr. Buss was around too, but people overlooked it because the team won. There were also plenty of coaching failures with Doc in charge. As I recall, there was some criticism that he wouldn't pony up the dollars for an elite coach until Phil came along. Anyway, great players matter a hell of a lot more than coaches, things are never perfect, and Jim sucks.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 1:26 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Uh no.
Jim Buss does not deserve the apology.
You sign Mos and Deng to those deals, hire Mike Brown/Byron/MDA and they all fail - you made your bed.

Jeanie has at least signed the best player in the game, and so far not on her watch made a move that you could say was as bad as signing Moz/Deng.

Is Jeanie looking bad - yes.
Will she be as bad as Jim - maybe.

Would I rather have someone more competent- absolutely.

However I also realize Jeanie has a team in place right now that has

Top 3 player in the game at worst
Ingram, Ball, Kuz on dirt cheap rookie contracts.
Lottery pick.
35 million for a max player or to be split on two quality starters.

I will await until end of July to join you, Yinoma.

Yeaaah Jim and Mitch deserved to get fired, I'm still glad they did. I'll wait till the end of summer before I pass judgment on this regime
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 1:30 pm    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Uh no.
You sign Mos and Deng to those deals, hire Mike Brown/Byron/MDA and they all fail - you made your bed.

Jeanie has at least signed the best player in the game, and so far not on her watch made a move that you could say was as bad as signing Moz/Deng.

Lottery pick.

Yeaaah Jim and Mitch deserved to get fired, I'm still glad they did. I'll wait till the end of summer before I pass judgment on this regime
\
That's how I view it. Although I don't think Mitch should have been fired based on his ability to execute trades. He needed a new boss, but since he was so tied to Jim, the change was made. He was the guy I wish we kept, because while he may have made mistakes, he executed trades and played the media perfectly.

We need an asset in the FO, and we have NONE as far as I know. Mitch was one, atleast when it came to trades. He's who I would apologize to. Jim is incompetent and didn't do anything to deserve this kind of praise.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 1:37 pm    Post subject:

I preferred the direction of the team when Mitch was the GM.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 1:38 pm    Post subject:

Bol wrote:
Because we didn't sign Tyronn Lue? Or because of the drama? There was plenty of drama when Dr. Buss was around too, but people overlooked it because the team won. There were also plenty of coaching failures with Doc in charge. As I recall, there was some criticism that he wouldn't pony up the dollars for an elite coach until Phil came along. Anyway, great players matter a hell of a lot more than coaches, things are never perfect, and Jim sucks.

Not even in the same galaxy.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 1:49 pm    Post subject:

Never approved of the coup. Never approved of the impatient hysteria of local Laker media and fans. It was always law of averages to me, and knowing that there is no exact science to this. I can only think of one super star in the prime of his career who bolted a team to join LA, and that was Shaq. But during the Jim/Mitch bash era, the narrative became how super stars used to come to the Lakers all the time, and the those days are gone because of Jim and Mitch. Funny, my memory was different. I remember the likes of Lorenzen Wright, Kendal Gill using the Lakers as leverage, and that nobody of any significance ever came "in their prime" besides for Shaq. But ask anybody who wanted Jim and Mitch gone. "We used to sign super stars all the time!!!"
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 1:54 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
Never approved of the coup. Never approved of the impatient hysteria of local Laker media and fans. It was always law of averages to me, and knowing that there is no exact science to this. I can only think of one super star in the prime of his career who bolted a team to join LA, and that was Shaq. But during the Jim/Mitch bash era, the narrative became how super stars used to come to the Lakers all the time, and the those days are gone because of Jim and Mitch. Funny, my memory was different. I remember the likes of Lorenzen Wright, Kendal Gill using the Lakers as leverage, and that nobody of any significance ever came "in their prime" besides for Shaq. But ask anybody who wanted Jim and Mitch gone. "We used to sign super stars all the time!!!"

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Jeanie has had ONE year of capspace so far right?
This will be summer 2, right?

In year 1, on her watch, she signed LBJ. The best FA out there at the time and the best player in the league at the time.

Can you honestly tell me it's unreasonable to wait until the summer unfolds before we openly declare she will on her watch sign players of the Mozgov and Deng level instead of superstars?

I mean we can't assume that they will fail just based on media reports that Linda is running the team. If indeed the Rambis' have gained power, that is one thing. It doesn't automatically mean they will go out and find a way to destroy the capspace the franchise has worked hard to mantain.

I am interested to see what happens in July. If we end up with nothing, certainly it's time to vent. I won't vent on moves that have yet to happen, which is what many are doing. This is what the SASs of the world want to happen. For all we know, we could sign two starters who fit in beautifully with LBJ, Ball/Ingram develop, we make a smart trade, and we're now one of the top 2 teams in the West next year. You never know. However on the flip if we go out and max a player that is clearly not the player we know is worth that, I'll be right there with the rest.

Last edited by wolfpaclaker on Thu May 09, 2019 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 2:00 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I told you guys all along that Jeanie was the problem

Same.

Amazing that Jim and Mitch's plan would have had us in a much better situation right now than the archaic one Jeanie brought back.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 2:18 pm    Post subject:

Jim, and now maybe Jeanie, are to the Lakers as George W Bush was to America.

The dad was honorable and respected, but the kids didn't earn or deserve the same title or power.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 2:42 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Same.

Amazing that Jim and Mitch's plan would have had us in a much better situation right now than the archaic one Jeanie brought back.

What plan? They still thought we were a playoff team up until the LMA debacle, then fell assbackwards into tanking. Let's not pretend they were steering us into clear waters. At least before Magic abruptly quit, we were looking like a team on the rise.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 3:28 pm    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
JustaObserver
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 3:37 pm    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Uh no.

Lottery pick.

they didnt DESERVE to have that idiot MAGIC be their BOSS NOR TO GET FIRED...JEANIE SHOULD have kept her mouth SHUT or STEP DOWN.

LET ME FILL IN THE AVERAGE ESPN FAN REPLY:
MOZZ AND DENG!...MOZ AND DENG!..the only thing most people got to say...

Ohhhh well...welll...ummmm...he looks weird with his hat on...ummm...uuumm....Stephen A and ESPN TOLD me to not like him...smh...

.PLEASE!!!!!!!! Give it up! Under him we got RINGS and CHAMPIONSHIPS...what you got under Jeanie?

....ILL Wait.......
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 3:41 pm    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
MJST wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Same.

What plan? They still thought we were a playoff team up until the LMA debacle, then fell assbackwards into tanking. Let's not pretend they were steering us into clear waters. At least before Magic abruptly quit, we were looking like a team on the rise.

They started building through the draft and stopped really focusing on established stars. They were building through draft and developing their own stars; DLO, Ingram, Randle, and Zu, almost every position filled. I believe they would've gotten Zo or DeAndre fox to fit that mold and fill the point guard position. They hired a young coach in Luke to develop with them and they were on an upward stride before getting fired. Then all that work fell to shambles when the new regime got hired and we went back to focusing on established stars. Our young players were reaching their potential else where and the Lakers were ready to trade all the young talent for Anthony Davis. It isn't hard to see Jim and Mitch's plan, but their plan were ruined.
Kava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 3:41 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:

Mitch was a calm stabilizing GM.
JustaObserver
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 3:43 pm    Post subject:

ALSO that idiot could have got Freakin JERRY WEST over here last year...but NOoooo! I guess MAGIC and Linda Rambis had more experience building a team than he does...smh
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 3:44 pm    Post subject:

Like I said before, Jeanie should have replace Jim with an experienced POBO at his deadline, kept Mitch and let Magic remain a special consultant that does FA PR trips once a year.

Why does everything have to be sooo hard with these guys?
JustaObserver
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 3:47 pm    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
Like I said before, Jeanie should have replace Jim with an experienced POBO at his deadline, kept Mitch and let Magic remain a special consultant that does FA PR trips once a year.

Why does everything have to be sooo hard with these guys?

For what reason...because of what his own timeline? People sometimes say dumb things under the camera but who cares...She couldn't find anyone better than what he accomplished...who is a good PRES or GM...that a team during that time..was throwing away? RJ Buford...Larry Bird....Danny Ainge?...i really dont think they were coming over here
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 6:00 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Uh no.

Lottery pick.

People are forgetting Jim pushed out Phil Jackson out of coaching. It's been 7 years and we've changed head coaches since then from Brown, Eddie Jordan, D'Antoni, Byron, Luke. No one sticks. This all began with Jim, he never should have allowed the Lakers to do tanking. We should have went the Spurs route. We're not a franchise that ever tanked, and to begin that culture was ALL ON Jim. He thought it would yield results, but it hasn't.

Tanking is not always a win, and for every time it has worked, there's 10 cases where teams are stuck. We unfortunately are one of those 10 cases. We didn't cash in on draft picks like Philadelphia did. Our talent is not comparable unfortunately. For every Philadelphia, there's Sacramento, and teams like Minnesota, who have been stuck for so long. We were in such a good spot in 2011, even with a declining old team. You don't banish a head coach like that, and don't just dump assets like Gasol for nothing. We lost a major asset at the time in Howard, for nothing. I know the CP3 was a thing that they tried, but still it wasn't actually something that went through.

It seems to me thanking the guy or saying sorry to the guy who began the tanking process is the least Laker like thing to do. Lakers should have never began tanking IMO. Dr Buss would have never allowed it. The tanking has created this losing culture that is so difficult to get out. Top it off with children inheriting jobs they haven't earned, it compounds the issue even more. Jeanie hasn't helped the cause much, but at least signing Lebron was a step away from losing. I give her another season, to be fair. At least the summer.

1) Phil Jackson very quickly thereafter became physically incapable of being a full-time NBA head coach.

2) Keeping Phil around was the equivalent of forcing Ty Lue to hire Jason Kidd as an assistant: Jim knew his replacement would be in the queue ready to go.

3) Who knows what Buss and Mitch's tanking strategy may have wrought if they hadn't been ousted midstream. But I do love how you blithely suggest they "should've followed the Spurs model" like it's a choice between Coke or Pepsi at the movie theater.

Jimmy Buss was not good for the Lakers overall, but whooo howdy! this well-written post is full of some stinky defenses. It's a chocolate covered turd.
petergr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 6:04 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

I always believed that...Jeanie was much better at playing the media game and constantly churning out hit pieces on Jim Buss.

She gave the Kobe Arenas contract and then comes out and says...my brother assured me he could build a championship contender even with this contract

pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 6:08 pm    Post subject:

Mitch right now:

https://media.giphy.com/media/FSQokIfEe2hSo/giphy.gif
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 6:08 pm    Post subject:

Also, I love the Howard revisionism. Mitch should've traded pending free agent Dwight Howard by the trade deadline mere months after trading for him while en route to a playoff appearance? People would be in here today crapping down Mitch's throat for only getting two second round picks for Howard in this alternate future. It's straight up victim blaming when Howard was the cowardly puritanical hypocritical putz who loafed and moaned and gave up when the going got tough.

(bleep) Dwight Howard and (bleep) every LG.com poster who weaponizes the sanctimonious (bleep) against Jim Buss and Mitch Kupchak. You're below contemptible imbecility.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 6:12 pm    Post subject:

JustaObserver wrote:
ALSO that idiot could have got Freakin JERRY WEST over here last year...but NOoooo! I guess MAGIC and Linda Rambis had more experience building a team than he does...smh

It's so damn frustrating that both Buss kids (and Magic) seemed to not want The Logo here.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 6:15 pm    Post subject:

Lastly, don't apologize to that failson Jim Buss.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 6:16 pm    Post subject:

Did i sleep through a season? When did we have Eddie Jordan as coach?
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 6:29 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
deal wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I’ll grant you that man. No idea how you saw through it and you caught a lot of flack for it but you were right.

Ditto V ! I don't think I have commented, but yeah, seems you have been right
all along man. I tip my hat.

He wasn't right. Jim was a complete failure. Jeanie is as well. Both can be true

--Anonymous
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8
Jump to: