Frank Vogel Official Lakers Head Coach for 3-Years
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 56, 57, 58 ... 222, 223, 224  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are you happy about Vogel becoming our coach?
No
12%
 12%  [ 62 ]
Yes
54%
 54%  [ 271 ]
Neutral
32%
 32%  [ 163 ]
Total Votes : 496

LKA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 8:43 pm    Post subject:

YSong wrote:
JustaObserver wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
Practice wrote:
Vogel on ESPN Radio:
"We want FT's 1st. Layups at the rim 2nd. Corner threes 3rd. Angle 3's 4th and then the mid range jumpshot. That's how we're going to prioritize our shot selection."

what's the meaning of free throws first?

Means a lot of drive to the hoop to draw fouls...harden strategy

Free points. Vogel is being logical.

Team better practice their crappy ass FT shooting

Just trade em. Can't teach an old puppy new tricks. Can't make a bad shooter a good one... most the time.
VocabuLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 8:46 pm    Post subject:

LBJ23 wrote:
Staccatos wrote:
Killakobe81 wrote:
LKA wrote:
Why does his dude feel the need to say OK after every (bleep) sentence.

Damn that is annoying af

Alvin Gentry does the same ...

A lot of people do it, this quora seems to make sense to me.

When people say "okay" at the end of a sentence, is that supposed to be mean or rude?

https://www.quora.com/When-people-say-okay-at-the-end-of-a-sentence-is-that-supposed-to-be-mean-or-rude

Quote:
Saying OK at the end of a sentence is often about control. One might say “OK?” to you if they want to emphasize that they’d like to control your behavior in some way. It can also convey concern (often used by medical personnel i.e. “we’re going to take you for a ride in the ambulance, OK?”) but in other contexts can be rude or irritating (“guys, I need you to sit quietly, OK?”). Teachers use it a lot. If a stranger addresses me then says “OK?”, I might get offended (“we were first in line, OK?”). Most of the time, I don’t care for it unless I’m in a medical or emergency situation or are otherwise being given instructions by someone in an official capacity.

But saying OK is also about making mutual agreements between friends (why don’t I give you a call tomorrow, OK?). Its seldom rude in that situation. Or its just about passing information along (I’ll be home about 5PM, OK?). The “OK” is often optional here and many omit it altogether, but adding it provides assurance that the information was received and understood. In the military, you might reply by saying “roger”.

So saying “OK?” to me can be either about control, making a mutual agreement or simply conveying useful information to another person. It seems only offensive, mean or rude in the first instance.

Ok

Geezzzz. I got criticized on this forum for saying that it was annoying that Mitch Kupchak said "Ya Know" 1 billion times every sentence and now people are concerned about Frank saying "ok" It was like Mitch Kupchak was a holy god or something and no one could talk about his annoying speaking habit.
Japago
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 9:46 pm    Post subject:

Vogel said the things I wanted to hear. He wants to run a modern NBA offense based on principles set by analytics.

The problem now is that the roster doesn't fit a team that wants to play that way. Between LeBron and the young core, all of them shoot below 34% from 3. Ingram doesn't take nearly enough of them. Kuzma is a decent FT shooter, but the rest are below 68%. Lonzo is a disaster at below 42%.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 9:49 pm    Post subject:

Japago wrote:
Vogel said the things I wanted to hear. He wants to run a modern NBA offense based on principles set by analytics.

The problem now is that the roster doesn't fit a team that wants to play that way. Between LeBron and the young core, all of them shoot below 34% from 3. Ingram doesn't take nearly enough of them. Kuzma is a decent FT shooter, but the rest are below 68%. Lonzo is a disaster at below 42%.

After this, maybe the organization will finally fell prompted to hire a shooting coach.
chickenjoy24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 9:51 pm    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
Japago wrote:

After this, maybe the organization will finally fell prompted to hire a shooting coach.

With Jeanie/Rambis/Pelinka at helm? Doubt it.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 9:55 pm    Post subject:

JustaObserver wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
Practice wrote:
Vogel on ESPN Radio:
"We want FT's 1st. Layups at the rim 2nd. Corner threes 3rd. Angle 3's 4th and then the mid range jumpshot. That's how we're going to prioritize our shot selection."

Do the majority of Harden's free throws come from drives to the hoop vs. jumping forward 5 feet into stationary or short/closing out defenders?
Rubin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 11:13 pm    Post subject:

YSong wrote:
JustaObserver wrote:
YSong wrote:
JustaObserver wrote:
YSong wrote:
JustaObserver wrote:
YSong wrote:
JustaObserver wrote:
YSong wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
YSong wrote:
waterman40 wrote:
Mike Bresnahan: Vogel said he hoped the Lakers’ roster next season looked “very much like it does right now.” “I have a great confidence level and excitement about our young core,” Vogel told @RealAClifton 49 mins ago – via Twitter Mike_Bresnahan

That should make some people more easy on LG.

Keeping their value as suppose to Magic saying I’m trying all these babies

How is old LeBron, Kawhi with one leg, and 65 games a year and no playoffs AD going to win without a bench?

And AD and LBJ by themselves?

They won't anything for sure.

The Pelicans won't trade us AD for anything reasonable so you guys should give up on the Godfather trade and hope we can sign a good agent or two... draft a nice player and develop the kids.

This pushing for the Frankenstein pipe dream needs to stop not only from management from the fanbase as well.

Here’s a secret. How did Miami with LBJ Wade and Bosh and no bench do? Oh they found a bunch of decent vets and cheap young guys to fill it out

You make it seem like they’re out there playing 3 on 5.

Please come up with a new argument

How did the nets do? #Pleasestopthegodfatheroption

What do the Nets have to do with the conversation?

If you don’t know what that means then that’s a problem....kg Ray Allen and pierce ...why for so long do you think the nets had no first round picks?

I’m sorry but everyone and their mom knew PP and KG were garbage except Billy King. Oh btw next time you try to play it off like you know what you’re talking about ... Ray Allen wasn’t on the Nets. He ditched Boston to join the Heat way before.

My bad on the Allen part you right he went to the Beatles for the 3 4 no 5 rings they won there playing with the heat....basically it still remains true that every fan wants a super team and I bet you weren’t over on the nets forum when that got them saying ohhh oh pierce and kg washed up nor were they saying that...they were saying we getting 3-15 rings .You want the same as them some super team which is three stupid stars and if one of them gets injured look 👀 straight at ad....you’re DONE! You not beating GS and may be heading your tail back to the lottery.....why? BECAUSE you spent whatever cape money left on has beens....picture MOZ and chandler combined with beasly and Mcgee and rondo pffft lmao! Maybe get you some ymca walk ons to fill the rest of the roster....you want a job playing? Because that’s the support around them is going to be but don’t worry we can get talent from the draft....whoops! nope we traded them away! For what? injury prone stars ....welp we made you happy and that what counts tho. Right?

Seriously you wrote all that? Let’s put things in perspective.

I’m sorry but any combo of LeBron plus Kawhi/Kyrie/AD is infinitely better than your KG and PP comparison

Better perspective....no support and one injury? Ya done...get the sandman on stage....

You realize the Lakers have options right ?

Option 1 - LBJ + max FA + young core + #4 pick + $5mm vet

Option 2 - LBJ + AD + max FA + role players

Me personally I like option 1 and some patience

All things equal, any sense which the Lakers would prefer given the option?

IMO, if you sign a second max FA, you need to go all in, whether that’s for AD, Beal or someone else. As much as it’d hurt to lose most/all of our young core, you need to do everything possible to squeeze a championship out of LeBron if you’re able to sign a second star in the first place.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 4:53 am    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
Japago wrote:

I will eat my hat if it happens
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 5:01 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
panamaniac wrote:
Japago wrote:

If last few years are any indication jeanie is too cheap to hire a shooting coach
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 5:14 am    Post subject:

repandpresent wrote:
I like coach Vogel, I thought he did a great job with the pieces Larry gave him. My concern with him is his fascination with traditional big men.

Dunno if it helps allay those fears... but when Frank was their head coach, the Pacers drafted Myles Turner and he probably had some input into that pick? Myles isn't a traditional big man... 6'11" shot blocker with good handling and shooting. I think he's a good modern C TBH.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 5:16 am    Post subject:

LBJ23 wrote:
Vogel is going to look at the Lakers Free throw percentage and switch Free throws to last on his list. Lol

Lol yeah. We're gonna have to overhaul the roster and allocate minutes a helluva lot differently if we employ Vogel's "free throws first" strategy.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 5:31 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
danzag wrote:
panamaniac wrote:
Japago wrote:

If last few years are any indication jeanie is too cheap to hire a shooting coach

Unbelievable that we're in 20 (bleep) 19 and we don't have a dedicated shooting coach

As GT pointed out last year several times, guys are lacking fundamentals regarding mechanics, like shooting free throws with each foot turned into a different direction and (bleep) like that
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 6:35 am    Post subject:

VocabuLaker wrote:
LBJ23 wrote:
Staccatos wrote:
Killakobe81 wrote:
LKA wrote:
Why does his dude feel the need to say OK after every (bleep) sentence.

Damn that is annoying af

Alvin Gentry does the same ...

A lot of people do it, this quora seems to make sense to me.

When people say "okay" at the end of a sentence, is that supposed to be mean or rude?

https://www.quora.com/When-people-say-okay-at-the-end-of-a-sentence-is-that-supposed-to-be-mean-or-rude

Quote:
Saying OK at the end of a sentence is often about control. One might say “OK?” to you if they want to emphasize that they’d like to control your behavior in some way. It can also convey concern (often used by medical personnel i.e. “we’re going to take you for a ride in the ambulance, OK?”) but in other contexts can be rude or irritating (“guys, I need you to sit quietly, OK?”). Teachers use it a lot. If a stranger addresses me then says “OK?”, I might get offended (“we were first in line, OK?”). Most of the time, I don’t care for it unless I’m in a medical or emergency situation or are otherwise being given instructions by someone in an official capacity.

But saying OK is also about making mutual agreements between friends (why don’t I give you a call tomorrow, OK?). Its seldom rude in that situation. Or its just about passing information along (I’ll be home about 5PM, OK?). The “OK” is often optional here and many omit it altogether, but adding it provides assurance that the information was received and understood. In the military, you might reply by saying “roger”.

So saying “OK?” to me can be either about control, making a mutual agreement or simply conveying useful information to another person. It seems only offensive, mean or rude in the first instance.

Ok

Geezzzz. I got criticized on this forum for saying that it was annoying that Mitch Kupchak said "Ya Know" 1 billion times every sentence and now people are concerned about Frank saying "ok" It was like Mitch Kupchak was a holy god or something and no one could talk about his annoying speaking habit.

I mean its an OKAY theory from some random dude from quora but really its just a pause in a person's thinking and speech. Its no different then a persons saying umm or like or right or ya know. A lot of people do it, Obama who was know for being a great speaker did it all the time

Its unatural for a lot of people to think in their head while being silent so they says one of these place holders to collecting their thoughts or they use them to create a rhythm to their speech pattern. Not really a big deal
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 7:42 am    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
Japago wrote:

Shooting coaches cost money
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 7:47 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
panamaniac wrote:
Japago wrote:

Shooting coaches cost money

Doesn't seem like money is an issue for the FO. They were willing to pay the salaries for a coaching staff of Lue + Vogel + Kidd. Since Lue didn't accept that offer, they have part of that money to offer a shooting coach.

Someone really needs to impress upon them the need to hire a shooting coach though! Any thoughts on how to do that?
LKA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 7:50 am    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
I mean.. you guys act like our current squad can't work on improving their FT shooting.

Rightfully so....this past roster sucked at free throws. Sucked! Not decent, ok, room for improvement, we sucked.

Lonzo should be the first one there and the last one to leave everyday once practice starts. He beyond sucks.

Let's see, room for improvement?

Lonzo - 41.7%
Chandler - 59.4%
McGee - 63.2%
Rondo - 63.9%
Lebron - 66.5%
Ingram - 67.5%
Hart - 68.8%

No denying how much of an issue it is.. I'm simply saying it can be rectified to an extent.

Rondo McGee, and Chandler probably won't be back.

Ingram was actually trending in a 75% range.. I think it's reasonable to expect Hart to improve as well.

Zo, and Bron are question marks granted..

Let's be real here. Lonzo will never be a good FT shooter. You expect him to go from 41% to 80? It doesn't work like that. Ingram will never be a great freethrow shooter either, most likely. It's not easy to turn bad shooters into good shooters. Better off shipping them away for a better piece next to LeBron. Someone who can shoot. Someone that won't lose you a crucial playoff game by tossing a couple Shaq's
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 7:54 am    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
JustaObserver wrote:
YSong wrote:
JustaObserver wrote:
YSong wrote:
JustaObserver wrote:
YSong wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
YSong wrote:
waterman40 wrote:
Mike Bresnahan: Vogel said he hoped the Lakers’ roster next season looked “very much like it does right now.” “I have a great confidence level and excitement about our young core,” Vogel told @RealAClifton 49 mins ago – via Twitter Mike_Bresnahan

That should make some people more easy on LG.

Keeping their value as suppose to Magic saying I’m trying all these babies

How is old LeBron, Kawhi with one leg, and 65 games a year and no playoffs AD going to win without a bench?

And AD and LBJ by themselves?

They won't anything for sure.

The Pelicans won't trade us AD for anything reasonable so you guys should give up on the Godfather trade and hope we can sign a good agent or two... draft a nice player and develop the kids.

This pushing for the Frankenstein pipe dream needs to stop not only from management from the fanbase as well.

Here’s a secret. How did Miami with LBJ Wade and Bosh and no bench do? Oh they found a bunch of decent vets and cheap young guys to fill it out

You make it seem like they’re out there playing 3 on 5.

Please come up with a new argument

How did the nets do? #Pleasestopthegodfatheroption

What do the Nets have to do with the conversation?

If you don’t know what that means then that’s a problem....kg Ray Allen and pierce ...why for so long do you think the nets had no first round picks?

I’m sorry but everyone and their mom knew PP and KG were garbage except Billy King. Oh btw next time you try to play it off like you know what you’re talking about ... Ray Allen wasn’t on the Nets. He ditched Boston to join the Heat way before.

My bad on the Allen part you right he went to the Beatles for the 3 4 no 5 rings they won there playing with the heat....basically it still remains true that every fan wants a super team and I bet you weren’t over on the nets forum when that got them saying ohhh oh pierce and kg washed up nor were they saying that...they were saying we getting 3-15 rings .You want the same as them some super team which is three stupid stars and if one of them gets injured look 👀 straight at ad....you’re DONE! You not beating GS and may be heading your tail back to the lottery.....why? BECAUSE you spent whatever cape money left on has beens....picture MOZ and chandler combined with beasly and Mcgee and rondo pffft lmao! Maybe get you some ymca walk ons to fill the rest of the roster....you want a job playing? Because that’s the support around them is going to be but don’t worry we can get talent from the draft....whoops! nope we traded them away! For what? injury prone stars ....welp we made you happy and that what counts tho. Right?

You and the Nets former GM might be the only people who though Paul and KG still had it when that trade went down lol

At the time the went all in on trying to win a title. They already had guys like Bropez, D. Williams, and Joe Johnson so ofcourse add more vets to win it. Lakers did go in that same direction giving all those picks for grandpa Nash with his bad back. This is the same thing with trading all the core to go get Lebrun some help
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 7:59 am    Post subject:

LKA wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
I mean.. you guys act like our current squad can't work on improving their FT shooting.

Rightfully so....this past roster sucked at free throws. Sucked! Not decent, ok, room for improvement, we sucked.

Lonzo should be the first one there and the last one to leave everyday once practice starts. He beyond sucks.

Lonzo - 41.7%
Chandler - 59.4%
McGee - 63.2%
Rondo - 63.9%
Lebron - 66.5%
Ingram - 67.5%
Hart - 68.8%

No denying how much of an issue it is.. I'm simply saying it can be rectified to an extent.

Ingram was actually trending in a 75% range.. I think it's reasonable to expect Hart to improve as well.

Let's be real here. Lonzo will never be a good FT shooter. You expect him to go from 41% to 80? It doesn't work like that. Ingram will never be a great freethrow shooter either, most likely. It's not easy to turn bad shooters into good shooters. Better off shipping them away for a better piece next to LeBron. Someone who can shoot. Someone that won't lose you a crucial playoff game by tossing a couple Shaq's

Shooting is actually something you can develop, many players learn the skill later in their career, our new assistant coach was one of them.

Get ball and Ingram a good shooting coach, teach them to tweak their form and watch their shooting percent improve over time. These guys are barley 20. To say they can't get better at something that is based on form and repetition isn't something i can agree with

Last edited by Lucky_Shot on Tue May 21, 2019 8:03 am; edited 2 times in total
LKA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:02 am    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
LKA wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

Lonzo - 41.7%
Chandler - 59.4%
McGee - 63.2%
Rondo - 63.9%
Lebron - 66.5%
Ingram - 67.5%
Hart - 68.8%

Shooting is actually something you can develop, many players learn the skill later in their career, our new assistant coach was one of them.

Get ball and Ingram a good shooting coach, teach them to tweak their form and watch their shooting percent improve over time. These guys are barley 20. To say they can't get better at something that is based on form and repetition isn't something i can agree with

We'll see. There's many guys throughout the history of the league that never became good shooters. I wouldn't bank on it. And instead of wasting LeBron's time trying to develop guys I'd be in win-now mode looking to maximize the entire purpose of signing LeBron by surrounding him with ready to win guys, if I was GM. To each his own tho.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:11 am    Post subject:

LKA wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
LKA wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

Lonzo - 41.7%
Chandler - 59.4%
McGee - 63.2%
Rondo - 63.9%
Lebron - 66.5%
Ingram - 67.5%
Hart - 68.8%

We'll see. There's many guys throughout the history of the league that never became good shooters. I wouldn't bank on it. And instead of wasting LeBron's time trying to develop guys I'd be in win-now mode looking to maximize the entire purpose of signing LeBron by surrounding him with ready to win guys, if I was GM. To each his own tho.

If you think we should trade for AD or Beal I could see a really good argument in your favor (I was a big supporter to make a trade at the deadline for a little bit until the price became too much).

I'd rather keep devolving our guys and pick up another star in free agency. For two reasons:

one: It gives us more depth
two: winning with a team team of AD,Irving, LBJ and no one we drafted would feel hollow to me
LKA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:16 am    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
LKA wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
LKA wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

Lonzo - 41.7%
Chandler - 59.4%
McGee - 63.2%
Rondo - 63.9%
Lebron - 66.5%
Ingram - 67.5%
Hart - 68.8%

If you think we should trade for AD or Beal I could see a really good argument in your favor (I was a big supporter to make a trade at the deadline for a little bit until the price became too much).

I'd rather keep devolving our guys and pick up another star in free agency. For two reasons:

one: It gives us more depth
two: winning with a team team of AD,Irving, LBJ and no one we drafted would feel hollow to me

I'm all for trading for AD, but I doubt it can happen. Beal I'd do as well and that seems much more likely. Or I'd try to sign Butler and move guys for better fitting pieces around LeBron and Butler. Mainly all shooters.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 9:16 am    Post subject:

LKA wrote:
YSong wrote:
JustaObserver wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
Practice wrote:
Vogel on ESPN Radio:

Free points. Vogel is being logical.

Team better practice their crappy ass FT shooting

Just trade em. Can't teach an old puppy new tricks. Can't make a bad shooter a good one... most the time.

We need a dedicated shooting coach like Chip in San Antonio. Something we have needed for a long time
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 10:01 am    Post subject:

https://www.nba.com/lakers/frank-vogels-approach-nba-basketball

Quote:
“There’s been a major evolution stylistically how I want to play the game, and it’s about the evolution of the league,” he responded. “The whole league has changed with the 3-point shot and the amount of switching that occurs and is necessary to occur on some level – I do believe it’s overdone on some level. But the two years in Orlando, while we were developing the young talent – and it was a rebuild situation – turned into a little bit of a laboratory for me. To figure out this new NBA. Figure out this new world. What is the exact scheme that needs to go in to be successful in the modern NBA. It was a great learning experience. I continued that in my sabbatical year this past year, visiting with teams all around the league, having a lot of lengthy discussions about offensively, how to play this style of play and how to transform the scheme, and defensively as well.

OK, how can you NOT root for this guy?
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 10:05 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:

Quote:
“There’s been a major evolution stylistically how I want to play the game, and it’s about the evolution of the league,” he responded. “The whole league has changed with the 3-point shot and the amount of switching that occurs and is necessary to occur on some level – I do believe it’s overdone on some level. But the two years in Orlando, while we were developing the young talent – and it was a rebuild situation – turned into a little bit of a laboratory for me. To figure out this new NBA. Figure out this new world. What is the exact scheme that needs to go in to be successful in the modern NBA. It was a great learning experience. I continued that in my sabbatical year this past year, visiting with teams all around the league, having a lot of lengthy discussions about offensively, how to play this style of play and how to transform the scheme, and defensively as well.

If you think it’s just lip service. Not that I think it is, but could be.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 10:08 am    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
epak wrote:

Quote:

If you think it’s just lip service. Not that I think it is, but could be.

Always a possibility for that.
I would love for him to have gone and had talks with the likes of Pop, Kerr, Bud, etc.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 56, 57, 58 ... 222, 223, 224  Next
Page 57 of 224
Jump to: