Frank Vogel Official Lakers Head Coach for 3-Years
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 64, 65, 66 ... 222, 223, 224  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are you happy about Vogel becoming our coach?
No
12%
 12%  [ 62 ]
Yes
54%
 54%  [ 271 ]
Neutral
32%
 32%  [ 163 ]
Total Votes : 496

LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:10 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
Quote:
Reporting w/ @wojespn: The Lakers received permission from Golden State to talk to assistant Ron Adams about a role on Frank Vogel's staff, league sources tell ESPN. It’s unclear Adams' level of interest but Lakers could make case more compelling with significant financial offer.

First of all: Yes, awesome. And glad to hear we're thinking of buying already well-paid assistants off other teams.

But: This only makes the Hollins hire more redundant and puzzling. We're gonna have three defensive experts (really two + a supposed one)...when are we adding an offense/ x&o's guy?

Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:18 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
Quote:
Reporting w/ @wojespn: The Lakers received permission from Golden State to talk to assistant Ron Adams about a role on Frank Vogel's staff, league sources tell ESPN. It’s unclear Adams' level of interest but Lakers could make case more compelling with significant financial offer.

Now THIS is what I'm talking about. Get this done.

When it comes to defensive assistant coaches, Ron Adams is the next best thing after Tom Thibodeau.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:19 pm    Post subject:

Do it Rob!
TheWave
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:21 pm    Post subject:

Funny thing is this feel like the type of assistant Luke should’ve been able to get when forming his first staff
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:37 pm    Post subject:

Ron Adams would be an amazing get.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:10 pm    Post subject:

I would do a cartwheel down the stairs if they get Adams, but what is Hollins here for again?
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:19 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
I would do a cartwheel down the stairs if they get Adams, but what is Hollins here for again?

I was thinking the same thing.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:20 pm    Post subject:

TheWave wrote:
Funny thing is this feel like the type of assistant Luke should’ve been able to get when forming his first staff

Man, Luke was just terrible at assembling his frat, uh I mean his coaching staff.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:56 pm    Post subject:

Who says Hollins is going to run the D? Maybe they just want him to be a veteran voice to connect with the players in an old-school no nonsense approach.

Great to hear they’re targeting Adams. Would be a huge get.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:59 pm    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
Judah wrote:

Because they want to make sure there’s different philosophies I guess
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:00 pm    Post subject:

They are making an effort to get the best...
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:14 pm    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
Judah wrote:

The Rambii commanded his presence, and so it was done.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:51 pm    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
Judah wrote:

Some diverse philosophies on offense would be nice, too.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:52 pm    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
Car54 wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
Judah wrote:

I’m still waiting for a good offensive mind to be hired.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:55 pm    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:

PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:56 pm    Post subject:

tangentially, this gives me hope that we might actually sign some shooters
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:12 pm    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
Car54 wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
Judah wrote:

What options are out there?
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:59 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Who says Hollins is going to run the D? Maybe they just want him to be a veteran voice to connect with the players in an old-school no nonsense approach.

I agree about Hollins. I know that some posters here, and many fans, believe they are better at coaching than many actual coaches, but I don't think they realize all that goes into it - ego management, when and how to deliver tough messages or encouraging words, how to calm a group of testosterone-driven athletes and get them to focus. Things like that.

As for hiring an offensive "guru" - they may decide that it's not needed with a Lebron-based offense. It's not like these coaches don't understand offensive strategy enough for this team.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:24 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:

If true, that would deserve a huge facepalm. If that's the best thing a coach can bring to the table on a coaching staff, he's just a wasted seat. I don't know of any successful NBA team that follows that model. Which coach on SA plays that role? How about GS? Toronto? As far as I can tell, the elite teams employ coaches who are masterminds at X’s and O’s, not drill sergeants.

To my knowledge, only three other coaches sit with the head coach on the first bench. So even if the Lakers were somehow able to poach Adams from the Warriors, that would put them at three coaches already. So much for that offensive guru (which is an actual need).
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:33 pm    Post subject:

LuciusAllen wrote:
2019 wrote:

I agree about Hollins. I know that some posters here, and many fans, believe they are better at coaching than many actual coaches, but I don't think they realize all that goes into it - ego management, when and how to deliver tough messages or encouraging words, how to calm a group of testosterone-driven athletes and get them to focus. Things like that.

As for hiring an offensive "guru" - they may decide that it's not needed with a Lebron-based offense. It's not like these coaches don't understand offensive strategy enough for this team.

So you actually think having some ”bad cop” on the staff would be more valuable than a coach who specializes in a particular area, namely offense? Did you not watch GT’s videos last year on why the Lakers’ offense struggled offensively, and just how valuable a legit, offensive mind on the staff would've helped?
Rubin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:41 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
LuciusAllen wrote:
2019 wrote:

So you actually think having some ”bad cop” on the staff would be more valuable than a coach who specializes in a particular area, namely offense? Did you not watch GT’s videos last year on why the Lakers’ offense struggled offensively, and just how valuable a legit, offensive mind on the staff would've helped?

With Igor going to SAC, I’m hoping for Forcier or Finch. Forcier is from the Spurs tree, has a strong relationship with Kawhi (Pop credited him for a lot of Kawhi’s development) and has worked on Vogel’s staff before.

Finch is the lead offensive guy from NOLA, presumably has good history with AD.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:42 pm    Post subject:

The Hollins hiring was just Kurt doing his buddy a solid. Adams would be a fantastic hiring if we can poach him from GSW.
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:42 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
2019 wrote:

If true, that would deserve a huge facepalm. If that's the best thing a coach can bring to the table on a coaching staff, he's just a wasted seat. I don't know of any successful NBA team that follows that model. Which coach on SA plays that role? How about GS? Toronto? As far as I can tell, the elite teams employ coaches who are masterminds at X’s and O’s, not drill sergeants.

To my knowledge, only three other coaches sit with the head coach on the first bench. So even if the Lakers were somehow able to poach Adams from the Warriors, that would put them at three coaches already. So much for that offensive guru (which is an actual need).

Wasn't that Luke's job?

Hollins is obviously capable of and will do more, but the Lakers obviously wanted more veteran voices after the disaster that was Luke's staff and having a coach the players can relate to was a legit concern people had post-Luke.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:43 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
LuciusAllen wrote:
2019 wrote:

Agreed. Some people are still living in the 80s when it comes to how to run a team and lead people. That bad cop harsh style doesn't work in today's NBA or even in the workplace in other industrys.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:04 pm    Post subject:

Practice wrote:
Judah wrote:
2019 wrote:

Wasn't that Luke's job?

ollins is obviously capable of and will do more, but the Lakers obviously wanted more veteran voices after the disaster that was Luke's staff and having a coach the players can relate to was a legit concern people had post-Luke.

No idea what you're talking about in reference to Luke. But to the bolded, okay. Like what? Pay me a huge favor and lay it out. I wanna hear someone adequately explain Hollins’ value (especially in light of the theoretical hiring of Adams) without distracting from the point by bringing up Luke's old staff.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 64, 65, 66 ... 222, 223, 224  Next
Page 65 of 224
Jump to: