Frank Vogel Official Lakers Head Coach for 3-Years
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 168, 169, 170 ... 222, 223, 224  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are you happy about Vogel becoming our coach?
No
12%
 12%  [ 62 ]
Yes
54%
 54%  [ 271 ]
Neutral
32%
 32%  [ 163 ]
Total Votes : 496

Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:27 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
There's this almost now casual like talk that Frank is gone. Crazy. Just 14 months ago this guy's adjustments in the playoffs and defensive system won you a title and the #1 seed in the West.

Don't think he will be out of a job for long, after winning a title. He was a HC in Indiana, then Orlando, and now LA. In 2 of the 3 places he built defensive powerhouses and made them conference Finals/league champions. Guys with his resume will get a job, quick.

His K is up at the end of the year. And, frankly, if I were Vogel, I'd leave too. Why stay in Tinsletown? The second you stop winning, you get a (bleep) ton of blame from a bunch of sycophantic 'fans' who refuse to blame Queen Jeanie, Prince Rob, or King James. I'd bounce too, since I would think I am essentially the only reason we had a competent defense capable of winning games night-in night-out in year 1, when Rob gave him yet another roster of has beens and never weres. (Frank just made that one work.)
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:29 pm    Post subject:

To be clear WolfPack, I have a lot of respect for Frank and think he's a really excellent coach. I just think the FO has silo'd him a bit too much. If I were him, I'd prefer to work for a franchise that respects me as a person, and doesn't just view me as some figurehead to keep the seat warm while they plot how to fire me and replace me with whatever hot commodity pleases LeBron
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:37 pm    Post subject:

scout_0 wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
Both Monk and Bradley are small but it doesn’t mean they are the same level of player defensively. It was pretty obvious, teams were hunting Monk on defense whenever he was on the floor.

We have seen it previously, when Monk and Anthony were both on the floor, we got killed due to lack of defense. And we couldn’t out scored them on offensive. I’m not sure trying to maximise our offensive talent and abandon our defense is the right way going forward.

I think our identify should be making stops and make opponent teams pay on transition. So the number one priority is how to make defensive stops. Our perimeter defense has already improved with the current change of lineup. We beat the Celtics with the same lineup so this lineup works. But what’s the difference in this game? Well, LBJ and RW had 11 turnovers combined and most of them were careless turnovers. There was one play where Monk tried to throw an entry pass to AD in the low post, but the pass was so low that the ball just roll out of bound. AD got blocked by two different smaller players in the same quarter. These problems weren’t going to be fixed by a change of lineup.

You can't be successful in transition if you don't have legit 3pt shooters sprinting to the corners to open up the paint for the driver. The defense has one task: in transition cover the rim. There is no worries about a player taking an open 3 after the driver has taken the ball to the rim so it's not effective.

We beat the celtics without Jalen Brown who would of probably done the same thing Tatum did to our short guards (that can't score efficiently either)

LeBron and Westbrook had 11 turn overs, have you wondered why? have you look at our spacing? they are operating in tight spaces of course the defense can make us turn the ball over. Usually we have 3 players above the 3pt line all non shooters so defenders are hanging out by the free throw line. It's making AD look terrible and making LeBron settle for a bunch of long 3s.

Bradley leads the team in negative plus and minus, monk leads the team.

I am not saying abandon defense, but first is first, make sure we can score with the best of the teams. Defense now a days is more about playing on a string (coaching) than having great individual defenders.

We are #1 in transition... how has that helped? Not at all because we are terrible on efficiency, we score 1.1 points per pos on transition #16 in the league. We are also #7 in turning the ball over in transition.

It's so simple. No coach in the league would be starting those non shooters next to LeBron, Westbrook and AD.

I took vogel 20 games to realize Westbrook and Rondo was not a good pairing. He went from starting bazemore to not playing him at all and same with deandre. He doesn't know what he is doing

It's just a matter of time b4 he gets fired but the sooner the better. We need time to adjust to a different coach. I am cool either way, just stating what I see.

Based on my memory, there were at least two turnovers from LBJ that were due to outlet passes to AD which has nothing to do with spacing. Same applies to RW. Would more spacing helps our offense? Definitely. Would that help us win more games? I’m skeptical about it. Because the shooters on our lineup are bad defenders. They simply can’t stay in front of their players as we’ve witnessed times and times before. We were a top defensive team under Vogel prior to this year yet you think he is an incompetent defensive coach. It didn’t come through your mind that some players are just negative on team defense. You can sort of hide it with one of them on the floor but it would be difficult if you put two of them together, not mentioning we only have two good defenders on this team and they don’t give 100% effort all the time.

Bazemore was once a favourable choice on the starting lineup among us before the season started. I knew De’andre was unplayable even before the season started, you should ask why Pelinka signed him in the first place. I had no problem with Vogel gave chances to these two players. Bear in mind, we were short handed due to injury also.

I used to have the same thought as you do. But after I saw how terrible the defense was with our so called shooters lineup, I knew it wouldn’t work. Vogel decided to maximise our defense talent first and I’m willing to wait and see how it turns out
scout_0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:12 pm    Post subject:

lakersfan8 wrote:
scout_0 wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
Both Monk and Bradley are small but it doesn’t mean they are the same level of player defensively. It was pretty obvious, teams were hunting Monk on defense whenever he was on the floor.

We have seen it previously, when Monk and Anthony were both on the floor, we got killed due to lack of defense. And we couldn’t out scored them on offensive. I’m not sure trying to maximise our offensive talent and abandon our defense is the right way going forward.

I think our identify should be making stops and make opponent teams pay on transition. So the number one priority is how to make defensive stops. Our perimeter defense has already improved with the current change of lineup. We beat the Celtics with the same lineup so this lineup works. But what’s the difference in this game? Well, LBJ and RW had 11 turnovers combined and most of them were careless turnovers. There was one play where Monk tried to throw an entry pass to AD in the low post, but the pass was so low that the ball just roll out of bound. AD got blocked by two different smaller players in the same quarter. These problems weren’t going to be fixed by a change of lineup.

You can't be successful in transition if you don't have legit 3pt shooters sprinting to the corners to open up the paint for the driver. The defense has one task: in transition cover the rim. There is no worries about a player taking an open 3 after the driver has taken the ball to the rim so it's not effective.

We beat the celtics without Jalen Brown who would of probably done the same thing Tatum did to our short guards (that can't score efficiently either)

LeBron and Westbrook had 11 turn overs, have you wondered why? have you look at our spacing? they are operating in tight spaces of course the defense can make us turn the ball over. Usually we have 3 players above the 3pt line all non shooters so defenders are hanging out by the free throw line. It's making AD look terrible and making LeBron settle for a bunch of long 3s.

I am not saying abandon defense, but first is first, make sure we can score with the best of the teams. Defense now a days is more about playing on a string (coaching) than having great individual defenders.

We are #1 in transition... how has that helped? Not at all because we are terrible on efficiency, we score 1.1 points per pos on transition #16 in the league. We are also #7 in turning the ball over in transition.

It's so simple. No coach in the league would be starting those non shooters next to LeBron, Westbrook and AD.

I took vogel 20 games to realize Westbrook and Rondo was not a good pairing. He went from starting bazemore to not playing him at all and same with deandre. He doesn't know what he is doing

It's just a matter of time b4 he gets fired but the sooner the better. We need time to adjust to a different coach. I am cool either way, just stating what I see.

Based on my memory, there were at least two turnovers from LBJ that were due to outlet passes to AD which has nothing to do with spacing. Same applies to RW. Would more spacing helps our offense? Definitely. Would that help us win more games? I’m skeptical about it. Because the shooters on our lineup are bad defenders. They simply can’t stay in front of their players as we’ve witnessed times and times before. We were a top defensive team under Vogel prior to this year yet you think he is an incompetent defensive coach. It didn’t come through your mind that some players are just negative on team defense. You can sort of hide it with one of them on the floor but it would be difficult if you put two of them together, not mentioning we only have two good defenders on this team and they don’t give 100% effort all the time.

Bazemore was once a favourable choice on the starting lineup among us before the season started. I knew De’andre was unplayable even before the season started, you should ask why Pelinka signed him in the first place. I had no problem with Vogel gave chances to these two players. Bear in mind, we were short handed due to injury also.

I used to have the same thought as you do. But after I saw how terrible the defense was with our so called shooters lineup, I knew it wouldn’t work. Vogel decided to maximise our defense talent first and I’m willing to wait and see how it turns out

Which line up was that?
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:52 am    Post subject:

According to basketball reference, Lakers defensive rating is 12th in the league right now. Vogel is getting these older, slower, less defensively focused Lakers to play above average defense. At one point we were regularly in the 20 range. We've moved up. This dude is one of the best at getting his teams to get regular stops.

How many teams with an old Bron, Westbrook, Melo, Monk, Ellington as a 9 man rotation playing big minutes usually are known for being great defensively? I don't think many.

I said it at season's start, if he can get this team to be get into top 10 defense in the league, they will win a lot of games just based on that. In the end though, Vogel can't get them to get younger more motivated and go hard on each possession.

Reaves fit in well, but he's a rookie who needs time. Bradley fits in, but Bradley is old. Dwight fits in, but again, like Avery, he's old. The guys that actually thrive in this system are few and far between. I'm sure it's much easier to change the system/coach than the players, but since most of these players are on 1-2 year deals anyway, it's ridiculous to make a change based on that. Now if the change is based on AD/Bron not playing well under Vogel, that's a totally different thing. Far as I've seen, AD fits in well with Vogel's schemes as does Bron. It's the role guys. We need more consistent role guys. It's on Rob to get some.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:32 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
According to basketball reference, Lakers defensive rating is 12th in the league right now. Vogel is getting these older, slower, less defensively focused Lakers to play above average defense. At one point we were regularly in the 20 range. We've moved up. This dude is one of the best at getting his teams to get regular stops.

How many teams with an old Bron, Westbrook, Melo, Monk, Ellington as a 9 man rotation playing big minutes usually are known for being great defensively? I don't think many.

I said it at season's start, if he can get this team to be get into top 10 defense in the league, they will win a lot of games just based on that. In the end though, Vogel can't get them to get younger more motivated and go hard on each possession.

Reaves fit in well, but he's a rookie who needs time. Bradley fits in, but Bradley is old. Dwight fits in, but again, like Avery, he's old. The guys that actually thrive in this system are few and far between. I'm sure it's much easier to change the system/coach than the players, but since most of these players are on 1-2 year deals anyway, it's ridiculous to make a change based on that. Now if the change is based on AD/Bron not playing well under Vogel, that's a totally different thing. Far as I've seen, AD fits in well with Vogel's schemes as does Bron. It's the role guys. We need more consistent role guys. It's on Rob to get some.

Agree. And the lack of continuity hurts, too. We had guys that knew the system and knew their roles (KCP, Caruso, Green).
Now it's everything new. Plus injuries. Plus guys that aren't naturally good defenders.

If Vogel was a bad coach, we wouldn't see those little flashes of brilliant defense over those last games. The schemes are there. Or the great adjustments during the playoffs.

If we can get our offense up to (or close to) #15, while the defense is top 10, we're good.

Vogel's main concerns right now should be:
- improving our offense (it should naturally improve with LeBron having a good sequence, but we must work on it still)
- working the rotations so we can "hide" players like Melo or Monk defensively (you can't have a lineup with 3 or 4 bad defenders playing together)
- maintaining a high energy level (can't coast, can't blow large leads, etc.)
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:51 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

<snip>
I'm sure it's much easier to change the system/coach than the players, but since most of these players are on 1-2 year deals anyway, it's ridiculous to make a change based on that. Now if the change is based on AD/Bron not playing well under Vogel, that's a totally different thing. Far as I've seen, AD fits in well with Vogel's schemes as does Bron. It's the role guys. We need more consistent role guys. It's on Rob to get some.

Great point wolf
scout_0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:06 pm    Post subject:

Is the nets roster better than the Lakers defensively?

Up until this day Harden, Aldridge, Mills, Griffin etc have been known to be bad defenders.

How are they able to have a top defense?
cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:42 pm    Post subject:

scout_0 wrote:

Up until this day Harden, Aldridge, Mills, Griffin etc have been known to be bad defenders.

They don't have to work hard on offense maybe?
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:46 pm    Post subject:

scout_0 wrote:

Don’t forget their coach Nash was a perennial member of the All NBA Matador First Team.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Kobetan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:57 pm    Post subject:

scout_0 wrote:

They don't play casually?
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:07 pm    Post subject:

Kobetan wrote:
scout_0 wrote:

They don't play casually?

And they have young role players which play with effort and quickness.
scout_0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:00 pm    Post subject:

Westbrook
Bradley
THT
LeBron
Dwight

Love the spacing
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:10 pm    Post subject:

scout_0 wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
scout_0 wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:

Which line up was that?

AD at the 5 with Monk and Anthony on the floor.
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:13 pm    Post subject:

scout_0 wrote:
Westbrook
Bradley
THT
LeBron
Dwight

Love the spacing

And we held the Magic only scored 4 points in 7 mins. Good defense
scout_0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:22 pm    Post subject:

lakersfan8 wrote:
scout_0 wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
scout_0 wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:

Which line up was that?

Was LeBron at the 4?
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:31 pm    Post subject:

scout_0 wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
scout_0 wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
scout_0 wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:

Which line up was that?

Was LeBron at the 4?

Nop, but our perimeter defense was non-existent. They just kept cutting to the basket. I doubt one LBJ would make a huge difference.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:07 am    Post subject:

Players are running the schemes better. You can see it, especially at the top of the arc. They are doubling and chasing the player into where they know a teammate will be. Much much more defensive commitment and communication. We don't have the supporting cast talent to be the #1 defensive team, but we can be a good defensive team. I believe Vogel is doing a good job on the defensive end.

His weakness is that he needs point "gawds" like LBJ/Rondo (Playoff Rondo) to run offense at an elite level. The way we broke down the zone was excellent as the game went on. But we started off poorly again, against that zone.
scout_0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:08 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Players are running the schemes better. You can see it, especially at the top of the arc. They are doubling and chasing the player into where they know a teammate will be. Much much more defensive commitment and communication. We don't have the supporting cast talent to be the #1 defensive team, but we can be a good defensive team. I believe Vogel is doing a good job on the defensive end.

His weakness is that he needs point "gawds" like LBJ/Rondo (Playoff Rondo) to run offense at an elite level. The way we broke down the zone was excellent as the game went on. But we started off poorly again, against that zone.

It also helps that the Magic are 29th in both Offense and Defense.

You said it right though, his weakness is he needs LeBron to carry the offense. Problem is Bron can't play 48 minutes anymore and as soon as he steps off the floor leads are gone.

We need to replace the need for a point "gawd" with a real offensive system. I like Vogel's personality and leadership I just wish he would hire someone to help the offense and keep the ball moving.

I am happy we been getting some wins though, no matter how we are getting them.
Sina
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:49 am    Post subject:

Vogel is a good coach. He works on the weakest line first like team offense, Russ plays within the system, AD goes deep, shooters’ D etc. The offensive sets and ball movement are much better now. And we start working on the team D now. It’s expected he will work on Russ’ scoring and bring back the playoffs Rondo in the second half season. Hopefully we can integrate all pieces together. Vogel is a coach who likes to play different lineups against different team in the playoffs. So far we’ve practiced well with many different lineups. Hope it help in the playoffs
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:13 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

This.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:14 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Frank Vogel said that the key to unlocking this recent offensive tear from LeBron — six 30-point games over his last eight games — has been downsizing to smaller lineups w/ one or no bigs. Vogel said that the improved floor spacing has created easier driving lanes.

Seriously, Vogel? I hope this is just trolling
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:37 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Quote:
Frank Vogel said that the key to unlocking this recent offensive tear from LeBron — six 30-point games over his last eight games — has been downsizing to smaller lineups w/ one or no bigs. Vogel said that the improved floor spacing has created easier driving lanes.

Seriously, Vogel? I hope this is just trolling

because our perimeter players were on fire recently which allowed Lebron to do what he wanted. also lebron at 5 is kind of bad defensively (didn't show against the magic obviuosly)
Laker_Jocker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:29 pm    Post subject:

lakersfan8 wrote:
scout_0 wrote:
Westbrook
Bradley
THT
LeBron
Dwight

Love the spacing

And we held the Magic only scored 4 points in 7 mins. Good defense

Hmm... partially... the Magic held the Magic to only 4 points in 7 minutes as well....
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:01 pm    Post subject:

The team is currently 11th in defensive efficiency. Not bad with all the new players and injuries.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 168, 169, 170 ... 222, 223, 224  Next
Page 169 of 224
Jump to: