Frank Vogel Official Lakers Head Coach for 3-Years
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50 ... 70, 71, 72  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are you happy about Vogel becoming our coach?
No
13%
 13%  [ 46 ]
Yes
45%
 45%  [ 156 ]
Neutral
41%
 41%  [ 142 ]
Total Votes : 344

Author Message
LBJ23
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 Jun 2015
Posts: 5590

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 6:14 pm    Post subject:

People are so mad. If we would have gotten him after his time in Indiana people would have been ecstatic
_________________
Previously PG13
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 May 2005
Posts: 44936

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 6:19 pm    Post subject:

LBJ23 wrote:
People are so mad. If we would have gotten him after his time in Indiana people would have been ecstatic


That's what Orlando fans thought too.
_________________
14-5-3-12
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LBJ23
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 Jun 2015
Posts: 5590

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 6:26 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
LBJ23 wrote:
People are so mad. If we would have gotten him after his time in Indiana people would have been ecstatic


That's what Orlando fans thought too.


They had all young players and no free agents were going to go there. It's mostly you (bleep) about it tho
_________________
Previously PG13
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 10 Jan 2016
Posts: 3825

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 6:27 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
ocho wrote:
DLaker wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:
What I'm asking is why is it so bad that Jeanie (or Rambo, or Pelinka or all of them) chose Vogel's shorter sweeter deal, over overpaying Lue/Monty? Neither Lue or Monty are elite coaches. Looking at their track record, neither is considered elite.


If you're operating under the idea that Vogel and Lue are of the same caliber so why not just take the cheapest guy, there are a couple things to keep in mind:

1. You're simply wrong. In his first job, Lue went to the Finals every year, gained the respect of a star that is known for being difficult with coaches (who also happens to be on this team now) plus another difficult personality in Kyrie, and won a championship against a 73 win team by winning a game 7 on the road. By contrast, Frank Vogel was an unmitigated disaster in his last job. They got worse when he took over and significantly better when he left. They aren't the same.

2. The Lakers didn't see it that way either. They didn't even consider Vogel until their preferred choices fell through. They saw Vogel, imo, accurately: as a quality assistant. Only after they cheaped out and screwed up (and couldn't hire Kidd for other reasons) did Vogel become their guy and the reason is he was willing to jump through whatever hoops they presented and he was willing to take a cheapo deal.

3. Once Williams was off the board, the Lakers wanted Ty Lue as HC with Vogel and Kidd as assistants. I'd prefer to stay away from Kidd altogether because he's an atrocious coach, but it's a pretty good plan. According to reports, all that stood in their way was an extra year for Ty. They wanted 3, he wanted 5, and there was a compromise to be had at 4 and that's with Lue agreeing to their demands on assistants. We are talking about $5M of non salary cap spending. And it was a deal killer. Enjoy the extra cash, Jeanie!


Why bring up Vogels last coaching gig, when he has not one star on his team, but ignored the fact that Lou was 0-6 w/o LBJ leading to his firing.


Were...we not supposed to mention Vogel's last coaching gig? I understand he didn't have any stars, but Steve Clifford took essentially the same team and won 17 more games. I weigh that, and Lue's full seasons, more than a single 6 game stretch.


Yes this has been brought up many time already and the typical responds is, under Vogel he had to endure an injury-plagued season unlike what happened to Clifford where his team remained healthy all year. Which is also true


Oh so it turns out he did a great job? Cool. Sounds like they should have kept him.



_________________
-------LUCKY-------
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 May 2005
Posts: 44936

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 6:33 pm    Post subject:

LBJ23 wrote:
ocho wrote:
LBJ23 wrote:
People are so mad. If we would have gotten him after his time in Indiana people would have been ecstatic


That's what Orlando fans thought too.


They had all young players and no free agents were going to go there. It's mostly you (bleep) about it tho


We are comprised of mostly young players and might be adding another one with #4.
_________________
14-5-3-12
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LBJ23
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 Jun 2015
Posts: 5590

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 6:35 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
LBJ23 wrote:
ocho wrote:
LBJ23 wrote:
People are so mad. If we would have gotten him after his time in Indiana people would have been ecstatic


That's what Orlando fans thought too.


They had all young players and no free agents were going to go there. It's mostly you (bleep) about it tho


We are comprised of mostly young players and might be adding another one with #4.


And we have one of the all time greats and 30 plus million to spend
_________________
Previously PG13
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 May 2005
Posts: 44936

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 6:38 pm    Post subject:

LBJ23 wrote:
ocho wrote:
LBJ23 wrote:
ocho wrote:
LBJ23 wrote:
People are so mad. If we would have gotten him after his time in Indiana people would have been ecstatic


That's what Orlando fans thought too.


They had all young players and no free agents were going to go there. It's mostly you (bleep) about it tho


We are comprised of mostly young players and might be adding another one with #4.


And we have one of the all time greats and 30 plus million to spend


Yeah we'll see how that $30M goes. I think I've made my point and will now make my exit, allowing you guys to celebrate the coach I am sure you all wanted when the vacancy first opened.
_________________
14-5-3-12
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ReaListik
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 08 Jun 2008
Posts: 5892

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 6:38 pm    Post subject:

Change the title to add “prominent” in there, it’s important. Totally different meaning than just a regular assistant.
_________________
"We are the goodest." - Shaq ESPN interview
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
55
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 04 Jan 2008
Posts: 11876

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 6:43 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
LBJ23 wrote:
ocho wrote:
LBJ23 wrote:
ocho wrote:
LBJ23 wrote:
People are so mad. If we would have gotten him after his time in Indiana people would have been ecstatic


That's what Orlando fans thought too.


They had all young players and no free agents were going to go there. It's mostly you (bleep) about it tho


We are comprised of mostly young players and might be adding another one with #4.


And we have one of the all time greats and 30 plus million to spend


Yeah we'll see how that $30M goes. I think I've made my point and will now make my exit, allowing you guys to celebrate the coach I am sure you all wanted when the vacancy first opened.


Yeah, should've waited for Brett Brown.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 14 Apr 2001
Posts: 133440
Location: The Gold Coast

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 7:39 pm    Post subject:

Even Jeanie’s mouthpiece Ramona doesn’t get this hire.
_________________
How about those Blues!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LBJ23
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 Jun 2015
Posts: 5590

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 7:45 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Even Jeanie’s mouthpiece Ramona doesn’t get this hire.


Because she is an expert
_________________
Previously PG13
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
krisobe
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Posts: 3048

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 7:47 pm    Post subject:

VOGEL/KIDD with LBJ/KAWHI/AD would be INSANE.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Posts: 22533

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 7:55 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
Look if you flashback in time, Frank is a better choice than Luke, right?


We shall see. If you flashback in time, Luke (2016) was a better choice than Luke (2019).

I'm not down on Vogel. He's a solid coach, notwithstanding his failure in Orlando. I like to think that Vogel will be the next Rick Carlisle. Even though the Mavs have stunk for the last few years, Carlisle is still regarded as one of the best coaches in the league. Vogel was not an inspired choice, though. And the Kidd factor is a legitimate concern.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 24 Aug 2017
Posts: 4512

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 7:57 pm    Post subject:

Kidd is the main factor that has me down on the hire. I just dont believe Kidd is giving up the millions MIL still owed him just to be an assistant coach here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
OCWA
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 3583

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 8:38 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Even Jeanie’s mouthpiece Ramona doesn’t get this hire.


When Ramona tried to play the race card she lost all credibility. Michael Thompson mocked her for her stupidity.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
SD2Hollyweird
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 23 Jul 2018
Posts: 183
Location: 92115

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:15 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Even Jeanie’s mouthpiece Ramona doesn’t get this hire.


So, then, you're essentially saying Jeanie doesn't get this hire? That makes less sense than your usual.
_________________
I believe that a triangle, if it could speak, would say that God is eminently triangular, and a circle that the divine nature is eminently circular; and thus would every one ascribe his own attributes to God. - Baruch Spinoza
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 26 May 2015
Posts: 3404

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:18 pm    Post subject:

SD2Hollyweird wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Even Jeanie’s mouthpiece Ramona doesn’t get this hire.


So, then, you're essentially saying Jeanie doesn't get this hire? That makes less sense than your usual.




Don't murder him though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 30 Aug 2005
Posts: 31218

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:38 pm    Post subject:

LBJ23 wrote:
People are so mad. If we would have gotten him after his time in Indiana people would have been ecstatic


Small minority no?
Only 15% are unhappy.
_________________
👊 Los Angeles Lakers 👊

For us anything short of a championship is not success.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 16 Jul 2002
Posts: 2287

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 5:55 am    Post subject:

55 wrote:
ocho wrote:
LBJ23 wrote:
ocho wrote:
LBJ23 wrote:
ocho wrote:
LBJ23 wrote:
People are so mad. If we would have gotten him after his time in Indiana people would have been ecstatic


That's what Orlando fans thought too.


They had all young players and no free agents were going to go there. It's mostly you (bleep) about it tho


We are comprised of mostly young players and might be adding another one with #4.


And we have one of the all time greats and 30 plus million to spend


Yeah we'll see how that $30M goes. I think I've made my point and will now make my exit, allowing you guys to celebrate the coach I am sure you all wanted when the vacancy first opened.


Yeah, should've waited for Brett Brown.


Would've been waiting for a while.

"Brown will be returning to the team for the 2019-20 season, the Sixers confirmed Monday night. One day after the Sixers lost to the Toronto Raptors in Game 7 of the Eastern Conference semifinals, managing partner Josh Harris told ESPN that Brown would be back."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/sixers/2019/05/13/brett-brown-returning-head-coach-sixers/1195942001/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
55
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 04 Jan 2008
Posts: 11876

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 6:29 am    Post subject:

Staccatos wrote:
55 wrote:
ocho wrote:
LBJ23 wrote:
ocho wrote:
LBJ23 wrote:
ocho wrote:
LBJ23 wrote:
People are so mad. If we would have gotten him after his time in Indiana people would have been ecstatic


That's what Orlando fans thought too.


They had all young players and no free agents were going to go there. It's mostly you (bleep) about it tho


We are comprised of mostly young players and might be adding another one with #4.


And we have one of the all time greats and 30 plus million to spend


Yeah we'll see how that $30M goes. I think I've made my point and will now make my exit, allowing you guys to celebrate the coach I am sure you all wanted when the vacancy first opened.


Yeah, should've waited for Brett Brown.


Would've been waiting for a while.

"Brown will be returning to the team for the 2019-20 season, the Sixers confirmed Monday night. One day after the Sixers lost to the Toronto Raptors in Game 7 of the Eastern Conference semifinals, managing partner Josh Harris told ESPN that Brown would be back."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/sixers/2019/05/13/brett-brown-returning-head-coach-sixers/1195942001/


You must have missed the prior posts to get the joke.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 14 Apr 2001
Posts: 133440
Location: The Gold Coast

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 7:16 am    Post subject:

LBJ23 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Even Jeanie’s mouthpiece Ramona doesn’t get this hire.


Because she is an expert


I guess the definition of mouthpiece is something you can’t understand
_________________
How about those Blues!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 30 Aug 2005
Posts: 31218

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 7:32 am    Post subject:

SD2Hollyweird wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Even Jeanie’s mouthpiece Ramona doesn’t get this hire.


So, then, you're essentially saying Jeanie doesn't get this hire? That makes less sense than your usual.



_________________
👊 Los Angeles Lakers 👊

For us anything short of a championship is not success.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 08 Feb 2006
Posts: 11823

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 10:17 am    Post subject:

Frank Vogel spoke with LeBron James ahead of introductory press conference on Monday
LeBron James and Frank Vogel are talking! We’re off to a great start!

Quote:
...James and Vogel had their first conversation since Vogel’s hire on Tuesday. While it’s safe to assume James would have liked to reunite with his former Cleveland Cavaliers coach Tyronn Lue in Los Angeles, there’s no reason to believe James and Vogel can’t make it work.



The Lakers will hold an introductory press conference for Vogel on Monday, May 20, at the UCLA Health Training Center in El Segundo. The press conference will be streamed on Twitter and broadcasted on Spectrum SportsNet.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LandsbergerRules
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 29 Aug 2004
Posts: 9080
Location: The Other Perspective

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 10:22 am    Post subject:

VicXLakers wrote:
Frank Vogel spoke with LeBron James ahead of introductory press conference on Monday
LeBron James and Frank Vogel are talking! We’re off to a great start!

Quote:
...James and Vogel had their first conversation since Vogel’s hire on Tuesday. While it’s safe to assume James would have liked to reunite with his former Cleveland Cavaliers coach Tyronn Lue in Los Angeles, there’s no reason to believe James and Vogel can’t make it work.



The Lakers will hold an introductory press conference for Vogel on Monday, May 20, at the UCLA Health Training Center in El Segundo. The press conference will be streamed on Twitter and broadcasted on Spectrum SportsNet.


Damn, a Lue/Vogel combo would've been a solid upgrade over Luke and his staff.
_________________
"Chick lived and breathed Lakers basketball…but he was also fair and objective and called every game the way it was played."
-from Chick: His Unpublished Memoirs and the Memories of Those Who Knew Him
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 48228
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered intelligent.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 10:49 am    Post subject:

Did Luke get to choose his staff?
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Your prayers are always answered. Sometimes the answer is NO.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50 ... 70, 71, 72  Next
Page 49 of 72
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB