Frank Vogel Official Lakers Head Coach for 3-Years
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 59, 60, 61 ... 222, 223, 224  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are you happy about Vogel becoming our coach?
No
12%
 12%  [ 62 ]
Yes
54%
 54%  [ 271 ]
Neutral
32%
 32%  [ 163 ]
Total Votes : 496

epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 10:17 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

73-9 and they LIED šŸ
@CuffsTheLegend
Ā·
5h
Lakers need to bring Irv Roland on board! One of the best player development guys in the business!!

True?
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 11:10 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Quote:

73-9 and they LIED šŸ
@CuffsTheLegend
Ā·
5h
Lakers need to bring Irv Roland on board! One of the best player development guys in the business!!

True?

One of the casualties of Morey's house-cleaning. Apparently he's Harden's guy. He can't be happy about that.

Quote:
Roland will deflect praiseā€”crediting Hardenā€™s work ethic and natural ability, as well as head coach Mike Dā€™Antoniā€™s systemā€”but heā€™s played a part in all this. It was Roland who got the call from Harden in the summer of 2016, following a surprisingly turbulent Rocketsā€™ season. The team had stumbled to a 41-41 record despite high expectations, and James had shot merely 41 percent from the field and 31 percent from three in a first-round playoff loss to Golden State. He decided to skip the upcoming Olympics to focus on training and trusted Irv to get him right for the ensuing yearā€”which would ultimately result in a second-place finish in MVP voting. It was followed up by an actual MVP campaign in 2018; and now weā€™re here, with the All-Star guard averaging a ridiculous 36.5 points, 8.0 assists and 6.8 rebounds per contest.

https://www.slamonline.com/nba/irv-roland-x-james-harden/
OCWA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 11:18 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
I liked it better than Lukeā€™s, weā€™re gonna have fun, play music, and go bowling speech.

Luke's generic coach speak always came across as him being a poser. I like Vogel being more specific. Vogel is what Luke was pretending to be.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 11:36 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
epak wrote:
Quote:

73-9 and they LIED šŸ
@CuffsTheLegend
Ā·
5h

True?

One of the casualties of Morey's house-cleaning. Apparently he's Harden's guy. He can't be happy about that.

Quote:
Roland will deflect praiseā€”crediting Hardenā€™s work ethic and natural ability, as well as head coach Mike Dā€™Antoniā€™s systemā€”but heā€™s played a part in all this. It was Roland who got the call from Harden in the summer of 2016, following a surprisingly turbulent Rocketsā€™ season. The team had stumbled to a 41-41 record despite high expectations, and James had shot merely 41 percent from the field and 31 percent from three in a first-round playoff loss to Golden State. He decided to skip the upcoming Olympics to focus on training and trusted Irv to get him right for the ensuing yearā€”which would ultimately result in a second-place finish in MVP voting. It was followed up by an actual MVP campaign in 2018; and now weā€™re here, with the All-Star guard averaging a ridiculous 36.5 points, 8.0 assists and 6.8 rebounds per contest.

https://www.slamonline.com/nba/irv-roland-x-james-harden/

He meant is it true that the Lakers are bringing him on board, and there is no reports that irv is about to be apart of Lakers staff. Not saying it isn't real, just haven't been reported.
lakeshowtacular
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 1:28 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
We need steve black

Bring back Black!

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 10:08 am    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
Luminous8 wrote:
He didnā€™t sound too into Ingram tbh.

Of all the young guys he did say in regards to Ingram, "sky is the limit".. I took that to mean he sees a higher ceiling.

He said the same about Kuz, not just BI.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 10:10 am    Post subject:

Luminous8 wrote:

Interesting how we both listened to the same words and came up with completely different impressions. He was praising how good BI is at such a young age, and the vast potential that he still has... that's what I got from it.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 2:16 pm    Post subject:

55 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
Luminous8 wrote:

Of all the young guys he did say in regards to Ingram, "sky is the limit".. I took that to mean he sees a higher ceiling.

He said the same about Kuz, not just BI.

You're right.. I caught that after watching it again. I perceived more excitement for the others than Ingram. But it's just perception.
PDX_LAKERFAN
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 9:22 pm    Post subject:

After watching the Vogel interview, I think he'll be a good fit for the Lakers.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 6:48 am    Post subject:

Took me a long time to decide on Vogel but I'm cautiously optimistic.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 6:54 am    Post subject:

55 wrote:
Luminous8 wrote:

Interesting how we both listened to the same words and came up with completely different impressions. He was praising how good BI is at such a young age, and the vast potential that he still has... that's what I got from it.

I would never put too much weight into what a coach says at a press conference. Because, unless that coach is a Popovic, Phil Jackson, Pat Riley, the amount of weight their words hold are minimal when it comes to basketball transactions.

He has to know the Lakers are a bit damaged from the media front, so he has to come out there and talk up every young talent we have. This is part of how you change culture and make a better media presence.

I have no clue if Vogel will turn out succeed or fail as HC. I do think based o his handling of the media, he's going to do a much better job than any coach we've had in a long time to keep things in house, to keep things focused and to improve media coverage. Now the FO is another story, but I really liked Frank how he spoke and handled himself. I've been doing research on his work in Indiana and ORL, and it seems whenever he speaks, you gotta respect what he says. He's a far far cry from rambling D'Antoni, Mike video coordinator Brown, and Luke "I need to check the tapes" Walton. This guy has a way he speaks that I really respected and appreciated. Now lets see if he can coach.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 7:00 am    Post subject:

Kyle can "shoot pass and guard"

wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 7:04 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
Kyle can "shoot pass and guard"

That's the thing - you talk up every player if you're a head coach knowing your team is going to be very active on the trade front. You don't do what Magic does, which is go out and talk about free agents or stars, and undermine your stars.

Mitch was brilliant at this - he would never talk up other players or prospects and value his own assets. This is why he made brilliant trades.

Vogel strikes me as a passionate smart guy. I don't know about his schemes, his new ones that he says he is going to bring in. I like that he saw that stuff he did in Indiana is not enough for what he needs to do now. He needed to evolve on offense. He says he's going to do that. Lets see. This is my biggest concern with Frank. What he says about our players at a press conference, irrelevant. Only in 1 of all his season's as a HC were Frank's team good on offense. The rest were all good based on defensive brilliance.

So he needs new better schemes on offense, and until I see them being run, I'm going to be concerned. We need to improve our halfcourt execution, big time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 6:29 am    Post subject:

Well well guess who is being pursued as an assistant now?
Ty Lue.

Both the Pelicans and Rockets are trying to get him in as an assistant.

Of course the fact that he has got ZERO other offers lined up will not make anyone who has trashed the Lakers for hiring Vogel, feel better. The whole argument "Look no one else is hiring Vogel, other than for being an assistant" can't hold weight in argument for why Ty Lue was worth much more money than Vogel.

Well looks identical to what's going on with Ty Lue. He should have taken the 3 year deal if he wanted to be a Laker so bad and if he wanted to be a head coach. Looks to me he isn't getting any other head coaching offers, either. Ty Lue should have done what a lot of good coaches in the league do. They take short deals to get back in, prove themselves and then get a big extension. This has happened with so many coaches.

Vogel showed he had a passion for coaching and a true dedication to improving himself. I appreciate his words even more now seeing that Ty Lue isn't getting anything but assistant job offers. If a coach who has helped evolved the way basketball is played in the modern era has to take a 3 year deal to get back to work (D'Antoni) I don't see the big deal in Lakers offering 3 year deals here. There's a 3 year window with Lebron to try and win a title. If a coach wants 5 years, especially Ty Lue, he's absolute in the right to ask, but Lakers were not in the wrong to not look beyond Lebron's time line. Reason #1? Look at what happened in CLE. When they went into re-build mode following Lebron exit, Ty Lue was uncooperative with the FO on playing time. He was still showing loyalty to veteran players and hindering player development. Once he left, Sexton and the other young players got better and had a decent season. This is why I don't see the big wrong in Ty Lue or any of the Laker candidates only getting 3 year offers. The old regime offered Luke that big contract. This new regime should not have to pay for what an old regime had set as a bar.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 7:49 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Vogel showed he had a passion for coaching and a true dedication to improving himself.

lol he showed a passion for taking a short deal and letting Linda Rambis pick his staff.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 10:05 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Quote:
Vogel showed he had a passion for coaching and a true dedication to improving himself.

lol he showed a passion for taking a short deal and letting Linda Rambis pick his staff.

Ok lets assume you are right about Vogel. Time will tell. Ok, I will admit that you could be right about Vogel. He may be a bad coach and was desperate and took whatever the Lakers offered him. I will not argue for Vogel because he has not proven anything yet as Laker head coach. The whole Kidd being lead assistant, that could be trouble as well. I don't know confidently either way, so I will not argue on this.

How about you admit that Lue is in the same position, yet thought he was not. Lue has no head coaching jobs anywhere. To expect him to get 35M over 5 years is overpaying. Right now the market simply is not there for coaches who are not elite, to go out and get that kind of money. There was no reason for the Lakers to pay Lue to coach after Lebron is a) retired or b) moved on.

It was the absolute right call to not offer any these coaches more than 3 years. Was it the right call to pick Vogel? I can respect your take on this. I can't say with any confidence this will be a success. I am more hopeful, than confident. So I'll concede.
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 10:19 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Ty Lue.

Of course the fact that he has got ZERO other offers lined up will not make anyone who has trashed the Lakers for hiring Vogel, feel better. The whole argument "Look no one else is hiring Vogel, other than for being an assistant" can't hold weight in argument for why Ty Lue was worth much more money than Vogel.

Well looks identical to what's going on with Ty Lue. He should have taken the 3 year deal if he wanted to be a Laker so bad and if he wanted to be a head coach. Looks to me he isn't getting any other head coaching offers, either. Ty Lue should have done what a lot of good coaches in the league do. They take short deals to get back in, prove themselves and then get a big extension. This has happened with so many coaches.

Vogel showed he had a passion for coaching and a true dedication to improving himself. I appreciate his words even more now seeing that Ty Lue isn't getting anything but assistant job offers. If a coach who has helped evolved the way basketball is played in the modern era has to take a 3 year deal to get back to work (D'Antoni) I don't see the big deal in Lakers offering 3 year deals here. There's a 3 year window with Lebron to try and win a title. If a coach wants 5 years, especially Ty Lue, he's absolute in the right to ask, but Lakers were not in the wrong to not look beyond Lebron's time line. Reason #1? Look at what happened in CLE. When they went into re-build mode following Lebron exit, Ty Lue was uncooperative with the FO on playing time. He was still showing loyalty to veteran players and hindering player development. Once he left, Sexton and the other young players got better and had a decent season. This is why I don't see the big wrong in Ty Lue or any of the Laker candidates only getting 3 year offers. The old regime offered Luke that big contract. This new regime should not have to pay for what an old regime had set as a bar.

Well, well indeed... and agreed.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 10:20 am    Post subject:

LAL1947 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Ty Lue.

Well, well indeed... and agreed.

Indeed!
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 10:24 am    Post subject:

Iā€™m optimistic Vogel will join the list of great Laker coaches, everything about him sounds very exciting, Iā€™m really shocked no one was trying to hire him, but maybe because no one cares when another team makes a bad decision like the Lakers.
al242
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 11:02 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Iā€™m optimistic Vogel will join the list of great Laker coaches, everything about him sounds very exciting, Iā€™m really shocked no one was trying to hire him, but maybe because no one cares when another team makes a bad decision like the Lakers.

I can recall only 2 great Laker coaches, what list are you referring to?
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 12:19 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:

Ok lets assume you are right about Vogel. Time will tell. Ok, I will admit that you could be right about Vogel. He may be a bad coach and was desperate and took whatever the Lakers offered him. I will not argue for Vogel because he has not proven anything yet as Laker head coach. The whole Kidd being lead assistant, that could be trouble as well. I don't know confidently either way, so I will not argue on this.

How about you admit that Lue is in the same position, yet thought he was not. Lue has no head coaching jobs anywhere. To expect him to get 35M over 5 years is overpaying. Right now the market simply is not there for coaches who are not elite, to go out and get that kind of money. There was no reason for the Lakers to pay Lue to coach after Lebron is a) retired or b) moved on.

It was the absolute right call to not offer any these coaches more than 3 years. Was it the right call to pick Vogel? I can respect your take on this. I can't say with any confidence this will be a success. I am more hopeful, than confident. So I'll concede.

For the record, I think it's too far to say he's a bad coach. I think he's a bottom tier Western Conference coach, but I wouldn't say he's bad. My problem is much more with the piss poor way they handled the search, which despite the spin landed them their 3rd or 4th choice. I don't see Lue being in the same position at all. Houston and New Orleans don't have head coaching vacancies. If they did I bet Lue would be a top target. Lue is a championship coach. Good for those teams for trying to bring him on board. He'd be quite a get. if Houston or New Orleans had a HC vacancy, tried to hire someone better while bringing on Ty as an assistant, cheaped out on the deal and then settled on Lue when the better coach walked away THEN it would be the same.

Until coaching salaries start counting against the salary cap it is indefensible to let one extra year keep you from hiring a better coach. It's very touching how concerned you guys are with Jeanie's personal checkbook, but it's never smart or shrewd to cheap out and let her finances dictate who we hire. Couple that with insisting that any candidate hire Jason Kidd, who is a horrible coach and an even worse person, and you've got the recipe for a botched, embarrassing coaching search. Jeanie insists on empowering amateurs for our top positions and the coaching search reflected that.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 12:29 pm    Post subject:

Fortunately teams are banging down lues door.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 12:29 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Ty Lue.

He bluffed, thinking Lebron would push management around to get his terms. Didn't work and he has no job lined up.
Do we have an assistant position open for him?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 12:32 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
55 wrote:
Luminous8 wrote:

I would never put too much weight into what a coach says at a press conference. Because, unless that coach is a Popovic, Phil Jackson, Pat Riley, the amount of weight their words hold are minimal when it comes to basketball transactions.

He has to know the Lakers are a bit damaged from the media front, so he has to come out there and talk up every young talent we have. This is part of how you change culture and make a better media presence.

I have no clue if Vogel will turn out succeed or fail as HC. I do think based o his handling of the media, he's going to do a much better job than any coach we've had in a long time to keep things in house, to keep things focused and to improve media coverage. Now the FO is another story, but I really liked Frank how he spoke and handled himself. I've been doing research on his work in Indiana and ORL, and it seems whenever he speaks, you gotta respect what he says. He's a far far cry from rambling D'Antoni, Mike video coordinator Brown, and Luke "I need to check the tapes" Walton. This guy has a way he speaks that I really respected and appreciated. Now lets see if he can coach.

I honestly forgot his name till it came up in the search. Didn't even remember him coaching Orlando so he wasn't on my radar at all. Having said that, he did seem very composed in his interview. Let's see how it translates onto the court. Never liked Luke's GS approach of letting these guys blast music etc... we have a young group that hasn't earned that kind of freedom yet. I did like how Vogel expressed a desire/need to push the players. We haven't had that in a long time.
AJ
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 12:36 pm    Post subject:

I want to give this guy a fair shake. He did take Indiana to 2 conference finals and had some really strong defensive principals.

Judging him now is not worth it.

I did feel bad his presser was hijacked by Magic, essentially.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 59, 60, 61 ... 222, 223, 224  Next
Page 60 of 224
Jump to: