Frank Vogel Official Lakers Head Coach for 3-Years
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 62, 63, 64 ... 222, 223, 224  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are you happy about Vogel becoming our coach?
No
12%
 12%  [ 62 ]
Yes
54%
 54%  [ 271 ]
Neutral
32%
 32%  [ 163 ]
Total Votes : 496

deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:00 am    Post subject:

I really hope Vogel succeeds and Kidd finds another gig...
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:25 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
LuciusAllen wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
From an article about a run in Hollins had with Hollinger dating back to when the two were in Memphis (June 2013)

Quote:
By attacking Hollinger out of some misguided distaste for new thinking, Hollins proved that he's definitely not the right coach for the Grizzlies as they head into the future. What Hollins should really be concerned about is the fact that more and more teams are embracing analytics like the Grizzlies have.

If he keeps up his stubbornness in the face of mounting evidence that much of what he believes to be true about basketball is wrong, he might not be the right fit with any team.

John Hollinger isn't the enemy—he's just a guy who had a few more thoughtful (and ultimately useful) ideas about roster construction than Hollins did. By shooting the messenger, Hollins not only ensured he wouldn't be back with Memphis, but he may also have ensured that he won't ever work for any of the league's brightest franchises.

It's possible Rambis/Vogel hired Hollins not just because he coaches defense well, but because he provides a different perspective on the modern game. It's better to hire people whose strengths can cover your weaknesses. Vogel may recognize that he can get over-reliant on analytics, and needs somebody close who can temper him when needed.

I have no idea if that's true, but it is a reasonable justification of the hire.

I’d much rather have a staff that understands the modern game. That would be significantly more valuable IMO.

What makes you think they don’t understand the modern game?
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:06 am    Post subject:

Has Vogel hired any of his own staff yet?
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:18 am    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:

I don’t think he’s allowed to.

It’s important to remember that the person picking this staff (or at the very least, is a major voice in it) was an NBA head coach who carried a winning percentage of .195. Kurt knows best.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:23 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:

It’s important to remember that the person picking this staff (or at the very least, is a major voice in it) was an NBA head coach who carried a winning percentage of .195. Kurt knows best.

It’s disappointing because I actually like Vogel, I’m ok with him as head coach but so far it seems like he’s being dictated by the Rambii. Vogel might have said he’s cool with it just to take this opportunity but it’s still not a good look for the FO to be forcing things into the HC.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:25 am    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
ocho wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:

It’s disappointing because I actually like Vogel, I’m ok with him as head coach but so far it seems like he’s being dictated by the Rambii. Vogel might have said he’s cool with it just to take this opportunity but it’s still not a good look for the FO to be forcing things into the HC.

Frank stated it's a collective, where they bounce ideas off each other.
It would be interested to know if the Lakers shut down any people Frank wanted.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:31 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
ocho wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:

That’s a good way to approach any leadership role but I just fear too many hard headed cooks in the kitchen. Also, Hollins is way too outdated for today’s game he brings nothing but an old school Byron Scott style of coaching.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:33 am    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
epak wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
ocho wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:

That’s a good way to approach any leadership role but I just fear too many hard headed cooks in the kitchen. Also, Hollins is way too outdated for today’s game he brings nothing but an old school Byron Scott style of coaching.

I feel like Frank will be a players coach.
And JKidd is as well.
I think having a disciplinarian like Hollins might be good for the dynamic.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:36 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
epak wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
ocho wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:

And JKidd is as well.

That personality type doesn’t resonate with today’s players. Plus, that type of coaching is bs, get smart innovative guys in there “manning up” won’t lead to rings.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:46 am    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
epak wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
epak wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
ocho wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:

And JKidd is as well.

That personality type doesn’t resonate with today’s players. Plus, that type of coaching is bs, get smart innovative guys in there “manning up” won’t lead to rings.

1. Do you think he was the same way in Brooklyn as he was in Memphis?
2. Ron Adams was "that personality" no? Took some time, but he eased up a bit https://www.fresnobee.com/sports/nba/article203330774.html

It seems you guys know Hollins well. I dont really know him lol
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:51 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
epak wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
epak wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
ocho wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:

And JKidd is as well.

2. Ron Adams was "that personality" no? Took some time, but he eased up a bit https://www.fresnobee.com/sports/nba/article203330774.html

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/report-nets-sources-cant-name-a-single-player-who-liked-lionel-hollins/
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:52 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
epak wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
epak wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
ocho wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:

And JKidd is as well.

None of the posters here who are criticizing him know him either.

None of us know what his role will be, how he will approach being an assistant, or really anything at all. We're just going on some old stories about how he was tough-minded, extrapolating those to make it seem like he's just another Byron Scott, and going from there.

Like Vogel, Hollins coached a team without superstars to the conference finals within the past 6-7 years. That's about as far as you can go without a superstar or 2. Yes, the game has changed, but it's changed a lot since Hollins played in the NBA. And yet he adapted and became a good coach.
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:57 am    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/report-nets-sources-cant-name-a-single-player-who-liked-lionel-hollins/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rANG78eN95Y

Now, the video here doesn't paint Hollins as a rah-rah guy either, but the players all appear grateful to have played for him.

And he's an assistant now. Not the head coach.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:59 am    Post subject:

Quote:

None of us know what his role will be, how he will approach being an assistant, or really anything at all.

We know what Rob and Kurt and Linda know: how he coached when he was a coach. They may have a better idea than we do about how they anticipate his role to go, but even that is based on what he did as a coach. There’s no other reason to hire him if not for his past experience. It’s far more a reach to assume we have hired all these people to perform differently than they have before.

Maybe he’s going to be great for us, but again, nobody running the team has earned the benefit of the doubt. The guy most tied to these coaching decisions was perhaps the worst Head Coach of all time. We can lament being negative but when it comes to the people making decisions for us can’t we do better than this?
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:09 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Quote:

None of us know what his role will be, how he will approach being an assistant, or really anything at all.

We know what Rob and Kurt and Linda know: how he coached when he was a coach. They may have a better idea than we do about how they anticipate his role to go, but even that is based on what he did as a coach. There’s no other reason to hire him if not for his past experience. It’s far more a reach to assume we have hired all these people to perform differently than they have before.

Maybe he’s going to be great for us, but again, nobody running the team has earned the benefit of the doubt. The guy most tied to these coaching decisions was perhaps the worst Head Coach of all time. We can lament being negative but when it comes to the people making decisions for us can’t we do better than this?

You make fair points, and I agree that nobody in the Lakers FO should be given the benefit of the doubt.

But if they based the Hollins hire on his coaching past, that's actually a good thing. He wasn't the greatest coach, but he got a lot out of his players. He seems to take pride in helping his players grow from kids into men.

https://theundefeated.com/features/lionel-hollins-goes-in-depth-on-life-after-nba-memphis-grizzlies-and-brooklyn-nets/

Based on this article, I would have to assume that the Lakers intend to keep most of their young players, because Hollins sounds like a good mentor for them. If they trade them all away for AD, then the fit seems a lot more awkward.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:18 am    Post subject:

LuciusAllen wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:

You make fair points, and I agree that nobody in the Lakers FO should be given the benefit of the doubt.

But if they based the Hollins hire on his coaching past, that's actually a good thing. He wasn't the greatest coach, but he got a lot out of his players. He seems to take pride in helping his players grow from kids into men.

https://theundefeated.com/features/lionel-hollins-goes-in-depth-on-life-after-nba-memphis-grizzlies-and-brooklyn-nets/

Based on this article, I would have to assume that the Lakers intend to keep most of their young players, because Hollins sounds like a good mentor for them. If they trade them all away for AD, then the fit seems a lot more awkward.

Im sure he has something positive to offer. My hesitation is he is best known for coaching the last team to have success doing things the old fashioned way (and had absolutely killer defensive players to make it work). Couple that with him being another guy who got passed over for the HC job and it just feels unfair to saddle Vogel with two guys who want his job and who appear resistant to the modern game. I’d feel better about it if Kidd weren’t there. Between Vogel, Kidd, and Hollins I won’t be surprised if we really struggle offensively.
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:49 pm    Post subject:

Rockets fans think Hollins was a good hire for us, guess that says something?

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php?threads/rockets-losing-out-on-quality-assistants-because-of-mda-uncertainty.299301/
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:54 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:

You don't believe in 4th chances?
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:40 pm    Post subject:

Same people with no knowledge of these coaches spewing the same nonsense from thread to thread lol
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:13 pm    Post subject:

I choose to look at this as coaching by committee. Maybe they weren’t the greatest coaches individually, but maybe they will compliment each other really well. Maybe if they can all out their heads together they can figure out the best way to use our roster to win games.

I like to think that if we have a coaching staff full of experienced coaches, the front office will listen to them when signing free agents this offseason. Get them the players they want to implement the game plan they want to run.

I’m scared that Jeanie’s desire for all stars might trump any logic decision making though. Looking at the roster

Lonzo/2
Ingram/ hart
Lebron/ 3
Kuzma/ Wagner
1 / 4

We need to sign at least 4 players to add to our core this summer who compliment what we want to do.

If we go 1 max free agent we would have the MLE and #4 pick to fill in three of our open spots. The last would need to be a ring chaser willing to take the minimum. I think this is the most likely outcome.

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:43 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
I choose to look at this as coaching by committee. Maybe they weren’t the greatest coaches individually, but maybe they will compliment each other really well. Maybe if they can all out their heads together they can figure out the best way to use our roster to win games.

I like to think that if we have a coaching staff full of experienced coaches, the front office will listen to them when signing free agents this offseason. Get them the players they want to implement the game plan they want to run.

I’m scared that Jeanie’s desire for all stars might trump any logic decision making though. Looking at the roster

Lonzo/2
Ingram/ hart
Lebron/ 3
Kuzma/ Wagner
1 / 4

We need to sign at least 4 players to add to our core this summer who compliment what we want to do.

If we go 1 max free agent we would have the MLE and #4 pick to fill in three of our open spots. The last would need to be a ring chaser willing to take the minimum. I think this is the most likely outcome.

Butler- Max
Jordan- RE (hoping he wants to play with his bff JB and come back to LA for 1 year to contend)
Ariza- Minimum
Taj- Minimum
Tyson- Minimum
Matt Thomas- Minimum

Jordan | Taj | Chandler
LeBron | Kuzma | Wagner
Ingram | Ariza | Thomas
Butler | Hart
Lonzo | Garland | Bonga

That's by pipe adjacent lineup for next year. Lot's of wishful thinking but I don't impossible.

Want to see what Vogel could do with the defensively and see LeBron/Kuz/BI/Jimmy/Lonzo close out games
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:47 pm    Post subject:

I'd like to see us hire a very good big man skills development coach who could help transform low cost bigs into serviceable rotation players
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:17 pm    Post subject:

Alex Kennedy @AlexKennedyNBA
about 27 minutes ago
The Minnesota Timberwolves are reportedly hiring David Vanterpool, who was one of the coaches featured in my @HoopsHype article on the life of NBA assistant coaches: hoopshype.com/2019/01/05/rum…

Minnesota is hiring Brooklyn’s player development coach Pablo Prigioni as an assistant coach, league sources tell ESPN. Prigioni has common Rockets history with Minnesota President Gersson Rosas. He’ll focus on offensive end under coach Ryan Saunders.

Sounds like the Lakers. They ain’t the first and won’t be the last.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
about 27 minutes ago
The Minnesota Timberwolves are reportedly hiring David Vanterpool, who was one of the coaches featured in my @HoopsHype article on the life of NBA assistant coaches: hoopshype.com/2019/01/05/rum…

Minnesota is hiring Brooklyn’s player development coach Pablo Prigioni as an assistant coach, league sources tell ESPN. Prigioni has common Rockets history with Minnesota President Gersson Rosas. He’ll focus on offensive end under coach Ryan Saunders.

It's usually the norm right?
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:32 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Car54 wrote:
about 27 minutes ago

It's usually the norm right?

I would assume that someone like Phil or pop would pick their own but it’s not unheard of. But I get the part about Clueless people picking the staff I just happen to think the coaches are good coaches. Well at least Vogel and Hollins
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 62, 63, 64 ... 222, 223, 224  Next
Page 63 of 224
Jump to: