Looking at things optimistically

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 8:45 pm    Post subject: Looking at things optimistically

(1) Hiring Magic accomplished two things. First, it was a good ploy to depose Jim Buss. Second, Magic may have been helpful in recruiting LeBron. (Yes, LeBron clearly wanted to come here anyway, but are we sure he would have signed with Jim Buss??)

(2) Magic did some stupid things, like not resigning BroLo, and trading Zubac, but these were not fatal errors. And, fortunately, no one was signed on more than a one-year deal so we can recover now.

(3) We got lucky and got the fourth pick. Maybe if we had been better this year, we would have won more games and not gotten that pick. So the stupid things that Magic did were more or less made up for by our lucking into the fourth pick.

(4) Now Magic is gone and we are still in decent shape — with a top five player in the league, several young players with great potential, and a ton of cap space.

I think we are in good shape to pick up 1-2 stars through free agency or trade and make some serious noise in the playoffs next year, maybe even compete for the ring.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 8:49 pm    Post subject:

If we had a FO structure like the successful teams of the NBA, like the one the PELICANS are building, I'd feel great about where we stand despite the the road called stupid to get to this point.

Problem is that I just wonder how great a job Rob and Frank can do and then when they present whatever they present to Jeanie, if she Phil, Linda, and Kurt will know when to pull to trigger and when to back off.

But yes, in a vacuum, we're in a good place.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking at things optimistically

markjay wrote:
(1) Hiring Magic accomplished two things. First, it was a good ploy to depose Jim Buss. Second, Magic may have been helpful in recruiting LeBron. (Yes, LeBron clearly wanted to come here anyway, but are we sure he would have signed with Jim Buss??)

(2) Magic did some stupid things, like not resigning BroLo, and trading Zubac, but these were not fatal errors. And, fortunately, no one was signed on more than a one-year deal so we can recover now.

(3) We got lucky and got the fourth pick. Maybe if we had been better this year, we would have won more games and not gotten that pick. So the stupid things that Magic did were more or less made up for by our lucking into the fourth pick.

(4) Now Magic is gone and we are still in decent shape — with a top five player in the league, several young players with great potential, and a ton of cap space.

I think we are in good shape to pick up 1-2 stars through free agency or trade and make some serious noise in the playoffs next year, maybe even compete for the ring.

To me, it's pretty basic: We'll either pick up a star(s) or we won't; the young guys on the roster (assuming we'll keep them) will either turn the corner or they won't.

We can predict or root for those things to happen, but until they do actually happen (or don't happen) the rooting and predicting is just a way of passing the time.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 9:16 pm    Post subject:

^Pretty much. The only thing I will add, we have done everything in our power to screw things up when we had many things going for us. We shall see.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 9:24 pm    Post subject:

It’s very simple, if we land a game changer in FA, no one will remember the FO dispute, and once we start winning no one will care that Linda Buss and Kurt Rambis have power in the Organization..
quartzcharm
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 9:46 pm    Post subject:

How are we going to feel if we end up getting nobody (i.e. none of the top tier F.A.)?
€H£M£$TR¥
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 9:54 pm    Post subject:

quartzcharm wrote:
How are we going to feel if we end up getting nobody (i.e. none of the top tier F.A.)?

Depends on the kind of Lakers fan you are. Underdogs or Lost Causes. If it comes to it, you pick a side, and stand up for your perspective until your soul no longer compels you to post comments.
lakid
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking at things optimistically

markjay wrote:

The only optimistic thing that I see in all of this is that Magic aired so much dirty laundry that he's now put the spotlight on Jeannie Buss and how incredibly incompetent and stupid that she is. The media pressure and our inevitable failure will cause a weak person like Jeannie to fold and sell the team. Imagine the lakers with an ownership group and front office structure like that of the dodgers??
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 11:10 pm    Post subject:

€H£M£$TR¥ wrote:
quartzcharm wrote:

Depends on the kind of Lakers fan you are. Underdogs or Lost Causes. If it comes to it, you pick a side, and stand up for your perspective until your soul no longer compels you to post comments.

If we don't get a top free agent, we will have failed for the time being. People will rail that everything is hopeless. And then the season will end, and hopes will rise again. The cycle is eternal.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 11:12 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
€H£M£$TR¥ wrote:
quartzcharm wrote:

If we don't get a top free agent, we will have failed for the time being. People will rail that everything is hopeless. And then the season will end, and hopes will rise again. The cycle is eternal.

Well it'll be a failure of a 3-year plan, but the guy who started the plan quit on the team before it could come to fruition.

It'll depend on who they get instead. The guys we got last time around were a terrifying indicator of how Rob Pelinka might evaluate talent. I'm hoping that all those signings were at Magic's direction. Even if they strike out on big names, there are still guys out there to vindicate the FO. Hell maybe they bring back DLO, Randle and Brook (lol).

Last edited by pjiddy on Mon May 20, 2019 11:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking at things optimistically

lakid wrote:
markjay wrote:

The only optimistic thing that I see in all of this is that Magic aired so much dirty laundry that he's now put the spotlight on Jeannie Buss and how incredibly incompetent and stupid that she is. The media pressure and our inevitable failure will cause a weak person like Jeannie to fold and sell the team. Imagine the lakers with an ownership group and front office structure like that of the dodgers??
'

I think Jeanie loves running the Lakers, and she will do so into her 70s. She has no desire to become the non-entity she would be if her family sold the team.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 11:55 pm    Post subject:

Looking at things optimistically, I really hope the Lakers truly just like Kidd for his player development skills, and not for head coaching. I hope they stick to their domestic violence policy and never ever promote this guy, and truly are sincere in giving Vogel a chance. Bud looks bad in Atlanta, then became a stud in Milwaukee. I'm hoping for something like that because I like what I'm hearing from him and how he handled himself today, a "magical" day.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: Looking at things optimistically

lakid wrote:
markjay wrote:

Are you 10 years old?

Why would they sell the Lakers over Magics comments? Remember, it is NOT a her, it is a they. The whole Buss Family owns the Lakers, if Jeannie fails, the youngest in the family can start moving with authority. Personally, I put all this on Jeannie at this point. And I don't think any of it is as bad as everyone is making out. But it is not good, obviously. Still we are one player away from being respectable and all will be forgiven. If she keeps messing up, I sincerely hope Joey Buss is thinking about stepping up. He is going to be the owner of this franchise someday, is my bet. Although, as a family goes, I would seriously consider selling the team if they could command top dollar. They would each end out with at least 200 million after taxes. Maybe more.
ericp6387
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 5:18 am    Post subject:

Don't tell this to ESPN. It doesn't fit their cute little narrative. God I wish pain and destruction to that network.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 5:27 am    Post subject:

ericp6387 wrote:
Don't tell this to ESPN. It doesn't fit their cute little narrative. God I wish pain and destruction to that network.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:34 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
activeverb wrote:
€H£M£$TR¥ wrote:
quartzcharm wrote:

Well it'll be a failure of a 3-year plan, but the guy who started the plan quit on the team before it could come to fruition.

It'll depend on who they get instead. The guys we got last time around were a terrifying indicator of how Rob Pelinka might evaluate talent. I'm hoping that all those signings were at Magic's direction. Even if they strike out on big names, there are still guys out there to vindicate the FO. Hell maybe they bring back DLO, Randle and Brook (lol).

That's the big question. What happens if they strike out on the big ones? Do they sign lesser guys to big contracts or do another wait-and-see year and try to make a deal for Davis during the season? Lots of possible directions, especially now that Magic is gone.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Looking at things optimistically

Wino wrote:

Are you 10 years old?

Why would they sell the Lakers over Magics comments? Remember, it is NOT a her, it is a they. The whole Buss Family owns the Lakers, if Jeannie fails, the youngest in the family can start moving with authority. Personally, I put all this on Jeannie at this point. And I don't think any of it is as bad as everyone is making out. But it is not good, obviously. Still we are one player away from being respectable and all will be forgiven. If she keeps messing up, I sincerely hope Joey Buss is thinking about stepping up. He is going to be the owner of this franchise someday, is my bet. Although, as a family goes, I would seriously consider selling the team if they could command top dollar. They would each end out with at least 200 million after taxes. Maybe more.

The way the trust is set up makes it very difficult to sell the team.

Jeanie's position is probably more dependent on her relationship with family members than how the team does. The Lakers will continue to be profitable no matter what, so my guess is she won't be going anywhere no matter how the team does on the court.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:49 am    Post subject:

Ball BI LBJ Kuz (32m) (#4)

Yeah we pretty good fam... we got many haters and people just love drama
youcantguardme
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 3:01 pm    Post subject:

Positive? Yes.

Kawhi becomes a Laker
We get a steal at #4 (there is always a chance when the Knicks pick ahead of you)
Lonzo learns to shoot
BI turns into Lamar in his prime
other stuff

The Lakers sweep the Warriors in the conference finals.

Positive indeed.
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 3:03 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
It’s very simple, if we land a game changer in FA, no one will remember the FO dispute, and once we start winning no one will care that Linda Buss and Kurt Rambis have power in the Organization..

Winning cures all --
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 3:07 pm    Post subject:

This franchise has been extremely lucky the past 3-4 seasons. Getting #2 picks in the draft, getting #4 this year, being in the right locals to attract Lebron. And we have done nothing with it. We need to start taking advantage.
SGVL1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 4:42 pm    Post subject:

If we want to look at injuries or lack there of as lucky or unlucky then we are extremely unlucky.

Bynum right when he was breaking out was reduced to a role player in the 2010 playoffs

Nash second game of 2012-2013..

Kobe Achilles (we would’ve given the Spurs all they could handle in round 1 2013)

D Angelo gets hurt as we start 9-9 and had just blown the Warriors doors off Nov 2016

Lebron usually extremely durable goes down for longest stretch of career as we start 20-14 and blow the warriors doors off Xmas

All that being said, Lebron is on his way back and Lonzo completely controls the first 28 minutes of a road game in Houston, looks like a legit #2 pick, and goes down for the rest of the season.

A lot of this is poor medical staff but cmon. A lot of this is bad luck. I’m my eyes the basketball gods have owed us some freaking ping pong balls...
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 6:14 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
This franchise has been extremely lucky the past 3-4 seasons. Getting #2 picks in the draft, getting #4 this year, being in the right locals to attract Lebron. And we have done nothing with it. We need to start taking advantage.

completely agree....
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: