Who wins a 7 game series btw the best of the Kobe/Shaq/Horry Lakers vs. the peak of the Kobe/Pau/Odom Lakers?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who wins a 7 game series btw the best of the Shaq/Kobe/Horry Lakers vs. the best of the Kobe/Pau/Odom Lakers?
Shaq/Kobe/Horry Lakers
87%
 87%  [ 69 ]
Kobe/Pau/Odom Lakers
12%
 12%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 79

KobeIsTheOne
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 7:56 pm    Post subject: Who wins a 7 game series btw the best of the Kobe/Shaq/Horry Lakers vs. the peak of the Kobe/Pau/Odom Lakers?

This question came up recently among a group of friends, and it led to a great conversation about matchups, depth, age, who was in their prime, hunger, and a lot more.

My initial thought was the Shaq/Kobe team - they were the 3peat team, Shaq and Kobe were unstoppable, etc...

...but they were not deep. The more I actually thought about it, I'd have to say the Kobe/Pau/Odom....and Bynum Lakers. I think Pau and Bynum together would have done just enough and Prime Mamba would have had his way against Baby Fro-be.

The 3 peat Lakers were much older as well, outside of Kobe & Horry. Fish was young, but wasn't a starter then. We're talking about Ron Harper and Brian Shaw.

I think Prime Kobe is the difference. On the other side, it's basically Prime Shaq & a bunch of old dudes, a young phenom and Horry hitting big shots.

People forget about Ron Artest on those later squads...in addition to Pau, Odom, Bynum, and Prime Kobe. Pretty loaded.

If you think it's the Shaq/Kobe Lakers, say why you think they'd win. I haven't yet heard a convincing argument.

http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-130129/daily-dime

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/kobe-bryant-thinks-neo-matrix-could-ve-best-174850191--nba.html

Last edited by KobeIsTheOne on Sat May 18, 2019 9:15 pm; edited 4 times in total
TheKing23
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 7:58 pm    Post subject:

massacre...soft vs hard
Darth Los Angeles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 7:58 pm    Post subject:

Not mentioning Rick Fox instead of Horry is a crime.
KobeIsTheOne
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 8:01 pm    Post subject:

Darth Los Angeles wrote:
Not mentioning Rick Fox instead of Horry is a crime.

Fox was my favorite player on those squads outside of Kobe and Shaq.

But we can't all deny the magnitude of the shots that Big Shot Bob made time and again. Without him, we may not have won those 3 straight.

It's tough to pick a 3rd fiddle on that team, but I think it's between these two.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/kobe-bryant-thinks-neo-matrix-could-ve-best-174850191--nba.html
Darth Los Angeles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 8:03 pm    Post subject:

Bynum, Gasol, and Odom against Shaq... Tough for the Diesel to handle this.

The game had already started to change by the time 2008 arrived. Not as messed up as it is now, but teams were already taking bigs off the floor for more shooters. That's how we started playing Gasol at the 5.
Darth Los Angeles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 8:04 pm    Post subject:

I haven't voted... Still thinking...
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 8:07 pm    Post subject:

my opinion....not sure it goes more than 5 games. Kobe and Shaq...enough said. If those two are in shape, healthy and on the same page is their prime years....good luck to any team beating them.

Last edited by adkindo on Sat May 18, 2019 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 8:07 pm    Post subject:

No one could contain Shaq
KobeIsTheOne
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 8:09 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
my opinion....not sure it goes more than 6 games. Kobe and Shaq...enough said. If those two are in shape, healthy and on the same page is their prime years....good luck to any team beating them.

But they weren't BOTH in their primes.

Kobe was not yet. This is a young - albeit amazingly talented - Kobe at that stage.

2009-2010 Kobe was mentally better, and still wildly athletic, with a absolute mastery of the game at that stage. He would have dominated his younger self.

Darth Los Angeles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 8:09 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
my opinion....not sure it goes more than 6 games. Kobe and Shaq...enough said. If those two are in shape, healthy and on the same page is their prime years....good luck to any team beating them.

Kobe wasn't in his prime yet. I think he said he entered the beginning of his prime during the 01-02 season. But Shaq was already declining by then.

The best year would be 00-01
KobeIsTheOne
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 8:11 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
No one could contain Shaq

No one could. But doubling him with two capable bigs in Bynum and Pau would hassle him. That team wasn't a great 3 point shooting team, so doubling Shaq and not having to double Kobe (bc older Kobe would shut young Kobe down) could definitely work.

It would come down to Horry knocking everything down, and I don't think that would be enough.

KobeIsTheOne
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 8:12 pm    Post subject:

Darth Los Angeles wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Kobe wasn't in his prime yet. I think he said he entered the beginning of his prime during the 01-02 season. But Shaq was already declining by then.

Agreed.

Darth Los Angeles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 8:22 pm    Post subject:

KobeIsTheOne wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Agreed.

If we take the 00-01 Laker and matched them up against the 09-10 Lakers... I think 09-10 wins in six games.

Even in his prime... Shaq used to frustrate the mess out of me by not showing on the pick n roll/pop. Pau, Powell, Lamar, Bynum, and Mbenga are probably too much for Shaq.

Artest is probably too much for Rick Fox and this where the series is won.
KobeIsTheOne
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 8:31 pm    Post subject:

Darth Los Angeles wrote:
KobeIsTheOne wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Agreed.

If we take the 00-01 Laker and matched them up against the 09-10 Lakers... I think 09-10 wins in six games.

Even in his prime... Shaq used to frustrate the mess out of me by not showing on the pick n roll/pop. Pau, Powell, Lamar, Bynum, and Mbenga are probably too much for Shaq.

Artest is probably too much for Rick Fox and this where the series is won.

All valid points. Plus Prime vs. Young Kobe.

SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 8:36 pm    Post subject:

People really forget just how much of a problem Shaq was on the block.. Odds are the opposing big man will be in foul trouble, which limits his production on offense. There's also a good chance your second best big is also in foul trouble.
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 8:37 pm    Post subject:

How is this even a question. Lol
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 8:39 pm    Post subject:

The 1st Kobe was a way better defender than the 2nd. Locked AIndown one game because he felt like it.
ReaListik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 8:42 pm    Post subject:

No question Shaq Kobe Lakers.
KobeIsTheOne
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 8:44 pm    Post subject:

LBJ23 wrote:
The 1st Kobe was a way better defender than the 2nd.

This is false.

KobeIsTheOne
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 8:46 pm    Post subject:

ReaListik wrote:
No question Shaq Kobe Lakers.

Why is this not a question? We're talking about a team that went to 3 straight NBA Finals and won 2.

If not for some questionable officiating vs. Sacramento, that early team might not even go to a 3rd Finals.

CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 8:48 pm    Post subject:

KobeIsTheOne wrote:
LBJ23 wrote:
The 1st Kobe was a way better defender than the 2nd.

This is false.

So show me how it is instead of just acting like you know.
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 8:51 pm    Post subject:

03-04 was his last dominating defensive season and he was better on defense during his Shaq years than his Pau years according to numbers and what I saw.
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 8:53 pm    Post subject:

Shaq was the best player out of anyone in theose 1st 3 teams. He had a season they was better then any one of Kobe's seasons ever.
Beir32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 8:54 pm    Post subject:

The answer is Kobe/Shaq and it's not particularly close. The supporting cast was also better in every way. For all the "Kobe wasn't in his prime yet" people…you're right. However not-quite-prime Kobe was better than most 2's in the league and made every Western Conference Playoff participant his (bleep) in 2001. He was as important that run-if not more important-than Shaq.

With all due respect I can't wrap my head around NOT going with the 3-peat Lakers. Since I know I'm stubborn enough that I'm not changing my mind I'll let you folks debate. Have fun!
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 8:58 pm    Post subject:

The 2010 Lakers struggled against old man Shaq and the bigs struggled with foul trouble against him when he was on the Cavs.

Biggest value Artest brought was on defense but he isn’t stopping a 2001 version of Kobe. The 2010 Lakers struggled with OKC, Phoenix and Boston and they were old and worn down (it was even worse in 2011 which is a reason why the Mavs swept). And with Artest the offense wasn’t even good (defense was elite though). I like the 2009 teams chances better. But I still think the 2001 Lakers win.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: