Who wins a 7 game series btw the best of the Kobe/Shaq/Horry Lakers vs. the peak of the Kobe/Pau/Odom Lakers?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who wins a 7 game series btw the best of the Shaq/Kobe/Horry Lakers vs. the best of the Kobe/Pau/Odom Lakers?
Shaq/Kobe/Horry Lakers
87%
 87%  [ 69 ]
Kobe/Pau/Odom Lakers
12%
 12%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 79

deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 5:08 am    Post subject:

GonzagaAlum wrote:
At first I said easy... Kobe Shaq. But Bynum when healthy would have been able to provide enough. SF would have canceled each other out. Back. Back court is the same however give me Kobe and Fish later. Gasol would be the x factor.

Bynum over Shaq? LOL...that would be the day. Shaq would have him for lunch...
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 5:30 am    Post subject:

Bynum looked small next to Shaq.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 7:57 pm    Post subject:

My take:

the Shaq-Kobe team was just dominant. Prime Shaq was unstoppable, and Kobe was an athletic freak at that time who could do crazy things with the big man in or not too far from the paint.

Rick Fox was incredibly underrated. He could do a number of things that were great for all around play (rebound a bit, pass a bit, shoot a bit), even guard guys bigger than him (we used him on Duncan).

We of course also had some good vet power forwards circle in and out for a couple title runs, AC Green before he hung them up and Horace Grant.

Of course we also had Horrey and Ron Harper.

Bynum or Pau would get into too much foul trouble vs Shaq, limiting their effectiveness - Odom/Horrey cancel one another, as does Kobe v Kobe.

EDIT: Regarding Shaq: During his run with the Lakers I can say I have not ever seen someone just completely eviscerate teams as he did. You couldnt really guard him 1 v 1. He would have 2-3 guys hanging on him yet take them up with him as he dunked. In no small part he is ONE of the key reasons the illegal defense rule was changed (not the only)...teams wanted to be able to double him off the ball but couldnt until the rules changed because he was just killing people in the paint (remember game 5 vs Sacramento when we got them called for illegal defense like 3 straight times to open the game...then proceeded to blow them out by 20...league rules changed like 1-2 years later).

Teams really had to gameplan around him or he would just completely drum them. He was pretty darn automatic too - if the Lakers were struggling they'd just dump it inside a few times to Shaq and he'd keep them in the game.

When I hear folks talk about this team or that team and talk about the Shaq-Kobe lakers I just dont think theres enough appreciation for how ridiculously dominant the man was (ok, he wasnt exactly great vs the pnr except when he decided to give some effort there).

BTW, my favorite TBS commercial back in the day with those Laker teams that was played during the playoff run was a shot of Kobe, and Shaq, withe the commentator in the background saying "They are the perfect combination of power and grace." Damn...miss those dominance days
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 9:45 pm    Post subject:

How about a match up with:

Magic/Worthy/Kareem?
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 11:51 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
Beir32 wrote:
The answer is Kobe/Shaq and it's not particularly close. The supporting cast was also better in every way. For all the "Kobe wasn't in his prime yet" people…you're right. However not-quite-prime Kobe was better than most 2's in the league and made every Western Conference Playoff participant his (bleep) in 2001. He was as important that run-if not more important-than Shaq.

With all due respect I can't wrap my head around NOT going with the 3-peat Lakers. Since I know I'm stubborn enough that I'm not changing my mind I'll let you folks debate. Have fun!

I don't subscribe to Kobe not being in his prime yet. As a matter of fact, he has never repeated his masterpieces that he strung together in the series against the Kings and Spurs in 2001. After 2001, I could not fathom the Lakers ever losing again if that Kobe was what we were getting there on out. It was MJ basically in terms of points and efficiency. He was so dominant, that stretch has stuck out to me all these years. Not just the dominance and efficiency, but the quality of the opponents as well. I looked it up again, in that 8 game stretch, he averaged about 34 pts and a tick below 50% shooting. The two games that stood out most was game 4 against the Kings which he did 48 pts and 16 boards, then his game 1 encore against the Spurs with 45 and 10. BTW, 15-29 and 19-35 shooting respectively in those games.

I never worshiped Kobe as high as i did that year. Beginning with the elimination in 2003 to the Spurs, then the abysmal performance against Tayshaun in the 2004 finals where he shot like 38%, I lost some admiration for him. But the thing that took the most chunk of my admiration for him was missing the playoffs in 2005. Nobody saw that coming. Lamar, Caron, Brian Grant, back to back Rudy T champ as the coach. We were all excited for this new Kobe era post Shaq, but 2005 was a complete dud.

Then he came back with some amazing seasons and entered his "prime," but even in his prime, he didn't have those crazy games in the finals, or playoffs. No signature game stand out like the back to back 40's he put up against the Kings and Spurs in his youth. Except the Suns series, that was memorable but easily forgotten because we couldn't close it with a 3-1 lead. But that wasn't during Kobe/Pau. Maybe if Pau came a little earlier when Kobe was putting on a show in 2006 and 2007. Maybe that Kobe and Pau could give a better match to Shaq and Kobe.

My long-winded way of saying Kobe/Shaq Lakers would beat the Kobe/Pau Lakers.

Great insight, but also remember that Kobe torching the suns in 2010, and the Magic in 09 was some of the most complete and sublime basketball I've seen from anyone. I remember from about 04 to like 2010, he would come out with a new move just about every year, we got to see his vision for the game in the "vino" years, but yeah, frobe was that ultra skilled athletic freak that many thought would probably end up better than MJ.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 2:18 pm    Post subject:

i dont have a real answer, but i do think the consensus would choose the 3peat team. but i also think the pau lakers are consistently ignored and underrated. pau odom bynum is a pretty good big man core that would definitely be problematic for shaq. see portland series 1st ring, shaq was pretty much neutralized.
24Legend007
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 2:28 pm    Post subject:

2001 Lakers are still the best to me

16-1
Super Mega Team
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 3:03 pm    Post subject:

Doubles didn’t really affect Shaq back then. Bynum was not dependable and picks up cheap fouls. Pau would of been intimidated vs Shaq and would have a bad series. There was no answer for Shaq back then. The Shaq/Kobe teams played better defense. The stats may not show it but that Shaq/Kobe team’s eoleplayers really knew their jobs and played pretty good defense. Ron Harper, Dfish, Horry, Rick Fox, and Shaw were really savvy guys. I really think the teamwork was much better on the Shaq\Kobe teams.

Lastly, you had to double both Shaq and Kobe. You don’t have to necessarily double anyone other than Kobe on the Gasol/Odom team. Horry had length was used to dealing with the likes of Tim Duncan.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: