Magic on First Take spilling the beans
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
10scott10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 7:09 pm    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:
Most people were in favor of the Lou trade due to tanking. Let's not revise history.

Yes, but many of us thought they got played and that his return on that trade should have been much better
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:23 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
I will point this out....I was 100% behind keeping Lou because he was good. the fans (a LOT of people here) did NOT want him on the team. when we had Lou, a lot of fans were not impressed, called him a black hole, prevent others from developing, etc. he was not appreciated.

There were a wide range of opinions about Lou. Many wanted to keep him. Many were OK with trading him because we were rebuilding and they wanted his court time to go to young players. Some certainly thought he was overrated, but that was a minority opinion.
M2K
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:30 pm    Post subject:

The Lou trade was a harbinger of screw ups to come under Magic's leadership (or lack thereof).

Lou leaves and explodes.
DLO leaves and turns into an All Star.
Randle leaves and has a great year.
Lopez is allowed to walk and has a stellar year.
Zubac (a trade piece the way he was playing) is traded for a can of soup.

The Lakers have a second shot at turning this team into Championship contenders...and Magic leaving was a big addition by subtraction.

I would have zero faith that Magic would not screw up the golden opportunities that are waiting for us this offseason.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 9:53 pm    Post subject:

Magic made a bunch of dumb moves but the Lou one wasn't one of them. Lakers were trying to tank plain and simple. Everybody knew Lou was a baller.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 11:24 pm    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:
Magic made a bunch of dumb moves but the Lou one wasn't one of them. Lakers were trying to tank plain and simple. Everybody knew Lou was a baller.

There is no point trying to convince anyone around here that there is more than one side to the story of Magic. They hate him and have transferred all their negativity to him. They will soon switch it to someone else, Jeannie or Rob, and then it will be someone else. Showing them the illogical course of their thoughts will only get them to redirect them at you.

Completely useless, especially in light of the absolute stupidity of the Lakers FO.
LakersFanESS
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 11:48 pm    Post subject:

I just have to say how disappointed I am in Magic Johnson for actively trying to sabotage our free agency so Rob Pelinka will fail. He even has Byron Scott doing his dirty work...it is the same thing he was doing to Jim Buss years ago. Magic was my favorite player growing up but I just want him to go away for a while and let the Lakers succeed.

As much as I love Magic he is the one that is the snake. Everything that has gone wrong has been because of his decisions. Trading D'Angelo because of the snitching thing, not bringing back Brook Lopez because you were afraid that he wanted too many minutes and you wanted to go with more small lineups. Trading Zubac and justifying it by belittling him, The lack of shooters because Magic wanted playmakers. The ridiculous A. Davis negotiations, the quilting before the last game and the spectacle of it all, the first take bs. I think the whole organization was one one side and Magic was on the other. Now everyone is one the same side so I am happy moving forward, Magic, please go away for now...

And if the team is ever for sale, I don't want Magic anywhere near the ownership group. Magic would try to run things again and screw it all up again.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 12:35 am    Post subject:

LakersFanESS wrote:
I just have to say how disappointed I am in Magic Johnson for actively trying to sabotage our free agency so Rob Pelinka will fail. He even has Byron Scott doing his dirty work...it is the same thing he was doing to Jim Buss years ago. Magic was my favorite player growing up but I just want him to go away for a while and let the Lakers succeed.

As much as I love Magic he is the one that is the snake. Everything that has gone wrong has been because of his decisions. Trading D'Angelo because of the snitching thing, not bringing back Brook Lopez because you were afraid that he wanted too many minutes and you wanted to go with more small lineups. Trading Zubac and justifying it by belittling him, The lack of shooters because Magic wanted playmakers. The ridiculous A. Davis negotiations, the quilting before the last game and the spectacle of it all, the first take bs. I think the whole organization was one one side and Magic was on the other. Now everyone is one the same side so I am happy moving forward, Magic, please go away for now...

And if the team is ever for sale, I don't want Magic anywhere near the ownership group. Magic would try to run things again and screw it all up again.

Yeah I could handle everything until he started quilting before the last game!!! Next thing he will be sewing girls cloths!!!

Haters gonna hate!!
LAII
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 12:51 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
The FO has been dysfunctional since Dr. Buss passed away.

Was dysfunctional when he was Alive

No one seems to remember the annual Laker's "Town Halls" with Mitch and Jim to assuage panicky season ticket holders during the lean years after Shaq's departure.

Pepperidge Farms Remembers.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 1:39 am    Post subject:

LAII wrote:
defense wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
The FO has been dysfunctional since Dr. Buss passed away.

Was dysfunctional when he was Alive

No one seems to remember the annual Laker's "Town Halls" with Mitch and Jim to assuage panicky season ticket holders during the lean years after Shaq's departure.

Pepperidge Farms Remembers.

Yes the way Dr Buss set it up, there was always some dysfunction between Jeanie, Jim and the Buss siblings. However TWO major ASSETS were in the FO.

1) Dr Buss. His vision was always the final call. Not Jeanie's or Jim's. Or even Mitch.
2) Mitch. One of the best traders in the league history IMO. Not good at free agency.

Right now we have dysfunction, but no asset. That's the problem. Rambis, Pelinka, Jeanie are all new at their respective roles of power. Not any of them have proven themselves in that role. Jury is out on Pelinka. We'll see in a year how good or bad a GM he really is.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 3:38 am    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
LakersFanESS wrote:

Yeah I could handle everything until he started quilting before the last game!!! Next thing he will be sewing girls cloths!!!

Haters gonna hate!!

So do the quilting accusations make LakersFanESS a racist or a sexist?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 6:35 am    Post subject:

YSong wrote:
Sssmush wrote:
just the Lou Williams trade alone is such a colossal screw up. I mean even if we get Kyrie we won't be getting Lou Williams level production and value out of him. It's gross, he would've been fantastic running with Lebron.

Then you throw in the vindictive trade of D'Angelo Russell, for nothing.... letting fan favorite and legit shooter Lopez walk for nothing, letting Randle walk, trading Zubac for a washed up scrub.... to say nothing of drafting Lonzo ahead of Tatum like a complete forrest gump idiot...

why do we even care what Magic thinks? Now he trashed himself on First Take boom I actually tip my hat to Stephen A, thank you that was very satisfying on a personal level to watch Magic show his *** on national TV like that and prove me right about this argument forever and for all time. I argued this for a long ****ing time on the Internet and wow it is weird but I know I won that ****ing argument.

Magic as president of basketball for the Lakers was A JOKE

Hindsight much?

Not for some of us
composite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 12:08 pm    Post subject:

LakersFanESS wrote:
I just have to say how disappointed I am in Magic Johnson for actively trying to sabotage our free agency so Rob Pelinka will fail. He even has Byron Scott doing his dirty work...it is the same thing he was doing to Jim Buss years ago.

Not just Jim Buss. Mike Brown, M D'Antoni when each was HC. Kobe, Nash, Dwight. Pretty much everyone.
Rubin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 12:28 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
YSong wrote:
Sssmush wrote:
just the Lou Williams trade alone is such a colossal screw up. I mean even if we get Kyrie we won't be getting Lou Williams level production and value out of him. It's gross, he would've been fantastic running with Lebron.

Then you throw in the vindictive trade of D'Angelo Russell, for nothing.... letting fan favorite and legit shooter Lopez walk for nothing, letting Randle walk, trading Zubac for a washed up scrub.... to say nothing of drafting Lonzo ahead of Tatum like a complete forrest gump idiot...

why do we even care what Magic thinks? Now he trashed himself on First Take boom I actually tip my hat to Stephen A, thank you that was very satisfying on a personal level to watch Magic show his *** on national TV like that and prove me right about this argument forever and for all time. I argued this for a long ****ing time on the Internet and wow it is weird but I know I won that ****ing argument.

Hindsight much?

Not for some of us

The Lakers were tanking that year. It was pretty unanimously understood that getting a FRP for Lou was the play to make. No one criticized it on those merits at the time. What Magic rightly caught some heat for was taking Brewer back in the deal.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 12:43 pm    Post subject:

Rubin wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
YSong wrote:
Sssmush wrote:

Hindsight much?

Not for some of us

The Lakers were tanking that year. It was pretty unanimously understood that getting a FRP for Lou was the play to make. No one criticized it on those merits at the time. What Magic rightly caught some heat for was taking Brewer back in the deal.

Getting a first while keeping our own first (Zo) was actually a great trade for us. I think its fair to say Lou would have gotten us an extra win or two which would have cost us our own pick.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 1:35 pm    Post subject:

Bottom line is Jeannie Buss is in WAY OVER HER HEAD. Magic had to deal with it and couldn't. Everyone on this team has made mistakes, Magic included. I think Magic had a vision, whether any of you agreed with it or not. It brought us Lebron and potentially another superstar. Cutting him off at the knees, right during the race to free agency is a massive mistake by Jeannie. She is going to look back at this and know, it was the beginning of her end. She is not going to recover from this. Guaranteed. I wish I was wrong, but I don't believe I am. The team is going to pay for this. You can blame it on Magic and yeah, he has some blame to share. But ultimately, Jeannie was in charge and no matter what happened she should NOT have let it get to this point. I hear rumors that she felt blind sided by the whole thing. BLIND SIDED??? If she WAS blind sided then she is either stupid or lying. I don't think she is a liar.

So, the bottom line is she lacks basketball decision making ability and it really got a good manager of people, yet she is the bottom line with this team under it's current structure. Plus, she has someone with zero experience making real decisions for an NBA franchise.

I don't see this coming out with a positive outcome.

The truth is, the Lakers have made the wrong decisions and nearly every single fork in the road.

All this, while the Clippers have been making the right decision at every fork in the road. In fact, they are dictating their own path. The ONLY forks in the road they deal with, are ones they put there on purpose.

I want the Buss family to sell the team. They have totally screwed it up and it will take them years to recover. They are now considered one of the worse ownership's in all of sports. They did this in 6 years. WOW!!
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 1:49 pm    Post subject:

We are all spoiled. We went from arguably the best ownership in sports to a shadow of what it was. I know its vogue to kick everyone while we are down. The funny thing is the ultimate plan has not yet been derailed. We all knew this was our big offseason, so lets see it unfold before taking fits. I still believe we are all going to be very happy in a little over a month.
Stumpy25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 1:54 pm    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
Bottom line is Jeannie Buss is in WAY OVER HER HEAD. Magic had to deal with it and couldn't. Everyone on this team has made mistakes, Magic included. I think Magic had a vision, whether any of you agreed with it or not. It brought us Lebron and potentially another superstar. Cutting him off at the knees, right during the race to free agency is a massive mistake by Jeannie. She is going to look back at this and know, it was the beginning of her end. She is not going to recover from this. Guaranteed. I wish I was wrong, but I don't believe I am. The team is going to pay for this. You can blame it on Magic and yeah, he has some blame to share. But ultimately, Jeannie was in charge and no matter what happened she should NOT have let it get to this point. I hear rumors that she felt blind sided by the whole thing. BLIND SIDED??? If she WAS blind sided then she is either stupid or lying. I don't think she is a liar.

So, the bottom line is she lacks basketball decision making ability and it really got a good manager of people, yet she is the bottom line with this team under it's current structure. Plus, she has someone with zero experience making real decisions for an NBA franchise.

The truth is, the Lakers have made the wrong decisions and nearly every single fork in the road.

All this, while the Clippers have been making the right decision at every fork in the road. In fact, they are dictating their own path. The ONLY forks in the road they deal with, are ones they put there on purpose.

I want the Buss family to sell the team. They have totally screwed it up and it will take them years to recover. They are now considered one of the worse ownership's in all of sports. They did this in 6 years. WOW!!

Magic didn't know what the hell he was doing and didn't have the time to put in the work. He should have never taken the position because he was just not ready for it, and probably not made for it either. Great talker, great charismatic individual but that's where it ends. In that position you needed someone with tactfulness and quiet demeanor.
As for the Clippers they will always be the Clippers. The team that never really gets the gold, because they will always be competing against the most popular team in the world with 16 rings.
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 1:56 pm    Post subject:

Wino wrote:

You're reaching so hard, you don't even realize it.

If I was directing a play about the Lakers and was only using LG members as the cast, you'd be my SAS or Byron Scott.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 2:40 pm    Post subject:

LAL1947 wrote:
Wino wrote:

If I was directing a play about the Lakers and was only using LG members as the cast, you'd be my SAS or Byron Scott.

I disagree with all of you. There are a number of leaders of many organizations that are brought in simply to make the final calls. They don't work full time but have decades of experience. Others do the ground work and the old guys with the most experience make the calls.

I, for once, agree with SAS and Byron. You are all wrong and you will help our team pay the price of it. If you can't see the truth, then you are destined to keep making mistakes.
Kobesystem
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 2:41 pm    Post subject:

Can't believe he said DLO was not a leader and that the Shaggy P incident was the main factor to the trade.....

Magic literally did a tell all on first take that sabotage the whole franchise now and moving forward..... This guy....
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 2:47 pm    Post subject:

Stumpy25 wrote:
Wino wrote:

Magic didn't know what the hell he was doing and didn't have the time to put in the work. He should have never taken the position because he was just not ready for it, and probably not made for it either. Great talker, great charismatic individual but that's where it ends. In that position you needed someone with tactfulness and quiet demeanor.
As for the Clippers they will always be the Clippers. The team that never really gets the gold, because they will always be competing against the most popular team in the world with 16 rings.

If you haven't noticed, there has been a paradigm shift in the relationship of Clippers vs Lakers. The VERY LEAST that is going to come out of this is that the Clippers are now a viable destination for players who want to have a solid FO around them. In contrast, the Lakers are a small, penny pinching, interfering, family run business without much knowledge of the sport. It's huge man. It has NEVER happened in all the days of the Lakers, even Jack Kent Cooke was unable to screw it up this badly.

Blame it on the guy who dropped the bag and left, but the people left behind are the real problem and the sooner you realize it, the sooner they realize it, the better off the team will be.
lak_repeat
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 2:56 pm    Post subject:

KobeDunk wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
KobeDunk wrote:
governator wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
Any dirt other than "Rob is a snake"?

Magic hinting Jeannie should sell

Kobe Lebron and Magic should buy the Lakers after Lebron retires.

After they come up with 5+ billion and hypnotize AEG into waiving their right of first refusal?

haha i guess

OK AEG, but lets face it Magic might just be pissing on the Lakers to try to lower value so he can put together group to buy Lakers. Whether he can or not, that may be his thinking. He needs to shut up and go away for 5 years.
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 2:57 pm    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
LAL1947 wrote:
Wino wrote:

I disagree with all of you. There are a number of leaders of many organizations that are brought in simply to make the final calls. They don't work full time but have decades of experience. Others do the ground work and the old guys with the most experience make the calls.

I, for once, agree with SAS and Byron. You are all wrong and you will help our team pay the price of it. If you can't see the truth, then you are destined to keep making mistakes.

Called it! Whoop whoop!

If I was actually making this hypothetical play about the Lakers' current situation, I'm leaning more towards casting you as SAS than Byron... not sure which would be a better fit.

Do you have a personal preference between either?
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 3:04 pm    Post subject:

Sometimes assuming a great player will be a great manager does not come true.
This was the case of Magic.
His ego is too big to be a good manager.
He was a bad coach.
And he was a lousy VP of Operations. But he did not do great harm like JIm.
But he did keep the Lakers from incrementally improving.

Sometimes those managers get impatient and want to do everything at once.
And even sell the farm to get a possible good year.

It would be nice to get a manager who looks at the big picture.
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 3:07 pm    Post subject:

lak_repeat wrote:

OK AEG, but lets face it Magic might just be pissing on the Lakers to try to lower value so he can put together group to buy Lakers. Whether he can or not, that may be his thinking. He needs to shut up and go away for 5 years.

I don't think it's about lowering value... can't imagine any of the Busses are dumb enough to sell at a "lower value" without hiring their own investment folks to provide a larger valuation of the team than whatever value the buying party's investment folks place on it. If (and that's only if) Magic is doing stuff to try and buy the Lakers, it's more likely to get Jeanie thinking she can't manage it responsibly and is doing a disservice to what Jerry Buss intended with his will... and/or to get the siblings thinking that they're better off selling, by making them lose faith in Jeanie's ability (and their own ability) to manage it. If Jim + Johnny + Jeanie + Janie all agreed to sell, there's nothing that Jesse or Joey would be able to do to stop it.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63  Next
Page 59 of 63
Jump to: