Magic on First Take spilling the beans
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 60, 61, 62, 63  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 5:25 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
Beir32 wrote:
Magic Johnson was my basketball hero as a player. As a front office employee he was objectively horrible at his job. It doesn't really have to be about more than that.

So you give no consideration to the character bashing he has done on Pelinka, Dlo, and essentially the whole Lakler organization and in the manner (First Take) he aired out his grievances?

That narrative is fair game imo since it was Magic himself who opened this can of worms.

All of that is terrible, yes, but the Lakers need to move on, and try somehow to rebuild the organization into the world-class operation. They need to understand why their fans are so upset, and then block out that noise and get to work.

I guess we obsessed fans should continue to feed on the rumors and idly speculate because we don't have the power to help them in any other way. And we don't know yet if they've gotten the message. So ... carry on.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 5:40 pm    Post subject:

LuciusAllen wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
Beir32 wrote:
Magic Johnson was my basketball hero as a player. As a front office employee he was objectively horrible at his job. It doesn't really have to be about more than that.

So you give no consideration to the character bashing he has done on Pelinka, Dlo, and essentially the whole Lakler organization and in the manner (First Take) he aired out his grievances?

That narrative is fair game imo since it was Magic himself who opened this can of worms.

All of that is terrible, yes, but the Lakers need to move on, and try somehow to rebuild the organization into the world-class operation. They need to understand why their fans are so upset, and then block out that noise and get to work.

I guess we obsessed fans should continue to feed on the rumors and idly speculate because we don't have the power to help them in any other way. And we don't know yet if they've gotten the message. So ... carry on.

I believe the Lakers have moved on. I am referring to the conversation by Laker fans in LG.

I also believe we all should move on but if some still want to discuss the topic so be it. Still have idle days before the draft and FA so basically fans can only speculate until facts or more believable rumors come forth.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 5:46 pm    Post subject:

Beir32 wrote:
I'm not sure how you read into my post that he shouldn't be crushed for everything he's done. He has been and he should be. I said he was horrible at his job.

Well your statement

As a front office employee he was objectively horrible at his job. It doesn't really have to be about more than that.

seemed to imply that the discussion should basically be about how he was horrible at his job as an employee. That you were implying there shouldn't be discussion about Magic's character or motives.

If that was not your intent I apologize.

Edit: reading through the postings again I believe you were possibly referring to the racism topic and other issues. If true I do apologize.
Beir32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 5:54 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
Beir32 wrote:
I'm not sure how you read into my post that he shouldn't be crushed for everything he's done. He has been and he should be. I said he was horrible at his job.

Well your statement

As a front office employee he was objectively horrible at his job. It doesn't really have to be about more than that.

seemed to imply that the discussion should basically be about how he was horrible at his job as an employee. That you were implying there shouldn't be discussion about Magic's character or motives.

If that was not your intent I apologize.

No need to apologize. I shoulda been more specific. I was referring to someone who wants to make any criticism against Magic about more than him being bad at his job. Specifically his age or his race.

I was just trying to say that criticizing the dude for being a bad executive and subsequently making an ass of himself is a normal reaction. We don't need to attach an "ism" to any post doing so. That's what I meant by "it doesn't really have to be about more than that".
J
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 8:06 pm    Post subject:

Masai Ujiri is what a real POBO looks like.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 9:56 pm    Post subject:

J wrote:

He's definitely not "lazy?". I wonder how many hours he puts in a week
LakerDynasty6.0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 12:05 am    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
Seriously accusing people of racism because they dont like the job magic did? Lol. Am I a racist because I hate Ben Carson? Or Trump? Duterte? May? Bolsanaro? Do I have all the bases covered yet?

Nope, you forgot Vlad Putin, MBS (Saudi), and Kim Jong,... and coming up soon, Boris Johnson!
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 12:22 am    Post subject:

LAL1947 wrote:
Wino wrote:

BS, I have no insecurities about it, just calling it the way I see it. I'm projecting my feelings, NOT IDEAS?, on YOU, but none of you are projecting your feelings on me?? You got your head where the sun don't shine. While YOU may not be saying that Magic wasn't lazy, plenty of people have and ARE saying exactly that. And it's funny how people can say that, deny it, and then say it isn't because they have pre-conceived notions about the people involved. Great for you!!

And then you go and make it political, while, I assume , bashing conservatives. What a joke.

I'm kinda done with you, not worth my time or my being polite either. Wish there was a way to block/mute posters like yourself so I wouldn't have to read your tripe.

PS: Not only are you wrong about everything else... you were also wrong in assuming I was bashing conservatives. How many times are you going to strike out before you ask yourself whether it is you who has his head up where the sun doesn't shine?

I feel the same way about you, so leave me alone.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 6:27 am    Post subject:

J wrote:

Thank goodness we made zero attempt to acquire him.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 7:11 am    Post subject:

I preface this by saying I am and will ALWAYS be a HUGE Magic fan. That being said, I think we all knew a few things: his ego is huge, he was not going to be at the helm a long time, and he was not going to spend a ton of hours conducting business via his position (the guy has a ton of ventures going on). Magic was one of the three most powerful men in all of basketball (and he was able to sign the most powerful man and one of the best players in the game). He made some good moves and some head scratchers as well (although I do understand why he made some of them). I will say it was a douchebag move that he quit now instead of at least waiting till after free agency was over. That was very WEAK! If he had waited, and we signed that big fish (which we very well may do), then he could always say his plan worked to perfection (and I would agree with that assessment). We all knew the final stage of the plan was this offseason (after he was left on the altar by PG). He left on a bad note and that is on him. He will never be able to shake that, and I am sure down the road, he will regret his decision.
Day
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 7:22 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
J wrote:

Why? They lose in finals and Kawhi leaves, is he still a "real POBO" ?
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 7:33 am    Post subject:

Day wrote:
ocho wrote:
J wrote:

Yes.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 7:47 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Day wrote:
ocho wrote:
J wrote:

Yes.

His deal with the Spurs was scoffed at but it's worked out fine. If they beat the Dubs in the chase for the Larry O'Brien what will you think of him then?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 7:51 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
ocho wrote:
Day wrote:
ocho wrote:
J wrote:

Yes.

His deal with the Spurs was scoffed at but it's worked out fine. If they beat the Dubs in the chase for the Larry O'Brien what will you think of him then?

Ujiri has been building contenders in the East for years despite being in a market nobody wants to play in. He's elite at what he does but he's not close friends with Jeanie so I'm sure they didn't even consider pursuing him. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Toronto won the chip.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 7:54 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ocho wrote:
Day wrote:
ocho wrote:
J wrote:

Yes.

Ujiri has been building contenders in the East for years despite being in a market nobody wants to play in. He's elite at what he does but he's not close friends with Jeanie so I'm sure they didn't even consider pursuing him. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Toronto won the chip.

What if He fooled everyone and stayed in Toronto?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 7:55 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ocho wrote:
Day wrote:
ocho wrote:
J wrote:

Yes.

Is it because he's not close friends with Jeannie the reason you're glad we made zero attempt to acquire him?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 7:55 am    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
That being said, I think we all knew a few things: his ego is huge, he was not going to be at the helm a long time, and he was not going to spend a ton of hours conducting business via his position (the guy has a ton of ventures going on). Magic was one of the three most powerful men in all of basketball (and he was able to sign the most powerful man and one of the best players in the game).

1. We did not all know those things about Magic. I have very clear memories of what people expected from Magic, because I was one of the people who was skeptical. I've been hearing a lot of revisionist history over the past couple months. I remember what many, if not most, people expected. Dr. Buss wanted Magic to run the Lakers, yada yada yada.

2. Magic is not, and has never been, one of the three most powerful men in basketball. He's probably not in the top 20, maybe not the top 50. Perhaps he thought he was powerful, but if so he got a rude lesson. He got slapped down pretty hard. Hell, if you believe his whiny story, he wasn't even one of the three most powerful people in the Lakers front office.

3. Magic is a self promoter. His product is himself. He and his allies will tell you all about what a brilliant businessman he is, but you never hear much in the way of details about the brilliant things he does. This is because his strength is his name, not his business acumen. Magic and Isiah Thomas are basically the same thing, except that Isiah was a lot more arrogant. Isiah tried to actually operate businesses, instead of just investing and selling his name. Magic was a lot smarter, but then he let his ego take control when Jeanie Buss asked him to help purge her brother. Suddenly, he had to produce results under media scrutiny. We know how that turned out.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 7:59 am    Post subject:

I think there were whispers of bron coming here and thats when magic lobbied for job knowing it would be on his watch. It timed out. Along the way he never showed up and make questionable FO moves and bounced.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 8:01 am    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
ocho wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ocho wrote:
Day wrote:
ocho wrote:
J wrote:

Yes.

Who knows with that guy? I think he would be foolish to leave.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 8:02 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
ocho wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ocho wrote:
Day wrote:
ocho wrote:
J wrote:

Yes.

Is it because he's not close friends with Jeannie the reason you're glad we made zero attempt to acquire him?

It was sarcasm. I am very upset they didn't make an effort to get Ujiri.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 8:09 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
ocho wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ocho wrote:
Day wrote:
ocho wrote:
J wrote:

Yes.

Why would Kawhi be foolish to leave? the max $ difference 4 yrs v 5 yrs? the rosters strength difference his current vs him with LeBron in Lakers? FO stability?
I think the $ is close enough, I think him in a Lakers rosters with LeBron is better than his current roster. City of LA vs City of Toronto, subjective but Kawhi prob like SoCal better. Not so foolish I think and not so far fetched
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 8:14 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
ocho wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
ocho wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ocho wrote:
Day wrote:
ocho wrote:
J wrote:

Yes.

Why would Kawhi be foolish to leave? the max $ difference 4 yrs v 5 yrs? the rosters strength difference his current vs him with LeBron in Lakers? FO stability?
I think the $ is close enough, I think him in a Lakers rosters with LeBron is better than his current roster. City of LA vs City of Toronto, subjective but Kawhi prob like SoCal better. Not so foolish I think and not so far fetched

He's in the NBA Finals now. He'd have to take a pay cut to come to a lottery team, a shaky coach, and a FO filled with rookies and dunces. If he wants to hand over his prime to that I would be thrilled, but I'd consider him foolish. If he wants LA that badly I'd trust the Clipper FO and Doc with my prime more than what the Lakers have thrown together.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 8:28 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
governator wrote:
ocho wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
ocho wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ocho wrote:
Day wrote:
ocho wrote:
J wrote:

Yes.

He's in the NBA Finals now. He'd have to take a pay cut to come to a lottery team, a shaky coach, and a FO filled with rookies and dunces. If he wants to hand over his prime to that I would be thrilled, but I'd consider him foolish. If he wants LA that badly I'd trust the Clipper FO and Doc with my prime more than what the Lakers have thrown together.

How much paycut are we talking about?
You think Lowry-Siakam-Ibaka-Van Fleet-Gasol is better than LeBron-BI-Ball-Kuz-Hart?
I don't know much about Vogel and Nurse has been great so I'll leave it at that
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 8:48 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
ocho wrote:
governator wrote:
ocho wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
ocho wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ocho wrote:
Day wrote:
ocho wrote:
J wrote:

Yes.

How much paycut are we talking about?
You think Lowry-Siakam-Ibaka-Van Fleet-Gasol is better than LeBron-BI-Ball-Kuz-Hart?
I don't know much about Vogel and Nurse has been great so I'll leave it at that

A pay cut of about $50M. For a guy with injury issues that could be very meaningful. In regards to talent, LeBron is 35 and the rest of the roster is a bit of a question mark. If Kawhi were to sign with the Lakers he wouldnt know who he would be playing with when the season started other than LeBron. Couple that with a rookie FO trying to learn on the job, who was part of the team that put together last year's disastrous coterie of signings. He could cross his fingers and hope they learned their lesson, but as you can see there's an awful lot of risky variables here.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 9:29 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

A pay cut of about $50M. For a guy with injury issues that could be very meaningful. In regards to talent, LeBron is 35 and the rest of the roster is a bit of a question mark. If Kawhi were to sign with the Lakers he wouldnt know who he would be playing with when the season started other than LeBron. Couple that with a rookie FO trying to learn on the job, who was part of the team that put together last year's disastrous coterie of signings. He could cross his fingers and hope they learned their lesson, but as you can see there's an awful lot of risky variables here.

There are a lot of ways it could go. Wherever he goes, Leonard could sign a shorter deal, and opt out in 2021. By then, he'd 10 years of service time and be eligible for a five-year max starting at 35 percent of the salary cap.

All depends on how much risk he wants to take and where he wants to live/play.

I won't try to read his mind and guess what he'll do.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 60, 61, 62, 63  Next
Page 61 of 63
Jump to: