Why are people upset with Rob?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Day
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:14 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Day wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
So according to the OP Pelinka did nothing here. And wonders why people aren’t impressed.

From all accounts he opposed most of it and was overruled by Magic. Magic was his boss, Magic had final say. And the question wasn't why aren't people impressed, the question was why are people upset with him and calling for him to be fired.

Nice try, though.

Who’s accounts?

Magic taking full credit for them, if Rob was advocating the same moves Magic would have put some blame on him especially running the narrative that Magic himself didn't have full authority. Instead he defended all of his decisions doubling down on all of them except for letting BroLo go.

Maybe not all accounts, I went back to read some of the older stories and it seemed it was just Luke and his coaching staff wanting Randle and Lopez resigned, I included Rob wanting it as well. Either way, though, Magic had final say and I think it's pretty safe to assume that if Rob was on the same page then Magic wouldn't be taking full responsibility for those decisions.

Maybe I'm wrong though, Magic doesn't seem to view them as mistakes so
Day
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:15 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
KobeDunk wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:
Ever since he left there has been no drama or soap opera stories coming out of the Lakers organization.

Huh? Since Magic left they skipped out on exit interviews, refused to clarify or define the FO structure until a couple days ago, failed to control the message on several fronts, and engaged in a completely botched coaching search. They've barely had anything to do since the end of the season and handled none of it well.

botched how? That's the media's portrayal of what happened. I believe Vogel is a better choice than Lue would have been.

You're entitled to your opinion. The Lakers disagreed. I know it's in fashion to dismiss unflattering news as "fake" but if you think that process went smoothly I can't help you.

Well they wanted the trio of Lue, Vogel, and Kidd - all for different reasons. It's not botched that they got 2/3 of the people they wanted.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:16 am    Post subject:

Day wrote:
ocho wrote:
Day wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
So according to the OP Pelinka did nothing here. And wonders why people aren’t impressed.

From all accounts he opposed most of it and was overruled by Magic. Magic was his boss, Magic had final say. And the question wasn't why aren't people impressed, the question was why are people upset with him and calling for him to be fired.

Nice try, though.

Care to link?

I remember reading that Walton, staff that included Pelinka wanted to resign Randle and Lopez but Magic was the one with the vision of the playmaker's to surround LeBron.

The FA signings were all Magic, the Zubac trade was all Magic, and trading DLo was all Magic. Rob probably had some say in the AD and Lou trade but the rest Magic has all taken full credit for and even defended his decisions showing they weren't Robs.

So it's not "all accounts" that said Rob opposed most of it and was overruled. It sounds like it's more like "no accounts." How does Magic defending the decisions absolve Rob?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:18 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Day wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Nice try, though.

Who’s accounts?

Do you really think after Magic spent an hour on First Take trashing Rob... that he wouldn't have blamed him for the bad personnel decisions if he could?

Magic was trashing Zubac... how much more circumstantial evidence do you need? An internal video feed of Magic telling Rob to give up BI/Lonzo/Kuzma/Hart/Zubac/Picks for AD?

So according to the accounts posted by LG posters. I had never heard that being said so I wondered where it came from. Evidently not from anyone involved with the organization. I just thought that I might have missed something.
Day
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:18 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Day wrote:
ocho wrote:
Day wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Nice try, though.

Care to link?

I remember reading that Walton, staff that included Pelinka wanted to resign Randle and Lopez but Magic was the one with the vision of the playmaker's to surround LeBron.

The FA signings were all Magic, the Zubac trade was all Magic, and trading DLo was all Magic. Rob probably had some say in the AD and Lou trade but the rest Magic has all taken full credit for and even defended his decisions showing they weren't Robs.

So it's not "all accounts" that said Rob opposed most of it and was overruled. It sounds like it's more like "no accounts." How does Magic defending the decisions absolve Rob?

Because he's throwing everyone under the bus, claiming he didn't have full authority, calling Rob a backstabbing snake but failing to actually pass some of the blame on the horrible mistakes he made? Magic took full responsibility, they were his moves. He wanted the "playmakers", HE got rid of DLo because of his drama with a player who's not even in the league anymore, HE got rid of Zubacs because he was "only doing well because of LeBron and Lonzo", HE made the godfather deal to NO for AD. Not a "we" not a "Rob and I", it was all "ME".
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:19 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Day wrote:
ocho wrote:
Day wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Nice try, though.

Care to link?

Why would you take the time to make a historic interview bashing Rob... yet not blame him for some of the moves that were universally declared stupid in hindsight? Do you think Magic wasn't smart enough to think of that? Or maybe, just maybe... he couldn't blame Rob because Rob didn't make those choices. He even doubled down on justifying the Zubac trade.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:21 am    Post subject:

Day wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Day wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Nice try, though.

Who’s accounts?

Magic taking full credit for them, if Rob was advocating the same moves Magic would have put some blame on him especially running the narrative that Magic himself didn't have full authority. Instead he defended all of his decisions doubling down on all of them except for letting BroLo go.

Maybe not all accounts, I went back to read some of the older stories and it seemed it was just Luke and his coaching staff wanting Randle and Lopez resigned, I included Rob wanting it as well. Either way, though, Magic had final say and I think it's pretty safe to assume that if Rob was on the same page then Magic wouldn't be taking full responsibility for those decisions.

Maybe I'm wrong though, Magic doesn't seem to view them as mistakes so

I think you hit it with your last comment, Magic probably thought he would be giving Pelinka credit. The only knock on Pelinka that I have is putting someone in a high position with no experience. But it is Jeanie Buss we are talking about, she did think that Magic was a good idea.
Day
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:22 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
ocho wrote:
Day wrote:
ocho wrote:
Day wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Nice try, though.

Care to link?

Why would you take the time to make a historic interview bashing Rob... yet not blame him for some of the moves that were universally declared stupid in hindsight? Do you think Magic wasn't smart enough to think of that? Or maybe, just maybe... he couldn't blame Rob because Rob didn't make those choices. He even doubled down on justifying the Zubac trade.

And defending getting rid of DLo because of the drama with Nick Young, who hasn't been in the NBA since then. Oh and also if you follow DLo on instagram most of the Lakers players still like his posts and interact with him still sooooooo yeah. BUT IT MUST HAVE BEEN ROB
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:24 am    Post subject:

Day wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
ocho wrote:
Day wrote:
ocho wrote:
Day wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Nice try, though.

Care to link?

And defending getting rid of DLo because of the drama with Nick Young, who hasn't been in the NBA since then. Oh and also if you follow DLo on instagram most of the Lakers players still like his posts and interact with him still sooooooo yeah. BUT IT MUST HAVE BEEN ROB

Not only revising history by blaming the Swaggy P drama instead of his original personnel assessment but then acting like it was a clever move just to acquire Kuzma... So much BS...
PHILosopher
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:39 am    Post subject:

Not mad at Rob. In fact, I'm impressed

I have a feeling Rob could predict how the Magic interview would go,
he worked with him for two years, so he planned accordingly for his
press conference.

Instead of getting into the fray, he wanted to come across as the
adult in the room. It worked! In doing so, I think he consolidated his
power.

It would look really bad now for FA and PR, if Jeanie got rid of Rob.
That's all to say, I think Rob knows what he's doing. Rob's a snake, has that
mamba mentality we all love.😁
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:46 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
ocho wrote:
Day wrote:
ocho wrote:
Day wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Nice try, though.

Care to link?

Magic doesn't think they were dumb moves. His only regret is Brook Lopez. He didn't blame anyone else because he's an idiot who thinks he did a great job.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:48 am    Post subject:

Day wrote:
ocho wrote:
Day wrote:
ocho wrote:
Day wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Nice try, though.

Care to link?

Because he's throwing everyone under the bus, claiming he didn't have full authority, calling Rob a backstabbing snake but failing to actually pass some of the blame on the horrible mistakes he made? Magic took full responsibility, they were his moves. He wanted the "playmakers", HE got rid of DLo because of his drama with a player who's not even in the league anymore, HE got rid of Zubacs because he was "only doing well because of LeBron and Lonzo", HE made the godfather deal to NO for AD. Not a "we" not a "Rob and I", it was all "ME".

The proof you have that Rob was against any of it is zero. But I have some tape of him reading the Bible after signing KCP if you'd like to see it.
Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:50 am    Post subject:

A couple of things here.

Magic was a basketball savant on the court. He lived in the moment, saw the possibilities and made the split second decision on the court. He had incredible court vision.

That type of uncanny basketball sense doesn't necessarily translate into step by step processes, analysis and tedious "work".

Magic has always lived in the moment. He is instinctual. He speaks his mind on the spot. He would tweet his praise of young basketball players in the moment (examples: Michael Carter-Williams, Brandon Knight, Jimmer Fredette etc) usually coming after a single great performance. With time ultimately, these would look bad, but in a single moment, they made sense.

Magic doesn't contextualize well and rarely sees the big picture. He doesn't look that many steps out, he only saw the next basket. He doesn't really think about the far-ranging consequences of what he says.

When Magic was forced to choose his words carefully, he was very uncomfortable.

Magic wanted and had (with the exception of being able to fire Luke) ultimate basketball authority. He gave his snap choices on why he got rid of Randle, D-Lo, and Zubac. He overrode the scouts on Wagner.

Rob is more of a process guy, he keeps talking about the collaboration. Rob diplomatically said, "there was collaboration around those decisions with the staff and then he (Magic) ultimately made the final choice on basketball matters". I don't know which decisions, if any, they disagreed with. Rob isn't throwing bodies out of the bus. Rob is at least attempting a show a unified front, even in the face of chaos.

It would've been pretty impossible to get Magic to function and process differently. He wants to run things like he did on the basketball court. Impulsively and instinctively. That just doesn't translate that well into running an entire NBA team.

Magic, the salesman, was hampered by NBA rules. He wasn't allowed to be him. It basically handcuffed him at what he was the very best -- his ability to use his charm and light up a room which elsewhere he was able to convert into business success. But in the NBA, no, he wasn't allowed. That part, he hated.
Team of the 80's
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:54 am    Post subject:

Rob looks alot better this morning compared to Magic despite what BSPN and some of you may claim. Magic looks like a fool for saying yesterday that he was part-time when he took the job now that the video has surfaced of him saying the exact opposite. Lets see what Rob can do.
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 9:01 am    Post subject:

People wouldnt trade fairly with us when we had Mitch, someone everyone liked, I could careless if other teams dont like Rob, they still dont deal with us fairly. At least with Rob it seems like he is ruthless and will look out for the teams best interests and not trade just to trade or do something impulsive like sign Mozgov at 9:01 PM on July 1st
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 9:09 am    Post subject:

Day wrote:
ocho wrote:
KobeDunk wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:
Ever since he left there has been no drama or soap opera stories coming out of the Lakers organization.

Huh? Since Magic left they skipped out on exit interviews, refused to clarify or define the FO structure until a couple days ago, failed to control the message on several fronts, and engaged in a completely botched coaching search. They've barely had anything to do since the end of the season and handled none of it well.

botched how? That's the media's portrayal of what happened. I believe Vogel is a better choice than Lue would have been.

You're entitled to your opinion. The Lakers disagreed. I know it's in fashion to dismiss unflattering news as "fake" but if you think that process went smoothly I can't help you.

Well they wanted the trio of Lue, Vogel, and Kidd - all for different reasons. It's not botched that they got 2/3 of the people they wanted.

They ended up with their 3rd or 4th choice and the guy they saw as an assistant to the guy they really wanted. In other words, exactly how they planned it.
Day
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 9:31 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Day wrote:
ocho wrote:
KobeDunk wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:

They ended up with their 3rd or 4th choice and the guy they saw as an assistant to the guy they really wanted. In other words, exactly how they planned it.

Did they ever actually offer anything to Monty?
I don't think who was HC/AC/etc really mattered. They wanted Lue for LeBron, Kidd for Lonzo/development, and Vogel for defense. After Lue walked it was a matter of who would be HC and because of the domestic abuse/duo (bleep) from Kidd they went with Vogel. I don't really see how it was botched, they had a plan and went with it. Lue wanted more years, Lakers learned their lesson and didn't want to offer him a long contract without knowing where we'd be post-LeBron.

You have a narrative you're trying to push and that's fine but I think the media makes up a bunch of stuff and you have to just look at the facts and make your own interpretation of it. Look at this with the emails that turned out to be pure fabrication pushed by someone as prominent as Bucher, ignore the spin. The facts are that the Lakers wanted Lue, Vogel, and Kidd on their coaching staff, they had interviewed Monty previously and he took an offer before somewhere else before things moved forward - we have no clue if Monty would have been picked, it's likely him being the favorite was put out to the media by his people to get him a quick offer to take in PHX.

The Lakers had a plan and vision on their coaching staff and weren't going to compromise it because 1 of the 3 people they wanted didn't see eye to eye with them. It was either cave into Lue and his vision or actually stick to their own. This is the first thing we can say Rob has done with certainty and it shows leadership. We'll see if it works out.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 9:32 am    Post subject:

LAL1947 wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
Be honest with the coaches and open to their POVs. Be as honest as you can to the players. And lie your ass off to the media.

I think Rob has been doing exactly this?

TBH, the more I'm getting to know about Rob and see how he is handling this side-show, the more I like him. Hopefully he will prove capable of building a team as POBO-GM and be very successful here. It would be really great if he can help land a 30% FA like Kawhi, Kyrie, Butler, etc... but I'd also be good if they can't land one of those and decide to go about building a long-term contending team through the draft (as long as they build it well).

Yep he is. I think he could end up doing a good job.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 9:39 am    Post subject:

Day wrote:
ocho wrote:
Day wrote:
ocho wrote:
KobeDunk wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:

I don't think who was HC/AC/etc really mattered. They wanted Lue for LeBron, Kidd for Lonzo/development, and Vogel for defense. After Lue walked it was a matter of who would be HC and because of the domestic abuse/duo (bleep) from Kidd they went with Vogel. I don't really see how it was botched, they had a plan and went with it. Lue wanted more years, Lakers learned their lesson and didn't want to offer him a long contract without knowing where we'd be post-LeBron.

You have a narrative you're trying to push and that's fine but I think the media makes up a bunch of stuff and you have to just look at the facts and make your own interpretation of it. Look at this with the emails that turned out to be pure fabrication pushed by someone as prominent as Bucher, ignore the spin. The facts are that the Lakers wanted Lue, Vogel, and Kidd on their coaching staff, they had interviewed Monty previously and he took an offer before somewhere else before things moved forward - we have no clue if Monty would have been picked, it's likely him being the favorite was put out to the media by his people to get him a quick offer to take in PHX.

The Lakers had a plan and vision on their coaching staff and weren't going to compromise it because 1 of the 3 people they wanted didn't see eye to eye with them. It was either cave into Lue and his vision or actually stick to their own. This is the first thing we can say Rob has done with certainty and it shows leadership. We'll see if it works out.

Lol I'm pushing a narrative but you're not even though you're spinning like a cyclone trying to prove that the Lakers ending up with their 3rd or 4th choice is actually brilliant and exactly what they wanted. Whatever you say. It's really some vision to blow it with your first two choices and end up with a HC that flamed out at his last gig and a top assistant who is an atrocious coach. This stuff is precisely the kind of thing you can expect when you take a novice with no experience and drop him into the top job. He'll be learning on the job at our expense.
Day
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 9:45 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Day wrote:
ocho wrote:
Day wrote:
ocho wrote:
KobeDunk wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:

Lol I'm pushing a narrative but you're not even though you're spinning like a cyclone trying to prove that the Lakers ending up with their 3rd or 4th choice is actually brilliant and exactly what they wanted. Whatever you say. It's really some vision to blow it with your first two choices and end up with a HC that flamed out at his last gig and a top assistant who is an atrocious coach. This stuff is precisely the kind of thing you can expect when you take a novice with no experience and drop him into the top job. He'll be learning on the job at our expense.

Thank you for proving my point and not answering any of the questions I asked.

Did we ever say Monty was our favorite? Did we ever offer him anything? Isn't it most likely he put that info out himself to get a job with PHX?

I never said it was brilliant and what did you expect from Vogel in Orlando? Biyombo was their most paid player, their roster was absolute garbage and a ton of Orlando fans were upset they let go of Vogel and came to his defense. So unless you can really break down why it was his fault Orlando sucked then your "flamed out" comment is just conjecture.

So unless we can 100% confirm that Monty Williams was who we were going to make an offer to the facts show that we wanted multiple people on our coaching staff, Lue agreed to take Vogel on but didn't want Kidd, that was the main reason he walked according to him. The Lakers chose to go with Vogel and Kidd over Lue and Vogel, you can buy into whatever media spin you want. When it first happened the only reports were "THE LAKERS LOWBALL LUE AND HE WALKS" and then it comes out that Lue said the main reason was Kidd. That shows Lue didn't see eye to eye with the Lakers plan and the Lakers were confident going forward with Vogel and Kidd over Lue and Vogel.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 9:48 am    Post subject:

You're right. Vogel did a tremendous job in Orlando. A real clinic.

If the Lakers "vision" includes the mandatory inclusion of Jason Kidd it tells me all I need to know about that vision.
Day
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 10:20 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
You're right. Vogel did a tremendous job in Orlando. A real clinic.

If the Lakers "vision" includes the mandatory inclusion of Jason Kidd it tells me all I need to know about that vision.

Man you really can't make a reply without putting words in my mouth, huh? When did I say he did a tremendous job? Lol

I said that team was doomed with or without him. I can guarantee that Ty Lue wouldn't have won in Orlando that year that's for damn sure.
lakerlori
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 10:25 am    Post subject:

Threatt_Level wrote:
Pelinka was supposedly putting in like 80-90% of the work, but now this is all Magic's fault. I'm getting flashbacks to the days of all our bad moves were Jim's fault and all of our good moves were due to Mitch's genius.

The difference is that now we KNOW that most of the bad decisions were Magic's: Lopez, Randle, Zu.... he's the one trashing players, too. So for now, Pelinka is safe, at least in the future it'll clear when Pelinka is the bad decision maker.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject:

Day wrote:
ocho wrote:
Day wrote:
ocho wrote:
KobeDunk wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:

Did they even bring in Vogel for the first round of interviews? That should say it all right there.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 10:30 am    Post subject:

Day wrote:
So unless you can really break down why it was his fault Orlando sucked then your "flamed out" comment is just conjecture.

Isn't that the whole point of an internet sports message board? To allow average fans to engage in "conjecture" with other fans?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10
Jump to: