RIP Bill Buckner

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject: RIP Bill Buckner

Passed away at age 69 after battling dementia. He had a really good 22 year long MLB career, but sadly is mostly remembered for the error in the '86 World Series that cost the Red Sox the World Series.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 12:08 pm    Post subject:

Very sad. RIP.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 12:10 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 12:12 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyKB0ft9N28

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 12:47 pm    Post subject:

Billy Buck came into the league as a Los Angeles Dodger. I remember him more for his stay here than the booted ground ball. RIP

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 12:55 pm    Post subject:

I was standing in the isle just to the right of home plate, with a perfect view to third, and watched this up close. Even though my team took in the shorts, this is the most exciting play I ever saw live:

OUT!!!
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 12:58 pm    Post subject:

We actually don’t know if the error cost the Red Sox the series. The game was tied when he committed the error so they may have lost anyway. And after that the Red Sox blew a 3-0 lead and lost game 7 (the error was in game 6).
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 1:48 pm    Post subject:

Even a Cardinal fan can give respect to a Cubbie. RIP.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 5:38 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Billy Buck came into the league as a Los Angeles Dodger. I remember him more for his stay here than the booted ground ball. RIP

He was a typical Dodger phenom, our team was so deep then that somehow we lost him.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 5:52 pm    Post subject:

It's so unfortunate that he's most remembered for that ill-fated play in Game 6 of the '86 Series. For one thing, he shouldn't have even been in the game in that inning; he was hobbled by an injury, and manager John McNamara should have had a better defender in the game with the lead and just 3 outs to go for a championship. Next, pitcher Bob Stanley reacted late to the little dribbler up the line, and with Wilson's speed, there probably wasn't even a play to be made at first base had Buckner even fielded the ball. Of course, Ray Knight wouldn't have scored on the play had he fielded it, but I've always felt that the play should have been ruled a base hit and an error. Lastly, as Steve007 correctly points out, the game was tied at the time, they still may have lost, and, furthermore, it was Stanley's wild pitch that actually tied the game up for the Mets.

Over 2700 hits, and had a .300 average from 1972-1982, one of only 5 major leaguers to do so. He was a heck of a player, and by all accounts a stand-up guy. RIP.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 6:11 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
jodeke wrote:

He was a typical Dodger phenom, our team was so deep then that somehow we lost him.

To the Cubbies!
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 6:13 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
jodeke wrote:

He was a very good Dodger. He just became expendable after the Dodgers moved Steve Garvey to first base. He played outfield instead for a few years, but it wasn't his natural position. He was eventually traded for Rick Monday.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 6:17 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
It's so unfortunate that he's most remembered for that ill-fated play in Game 6 of the '86 Series. For one thing, he shouldn't have even been in the game in that inning; he was hobbled by an injury, and manager John McNamara should have had a better defender in the game with the lead and just 3 outs to go for a championship. Next, pitcher Bob Stanley reacted late to the little dribbler up the line, and with Wilson's speed, there probably wasn't even a play to be made at first base had Buckner even fielded the ball. Of course, Ray Knight wouldn't have scored on the play had he fielded it, but I've always felt that the play should have been ruled a base hit and an error. Lastly, as Steve007 correctly points out, the game was tied at the time, they still may have lost, and, furthermore, it was Stanley's wild pitch that actually tied the game up for the Mets.

Over 2700 hits, and had a .300 average from 1972-1982, one of only 5 major leaguers to do so. He was a heck of a player, and by all accounts a stand-up guy. RIP.

My daughter has been (correctly) ranting about that every time the story of his death is on the news. As she says, "it's so (bleep) up that everyone keeps saying 'best known for his mistake in the WS' . . . that's because the media keeps focusing on it. People should talk about the good stuff".
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 6:46 pm    Post subject:

LuciusAllen wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
jodeke wrote:

He was a very good Dodger. He just became expendable after the Dodgers moved Steve Garvey to first base. He played outfield instead for a few years, but it wasn't his natural position. He was eventually traded for Rick Monday.

He was a decent left fielder but had an injury to his Achilles that limited his mobility. Still finished his career with 2715 hits.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 7:00 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
I was standing in the isle just to the right of home plate, with a perfect view to third, and watched this up close. Even though my team took in the shorts, this is the most exciting play I ever saw live:

OUT!!!

anything beyond perfection with those 2 throws, and he is safe
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 7:05 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

My daughter has been (correctly) ranting about that every time the story of his death is on the news. As she says, "it's so (bleep) up that everyone keeps saying 'best known for his mistake in the WS' . . . that's because the media keeps focusing on it. People should talk about the good stuff".

toothpaste is out of the tube on that narrative....you can try, but I do not see anything changing. Even I knew that was not the winning run, but still claimed he cost the Red Sox the series because that narrative is so indoctrinated into baseball history and pop culture.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 7:16 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

toothpaste is out of the tube on that narrative....you can try, but I do not see anything changing. Even I knew that was not the winning run, but still claimed he cost the Red Sox the series because that narrative is so indoctrinated into baseball history and pop culture.

Absolutely. The narrative will never change. It was just a nice reminder from a different generation of sports fan that it's important "get over it".
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 7:55 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyKB0ft9N28

roflmao dammit

rip
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 1:20 pm    Post subject:

I'd forgotten Buckner played with the California Angels for 1 year. 1987 - 88

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 3:50 pm    Post subject:

I heard Joe Scarborough this morning say that does not know a single Red Sox fan that blamed Buckner for the '86 World Series
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 5:26 am    Post subject:

RIP

I realize that there is unfairness is the way that Buckner is remembered. On the other hand, if not for his famous error, he would not be widely remembered at all. Fame and infamy are sometimes inseparable. Because of the error, we pause to reflect on the many good things he did as a player. There is justice in this.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: