Jason Kidd Hiring=Greek Freak Plan
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 9:48 pm    Post subject:

Beir32 wrote:
slavavov wrote:
If this is true, I like how the Lakers are thinking a few steps ahead.

If Giannis were to really come here in 2021, he'd turn only 27 that season, meaning that we could have him playing at a high level for several years.

I'd rather hire coaches who develop our young talent instead of hoping for an outside chance that a guy who's two years away from free agency might like one of our assistants. Seriously.

I agree with that, but at the same time it's not a bad idea to keep flexibility open for the future so that we can continue to be a good/great team after LeBron leaves.

When Kobe, Pau, Lamar and MWP signed their extensions, they all ended in 2014. Supposedly it was so that if Kobe retired that year they could sign someone like LeBron or Melo (who were both FAs in the summer of 2014).
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 10:03 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
Beir32 wrote:
slavavov wrote:

If Giannis were to really come here in 2021, he'd turn only 27 that season, meaning that we could have him playing at a high level for several years.

I'd rather hire coaches who develop our young talent instead of hoping for an outside chance that a guy who's two years away from free agency might like one of our assistants. Seriously.

I agree with that, but at the same time it's not a bad idea to keep flexibility open for the future so that we can continue to be a good/great team after LeBron leaves.

When Kobe, Pau, Lamar and MWP signed their extensions, they all ended in 2014. Supposedly it was so that if Kobe retired that year they could sign someone like LeBron or Melo (who were both FAs in the summer of 2014).

what they don't get is no one is punting Cap Space for Giannis...

the plan was already in place in the Bron contract.

Bron opts out then Giannis can take the cap space created.

It's kinda forward and creative thinking.
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 10:06 pm    Post subject:

They can then go over the cap space to sign Lebron up to his MAX salary because by then (3 years) the Lakers would have his Bird rights.

Do you like it now?
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:35 pm    Post subject:

bump

CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:38 pm    Post subject:

Why wasn't Giannis able to prevent Kidd from being fired if he likes him that much?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:41 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Why wasn't Giannis able to prevent Kidd from being fired if he likes him that much?

you probably haven't heard the reports what Freak offered Kidd.
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:45 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Kidd, "He called me and said, 'Coach, this isn't right what they're about to do, but (they) are gonna let you go.' "

Kidd says he told Antetokounmpo that "I had a feeling that was gonna take place."

Quote:
Kidd says Antetokounmpo replied, "'What can I do? I'll call the owners, I'll call my agent."

Kidd said he told him, "There's nothing you can do. All you can do is tell the truth. That's it."
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:04 pm    Post subject:

Beir32 wrote:
slavavov wrote:

Do we know that having Kidd would even make a difference?
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:07 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Beir32 wrote:
slavavov wrote:

Do we know that having Kidd would even make a difference?

Kidd is a very expensive paperweight.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:08 pm    Post subject:

Hero Ball wrote:
Quote:
Kidd, "He called me and said, 'Coach, this isn't right what they're about to do, but (they) are gonna let you go.' "

Kidd says he told Antetokounmpo that "I had a feeling that was gonna take place."

Quote:
Kidd says Antetokounmpo replied, "'What can I do? I'll call the owners, I'll call my agent."

Kidd said he told him, "There's nothing you can do. All you can do is tell the truth. That's it."

And then Giannis got his first real coach and realized the grass was greener on the other side.
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:10 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

And then Giannis got his first real coach and realized the grass was greener on the other side.

Until he reaches the Finals...
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:10 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
Beir32 wrote:
slavavov wrote:

And like Kobe we probably lock up Lebron for 5 years at the max.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:11 pm    Post subject:

Hero Ball wrote:
They can then go over the cap space to sign Lebron up to his MAX salary because by then (3 years) the Lakers would have his Bird rights.

Do you like it now?

Lebron would have a $60 mil cap hold
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:12 pm    Post subject:

Hero Ball wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Interesting. What did he have to tell the truth about?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:14 pm    Post subject:

Hero Ball wrote:
2019 wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

I'm saying he got his coach. Bud was the greener grass versus Kidd.

Obviously speaking in hyperbole but the point is that I sent see Kidd having any sort or recruiting affect on Giannis as he now knows what a real coach is.
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:14 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:

Do you like it now?

Quote:

What is a cap hold?

A cap hold is the amount of space a free agent counts towards a team’s cap. These “cap holds” factor in when a team signs free agents. If they didn’t exist, a team could use their cap space to sign other free agents until the space was gone, and then re-sign their own free agents using the Bird exception. A cap hold cannot exceed the maximum contract offer that player can receive on the open market (as defined by years of experience – indicated in the table above by MAX followed by the years of experience). The cap hold disappears if the team renounces their own free agent, that free agent signs with a new team, or re-signs with the same team.
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:18 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
2019 wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

I'm saying he got his coach. Bud was the greener grass versus Kidd.

Obviously speaking in hyperbole but the point is that I sent see Kidd having any sort or recruiting affect on Giannis as he now knows what a real coach is.

I like Bud but he was garbage in the Raptors series.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:18 pm    Post subject:

Conspiracy Theory number 9,964 ? Some folk really like to set themselves up for disillusion.

Lets play the season do as good or great a job as can be, let
the FO do their gig and the chips fall where they may.
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:23 pm    Post subject:

deal wrote:
Conspiracy Theory number 9,964 ? Some folk really like to set themselves up for disillusion.

Lets play the season do as good or great a job as can be, let
the FO do their gig and the chips fall where they may.

that is the gig right there and now with the Kostas acquisition it's pretty evident who we are after in 2021.

Last edited by Hero Ball on Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:26 pm    Post subject:

I'm not saying we will get him.

What I'm trying to say is we want to get him.

Fking big difference.
Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:37 pm    Post subject:

Hero Ball wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:

Do you like it now?

Quote:

What is a cap hold?

A cap hold is the amount of space a free agent counts towards a team’s cap. These “cap holds” factor in when a team signs free agents. If they didn’t exist, a team could use their cap space to sign other free agents until the space was gone, and then re-sign their own free agents using the Bird exception. A cap hold cannot exceed the maximum contract offer that player can receive on the open market (as defined by years of experience – indicated in the table above by MAX followed by the years of experience). The cap hold disappears if the team renounces their own free agent, that free agent signs with a new team, or re-signs with the same team.

If it's a big deal, Lebron can opt out of his contract in 2021. Lakers could then renounce him and resign him to an optimal 1 year contract out of cap space (even down to a minimum contract) that would allow a max free agent slot. Then use the max slot to sign a free agent like Giannis.

Even though the Lakers renounced Lebron in this scenario, since he maintained continuous contracts for 3 years+, Lakers would maintain his bird rights and could then be able to exceed the cap the following year to re-up to a full max.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:58 pm    Post subject:

Staccatos wrote:

If it's a big deal, Lebron can opt out of his contract in 2021. Lakers could then renounce him and resign him to an optimal 1 year contract out of cap space (even down to a minimum contract) that would allow a max free agent slot. Then use the max slot to sign a free agent like Giannis.

Even though the Lakers renounced Lebron in this scenario, since he maintained continuous contracts for 3 years+, Lakers would maintain his bird rights and could then be able to exceed the cap the following year to re-up to a full max.

It would be interesting to see how the NBA reacts if Lebron opts out of $40 million, signs a minimum deal, and then signs a lengthy contract for the max.

That scenario sure would look like cap circumvention, and the NBA only needs "circumstantial evidence" rather than direct proof to void contracts and penalize people. If it reached that point, it would be interest to see how the inevitable arbitration went.

Of course, all this will be moot if Lebron doesn't opt out, or if Giannis makes the finals again and signs a supermax contract next summer.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject:

Meh. I thought Lebron was a pipedream without a 2nd star coming with him. The chances may be slim but I won't say getting Giannis is impossible. We don't know what Giannis will be thinking if he gets eliminated from the playoffs the next 2 years. Two years is a long time in the NBA world and a lot can change.

I'm glad we have a team that can compete for titles now with a plan to compete for many more years in the future.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:55 pm    Post subject:

Staccatos wrote:

numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:59 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
The thing about Jason that kept me to have an open mind immediately is that the lead assistant role on my staff, I’ve always tried to fill with a former player, a former respected player that has coaching experience dating back to Brian Shaw first, initially, and then onto Nate McMillan, and then Corliss Williamson on my coaching staff in Orlando.

“Those guys to me have always been the right complement to me, someone who has a strong background in terms of preparation and doing the video work and whatnot, but hadn’t played in the NBA. So I felt like those types of guys are perfect complements to me, and Jason may be the best of the bunch

Hopefully, Vogel learned from Blatt's mistake and doesn't allow a rift to develop to where only Kidd has Lebron and the other player's trust.

LINK
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: