ESPN Article - Lakers 2.0: The failed reboot of the NBA's crown jewel
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 8:40 am    Post subject:

I hope, however, that Rob got his actors mixed up. Otherwise the Heath Ledger thing speaks to a deep character flaw (that is often found in agents).
Fracture
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 8:43 am    Post subject:

Man Kawhi ain't coming to this (bleep) show
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 8:52 am    Post subject:

This must have been a part of the piece that was supposedly coming out the day or two around Magic resigned, speaking to harassment in the org. Sucks to see this, but in some ways glad at least Magic is no longer directly involved in our org structure.
PHILosopher
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 8:56 am    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/JohnnyNBA/status/1133369669103083521

The article linked below tries to explain the timing. Because it would be weird if Pelinka was telling a big fat lie here.

https://comicbook.com/dc/2018/05/19/kobe-bryant-the-dark-knight-heath-ledger/
The God Particle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject:

Day wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
Day wrote:
"Former staffers" aka Luke & Friends.

The stuff on Rob always seems to fall so short of being anything to me though. He asked Josh what he thought of a pick and that's "covertly going to a player" or w/e? Like...ok. And FWIW I would rather have Moe.

No, Pelinka is a proven pathological liar and back stabber. Don’t excuse his bs

Still waiting for the backstabber stuff. Asking a player who played where someone they were thinking of drafting played about that player isn't backstabbing. Stating that someone who was often absent in the office was absent in the office isn't backstabbing.

The Heath Ledger thing is weird though lol

If true, I think selecting a player your own scouting department is completely unaware is being drafted is a big big problem.

And if I were a member of that scouting department sitting at the kid table/room.... I know exactly how I'd feel.

With everything else, I agree with you.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 9:10 am    Post subject:

akk7 wrote:
Some Laker fans sounding like Trump supporters, with blaming the media, denying everything reported, and the conspiracy theories (Ballmer paying ESPN off ).

Honestly, none of this article is new. Most of this stuff we heard about in pieces. That Heath Ledger part can't be true though . That's hilarious.

Reactions like that are always amusing, in a facepalm sort of way. Having a lot of visibility into how ESPN writing works, some amount of visibility into both the Lakers and Clippers front offices, and knowing Baxter pretty well, I can tell you that the critical reactions I see here are all just swinging in the dark. BTW, there's nothing he wrote that's inconsistent with what I already knew.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 9:16 am    Post subject:

Very damning article and I only read half of it so far....doesn't look good for Lakers management and culture. Not a good look for Magic either, its no wonder he hasn't had much success outside of his personal businesses. I'm afraid the Buss family will eventually have to sell the team if they want a revival of the Lakers brand.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 9:19 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
When you have a family-run, mom and pop organization but somehow inspire more fear and anxiety than a soulless corporate atmosphere.

Pump this (bleep) into my veins.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 9:21 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
When you have a family-run, mom and pop organization but somehow inspire more fear and anxiety than a soulless corporate atmosphere.

Pump this (bleep) into my veins.

Monarchies have been doing this for centuries.
SD2Hollyweird
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 9:22 am    Post subject:

The moment they all said no to Jerry West coming back to advise, when he made clear he wanted to, makes all of this oh sooooo sadly and entirely believable.
I believe that a triangle, if it could speak, would say that God is eminently triangular, and a circle that the divine nature is eminently circular; and thus would every one ascribe his own attributes to God. - Baruch Spinoza
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 9:23 am    Post subject:

Didn’t/won’t read. Full on assault on the team. Man. For being so dysfunctional the lakers sure get a lot of people paid.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 9:24 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
It's crazy b/c:

1. Lakers will continue making ungodly profits
2. the city will continue to treat Lakers games as marquee and top notch
3. it will retain a global brand name
4. we IMO lucked into LBJ and now the 4th pick.
5. we may luck into a max FA too

So these blessings may eventually end up being a curse when we really need a true infrastructure to adapt to the modern NBA.

Fans need to treat the owners like they did with the Dodgers during the McCourt debacle, but I doubt that will happen since the Lakers are huge in this city. So nothing will likely happen.
ReaListik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 9:26 am    Post subject:

Enough with these people writing the same thing piling on the franchise. It’s been established over and over again that the team is in disarray. It’s like if you have people constantly telling you the same thing repeatedly “man that sucks to be you. Did I mention that it sucks to be you? It definitely sucks to be you.” Enough of this (bleep). Time to find solutions.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 9:28 am    Post subject:

I hate the fact that these sort of stuff comes out when free agency is right around the corner.. like seriously ... it gets annoying because it happens almost every year.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 9:40 am    Post subject:

ReaListik wrote:
Enough with these people writing the same thing piling on the franchise. It’s been established over and over again that the team is in disarray. It’s like if you have people constantly telling you the same thing repeatedly “man that sucks to be you. Did I mention that it sucks to be you? It definitely sucks to be you.” Enough of this (bleep). Time to find solutions.

Articles like this help put pressure on the organization to change. It’s not (bleep) for the media to be piling on the media. Even if it’s for clicks, it’s still a damning write up on ownership that one would hopefully either

1) inspire Jeanie to clean up this (bleep) show or

2) get the fan base more inspired to demand change
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 9:44 am    Post subject:

Everything starts from the top.
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 9:45 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Untwist your panties, ladies.

The Utopian office does not/has not/will not ever exist, in any business.

Losers of Lakers politics are sourced for a story and plunge a dagger in their former bosses' backs. Stunning . . . no. Typical.

TheBlackMamba wrote:
When will the bleeding stop?

(Answer - as long as Jeannie keeps hiding from the fans and settles for fighting a losing battle through the media like a coward, it won't stop.)

Worst thing Jeanie can do is to respond/react to this stuff publicly. All that will do is fan the flames and make it a season long story. If the team goes out, signs a top FA and trades for AD or Beal, the "dysfunctional FO" story goes into the refrigerator.

Case in point - May of 2007. Jimmy blasts Phil on radio. Rambis and Jeanie crack back on radio. Kobe says our FO is crap and demands a trade. The media has a field day. Bynum balls out, Lakers start the seasons 7-3 en route to 26-11 and no one remembers the story. Then after Bynum gets hurt they trade for Gasol, go on a 10 game winning streak and the Lakers have the greatest FO in the league.

This.
bluehill
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
€H£M£$TR¥ wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
€H£M£$TR¥ wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
€H£M£$TR¥ wrote:
Don’t give this article click traffic.

Is this in the same line of thought about never going to the doctor b/c you don't want to hear about ailments or health issues that need to be dealt with?

Seriously, is it? Because after reading this article, are the fans better off knowing more facts? Is the team in better or worse position reading these articles? Seems to me that the only beneficiary is the author and the type of content.

Sports is in general entertainment. Those who decry the lack of sports "journalism" forget this central fact. ESPN is in business partnerships with the very leagues they cover.

But it's clear (and this article is just piling on, I get it) that we have great luck as a franchise.

Imagine having that luck and making it more the residue of design? That's what I want.

I respect it, Yin. But in terms of what is entertaining, fans have differing focus. We are all consumers. Some want to go to Ghiradelli and witness how the ice cream is made... some go to wineries and take the tour, others just want to enjoy the product.

Yeah. But I want a better process for us instead of sitting in front of the altar of Showtime and praying for stars to join us.

We have the location. Brand. Fanbase. We have LBJ, young core, everything.

Just do the easy thing and hire competent people. Then you add another amazing notch to the Lakers belt. I don't get why this FO refuses to do that.

(and now let us go back to the Showtime altar and pray).

Unfortunately, Jeanie may be mixing up familiarity and loyalty with competence, so it's not an easy thing for her.

For now though, there is relative stability with Rob somewhat in control and an established coach on board, so not much we can do but what and see what happens in the draft and free agency. My concern is when there are decisions where the answer is not clear cut, who makes the final call.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
ReaListik wrote:

Articles like this help put pressure on the organization to change. It’s not (bleep) for the media to be piling on the media. Even if it’s for clicks, it’s still a damning write up on ownership that one would hopefully either

1) inspire Jeanie to clean up this (bleep) show or

2) get the fan base more inspired to demand change

If the stuff is true - or the sources are deemed credible enough and the stories are validated - the media has every right to publish this stuff.

HOWEVER - any where you go and see the sausage being made will make you want to give up sausage.
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 9:58 am    Post subject:

€H£M£$TR¥ wrote:

€H£M£$TR¥
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 10:06 am    Post subject:

bluehill wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
€H£M£$TR¥ wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
€H£M£$TR¥ wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
€H£M£$TR¥ wrote:

Is this in the same line of thought about never going to the doctor b/c you don't want to hear about ailments or health issues that need to be dealt with?

Seriously, is it? Because after reading this article, are the fans better off knowing more facts? Is the team in better or worse position reading these articles? Seems to me that the only beneficiary is the author and the type of content.

Sports is in general entertainment. Those who decry the lack of sports "journalism" forget this central fact. ESPN is in business partnerships with the very leagues they cover.

But it's clear (and this article is just piling on, I get it) that we have great luck as a franchise.

Imagine having that luck and making it more the residue of design? That's what I want.

I respect it, Yin. But in terms of what is entertaining, fans have differing focus. We are all consumers. Some want to go to Ghiradelli and witness how the ice cream is made... some go to wineries and take the tour, others just want to enjoy the product.

Yeah. But I want a better process for us instead of sitting in front of the altar of Showtime and praying for stars to join us.

We have the location. Brand. Fanbase. We have LBJ, young core, everything.

Just do the easy thing and hire competent people. Then you add another amazing notch to the Lakers belt. I don't get why this FO refuses to do that.

(and now let us go back to the Showtime altar and pray).

Unfortunately, Jeanie may be mixing up familiarity and loyalty with competence, so it's not an easy thing for her.

For now though, there is relative stability with Rob somewhat in control and an established coach on board, so not much we can do but what and see what happens in the draft and free agency. My concern is when there are decisions where the answer is not clear cut, who makes the final call.

The owner makes the final call. Fans, media, ex stars, they all want a say in how the Lakers are run. They do not, as much as they want it. It’s a private family owned team. You’re either on board, or you switch to another team that is run the way you like. It’s really that simple. No one is forcing people to be Lakers fans. If you don’t like the owner, then force her out by not watching and not feeding the revenue streams of the purple and gold. Roll out, real talk.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 10:06 am    Post subject:

LAL1947 wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
Untwist your panties, ladies.

The Utopian office does not/has not/will not ever exist, in any business.

Losers of Lakers politics are sourced for a story and plunge a dagger in their former bosses' backs. Stunning . . . no. Typical.

TheBlackMamba wrote:
When will the bleeding stop?

(Answer - as long as Jeannie keeps hiding from the fans and settles for fighting a losing battle through the media like a coward, it won't stop.)

Worst thing Jeanie can do is to respond/react to this stuff publicly. All that will do is fan the flames and make it a season long story. If the team goes out, signs a top FA and trades for AD or Beal, the "dysfunctional FO" story goes into the refrigerator.

Case in point - May of 2007. Jimmy blasts Phil on radio. Rambis and Jeanie crack back on radio. Kobe says our FO is crap and demands a trade. The media has a field day. Bynum balls out, Lakers start the seasons 7-3 en route to 26-11 and no one remembers the story. Then after Bynum gets hurt they trade for Gasol, go on a 10 game winning streak and the Lakers have the greatest FO in the league.

This.

Yep. I have no issues lucking into anything.
As the great Chick used to say, "I'd rather be lucky than good"

But I think most of us knew Magic was a weird hire.
Rob does not seem like a class act. But my hope is that he now lets the coaching staff and the buss boys have a say.

That article was a straight up Lakers org killer. Well, until, some other crazy news comes out I guess.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 10:14 am    Post subject:

My biggest takeaway from the article:

Freaking Klutch sports!
jjangx27
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 10:15 am    Post subject:

Wow that was just.... utterly depressing
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 10:20 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
TheKing23 wrote:
Ballmer paid ESPN off lol a hit piece to discourage free agents

Ballmer is doing his best to drive the narrative.

This is something the Lakers should bring up in Max FA meetings. Do your homework on what Ballmer/Jenkins are doing and have proof, it’s pretty obvious they are behind some of the excessive Lakers trashing in media.

They should bring up that the Clippers are more adept at using the media?

The Lakers should definitely include a paranoid media conspiracy theory secretly funded by a rival team in their pitch to potential FAs. This wouldn't make the Lakers look any worse than they already do it at all. Maybe they can blame George Soros for paying the protestors too.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10
Jump to: