ESPN Article - Lakers 2.0: The failed reboot of the NBA's crown jewel
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 6:08 am    Post subject: ESPN Article - Lakers 2.0: The failed reboot of the NBA's crown jewel

New, very long and detailed article by Baxter Holmes about the Maginka era.

LINK

It's well worth reading, and IMO well worth its own topic. Everybody grab a cup of coffee, or boba tea, or whatever, and carve out some time this morning to read.
€H£M£$TR¥
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 6:11 am    Post subject:

Don’t give this article click traffic.
Sago
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 6:14 am    Post subject:

LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 6:30 am    Post subject:

Quote:
"Regarding Pelinka's fate, front-office staffers, coaching staff members and others close to the team point to the power and influence held by Linda Rambis... Rambis has long been an ardent supporter and ally of Pelinka for reasons some staffers said they don't fully understand."

This is interesting...it’s like high school. Rumors and gossip of who is sleeping with who...
ForumBlueFrank
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 6:32 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Pointing upstairs, toward his office, Johnson drove home his point. He had a large stack of resumes sitting on his desk -- "a thousand" of them, multiple staffers recall him saying -- and he could replace any of them at any time.

"It was shocking," said one Lakers coaching staff member who was present. "If you're going to be in this business, you bring enough pressure on yourself. You don't need more pressure, especially from someone who's supposed to be an ally."

The message would set the tone for what many staffers describe as Johnson's confrontational demeanor over the next two years. "If you questioned him on anything, his response was always a threatening tone," said a Lakers front office staffer who interacted with Johnson directly. "He used intimidation and bullying as a way of showing authority."

Sounds like an introduction to a hostile work environment. No one wants to work for someone like that. You treat people with dignity and respect, and you get it back 10 fold. I've worked with individuals like Magic, they never last long before they move on, or HR is involved, or a lawsuit is brought to an Org. eventually. That's just a toxic work environment.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 6:36 am    Post subject:

I'm gonna pretend there are two magic johnsons, the one when he was a player and the one afterwards
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 6:38 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Quote:
"Regarding Pelinka's fate, front-office staffers, coaching staff members and others close to the team point to the power and influence held by Linda Rambis... Rambis has long been an ardent supporter and ally of Pelinka for reasons some staffers said they don't fully understand."

This is interesting...it’s like high school. Rumors and gossip of who is sleeping with who...

How that was framed by Baxter was incredible. He leaves all the readers to think the same exact thing after reading those few lines without him saying a thing lol
Sago
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 6:39 am    Post subject:

What’s worse? Mavs issue or us? I just think everything is magnified since it’s the Lakers

But still bad rep though
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 6:42 am    Post subject:

So glad Magic is gone. Every laker fan should take the time to read it. Rob is a joke. Jeanie is obtuse and being manipulated. Linda Rambis is a supervillain. A world class organization should not be fostering such a toxic work environment... which I guess explains why the Lakers apparently created one.

Joey and Jesse doing their best to save the Lakers, I don’t think they will be heard but commend them trying. Luke Walton and his coaching staff were clearly HUGE sources for this
Clutch24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 6:42 am    Post subject:

Jeanie is an incompetent owner.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 6:43 am    Post subject:

Laker Clown Show is officially too generous.

It's a tipped over port-a-john.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 6:46 am    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
So glad Magic is gone. Every laker fan should take the time to read it. Rob is a joke. Jeanie is obtuse and being manipulated. Linda Rambis is a supervillain. A world class organization should not be fostering such a toxic work environment... which I guess explains why the Lakers apparently created one.

Joey and Jesse doing their best to save the Lakers, I don’t think they will be heard but commend them trying. Luke Walton and his coaching staff were clearly HUGE sources for this

Just wait a day or two for the “Leaks” on Walton, probably will include something on the Kelli Tenant situation.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 6:46 am    Post subject:

I don’t care if Magic’s already out. The quotes about employee treatment really piss me off. Jeanie turned the other way and enabled it and it’s really not ok. I hope she takes a lot of heat for this article.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 6:49 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:

Just wait a day or two for the “Leaks” on Walton, probably will include something on the Kelli Tenant situation.

I also think his staff here was a big source too. I really don’t care for defending Luke at all, whatever comes out about him comes out.
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 6:49 am    Post subject:

ForumBlueFrank wrote:
Quote:
Pointing upstairs, toward his office, Johnson drove home his point. He had a large stack of resumes sitting on his desk -- "a thousand" of them, multiple staffers recall him saying -- and he could replace any of them at any time.

"It was shocking," said one Lakers coaching staff member who was present. "If you're going to be in this business, you bring enough pressure on yourself. You don't need more pressure, especially from someone who's supposed to be an ally."

The message would set the tone for what many staffers describe as Johnson's confrontational demeanor over the next two years. "If you questioned him on anything, his response was always a threatening tone," said a Lakers front office staffer who interacted with Johnson directly. "He used intimidation and bullying as a way of showing authority."

Sounds like an introduction to a hostile work environment. No one wants to work for someone like that. You treat people with dignity and respect, and you get it back 10 fold. I've worked with individuals like Magic, they never last long before they move on, or HR is involved, or a lawsuit is brought to an Org. eventually. That's just a toxic work environment.

I wouldn't want to work for the Lakers, hearing things like this.

Quote:
Current and former team staffers told ESPN that Magic Johnson, who has business interests outside the Lakers, was frequently absent, sometimes appearing only once a week or every two weeks. But, these same people said, when Johnson was there, he could make his presence known in a demonstrative way.

"He comes off to the fan base with the big love and the smile," said one ex-Lakers athletic training official who interacted directly with Johnson. "But he's not -- he's a fear monger."

justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 6:51 am    Post subject:

Jeanie is a (bleep) joke. I’m livid about these employee quotes and the notes about her philosophy on how the Lakers ‘family’ is structured and how they do business.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 6:56 am    Post subject:

Which team would you rather have?

Team 1:

Mozgov/Zubac
Randle/Nance
Ingram/Deng
Russell/Lou
Clarkson/Ball

Coaches: Luke Walton HC Brian Shaw lead assistant

^
Lets assume that D'LO does end up becoming the player he does in Atkinson's Nets program, which I'm not sure is a given. I don't think he has the same opportunities or touches with this team and Luke's offense. But either way, his skills are same. Same with Randle, less numbers as Pelicans, but same skills.

Team 2:

McGee/Wagner
Lebron/Kuzma
Butler/Bullock
Ingram/Hart
Ball/Garland

Coaches: Frank Vogel HC Jason Kidd lead assistant

This is all I really care about.

I am so tired of the BS about the FO, dating back to the Jim era.
Is team 2 (probably not accurate as I'm just throwing out there that we may keep McGee and sign Jimmy, and draft Garland) better positioned in both the short and longterm to win a ring than team 1?

What's the evaluation on that.

IMO We're in a better position with the way team 2 is set up, than we were with team 1. Team 1 and Team 2 probably have comparable internal growth potential as well as young talent. However team 2 has the all-stars and talent to actually do two things. 1) Be a playoff team that can contend potentially. 2) Develop young players who have lottery/all-star talent. In Team 1, you simply have no shot a championship. Zero. If we sign even Jimmy Butler and nothing else significant, just by having a healthy LBJ, Jimmy Buckets and the young talent, we're in striking distance.

The way the team is set up in the Pelinka/Magic/Jeanie era, the team is doing more of what happened in Dr Buss' era. Meaning we're both a competitive team, with a major star, and probably a second all-star, while also having the young talent that is developing and going to come internally. This is who Dr Buss oversaw the Lakers in his time. 90's Lakers. The Kobe/Odom/Bynum Lakers, pre-Pau. Then you got Pau, and we saw results. To me we are positioned much more like that than we were in the latter stages of the Jim/Mitch era. That's all I really care about.

I'm so tired of he said, she said articles. It's like divorcing my ex-wife
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 7:01 am    Post subject:

disgruntled, incompetent ex-employees say bad things about their former employer.

Read the entire article and the main source is obviously Luke Walton.

Jeannie must go.

Last edited by Ziggy on Tue May 28, 2019 7:02 am; edited 1 time in total
lakerfanaticPT
Star Player
Star Player

Bad bad look for Jeannie and she still keeps silent. Incompetence -- so sad
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Quote:
"We all had the same reaction that the basketball world did, like what the f--- are we doing? Not only are we not getting shooting, but we're also getting every basket case left on the market."
Lakers coaching staff member on Los Angeles' 2018 offseason

This is what everyone was thinking with those signings.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 7:03 am    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Quote:
"We all had the same reaction that the basketball world did, like what the f--- are we doing? Not only are we not getting shooting, but we're also getting every basket case left on the market."

Yet we were the 4th seed before injuries.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 7:03 am    Post subject:

lakerfanaticPT wrote:
Bad bad look for Jeannie and she still keeps silent. Incompetence -- so sad

If she stays quiet over issues like hostile work environments and employee treatment that is honestly a new (bleep) low
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 7:05 am    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Quote:

Fans had same reaction.

Question is how much of these moves were Magic?
Sounded on First Take, he was taking credit for all the moves. Even the bad ones, like letting Brook go. I think Magic thought the team needed to play vastly different than Cleveland and thus went after Rondo, Stephenson etc.

Then you had to look at the fact that the Lakers were looking at 1 year deals, because they wanted capspace to sign a major free agent this summer. I didn't like Rondo at all, I said it at the time. I didn't care either way about McGee, but the real head scratching move was keeping KCP. Why?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 7:06 am    Post subject:

€H£M£$TR¥ wrote:
Don’t give this article click traffic.

Is this in the same line of thought about never going to the doctor b/c you don't want to hear about ailments or health issues that need to be dealt with?
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 7:07 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Quote:

Yet we were the 4th seed before injuries.

But that was mainly based on the play of LBJ, Kuzma, Ingram, Ball. McGee. Not really Rondo, Lance, KCP.

I think in general we should look back at this season and be happy it turned out that badly. Why? We wound up drafting 4th. We would have drafted 20th, and have a much weaker asset. And this team, even with a healthy roster, was not going to stay 4th, most likely 6th-7th and losing in the 1st round. I rather have the 4th pick to be honest.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10
Jump to: