ESPN Article - Lakers 2.0: The failed reboot of the NBA's crown jewel
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nnamdi21
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 8:35 pm    Post subject:

saetarubia wrote:
What irked me the most is Pelinka being part of pre match and half time team meetings which made the players uncomfortable. And the fact that he lied about Myers doing the same with Warriors since Luke left when Like brought it up to Pelinka. And Pelinka flat out lied as Myers doesn't take part in team meetings. Pelinka gonna continue same crap under Vogel too?

Luke should have went Phil Jackson on Pelinka

"West also confirmed the longtime rumor that Jackson once kicked him out of the locker room after a game. West quotes Jackson as saying, “Jerry, get the f– out, I’m not finished here yet.""
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 8:56 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Another day, another tour of the Lakers amateur hour leadership. So glad Magic is gone, and none of this is really new, but some serious self reflection needs to take place at the top of the org.

I hear you. The thing hat has me bummed is wondering about Jeanie. What actions has she taken that suggest she cares about this, or about the Lakers frankly? Those who have met her say she cares deeply for the team, but from the outside looking in she appears to make decisions more in line with her own interests over those of the team’s. That has been the case for years, starting with Jim, wanting Phil in the front office, down to now where the executive committee starts and ends with people she feels like her.
Shaolin's Finest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 9:07 pm    Post subject:

Is there any sports franchise more embarrassing than us right now? Words can't express the ineptitude of Jeanie Buss and this regime. Jim Buss was not the answer but Jeanie clearly is not either, she is a nice person but it's clear she is in over her head and cannot handle the responsibility of running this franchise.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 9:31 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
What about the reports of Rich Paul on charter planes? Kurt and Pelinka sitting in on coaches/players meetings? Those things were highlighted as very unusual if not outright forbidden on other teams. How about Rob going against his scouting department--the one proven commodity in our organization--because of a convo with Josh Hart, then deflecting blame on Josh Hart? How is any of that "business as usual"? There's really nothing that could have been reported here that would give you guys pause huh?

Being tied with the franchise most identified with dysfunction (NYK) for most losses in the NBA since Jeanie took over you'd think would be an indicator that the franchise is dysfunctional, but just like the Knicks, this is just a classic case of the media making up lies about a big market team when the truth is they are just as competent as all the other franchises making the postseason year after year instead of constantly humiliating themselves in the press year after year. Nothing to see here.

Nothing in there that hasn't been reported on other teams. RP rode on all of the CAVS charters and Morey sits in on team meetings in HOU all the time.

As for the overruling of scouts:

1 - Laker scout Ron Harper had Leandro Barbosa at the top of the board in 2003 . . . and Mitch drafted Brian Cook.

2 - Laker scout Jerry West had Sidney Moncrief at the top of the board because he was the safe pick, but Bill Sharman drafted Magic.

From West's autobiography:

Quote:
In [West] taking on a personnel role with the Lakers in 1979, the Lakers had the first pick in the NBA draft and it came down sophomore Magic Johnson out of Michigan State and Arkansas' Sidney Moncrief...

"West could easily see that Moncrief was destined to be an outstanding NBA guard. Johnson, on the other hand, was something of an odd duck..

...Johnson handled the ball in extraordinary but unorthodox fashion, but he was far from polished. Moncrief was a much safer pick...

...I thought he would be a very good player, West said of Johnson. I had no idea he would get to the level that he did. No idea...

The only difference between the Lakers' FO and others is the spotlight.

There are other things at stake that likely fuel this story, but let's be clear . . . if this stuff is happening with the Indiana Pacers, OKC Thunder, Denver Nuggets, etc., ESPN doesn't even bother to cover it.
PartyMan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 9:40 pm    Post subject:

As far as Magic goes, between reading the article and hearing him on ESPN today, I think the truth is somewhere in the middle.

The hardworking part I can believe Pelinka. When it comes to the Lakers, not anything else. Magic when he called in Svi pick couldn’t say his last name right, and always called JC “Clarkston.” Small detail, but come on Magic.

All things said, this franchise is in disarray. LeBron and his group coming in makes it it even harder. I feel bad for Jeannie, it’s just not a job she is cut out to do. Business and marketing sure, but being in charge of it all? Naw. The Lakers have never had more than a year or 2 of being bad when Dr. Buss was running things. 49ers went to S after Eddie D. A good owner is important, and I’m far from sold we have one.
george w kush
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 9:52 pm    Post subject:

Are you guys going to react this way every time a negative Lakers article comes out? If you are, you might as well stay off the internet because more of these articles are going to come out.

Not only do I not believe most of this stuff, but I'd be willing to bet a lot of it is made up due to the fact the companies like ESPN know the Lakers aren't going to come out and refute this stuff because it would only cause more drama. For instance, the part in the article where they state Pelinka told Nance he would never be traded, in which Nance recently responded he was told no such thing when he was a Laker.

The Lakers have a lot of haters out there trying to take them down. Also articles regarding the Lakers tend to be good click bait for ESPN.

Jeanie went all-in with Pelinka and he's not going anywhere anytime soon so you'd might as well stop crying about it. He may be a liar and a snake but let's hope he can use those skills and screw over a team into giving us a great player for nothing, kind of like how we did with Pau.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 9:55 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
What about the reports of Rich Paul on charter planes? Kurt and Pelinka sitting in on coaches/players meetings? Those things were highlighted as very unusual if not outright forbidden on other teams. How about Rob going against his scouting department--the one proven commodity in our organization--because of a convo with Josh Hart, then deflecting blame on Josh Hart? How is any of that "business as usual"? There's really nothing that could have been reported here that would give you guys pause huh?

Being tied with the franchise most identified with dysfunction (NYK) for most losses in the NBA since Jeanie took over you'd think would be an indicator that the franchise is dysfunctional, but just like the Knicks, this is just a classic case of the media making up lies about a big market team when the truth is they are just as competent as all the other franchises making the postseason year after year instead of constantly humiliating themselves in the press year after year. Nothing to see here.

Nothing in there that hasn't been reported on other teams. RP rode on all of the CAVS charters and Morey sits in on team meetings in HOU all the time.

1 - Laker scout Ron Harper had Leandro Barbosa at the top of the board in 2003 . . . and Mitch drafted Brian Cook.

2 - Laker scout Jerry West had Sidney Moncrief at the top of the board because he was the safe pick, but Bill Sharman drafted Magic.

Quote:
In [West] taking on a personnel role with the Lakers in 1979, the Lakers had the first pick in the NBA draft and it came down sophomore Magic Johnson out of Michigan State and Arkansas' Sidney Moncrief...

"West could easily see that Moncrief was destined to be an outstanding NBA guard. Johnson, on the other hand, was something of an odd duck..

...Johnson handled the ball in extraordinary but unorthodox fashion, but he was far from polished. Moncrief was a much safer pick...

...I thought he would be a very good player, West said of Johnson. I had no idea he would get to the level that he did. No idea...

There are other things at stake that likely fuel this story, but let's be clear . . . if this stuff is happening with the Indiana Pacers, OKC Thunder, Denver Nuggets, etc., ESPN doesn't even bother to cover it.

My man, please stop this illogical defense of the FO. I usually enjoy your posts but defending Jeanie and this FO is ridiculous
€H£M£$TR¥
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 11:02 pm    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
My man, please stop this illogical defense of the FO. I usually enjoy your posts but defending Jeanie and this FO is ridiculous

Be fair, Juggernaut, what do you want a rational card carrying Lakernation loyalist to do? Stand outside Staples with a sign that says “Sell the team Jeanie!”? I’ll defend Jeanie because she’s not trying to tank, she’s not trying to lower the value of the product, she’s not trying to sabotage every year to make the games unwatchable so that she can get out of doing something she has not interest in doing. She’s genuinely looking to add banners to the rafters. Judgements on how she goes about that are fair game, but why accost fans defending the intent? Because of reports by unnamed sources too cowardly to come forth and say it first hand?

Some use this situation as a Trumpian allegory... it really isn’t. Its the business of sports media to be as outlandish and loud and speculation driven as necessary. They don’t have to retract opinion pieces when they’re wrong. They have no accountability for turning Lakernation against ownership. They want drama. Because when the summer lull hits, and all they got is golf and baseball, they will have more folks outside, enjoying the sun rather than watching off season NBA drama. They are in the business of conjuring up the story because the contract signings and trades are singular events that once are reported are no longer worthy of prolonged click traffic. Recognize the why, and realize how you might be getting played.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 3:51 am    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Which team would you rather have?

Team 1:

Mozgov/Zubac
Randle/Nance
Ingram/Deng
Russell/Lou
Clarkson/Ball

Coaches: Luke Walton HC Brian Shaw lead assistant

^
Lets assume that D'LO does end up becoming the player he does in Atkinson's Nets program, which I'm not sure is a given. I don't think he has the same opportunities or touches with this team and Luke's offense. But either way, his skills are same. Same with Randle, less numbers as Pelicans, but same skills.

Team 2:

McGee/Wagner
Lebron/Kuzma
Butler/Bullock
Ingram/Hart
Ball/Garland

These aren't our only choices.

There is no reason we couldn't have kept D'Lo and Randle and still had room for Lebron and also still have some cap-room to get another high-level FA (not max, but still 15m).

Lebron was not coming meeting with Mitch and Jim lol
Come on atleast give Magic some credit. Players around the league respect him. Good salesman.

Second, with Deng and Mozgov's massive deals, it would have been difficult to get under the cap.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 5:05 am    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
Another day, another tour of the Lakers amateur hour leadership. So glad Magic is gone, and none of this is really new, but some serious self reflection needs to take place at the top of the org.

I hear you. The thing hat has me bummed is wondering about Jeanie. What actions has she taken that suggest she cares about this, or about the Lakers frankly? Those who have met her say she cares deeply for the team, but from the outside looking in she appears to make decisions more in line with her own interests over those of the team’s. That has been the case for years, starting with Jim, wanting Phil in the front office, down to now where the executive committee starts and ends with people she feels like her.

Look many here have said it, including me, but the solution is simple; you hire
the best President of Basketball and GM on the market. You make sure that you
share their vision and let them take you to the promised land. Those people aren't
hard to find if a serious process if followed.
The idea of hiring friends and family will take down the road were on.

I know Jeanie will not follow this but it would be the right thing to do for the
business. Seems her comfort zone is tied to having known persons around her
but it's a rookie mistake that could lead to her and the Buss family exiting basketball
before they ruin the franchise and actually start to loose significant money (which
they are loosing some anyway given the noise and not being in the PO's).

Nice to be a back seat commentator, LOL...
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 5:11 am    Post subject:

What would be the ideal FO to have? The Rockets are often held in high regard, but they all of a sudden look like a team stuck with an aging CP3 and more concerned about winning the stat sheet than an actual championship.

Meanwhile, for all our turmoil, I'm more comfortable with our options going forward.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 5:22 am    Post subject:

Wait until we have a good draft and then sign a top notch free agent...all this ridiculous noise will stop and we can focus on basketball.
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 5:26 am    Post subject:

This is just ESPN selling airtime.

The reality for the Lakers is much more promising than media portrayals

1) Despite what they say, while our young guys still have to grow and can be inconsistent, for me there is little doubt they are at the very least a solid group of players who would be in the rotation on any NBA team, except maybe Mo.

2) LeBron still put his near career average last year, even though he was on a new team, even though the FO did not add players to better compliment him, even though he got injured, even though the team had key injuries to players who get heavy minutes. There is no reason to believe he won't play like a top level player next year.

3) We have the 4th pick. If we keep it we have a chance to add another young player with potential on a cost friendly contract.

4) Remains to be seen how things go with the Vogel and Kidd combo, but I'm going to be optimistic going in. Vogel didn't do great in the rebuild in Orlando record-wise, but when he's had a team with reasonable talent like in Indy, he did a solid job. Kidd as a coach, I'm not sure I love it, we'll see, but Kidd as an every day mentor to Lonzo? Love that.

5) We have money to spend.

Lakers need to keep it simple:

1) Nail the draft
2) Nail FA (one of the top 5 guys in FA)

There is no reason they shouldn't be able to do the above. If they do that, even without significant trades, I definitely see that team having a chance to get to the finals.

I hope they block out the noise, focus, come together and give everyone the bird by pulling it off
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 5:31 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:

If you take out the word “only,” I can agree with this. Every front office has occasional issues and makes mistakes. However, we have an awful lot of issues right now. Let’s not pretend that this is commonplace.
JamaalWilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 5:51 am    Post subject:

Devastating portrayal of organizational incompetence.

This team is f’d for years to come, unless Rob is fired and Jeannie steps away then hands over the reigns to respected GM.

Given the chaos and cultural toxicity, we need to clear thr decks.
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 6:02 am    Post subject:

av3773 wrote:
This is just ESPN selling airtime.

The reality for the Lakers is much more promising than media portrayals

1) Despite what they say, while our young guys still have to grow and can be inconsistent, for me there is little doubt they are at the very least a solid group of players who would be in the rotation on any NBA team, except maybe Mo.

2) LeBron still put his near career average last year, even though he was on a new team, even though the FO did not add players to better compliment him, even though he got injured, even though the team had key injuries to players who get heavy minutes. There is no reason to believe he won't play like a top level player next year.

3) We have the 4th pick. If we keep it we have a chance to add another young player with potential on a cost friendly contract.

4) Remains to be seen how things go with the Vogel and Kidd combo, but I'm going to be optimistic going in. Vogel didn't do great in the rebuild in Orlando record-wise, but when he's had a team with reasonable talent like in Indy, he did a solid job. Kidd as a coach, I'm not sure I love it, we'll see, but Kidd as an every day mentor to Lonzo? Love that.

5) We have money to spend.

Lakers need to keep it simple:

1) Nail the draft
2) Nail FA (one of the top 5 guys in FA)

There is no reason they shouldn't be able to do the above. If they do that, even without significant trades, I definitely see that team having a chance to get to the finals.

I hope they block out the noise, focus, come together and give everyone the bird by pulling it off

Amen!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 6:17 am    Post subject:

Lakers have an incompetent organization.

Lakers may kill this offseason, be a Finals contender next season.

Both can be true.

One can be easily fixed.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 6:30 am    Post subject:

Ok, we got LeBron, we got max FA space and tradable assets, I mean we got future all stars (BI/Ball), good role players/6th man (Kuzma/Hart), #4 pick and couple German prospects

Man, this feels like a finals exam is coming up this summer, pass or fail
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 8:15 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Both can be true.

One can be easily fixed.

We did, past tense. It appears the worst (Magic) is behind us. We have an upgraded coach, our same scouting dept, upgraded training staff and a fresh start. We'll see what type of improvements we can make now that the primary source of dysfunction is gone.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 8:20 am    Post subject:

Adam Silver: We have tremendous confidence in Jeanie. Sure, when things start to go wrong, a lot of fingers get pointed and people like to pile on. LeBron, one of the best players in history, is still with their franchise, that is an incredible starting point to build off.

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 8:30 am    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Both can be true.

One can be easily fixed.

We did, past tense. It appears the worst (Magic) is behind us. We have an upgraded coach, our same scouting dept, upgraded training staff and a fresh start. We'll see what type of improvements we can make now that the primary source of dysfunction is gone.

Disagree. Just b/c you got rid of some deadweight doesn't mean we are now a competent organization. We botched our coaching search, it's come to light that the Rambii are this team's Rasputin. Rob is inexplicably still here while talented GM options were out there. We still have no POBO to oversee everything.

And yet I think we luck into a max FA just like we lucked into a 4th pick.

But make no mistake, it's luck.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 8:58 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Both can be true.

One can be easily fixed.

Agree. But the whole MAY kill the offseason versus WILL kill the offseason is what bugs me. We could have pretty much guaranteed killing it had Jeanie not only looked down the hallway for help. Jerry West was briefly available. Reports were everywhere that every FO exec would consider the LA job regardless of where they currently were. Griffin was sitting right there available.

We got lucky we got #4 but so far every move, or lack there of, has hurt our chances this summer to get a top FA.

All that said, I still feel like we will get someone. Between Kawhi, Kyrie and Butler, I do feel like one of them will be had and then the whole AD thing is out there.... we'll see how it shakes out but everything is more or less on the table still. What's worth stating though, is that if Jeanie had seized control and made the right moves for a proper NBA FO, none of this crap would be out there- or none of it would matter anymore.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 9:21 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

Quote:

But it isn’t happening to those organizations. It isn’t happening to the Clippers, or the Kings. Things have been in a downward spiral since Jeanie Buss was put in charge of the organization. Deflect all you want, but this has gone from one of the top run organizations in the league to one of the worst. And that isn’t even factoring in the play on the floor.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 9:32 am    Post subject:

Adam Silver going on TV and defending Jeannie seems weird. Even weirder was him confirming that Rich Paul story about Walton. Why?
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 9:34 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Quote:
What about the reports of Rich Paul on charter planes? Kurt and Pelinka sitting in on coaches/players meetings? Those things were highlighted as very unusual if not outright forbidden on other teams.

I thought The Heat had to deal with a lot more from Lebron and his business associates? Weren't there stories of wanting to spend extra nights in cities for them to party or make money hosting parties and asking them to travel with the team?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10
Jump to: