Magic Johnson to speak on ESPN's NBA Finals Special
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 9:01 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:

You're welcome aboard the Madrid train, there's plenty of space.

It's going to be a fun-filled, drama-packed off-season of transfer rumors/sagas, signings and presentations too... especially after the "debacle" of last season. How nuts is that though, eh? 4 CLs in 5 years, followed by 1 down year where they rebuild for the future after Cristiano's departure... yet it became a debacle that has lead to 3 coaching changes, and everyone calling for everyone's heads, lol. There ain't no silly season like a Spanish football silly season.

Last edited by LAL1947 on Wed May 29, 2019 9:46 am; edited 1 time in total
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 9:06 am    Post subject:

LAL1947 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

Come join me on board the Madrid train, there's plenty of space.

It's going to be a fun-filled, drama-packed off-season of transfer rumors/sagas, signings and presentations too... especially after the "debacle" of last season. How nuts is that though, eh? 4 CLs in 5 years, followed by 1 down year where they rebuild for the future after Cristiano's departure... yet it became a debacle that has lead to 3 coaching changes, and everyone calling for everyone's heads, lol. There ain't no silly season like a Spanish football silly season.

No dunking? no 3 point shot ? a lot more flopping---ehhh; pass

deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 9:08 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
The God Particle wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
The God Particle wrote:
lakez34 wrote:
Shouldn't have joined considering he knew the terms of agreement, and/or should have privately resolevd the matter if it was that bothersome. Doing so publicly, and then complaining about being in the news, is his own doing and something for which he is completely responsible. I have zero interest in him trying to be a victim in all of this, though I'm not sure what his real end game is at this point.

To create as much turmoil and upheaval and angle his way into part ownership of the Lakers after the board "forces" a sale because of all this turmoil.

He said so himself...

You really believe this??

You guys really go overboard in here at times..

You don't for a second believe that if the Lakers trust decided to "force" a sale of the Lakers, that Magic Johnson and "associates" wouldn't be the first in line?

Have you not heard the words that have come out of Magic's mouth? Have you also not heard what Magics mouth piece (Preaching A Smith) has been saying for the last week?

I really believe Magic’s plan was to purchase the Lakers with Klutch. I’m sure he sold Rich Paul and Lebron on this.

The parties are just waiting for Jeanie to crack. AEG, Klutch, etc.

Magic will be in on this. It’s something he definitely has his eyes on...

Don’t forget Kobe

Who doesn't love a good conspiracy theory ?

LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 9:09 am    Post subject:

deal wrote:

There's no space on the train for you!

I kid.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 10:09 am    Post subject:

Jalen Rose killing Magic Johnson on national TV, his mentor!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 10:17 am    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
Jalen Rose killing Magic Johnson on national TV, his idol!

I think Jalen has been quite fair over this saga, TBH. Shannon, Skip and Whitlock too. This whole Magic episode is really separating the good commentators from the talking heads and/or back-scratching stooges.

Jalen Rose: Magic is doing a ‘really good job’ of working the media -

Skip & Shannon reacts: Magic Johnson - I've never abused an employee -

Btw, just a random observation... but I think Magic is getting some unnecessary flak because of this article... especially with that stuff about employee turnover and people having anxiety and panic attacks... lolwut. He was hired to help change things up... and that's what he tried to do. We're always saying the Lakers are run like a mom'n'pop shop... so if he let go off or got mad at mom'n'pop shop-type employees for doing mom'n'pop shop-types of things...

Also, I'm mildly annoyed that Magic didn't bring up Kobe when Doc Rivers was trying to cosy up to Kawhi by saying he's the closest thing we've seen to MJ. If Magic had donned his recruiting cap, he could and should have countered that with a, "Kawhi is the closest thing we've seen to Kobe... and he'd look just as great in a Lakers uniform!".
SpunkieLakerCat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 10:35 am    Post subject:

LAL1947 wrote:
trablos wrote:
For better or for worse, Jeanie isn't selling the Lakers in the next 10 lifetimes. Besides, what is Magic supposed to do about AEG's right to first refusal?

Well, does AEG want the responsibility of managing a basketball team? Not sure if they do. I'm thinking they probably wouldn't care if the Buss family was replaced by a consortium of buyers... as long as they could stick to their current percentage of ownership and not take on additional responsibility of management.

AEG owns several sports teams, I'm sure they would love the Lakers

Coach Wooden
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 10:35 am    Post subject:

LAL1947 wrote:
deal wrote:

There's no space on the train for you!

I kid.

Man we gotta get a laugh in because with everything that
goes on, it's madness
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 10:37 am    Post subject:

LAL1947 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

I'm a Premier League Manchester United fan... (which has been terrible because their bad six year spell has coincided with the Lakers)... but thanks anyway... lol
JamezAmp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 10:48 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
LAL1947 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

I'm a Premier League Manchester United fan... (which has been terrible because their bad six year spell has coincided with the Lakers)... but thanks anyway... lol

AC Milan here. Same (bleep) (bleep) lol
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 11:22 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:

I think you're in for a longer dry spell there than here.

deal wrote:
goes on, it's madness

Yeah
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 11:44 am    Post subject:

LAL1947 wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
Jalen Rose killing Magic Johnson on national TV, his idol!

I think Jalen has been quite fair over this saga, TBH. Shannon, Skip and Whitlock too. This whole Magic episode is really separating the good commentators from the talking heads and/or back-scratching stooges.

Jalen Rose: Magic is doing a ‘really good job’ of working the media -

Skip & Shannon reacts: Magic Johnson - I've never abused an employee -

Btw, just a random observation... but I think Magic is getting some unnecessary flak because of this article... especially with that stuff about employee turnover and people having anxiety and panic attacks... lolwut. He was hired to help change things up... and that's what he tried to do. We're always saying the Lakers are run like a mom'n'pop shop... so if he let go off or got mad at mom'n'pop shop-type employees for doing mom'n'pop shop-types of things...

Also, I'm mildly annoyed that Magic didn't bring up Kobe when Doc Rivers was trying to cosy up to Kawhi by saying he's the closest thing we've seen to MJ. If Magic had donned his recruiting cap, he could and should have countered that with a, "Kawhi is the closest thing we've seen to Kobe... and he'd look just as great in a Lakers uniform!".

Best assessment in all of that was Jalen's on the corrupt, manipulated media (cough, cough, SAS and Wilbon) he works with: "If the Lakers win a championship Magic will get all the credit, if they don't Rob Pelinka will get the blame."
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 11:45 am    Post subject:

LAL1947 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

I think you're in for a longer dry spell there than here.

deal wrote:
goes on, it's madness

Yeah

I was one of the few that wanted to keep Jose. (Or sign Zizou when he was still available)

We are screwed for years to come I fear.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 11:52 am    Post subject:

JamezAmp wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
LAL1947 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

AC Milan here. Same (bleep) (bleep) lol

Yeah Milan's been bad since Zlatan left...

We haven't been the same since he hurt his knee and went to the US.
dontbreakmyballz
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 12:23 pm    Post subject:

My take away after the last month is that Magic wasn't even close to being the right guy for the job. Not saying Rob is either but Magic had no business being a basketball executive in any way whatsoever. To complain about not being allowed to hire your own people after accepting the job with those terms is chick (bleep). Magic the player is where his basketball career should have ended permanently.
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 1:37 pm    Post subject:

So... Doc Rivers not going to get fined for saying Kawhi Leonard is the best player now calling him Michael Jordan on SportsCenter, right next to Magic of all people who got fined for saying Giannis is a good player who would bring a championship to Milwaukee?

#TamperingOnlyIfYouWorkForTheLakers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 1:41 pm    Post subject:

pmacla wrote:
Magic said he had to fire people, #1 sign of a bad executive/manager, if you have to fire someone for anything other than them not showing up to work or stealing, that is a failure on you as a manager by not putting that person in a place to succeed. Magic is obviously that old school type manager where if things arent going the way he thinks it should he yells and screams and blames people. Rather than understand teh business know all the facts and find solutions he takes the bully approach and justyells and fires people great job Magic, glad he is gone

This is a great point and I was going to mention that. I literally laughed out loud when Magic said he had to fire people sometimes. A minute before he had been carrying on about how he's never seen an HR office, that he's the nice guy manager who brings everybody together, that all these claims were false. Then in the next breath he's saying "of course I had to fire people."

Why in the heck would the PRESIDENT of basketball be firing people? How many of you have ever been fired by the president of a large corporation you were working for? And since I assume he wasn't in his office, and he's just said he never talks to HR, he must mean he's just firing people on the spot, during meetings or if somebody brings him the wrong kind of donut or whatever.

You could see he got that characteristic Magic "ooops did I just tell the truth?" look on his face right then, and then he powers on saying "ok now that's it we've all said everything we need to about this time to talk about Kawahi and KD" like he imagines he just solved all his PR problems. Magic is actually similar to Trump in some ways, it's kind of fascinating to watch. At this point I would like Stephen A to keep putting him on the air, this is gripping like the Charlie Sheen interviews were at their best. And I feel like Magic will escalate from here too. There could also be tapes and other evidence that could leak from the Lakers to TMZ which would spice this up even more.

Stephen A is hard to read... I actually think he kind of despises Magic at some level, but either uses him cynically for his star power, understands what the espn corporate play here is, or is just letting Magic destroy himself and picking up the ratings. Or all of the above. Or is a knicks fan hoping the Lakers self destruct. It just seems so unlikely that SAS is a true Magic lover who is irate at how Magic's being "lied on." I suppose it's possible but it seems more like SAS is just snowing Magic here, handing him more rope. It's crucial to realize here that Stephen A is about 3x smarter than Magic and can be very crafty.
Sssmush
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 1:50 pm    Post subject:

I also like the way Jeannie is playing this so far. She has actually won me over, and I was a big Jim Buss fan, perhaps the only one is Los Angeles actually.

But yeah Jeannie is doing this right, similar to how Pelosi is handling Trump. Both Magic and Trump are surrounded by top notch advisors but are hampered by their own impulsiveness and lack of patience and thus have problems executing strategies. So Jeannie or Pelosi can just sit back and let them keep talking and seem crazier and crazier.

The play for Jeannie here is just to project positivity and class and let Lebron and Pelinka rebuild the team.
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 1:52 pm    Post subject:

Jordan-esque wrote:
So... Doc Rivers not going to get fined for saying Kawhi Leonard is the best player now calling him Michael Jordan on SportsCenter, right next to Magic of all people who got fined for saying Giannis is a good player who would bring a championship to Milwaukee?

Dang, good catch. I didn't even think about that being so focussed on whether Magic would insert his foot into his mouth again.
Sssmush
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 7:07 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
After all of this bullsh*t if Magic bought the Lakers, I'd root for the Clippers.

actually I think Magic should be worried about getting fired from the Guggenheim / Dodgers ownership at this point. He is really biting the hand, and I know he thinks he's being cute on ESPN with his purple tie and purple socks talking to Stephen A Smith, but what he's doing is extremely taboo. You just don't full on turn on an organization like Magic is doing, much less one that treated him well and didn't fire him, and especially not a landmark sports franchise that is so integral to LA and the entire NBA.

I'm very interested to see the next chapters of this.
Sssmush
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 7:09 pm    Post subject:

Like if he could trash the Buss family like this he could trash the Guggenheim group too. Think about that. Would you hire Magic to lead a division of your company?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 7:12 pm    Post subject:

Sssmush wrote:
I also like the way Jeannie is playing this so far. She has actually won me over, and I was a big Jim Buss fan, perhaps the only one is Los Angeles actually.

But yeah Jeannie is doing this right, similar to how Pelosi is handling Trump. Both Magic and Trump are surrounded by top notch advisors but are hampered by their own impulsiveness and lack of patience and thus have problems executing strategies. So Jeannie or Pelosi can just sit back and let them keep talking and seem crazier and crazier.

The play for Jeannie here is just to project positivity and class and let Lebron and Pelinka rebuild the team.

Only she isn’t projecting anything. Magic is still blood on her hands.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 1:46 am    Post subject:

Jordan-esque wrote:

Such double-standard BS from the league.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 10:57 am    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:

Who filed a complaint?
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 1:29 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:

Who filed a complaint?

Would be nice if you texted Mitch and got him to file one. Be a team player.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8
Jump to: