BREAKING NEWS Another mass shooting
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:02 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
At the same time, sometimes we just have to accept that the only person at fault in some situations is the person committing the crime.

This.

And this is a scary thing for people/society to accept. Because it means that we as a society can't do anything if we accept this. So, we have a need to always make the problem out to be about society instead of just the individual person at fault.

If it's a societal problem, then we feel we can fix/address it. If it's just an individual problem, we feel we can't do anything about that. So, it's really about trying to have control as a society.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:50 pm    Post subject:

Obligatory no way to prevent this, says only nation where this regularly happen.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:03 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
The "mass shooting" issue is serious, but it is not the biggest part of gun violence.

Highlighting this. I can't believe some people think it's okay there are more guns than people in this country. And those same people just shrug away the devastation.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:35 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
adkindo wrote:
At the same time, sometimes we just have to accept that the only person at fault in some situations is the person committing the crime.

This.

And this is a scary thing for people/society to accept. Because it means that we as a society can't do anything if we accept this. So, we have a need to always make the problem out to be about society instead of just the individual person at fault.

If it's a societal problem, then we feel we can fix/address it. If it's just an individual problem, we feel we can't do anything about that. So, it's really about trying to have control as a society.

Would you side cultural with societal and lump it with the person committing the deed?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:47 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
The "mass shooting" issue is serious, but it is not the biggest part of gun violence.

Highlighting this. I can't believe some people think it's okay there are more guns than people in this country. And those same people just shrug away the devastation.

it is an arbitrary fact that has no meaning or relevance to the discussion when followed the % of firearms actually used in criminal activity (>1%?). I have more than one firearm....I have never used one in a criminal activity, therefore why does it matter that my home has more firearms than residents?
JamezAmp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:48 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

Those same people also love talking about ‘life’ when it comes to a woman’s choice. When a workplace or school gets shot up and innocent people lose their lives, then these cretins only care about their guns. Sickening, appalling hypocrites.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:55 pm    Post subject:

JamezAmp wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

Those same people also love talking about ‘life’ when it comes to a woman’s choice. When a workplace or school gets shot up and innocent people lose their lives, then these cretins only care about their guns. Sickening, appalling hypocrites.

but you have it all figured out, right? All of your beliefs should be universally held, then all of the worlds problems would go away, right? Calling people "cretins" and "hypocrites" because they have different values, beliefs, opinions, and truths than the ones you claim is the exact type of ignorant drivel that prevents any type of legitimate discussion about divisive issues....which I would guess is your goal....to keep it at the surface, because the talking points do not go very far beyond that point.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:01 pm    Post subject:

beyond the discussion of "gun control", there is more to this specific story than we currently know. Some things are just not adding up. First we are told the shooter was recently terminated.....then we were told he was still employed in good standing....now we are told he recently resigned, but there is no reason listed on his termination of employment paperwork. Then guy goes on a shooting spree indiscriminately killing people. Somebody knows more of the story.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:01 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

it is an arbitrary fact that has no meaning or relevance to the discussion when followed the % of firearms actually used in criminal activity (>1%?). I have more than one firearm....I have never used one in a criminal activity, therefore why does it matter that my home has more firearms than residents?

Criminal activity isn't the whole picture. It isn't why 60 people kill themselves with guns everyday in our country (on average). Or accidental deaths. Including toddlers shooting their parents and kids accidentally shooting their friends or themselves.

I appreciate your perspective. But this outweighs it by a large margin:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41488081

There are too many guns in our country, too many people with access to them, and too many unnecessary victims of gun violence. And there's no rationalizing away the devastation.

But I appreciate the fact that you personally are a responsible gun owner. If the country was made of only adkindo's. Maybe the problem wouldn't be this bad.

Last edited by kikanga on Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:57 am; edited 1 time in total
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:20 am    Post subject:

Hammett wrote:
As far as mental illness, I blame work. Work takes up so much of our lives. Keeps us away from our families. We have gotten used to judging people by their job, how much money they make. To quote a famous book: "you are not your job."

Sometimes you meet great people and form good relationships but think also how easy it is for people to grow apart from their husband/wife and get emotionally attached to someone they spend 8 hours a day with.

I really wish there were more ways to work from home. New jobs like this would be great for commute, pollution, stress, family time, etc.

If by "work" you mean how so many people these days have to work way more than 40 hours a week to make ends meet, and both parents often have to work full time, you're probably right to a certain extent.

Think of what that does to kids. Their parents aren't around much, and when they are around, they're either tired, stressed out or just burned out because people can't handle working past a certain number of hours. If your parents are not just physically but emotionally absent, it can have a terrible effect on you.

I think plenty of so-called mental illnesses are caused by life events and stressors. If they aren't treated, they can turn into "real" mental illnesses.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:17 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
JamezAmp wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

but you have it all figured out, right? All of your beliefs should be universally held, then all of the worlds problems would go away, right? Calling people "cretins" and "hypocrites" because they have different values, beliefs, opinions, and truths than the ones you claim is the exact type of ignorant drivel that prevents any type of legitimate discussion about divisive issues....which I would guess is your goal....to keep it at the surface, because the talking points do not go very far beyond that point.

You do realize that the "pro-life" anti-abortion folk say exactly that . . . right?

I'm not sure you know what the word "hypocrite" means.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:05 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
adkindo wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

Criminal activity isn't the whole picture. It isn't why 60 people kill themselves with guns everyday in our country (on average). Or accidental deaths. Including toddlers shooting their parents and kids accidentally shooting their friends or themselves.

I appreciate your perspective. But this outweighs it by a large margin:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41488081

There are too many guns in our country, too many people with access to them, and too many unnecessary victims of gun violence. And there's no rationalizing away the devastation.

But I appreciate the fact that you personally are a responsible gun owner. If the country was made of only adkindo's. Maybe the problem wouldn't be this bad.

And as we get every time something like this happens, no potential solutions.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:23 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
And as we get every time something like this happens, no potential solutions.

I'd put it a different way. Trying to stop specific incidents of mass shootings (a sliver of total gun deaths in our country) before they occur is like trying to treat a symptom instead of the disease.
There are solutions to the gun violence epidemic in America (the disease). They just aren't politically popular.
But I'm sure all the thoughts, prayers, condolences, shoulder shrugs, and "what can we do's" are more than enough recompense to the victims and their families.
JamezAmp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:32 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
JamezAmp wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

Spare me the faux outrage. If you fall into these categories, that's your fault not mine. I will call it out every time.

We can have all the conversations we want about guns and the ridiculous rate of people dying via gun in this country. You know where these conversations go to die? Congress. You know why? Because half of the gutless rubes in congress are in the pocket of the sorry ass NRA. I don't vote for those ignorant losers. I'm guessing you do. Go back to shining your stupid gun collection.
JamezAmp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:33 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
JamezAmp wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

Double
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:23 am    Post subject:

Supreme Dictator

I remove all the guns ALL of them

Will you all be nice to each other and treat each other in ways that don't make each other FEAR one another?

Thich Nhat Hanh a wonderful Vietnamese Buddhist who Martin Luther King Jr. nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize for his "Engaged Buddhism" and nonviolence

During the Vietnam War as a young Monk knew Expecting those who needed to be heard could not make the walk to his Monastery so he went into the all villages and brought as much peace as he could.

Do we have people like this in America who could find ways to counsel in a non judgemental way any who could use it? ORRRRRRRRR Is that reserved ONLY for people who can afford it

We need to change what it means to be American and our views on Humanity.

Guns need to go but the violence and separation in the mind needs addressed ASAP also
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: