Jerry West to receive Presidential Medal of Freedom
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:57 am    Post subject:

LAL1947 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
LAL1947 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
Can we just discuss West, an NBA and Lakers legend, instead of having political discussions that there is a specific thread for?

Yeah because forum decorum is more important than the issues at hand.

they don't want to talk about the choices they've made

No they've bought what he said as the gospel.

They are in the Matrix and don't want anyone to wake them up from their skewed worldview.

The man won't release his taxes... yet is telling the truth about the economy.

There are unprecedented tornadoes and hurricanes but it can't be global warming.

But as long as they remain securely sleeping in their delusions

Everything is okay.

You're worried about a man's taxes (which he has every right to withhold), tornadoes and hurricanes that have been happening regularly throughout the history of the world... while others are more worried about taxation, de-regulation, trade, manufacturing, jobs, wages, immigration, not letting the elites (wall street, big biz, big tech, big pharma, giant global manufacturers, etc) completely control the US economy because that would be detrimental to the individual and the family... and they're the ones who are sleeping in their delusions?

Arthur Laffer's trickle down bullsh*t has been disproven not only by economists but by the fact that 3 people hold more wealth than over 160 million Americans.

Laffer... another recipient of Trump's honor.

Spreading that "knowledge"... lol

It's a good thing I like you as a person/your online personality because your political points are BS.

First... what has that got to do with the points I made about taxation, de-regulation, trade and manufacturing? Nothing.

Second and more importantly because this is what I initially replied to (a person insinuating that Black Americans should be opposed to Trump)... what has his taxes and global warming got to do with creating more jobs for, increasing wages for, and putting more money in the hands of Black and Hispanic Americans? Nothing. The President who is proving to benefit minority communities in America the most is Trump. If that changes, we can discuss what needs to be done then (I'd be completely open to that because for me it's about positive results, not about the leader and not about words/feelings/good intentions alone)... but for now, his way is working and delivering results to people. Isn't that all that should count?

So if someone sticks an unwanted finger in your butt, but gives you money, then it's okay? He has treated minorities like garbage.

Even if your economic narrative was true and not manufactured, some principles are more important than money.

As we speak, I'm getting out of the market because this stuff is all going to implode in the near future.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:58 am    Post subject:

I'm guess I'm "woke" for not being down with playing footsie with nazis and klansmen.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:59 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
adkindo wrote:
This thread is just another example of how absolutely miserable some people must be that they are unable to recognize the honor of a great Laker without giving their two cents about issues beyond West and his life. It is clear some of the people that consider themselves the most "woke" actually reside in the most insulated bubbles where reality is whatever they claim it to be.

We all give our opinions about sports, politics, religion, etc. in appropriate and sometimes inappropriate places. I am by no means innocent of keeping "x" out of the conversation when it does not belong 100% of the time. Still, we at least have to be aware that our personal feelings and diatribes about current events do not belong in every conversation. Just have some respect for others that do not share your opinions....at least once in a while.

Thread probably needs locked, or maybe just moved....the conversation is not about Jerry West.

Thread never belonged in the Lounge in the first place. Same goes for Luke, DLO, Randle, Pat Riley, and Vlade Divac threads. West isn't a Laker. He has actively worked against our interests for over a decade now.

Using terminology that comes from a bubble while lecturing about the dangers of bubbles isn't a very convincing argument. Lecturing about the condescending nature of "wokeness" while be condescending isn't a very convincing argument.

I'm not going to the political side of the argument since it seems like you guys have ruined the topic of this thread. Jerry West's statue is outside of Staples Center. His jersey number is retired. He is damn well a Laker, whether you like it or not.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:00 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
I'm guess I'm "woke" for not being down with playing footsie with nazis and klansmen.

A person can take the moral high ground. Or they can support the President. I draw the line when they try to do both.
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:00 am    Post subject:

VicXLakers wrote:
LAL1947 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
LAL1947 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
Can we just discuss West, an NBA and Lakers legend, instead of having political discussions that there is a specific thread for?

They are in the Matrix and don't want anyone to wake them up from their skewed worldview.

There are unprecedented tornadoes and hurricanes but it can't be global warming.

Everything is okay.

You're worried about a man's taxes (which he has every right to withhold), tornadoes and hurricanes that have been happening regularly throughout the history of the world... while others are more worried about taxation, de-regulation, trade, manufacturing, jobs, wages, immigration, not letting the elites (wall street, big biz, big tech, big pharma, giant global manufacturers, etc) completely control the US economy because that would be detrimental to the individual and the family... and they're the ones who are sleeping in their delusions?

Arthur Laffer's trickle down bullsh*t has been disproven not only by economists but by the fact that 3 people hold more wealth than over 160 million Americans.

It's a good thing I like you as a person/your online personality because your political points are BS.

First... what has that got to do with the points I made about taxation, de-regulation, trade and manufacturing? Nothing.

Second and more importantly because this is what I initially replied to (a person insinuating that Black Americans should be opposed to Trump)... what has his taxes and global warming got to do with creating more jobs, increasing wages and putting more money in the hands of Black and Hispanic Americans? Nothing. The President who is proving to benefit minority communities in America the most is Trump. If that changes, we can debate what needs to be done then... but for now, his way is working and delivering results to people. Isn't that all that should count?

let's talk Republican corruption ...here's today's latest

A ‘Bridge’ to China, and Her Family’s Business, in the Trump Cabinet
Elaine Chao has boosted the profile of her family’s shipping company, which benefits from industrial policies in China that are roiling the Trump administration.

Quote:
Ms. Chao’s office had made a series of unorthodox requests related to her first scheduled visit to China as a Trump cabinet member, according to people with knowledge of the email. Among them: asking federal officials to help coordinate travel arrangements for at least one family member and include relatives in meetings with government officials.

In China, the Chaos are no ordinary family. They run an American shipping company with deep ties to the economic and political elite in China, where most of the company’s business is centered. The trip was abruptly canceled by Ms. Chao after the ethics question was referred to officials in the State and Transportation Departments and, separately, after The New York Times and others made inquiries about her itinerary and companions.

You dodged my question expertly btw, don't think I didn't notice that...

Anyway, if there is truth to there being corruption... this article doesn't say anything at all really, in terms of providing info that I would consider enough to make a personal decision for myself.... let the media bring out the full truth (as they are supposed to) and I would hope that this Ms Chao will be be removed from her position. Having come from the "third world", where corrupt politicians loot the majority of the population (you won't even begin to understand how bad the problem is until you live there as an ordinary citizen), I literally cannot stand corruption in public offices.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:01 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
adkindo wrote:
This thread is just another example of how absolutely miserable some people must be that they are unable to recognize the honor of a great Laker without giving their two cents about issues beyond West and his life. It is clear some of the people that consider themselves the most "woke" actually reside in the most insulated bubbles where reality is whatever they claim it to be.

We all give our opinions about sports, politics, religion, etc. in appropriate and sometimes inappropriate places. I am by no means innocent of keeping "x" out of the conversation when it does not belong 100% of the time. Still, we at least have to be aware that our personal feelings and diatribes about current events do not belong in every conversation. Just have some respect for others that do not share your opinions....at least once in a while.

Thread probably needs locked, or maybe just moved....the conversation is not about Jerry West.

Thread never belonged in the Lounge in the first place. Same goes for Luke, DLO, Randle, Pat Riley, and Vlade Divac threads. West isn't a Laker. He has actively worked against our interests for over a decade now.

Possibly but one could argue his receiving this award primarily due to his accomplishments as a Laker.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:05 am    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Possibly but one could argue his receiving this award primarily due to his accomplishments as a Laker.

Did Vlade get a new thread in the Lounge when he was hired by SAC? "One could argue his receiving that job primarily due to his accomplishments as a Laker".

This thread belongs in Off Topic or General Basketball Discussion.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:06 am    Post subject:

This forum never has more than ten to fifteen active threads... it can easily afford to put all the threads on one page.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:07 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Did Vlade get a new thread in the Lounge when he was hired by SAC? "One could argue his receiving that job primarily due to his accomplishments as a Laker".

That’s a new job on a different team not an award for a persons accomplishments. Apples to Oranges.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:10 am    Post subject:

LAL1947 wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
LAL1947 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
LAL1947 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:

Everything is okay.

Second and more importantly because this is what I initially replied to (a person insinuating that Black Americans should be opposed to Trump)... what has his taxes and global warming got to do with creating more jobs, increasing wages and putting more money in the hands of Black and Hispanic Americans? Nothing. The President who is proving to benefit minority communities in America the most is Trump. If that changes, we can debate what needs to be done then... but for now, his way is working and delivering results to people. Isn't that all that should count?

let's talk Republican corruption ...here's today's latest

A ‘Bridge’ to China, and Her Family’s Business, in the Trump Cabinet
Elaine Chao has boosted the profile of her family’s shipping company, which benefits from industrial policies in China that are roiling the Trump administration.

Quote:
Ms. Chao’s office had made a series of unorthodox requests related to her first scheduled visit to China as a Trump cabinet member, according to people with knowledge of the email. Among them: asking federal officials to help coordinate travel arrangements for at least one family member and include relatives in meetings with government officials.

In China, the Chaos are no ordinary family. They run an American shipping company with deep ties to the economic and political elite in China, where most of the company’s business is centered. The trip was abruptly canceled by Ms. Chao after the ethics question was referred to officials in the State and Transportation Departments and, separately, after The New York Times and others made inquiries about her itinerary and companions.

You dodged my question expertly btw, don't think I didn't notice that...

Anyway, if there is truth to there being corruption... this article doesn't say anything at all really, in terms of providing info that I would consider enough to make a personal decision for myself.... let the media bring out the full truth (as they are supposed to) and I would hope that this Ms Chao will be be removed from her position. Having come from the "third world", where corrupt politicians loot the majority of the population (you won't even begin to understand how bad the problem is until you live there as an ordinary citizen), I literally cannot stand corruption in public offices.

I don't argue with Russian bots* I ignore them

* how do you know if you are a Russian bot? If trump does NO wrong and is always right your a Russian bot whether you are getting paid or not
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:10 am    Post subject:

Quote:
10 times LeBron James stood up to Donald Trump

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/08/10-times-lebron-james-stood-up-to-donald-trump

I could make 10 threads about LBJ standing up to Trump. And they'd all be more appropriate in the Lounge than this one. Because LBJ is ACTUALLY A LAKER.
But I won't because I don't want to plunge the Lounge into chaos with non basketball related convos.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:11 am    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
kikanga wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
kikanga wrote:

That’s a new job on a different team not an award for a persons accomplishments. Apples to Oranges.

So the line is awards vs. jobs? Why is that the line besides you saying so right now?
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Quote:
10 times LeBron James stood up to Donald Trump

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/08/10-times-lebron-james-stood-up-to-donald-trump

I could make 10 threads about LBJ standing up to Trump. And they'd all be more appropriate in the Lounge than this one. Because LBJ is ACTUALLY A LAKER.
But I won't because I don't want to plunge the Lounge into chaos with non basketball related convos.

I think 1 thread about the 10 incidents would be more efficient but yes it’s lounge worthy.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:15 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
kikanga wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
kikanga wrote:

So the line is awards vs. jobs? Why is that the line besides you saying so right now?

Because you can directly attribute his accomplishments as a LAKER to his award. Vogel, for instance, didn’t get the job because of what he did with the Magic. If you don’t understand my simple point this exchange can end.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:21 am    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
kikanga wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
kikanga wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Because you can directly attribute his accomplishments as a LAKER to his award. Vogel, for instance, didn’t get the job because of what he did with the Magic. If you don’t understand my simple point this exchange can end.

Are you saying you can't directly attribute Vlade's accomplishments as a Laker to him getting the Kings job. What about Luke when he got hired by the Kings? What about Riley when he got hired by the Heat?

I think you just made an arbitrary line to suit your argument. I understand what you're saying. I just don't see the validity in what you're saying.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:29 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
kikanga wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
kikanga wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Are you saying you can't directly attribute Vlade's accomplishments as a Laker to him getting the Kings job. What about Luke when he got hired by the Kings? What about Riley when he got hired by the Heat?

I think you just made an arbitrary line to suit your argument. I understand what you're saying. I just don't see the validity in what you're saying.

That’s fine. We can agree to disagree.
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:31 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:

Nazis, klansmen, supremacists of any kind/race are a scourge on society and need to be eradicated. What you don't realize is that if more minorities chose to support the political party whose economic policies worked best for them (and other citizens)... then that small group of nazis and klansmen would have to go elsewhere based on their beliefs and inability to align themselves with minorities. You could take out two birds with one stone... get the better policies and get rid of those scum in one swoop. Or conversely, by supporting the party with the better policies, you would force the opposing party to adopt better economic policies too. Either way, the common man wins if we don't allow identity politics to get in the way.

There are politicians who use identity politics for their own financial benefit, Maxine Waters is the best example I can give you off the top of my head. Her district is one of the worst places in the whole country to live in... not because of the people but because of the corrupt leadership. Would you rather vote for someone who submits their voters to these living conditions... in America, in the year 2019?

I sure wouldn't. Contrast her words and expressed intentions with her actual results... big difference, right?

In searching for that video linked above, I also came across this humorous tweet, worth a look for the laugh: https://twitter.com/ArthurQ23441436/status/1014345197914873857

Btw, I hope you can tell I'm just trying to have an open, honest conversation. Not trying to force my view on you or be a jerk in anyway, if that's what it comes across like in text form.

Last edited by LAL1947 on Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:46 am; edited 1 time in total
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:42 am    Post subject:

LAL I would love to address your last post. But considering this is a Jerry West thread. Doesn't seem appropriate.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:44 am    Post subject:

LAL1947 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

Nazis, klansmen, supremacists of any kind/race are a scourge on society and need to be eradicated. What you don't realize is that if more minorities chose to support the political party whose economic policies worked best for them (and other citizens)... then that small group of nazis and klansmen would have to go elsewhere based on their beliefs and inability to align themselves with minorities. You could take out two birds with one stone... get the better policies and get rid of those scum in one swoop. Or conversely, by supporting the party with the better policies, you would force the opposing party to adopt better economic policies too. Either way, the common man wins if we don't allow identity politics to get in the way.

There are politicians who use identity politics for their own financial benefit, Maxine Waters is the best example I can give you off the top of my head. Her district is one of the worst places in the whole country to live in... not because of the people but because of the corrupt leadership. Would you rather vote for someone who submits their voters to these living conditions... in America, in the year 2019? I sure wouldn't. Contrast her words and expressed intentions with her actual results... big difference, right?

In searching for that video linked above, I also came across this humorous tweet, worth a look for the laugh: https://twitter.com/ArthurQ23441436/status/1014345197914873857

Btw, I hope you can tell I'm just trying to have an open, honest conversation. Not trying to force my view on you or be a jerk in anyway, if that's what it comes across like in text form.

Wait a minute, you don't think Trump sucking up to disgruntled white people and racists is "identity" or cultural politics? You linked to a clip from Fox News which has now 180'd on tariffs, deficits and economic protectionism and want to pretend like only one side is playing that game.

Last edited by greenfrog on Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:09 am; edited 1 time in total
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:09 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
LAL1947 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

There are politicians who use identity politics for their own financial benefit, Maxine Waters is the best example I can give you off the top of my head. Her district is one of the worst places in the whole country to live in... not because of the people but because of the corrupt leadership. Would you rather vote for someone who submits their voters to these living conditions... in America, in the year 2019? I sure wouldn't. Contrast her words and expressed intentions with her actual results... big difference, right?

Wait a minute, you don't think Trump sucking up to disgruntled white people and racists is "identity" or cultural politics?

I think Trump also used identity politics during his campaign, albeit to a lesser extent because he knew his economic message was stronger than his opponent's. I feel like both sides were willing to do/say whatever was necessary to get into power. There were some things he said that were "uncomfortable truths" and other things that were flat out unfair generalizations. Either way, the use of identity politics is distasteful IMO.

Last edited by LAL1947 on Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:16 am; edited 2 times in total
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:15 am    Post subject:

LAL1947 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
LAL1947 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

Wait a minute, you don't think Trump sucking up to disgruntled white people and racists is "identity" or cultural politics?

I think Trump also used identity politics during his campaign, to a lesser extent. There were some things he said that were "uncomfortable truths" and other things that were flat out unfair generalizations. Either way, the use of identity politics is distasteful IMO.

If you have another theory why truckers and farmers directly in the crosshairs of his trade policy still enthusiastically support him besides cultural reasons I'm all ears.
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:17 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
LAL1947 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
LAL1947 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

I think Trump also used identity politics during his campaign, to a lesser extent. There were some things he said that were "uncomfortable truths" and other things that were flat out unfair generalizations. Either way, the use of identity politics is distasteful IMO.

If you have another theory why truckers and farmers directly in the crosshairs of his trade policy still enthusiastically support him besides cultural reasons I'm all ears.

Seeing as I've answered your question, it would be polite of you to answer one of mine first?

Is there or is there not a huge contrast between what Maxine Waters says and the good intentions she professes to have for the black community... and the conditions in her district? If you in California, you have easy access to her district to verify the conditions for yourself too. Would you rather vote for someone who says they have your best interests in mind and is delivering NADA... or someone who is delivering jobs and better wages? Which would you rather have... the words or the results?

Last edited by LAL1947 on Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:19 am; edited 2 times in total
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:17 am    Post subject:

LAL1947 wrote:
Seeing as I've answered your question, will you answer mine? Is there or is there not a huge contrast between what Maxine Waters says and the good intentions she professes to have for the black community... and the conditions in her district? Would you rather vote for someone who says they have your best interests in mind... or someone who is delivering jobs and better wages? Which would you rather have... the words or the results?

What specific policies, rent control (I don't agree with it)? The entire state is engulfed in a housing crisis.
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:19 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
LAL1947 wrote:
Seeing as I've answered your question, will you answer mine? Is there or is there not a huge contrast between what Maxine Waters says and the good intentions she professes to have for the black community... and the conditions in her district? Would you rather vote for someone who says they have your best interests in mind... or someone who is delivering jobs and better wages? Which would you rather have... the words or the results?

What specific policies, rent control? The entire state is engulfed in a housing crisis.

No prizes for guessing why the state of California has such a crisis! Surely, the correlation between leadership, policies, and results will be made at some point.

"In a democracy, people get the leaders they deserve."
~ Joseph de Maistre

Oh well, I have to go, my non-bot duty (i.e., work) calls.

Hope we're parting on a good note. Cheers.

Last edited by LAL1947 on Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:33 am; edited 2 times in total
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:30 am    Post subject:

This has been a paid political announcement by the friends of Donald trump.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6
Jump to: