Jerry West to receive Presidential Medal of Freedom
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:09 am    Post subject:

Can we just discuss West, an NBA and Lakers legend, instead of having political discussions that there is a specific thread for?
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:12 am    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
Can we just discuss West, an NBA and Lakers legend, instead of having political discussions that there is a specific thread for?

Yeah because forum decorum is more important than the issues at hand.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:13 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:

they don't want to talk about the choices they've made
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:16 am    Post subject:

VicXLakers wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:

No they've bought what he said as the gospel.

They are in the Matrix and don't want anyone to wake them up from their skewed worldview.

The man won't release his taxes... yet is telling the truth about the economy.

There are unprecedented tornadoes and hurricanes but it can't be global warming.

But as long as they remain securely sleeping in their delusions

Everything is okay.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:16 am    Post subject:

I love Jerry West and if this award is meaningful to him and he can stomach receiving it from the issuer then I'm happy for him. Miss you, Jerry.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:17 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:

I think discussing those issues over internet text often creates more issues than it solves IMO. Regardless, we have a thread for that.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:19 am    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:

I think discussing those issues over internet text often creates more issues than it solves IMO. Regardless, we have a thread for that.

with the presenter being who it is it will always be political...trump only does things for a reason

lock this thread
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:20 am    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:

If you notice my first post on the thread, I was willing to let it lie.

Then three pages later... people are still talking about it so I felt the need to counter.

If they stay off the subject, so will I.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:20 am    Post subject:

4stargeneralbulldog wrote:
adkindo wrote:
This thread is just another example of how absolutely miserable some people must be that they are unable to recognize the honor of a great Laker without giving their two cents about issues beyond West and his life. It is clear some of the people that consider themselves the most "woke" actually reside in the most insulated bubbles where reality is whatever they claim it to be.

We all give our opinions about sports, politics, religion, etc. in appropriate and sometimes inappropriate places. I am by no means innocent of keeping "x" out of the conversation when it does not belong 100% of the time. Still, we at least have to be aware that our personal feelings and diatribes about current events do not belong in every conversation. Just have some respect for others that do not share your opinions....at least once in a while.

Thread probably needs locked, or maybe just moved....the conversation is not about Jerry West.

The poster Greenfrog was the 1st that had to inject politics into it, post number 2 on the 2nd page.

It was going quite well, until someone didn't respect the thread starter wishes.

I injected basic morality into the topic (an elephant in the room, in my opinion). The following posts are the ones focusing on political and policy minutiae.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:21 am    Post subject:

trump's the problem...lock it
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:23 am    Post subject:

It's telling those who don't want to talk about it.
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:29 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
What kind of American uses the word spanner?

A naturalized one. I'm currently in Asia on business but I'll be back in a couple of months if you'd like to meet for a beer and help progress my vernacular.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:32 am    Post subject:

LAL1947 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
What kind of American uses the word spanner?

A naturalized one. I'm currently in Asia on business but I'll be back in a couple of months if you'd like to meet for a beer and help progress my vernacular.

Well then all I can say, is that you are lucky you are one of the right kind of immigrants according to Trump.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:32 am    Post subject:

VicXLakers wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:

with the presenter being who it is it will always be political...trump only does things for a reason

lock this thread

That’s fine but the thread is about the recipient not the presenter or his motives.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:35 am    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:

lock this thread

That’s fine but the thread is about the recipient not the presenter or his motives.

You are aware the power of the statement had an 80 something Jerry West turned down the medal vs a young African American player.

I don't hate West for accepting it... but if I were Rob, I'd be pointing out to Kawhi how we are the organization who doesn't kiss Trump's ass.
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:35 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:

They are in the Matrix and don't want anyone to wake them up from their skewed worldview.

There are unprecedented tornadoes and hurricanes but it can't be global warming.

Everything is okay.

You're worried about a man's taxes (which he has every right to withhold), tornadoes and hurricanes that have been happening regularly throughout the history of the world... while others are more worried about taxation, de-regulation, trade, manufacturing, jobs, wages, immigration, not letting the elites (wall street, big biz, big tech, big pharma, giant global manufacturers, etc) completely control the US economy because that would be detrimental to the individual and the family... and they're the ones who are sleeping in their delusions?
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:38 am    Post subject:

LAL1947 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:

Everything is okay.

You're worried about a man's taxes (which he has every right to withhold), tornadoes and hurricanes that have been happening regularly throughout the history of the world... while others are more worried about taxation, de-regulation, trade, manufacturing, jobs, wages, immigration, not letting the elites (wall street, big biz, big tech, big pharma, giant global manufacturers, etc) completely control the US economy because that would be detrimental to the individual and the family... and they're the ones who are sleeping in their delusions?

Arthur Laffer's trickle down bullsh*t has been disproven not only by economists but by the fact that 3 people hold more wealth than over 160 million Americans.

Laffer... another recipient of Trump's honor.

Spreading that "knowledge"... lol
JamezAmp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:40 am    Post subject:

Donald Trump is a repulsive, disgusting fraud. Not to mention, your classic white collar criminal.

In before the lock

4stargeneralbulldog
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:40 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
adkindo wrote:
This thread is just another example of how absolutely miserable some people must be that they are unable to recognize the honor of a great Laker without giving their two cents about issues beyond West and his life. It is clear some of the people that consider themselves the most "woke" actually reside in the most insulated bubbles where reality is whatever they claim it to be.

We all give our opinions about sports, politics, religion, etc. in appropriate and sometimes inappropriate places. I am by no means innocent of keeping "x" out of the conversation when it does not belong 100% of the time. Still, we at least have to be aware that our personal feelings and diatribes about current events do not belong in every conversation. Just have some respect for others that do not share your opinions....at least once in a while.

Thread probably needs locked, or maybe just moved....the conversation is not about Jerry West.

The poster Greenfrog was the 1st that had to inject politics into it, post number 2 on the 2nd page.

It was going quite well, until someone didn't respect the thread starter wishes.

I injected basic morality into the topic (an elephant in the room, in my opinion). The following posts are the ones focusing on political and policy minutiae.

Spin it anyway you like, but the thread starter's wishes were not to inject politics into it or politicize the thread. You did.

This thread was about a man that started from humble beginnings that became a wildly successful story who went on to received a great honor, but instead it's now about politics. Great job.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:47 am    Post subject:

LAL1947 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:

Everything is okay.

the Russian bot rears his ugly head
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:50 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Spin it anyway you like, but the thread starter's wishes were not to inject politics into it or politicize the thread. You did.

This thread was about a man that started from humble beginnings that became a wildly successful story who went on to received a great honor, but instead it's now about politics. Great job.

The thread's starter didn't specify anything until the 9th post, which I didn't even see. Since no one from the NBA to my knowledge has ever visited the white house during this president's tenure I don't see how anyone could honestly interpret this news without thinking what I expressed.
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:50 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
LAL1947 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:

Everything is okay.

Arthur Laffer's trickle down bullsh*t has been disproven not only by economists but by the fact that 3 people hold more wealth than over 160 million Americans.

It's a good thing I like you as a person/your online personality because your political points are BS.

First... what has that got to do with the points I made about taxation, de-regulation, trade and manufacturing? Nothing.

Second and more importantly because this is what I initially replied to (a person insinuating that Black Americans should be opposed to Trump)... what has his taxes and global warming got to do with creating more jobs for, increasing wages for, and putting more money in the hands of Black and Hispanic Americans? Nothing. The President who is proving to benefit minority communities in America the most is Trump. If that changes, we can discuss what needs to be done then (I'd be completely open to that because for me it's about positive results, not about the leader and not about words/feelings/good intentions alone)... but for now, his way is working and delivering results to people. Isn't that all that should count?

Last edited by LAL1947 on Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:53 am; edited 2 times in total
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:52 am    Post subject:

LAL1947 wrote:
Second and more importantly because this is what I initially replied to (a person insinuating that Black Americans should be opposed to Trump)... what has his taxes and global warming got to do with creating more jobs, increasing wages and putting more money in the hands of Black and Hispanic Americans? Nothing. The President who is proving to benefit minority communities in America the most is Trump. If that changes, we can debate what needs to be done then... but for now, his way is working and delivering results to people. Isn't that all that should count?

I also went on to explain the reason being Charlottesville. There's this thing called the KKK...

Last edited by greenfrog on Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:54 am; edited 1 time in total
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:52 am    Post subject:

LAL1947 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
LAL1947 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:

Everything is okay.

It's a good thing I like you as a person/your online personality because your political points are BS.

First... what has that got to do with the points I made about taxation, de-regulation, trade and manufacturing? Nothing.

Second and more importantly because this is what I initially replied to (a person insinuating that Black Americans should be opposed to Trump)... what has his taxes and global warming got to do with creating more jobs, increasing wages and putting more money in the hands of Black and Hispanic Americans? Nothing. The President who is proving to benefit minority communities in America the most is Trump. If that changes, we can debate what needs to be done then... but for now, his way is working and delivering results to people. Isn't that all that should count?

let's talk Republican corruption ...here's today's latest

A ‘Bridge’ to China, and Her Family’s Business, in the Trump Cabinet
Elaine Chao has boosted the profile of her family’s shipping company, which benefits from industrial policies in China that are roiling the Trump administration.

Quote:
Ms. Chao’s office had made a series of unorthodox requests related to her first scheduled visit to China as a Trump cabinet member, according to people with knowledge of the email. Among them: asking federal officials to help coordinate travel arrangements for at least one family member and include relatives in meetings with government officials.

In China, the Chaos are no ordinary family. They run an American shipping company with deep ties to the economic and political elite in China, where most of the company’s business is centered. The trip was abruptly canceled by Ms. Chao after the ethics question was referred to officials in the State and Transportation Departments and, separately, after The New York Times and others made inquiries about her itinerary and companions.

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:55 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

Thread never belonged in the Lounge in the first place. Same goes for Luke, DLO, Randle, Pat Riley, and Vlade Divac threads. West isn't a Laker. He has actively worked against our interests for over a decade now.

Using terminology that comes from a bubble while lecturing about the dangers of bubbles isn't a very convincing argument. Lecturing about the condescending nature of "wokeness" while be condescending isn't a very convincing argument.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6
Jump to: