We Forget This Is Not LeBron's Team
Goto page 1, 2  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
BlackStarMamba
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 29 May 2018
Posts: 776

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject: We Forget This Is Not LeBron's Team

This whole effort to maximize his last year's is stupid. We don't owe LeBron anything.

He knew what he was getting into. If he wanted to win a chip so bad, he should have went to Houston, OKC, or Philly.

When Shaq,MJ went to other teams late in career, the teams weren't trading all young core to "maximize their finals years" for a championship.

You get better through free agency, unless you are a small market. I think the bulls should have kept Lavine, because now Jimmys gone.

Try to sign a good free agent and wait for AD next year. If he doesn't come oh well. There's a lot of players that will make our team better 2019 or 2020 free agency( Vucevic, Butler, Middleton, Klay) ..... (Milsap, Murray, buddy hield, porzingis, Andre Drummond)

No need to try to fast track.a championship. Boston had 3 years of glory with the big 3..to go back to mediocrity for years and had to acquire hella picks to get almost back there. Look at Miami stuck in no man's land. Houston is on that path now too.

The NBA is different now, teams are too heavy but have depth and youth. You are not winning with old Lebron, limpy AD, Uninspired Kyrie with a bunch of role players. Philly's coming, Mil has depth and youth, Toronto if they keep Kawhi has depth and youth, same with Portland, Denver, Boston if they get a better leader.

Long story short just sign 1 max free agent, keep the youth and get some shooters
_________________
2018-2019 Lakers 50+ wins; 2nd in West. WILL make WCF

2019 MVP
1. Giannis 2. Lebron 3. Who Cares
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 30 Aug 2005
Posts: 31310

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:10 pm    Post subject:

Exactly. We should never build around the best player on the team who happens to be top 5 player in the league.

Also, Shaq and MJ werent top 5 players in the league, which I believe Lebron is. The question becomes, will he be top 5 next year? I guess the hope is, depending on how one feels about AD, that he takes the mantle in 2 years. And a hope that the Lakers get a 2nd rounder in any AD trade and they hit on that pick for the future.
_________________
👊 Los Angeles Lakers 👊

For us anything short of a championship is not success.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
JamezAmp
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 25 Jun 2005
Posts: 1328
Location: Scottsdale, AZ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:19 pm    Post subject:

If by MJ, you mean Michael Jordan, Washington traded a young Rip Hamilton for an aging Jerry Stackhouse.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Posts: 12818

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:22 pm    Post subject:

House Klutch prob have power in Kings Landing (I'm guessing powerful)
House Magic is out
House Pelinka
House Rambii

who has KhaJeannie's ear
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
BlackStarMamba
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 29 May 2018
Posts: 776

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:31 pm    Post subject:

JamezAmp wrote:
If by MJ, you mean Michael Jordan, Washington traded a young Rip Hamilton for an aging Jerry Stackhouse.


it wasn't to win a championship. and if it was it didn't work, so don't emulate.
_________________
2018-2019 Lakers 50+ wins; 2nd in West. WILL make WCF

2019 MVP
1. Giannis 2. Lebron 3. Who Cares
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
JamezAmp
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 25 Jun 2005
Posts: 1328
Location: Scottsdale, AZ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:46 pm    Post subject:

BlackStarMamba wrote:
JamezAmp wrote:
If by MJ, you mean Michael Jordan, Washington traded a young Rip Hamilton for an aging Jerry Stackhouse.


it wasn't to win a championship. and if it was it didn't work, so don't emulate.


Yeah, your argument failed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
BlackStarMamba
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 29 May 2018
Posts: 776

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:51 pm    Post subject:

JamezAmp wrote:
BlackStarMamba wrote:
JamezAmp wrote:
If by MJ, you mean Michael Jordan, Washington traded a young Rip Hamilton for an aging Jerry Stackhouse.


it wasn't to win a championship. and if it was it didn't work, so don't emulate.


Yeah, your argument failed.


my argument was that the teams were not making moves to maximize the elite players years to win a championship (within a short window)

trading rip away wasn't to win a championship
_________________
2018-2019 Lakers 50+ wins; 2nd in West. WILL make WCF

2019 MVP
1. Giannis 2. Lebron 3. Who Cares
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 32577

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:55 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Exactly. We should never build around the best player on the team who happens to be top 5 player in the league.

Also, Shaq and MJ werent top 5 players in the league, which I believe Lebron is. The question becomes, will he be top 5 next year? I guess the hope is, depending on how one feels about AD, that he takes the mantle in 2 years. And a hope that the Lakers get a 2nd rounder in any AD trade and they hit on that pick for the future.


He's got 2 years at most, I know we have him for 3 years, but the last year is a player option.And I definitely wouldn't build around him as he is starting to decline and get injured.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 30 Aug 2005
Posts: 31310

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:02 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
epak wrote:
Exactly. We should never build around the best player on the team who happens to be top 5 player in the league.

Also, Shaq and MJ werent top 5 players in the league, which I believe Lebron is. The question becomes, will he be top 5 next year? I guess the hope is, depending on how one feels about AD, that he takes the mantle in 2 years. And a hope that the Lakers get a 2nd rounder in any AD trade and they hit on that pick for the future.


He's got 2 years at most, I know we have him for 3 years, but the last year is a player option.And I definitely wouldn't build around him as he is starting to decline and get injured.


Yep.
At that point it's gotta be the 3rd FA and AD who have to be the focal points.
_________________
👊 Los Angeles Lakers 👊

For us anything short of a championship is not success.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
youcantguardme
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 10 Jan 2011
Posts: 1003

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:05 pm    Post subject:

A team without multiple stars is never going to be a real contender. Any real stars are going to want input, however they choose to give it, in what the team does. They're stars. During showtime, Magic did it and to a certain extend Kareem. MJ did it in Chicago. Kobe had major input and you could argue that the last two rings were a direct result of his public fit and threat to leave.

I'm not saying the young core is not very talented, in fact BI and Kuzma have the potential to be fantastic role players on a championship team and Lonzo and Hart may also be in that category. The problem is that too many Lakers fans think the young core has a Curry or Dirk or Kawai or a KD and that is far from reality. The #4 is an unknown but the chance of getting a Kobe or LeBron is near zero. I agree you don't trade all four youngsters and the pick or picks for AD because you're left with little. If the Lakers want to contend in the LeBron years they have got to be flexible.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 26 Apr 2004
Posts: 11329

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:25 pm    Post subject:

its not about appeasing Lebron its about going all in if a championship opportunity presents itself. And Lebron is a Waaaaaay more clear championship window over gambling that our up and down and overall disappointing young core can some how lead us to a championship years down the line.
Also if our young core were as good as some claim they are we would have made the playoffs this year and wouldnt even need to be having these discussions.
_________________
(bleep) Kawhi
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Jun 2006
Posts: 28265

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: We Forget This Is Not LeBron's Team

BlackStarMamba wrote:
This whole effort to maximize his last year's is stupid. We don't owe LeBron anything.


The Lakers aren't doing this for Lebron's sake; they're doing it because they think that's what's best for the team. You can agree or disagree with that approach, of course, but nothing the Lakers have done is from some sense of obligation to Lebron.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
BlackStarMamba
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 29 May 2018
Posts: 776

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:37 pm    Post subject:

youcantguardme wrote:
A team without multiple stars is never going to be a real contender. Any real stars are going to want input, however they choose to give it, in what the team does. They're stars. During showtime, Magic did it and to a certain extend Kareem. MJ did it in Chicago. Kobe had major input and you could argue that the last two rings were a direct result of his public fit and threat to leave.

I'm not saying the young core is not very talented, in fact BI and Kuzma have the potential to be fantastic role players on a championship team and Lonzo and Hart may also be in that category. The problem is that too many Lakers fans think the young core has a Curry or Dirk or Kawai or a KD and that is far from reality. The #4 is an unknown but the chance of getting a Kobe or LeBron is near zero. I agree you don't trade all four youngsters and the pick or picks for AD because you're left with little. If the Lakers want to contend in the LeBron years they have got to be flexible.


i don't overvalue the players, but hindsight is 50/50 a lot when it comes to player evaluations.

The Warriors kept Draymond, Klay over getting Kevin Love. When they won their 1st championship in 2015 they came over a 1st round exit the year prior. I'm not saying our young guys are Curry, but you never know.

Steph Curry was a former #7 pick and wasn't heralded AT ALL during his 1st 3 years of his career. Did anyone see him becoming a legend, MVP during his first years?

Kawhi benefited from being on a great team, so he showed out during the finals and that's when he was recognized.

The only other champs that came into the league and were known as great players from the start in recent history were KD and Lebron. and KD did it on a stacked team.

Zo and BI are former #2 picks . BI entering his 4th year, Zo 3 years. Both when healthy play pretty well
_________________
2018-2019 Lakers 50+ wins; 2nd in West. WILL make WCF

2019 MVP
1. Giannis 2. Lebron 3. Who Cares
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
BlackStarMamba
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 29 May 2018
Posts: 776

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:45 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
its not about appeasing Lebron its about going all in if a championship opportunity presents itself. And Lebron is a Waaaaaay more clear championship window over gambling that our up and down and overall disappointing young core can some how lead us to a championship years down the line.
Also if our young core were as good as some claim they are we would have made the playoffs this year and wouldnt even need to be having these discussions.


You can make that argument. I would say that if they weren't good, the Lakers should have made the playoffs without them. BI missed 20+ games, Lonzo 30+ games. It took 48 wins to make playoffs in west this season.

The Lakers had a chance to make playoffs even when Ingram + Zo were out, with Lebron and didn't so I say they were valuable.
_________________
2018-2019 Lakers 50+ wins; 2nd in West. WILL make WCF

2019 MVP
1. Giannis 2. Lebron 3. Who Cares
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Beir32
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 16 Feb 2016
Posts: 1242
Location: Western PA

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:47 pm    Post subject:

We'll probably find out in the next few months who's team this really is.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Omar Little
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 84586
Location: Formerly Known As 24

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:52 pm    Post subject:

Pretty sure LBJ signed here for a reason, and the team wanted him to attract other free agents and to win. Unless the OP is saying the front office clearly informed LBJ that they were just signing him for name value?
_________________
I guess I just miss my friend.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ReaListik
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 08 Jun 2008
Posts: 5924

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:07 pm    Post subject:

LeBron still wants to win and I’m sure the Lakers told him they wanted to help him win titles otherwise he wouldn’t have signed here. Makes no sense that he wouldn’t want to win more titles and nothing he has done or continues to do has shown that he’s in Hollywood mode exclusively.
_________________
"We are the goodest." - Shaq ESPN interview
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 04 Jul 2014
Posts: 12978

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:08 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
its not about appeasing Lebron its about going all in if a championship opportunity presents itself. And Lebron is a Waaaaaay more clear championship window over gambling that our up and down and overall disappointing young core can some how lead us to a championship years down the line.
Also if our young core were as good as some claim they are we would have made the playoffs this year and wouldnt even need to be having these discussions.


LBJ has one maybe two years of max player quality left.

The kids combined over the next twelve years would provide a solid foundation for another star to thrive... it's possible even one of them can become a star by themselves. But I believe their floor would be a good solid group for one or two stars.

You ask why they didn't make the playoffs... you already know why.

They were betrayed by their hero and captain as well as injured.

It's disingenuous to say that they just weren't good enough.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
kikanga
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 15 Sep 2012
Posts: 20433
Location: La La Land

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:09 pm    Post subject:

You'd be hard pressed to find someone who talked more crap about pre-Lakers Bron than me. But if you don't try to win with an all-time great on your team. Your making a dumb decision. LBJs don't grow on trees. Even if he is past his prime.
_________________
Turn your losses into lessons. - Mike "The Situation"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 04 Jul 2014
Posts: 12978

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:17 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
You'd be hard pressed to find someone who talked more crap about pre-Lakers Bron than me. But if you don't try to win with an all-time great on your team. Your making a dumb decision. LBJs don't grow on trees. Even if he is past his prime.


Isn't that what Magic said... suck it up and be professional?

Maybe that works with people born in the sixties and seventies.

Maybe not so good with post millennials
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 14 Jul 2001
Posts: 11034

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: We Forget This Is Not LeBron's Team

BlackStarMamba wrote:
This whole effort to maximize his last year's is stupid. We don't owe LeBron anything.

He knew what he was getting into. If he wanted to win a chip so bad, he should have went to Houston, OKC, or Philly.


Ummm, the Lakers signed him because they want to win again so bad. Why would you sign him and then decide that you're ok with losing still? If the Lakers wanted to continue losing so badly, why didn't they tell him no thanks, we don't need your services?

Seriously, what team goes out of their way to sign a top talent in the league and then intentionally constructs a roster that doesn't maximize said talent in an effort to continue losing? That makes no sense. I mean, yes, that is exactly what they did last year, but the intent wasn't to lose more, it was simply a misguided attempt to maximize said talent. Likewise, this offseason they will try to maximize Lebron's skill set (hopefully in an appropriate manner).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LeBronte Jest
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 24 Nov 2010
Posts: 1188

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:34 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
You'd be hard pressed to find someone who talked more crap about pre-Lakers Bron than me. But if you don't try to win with an all-time great on your team. Your making a dumb decision. LBJs don't grow on trees. Even if he is past his prime.



Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Posts: 12818

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:35 am    Post subject:

This is still a LeBron team whether we like it or not. The LeBron team saw the pushback early in the signing (king of LA graffiti was a good ex) so they’re a lot more ‘quiet’ at doing things but LeBron and his team no doubt can push their weight around in the org
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
€H£M£$TR¥
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 03 Apr 2017
Posts: 3376

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:39 am    Post subject:

You may get some snarky remarks, but I completely agree. If you’re the best player in the world, you make any team the best team. Done with super teams. The aftermath of a superteam is a depleted franchise that takes years to recover from. Build something sustainable. Gambling is for losers.
_________________
🥛 🍪
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LandsbergerRules
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 29 Aug 2004
Posts: 9214
Location: The Other Perspective

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:28 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
You'd be hard pressed to find someone who talked more crap about pre-Lakers Bron than me. But if you don't try to win with an all-time great on your team. Your making a dumb decision. LBJs don't grow on trees. Even if he is past his prime.

_________________
"Chick lived and breathed Lakers basketball…but he was also fair and objective and called every game the way it was played."
-from Chick: His Unpublished Memoirs and the Memories of Those Who Knew Him
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB