Former baseball player David Ortiz shot in the Dominican Republic

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:17 pm    Post subject: Former baseball player David Ortiz shot in the Dominican Republic

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/09/americas/mlb-david-ortiz-shot-dominican-republic/index.html

Quote:
Baseball star David Ortiz shot in the Dominican Republic

David Ortiz
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic (CNN)Former Boston Red Sox star David Ortiz was shot in the Dominican Republic on Sunday, according to Felix Durán Mejia, spokesman for the Dominican National Police.

Durán Mejia confirmed to CNN that Ortiz was shot in the back in "an incident that took place at Dial Discotheque in Santo Domingo."
Ortiz's condition is unknown.
Ortiz was born in Santo Domingo and made his Major League Baseball debut in 1997, according to MLB's website.
He played 20 seasons before retiring in 2016, MLB states. His first six seasons he played with the Minnesota Twins, and he played the remainder of his career with Boston Red Sox.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:39 pm    Post subject:

There's video of the attack. What a scary scene. A dude just comes up from behind him and shoots him.

He went in for surgery and apparently he's being listed in stable condition, and supposedly his brother said he thinks he's going to be OK.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:42 pm    Post subject:

He's out of surgery now and expected to make a full recovery which is good news if so.

Apparently I'm hearing Ortiz wasn't the target but the rapper he was with....
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:13 pm    Post subject:

And it could have been worse:

He could have been staying at the Resort where all those people died at..

Last edited by unleasHell on Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:34 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Marly Rivera Verified account @MarlyRiveraESPN

According to Leo López, who works as David Ortiz’s assistant and press representative, his last surgery ended at 3:30am and he’ll remain in intensive care for the next 24 hours. López said doctors had to remove Ortiz’s gallbladder and control bleeding from his liver and bowel.

Quote:
antasyFredy @fantasyfredy20

Big Papi Update: Journalist Leo López @DeporteLeoLopez, assistant to David Ortiz in press and business affairs at ESPN Digital: "Ortiz had to get removed part of his intestines and colon too. His gallbladder was removed and his liver was also damaged." #BigPapi #translation
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:18 am    Post subject:

Damn. Whats going on over there lately?
LakesGnrLake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:33 am    Post subject:

I get homesickness but it's just not smart for any professional athlete to go back to the DR. Stories of families being taken for ransom and other horrible things that happen once they find out someone has a bit of cash. Thankfully he's gonna be ok. Looks like the shooter got some street justice too.
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:22 pm    Post subject:

LakesGnrLake wrote:
I get homesickness but it's just not smart for any professional athlete to go back to the DR. Stories of families being taken for ransom and other horrible things that happen once they find out someone has a bit of cash. Thankfully he's gonna be ok. Looks like the shooter got some street justice too.

Did they even find the shooter. It was the getaway driver that got street justice.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:49 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Pretty much everywhere you go in the world, nightclub shootings are a thing. Generally, even in countries without a lot of gun violence, when there is a shooting, more times than not it occurs near a night club.

Around the world

Man Shot in head outside Boston Night club

Quote:
A drive-by shooting outside a popular Melbourne nightclub in Australia early Sunday left one man dead, another critically wounded and two others injured, police said.

Police said shots were fired from a car into a crowd standing outside the two-story Love Machine club, hitting three security guards at the nightclub and one patron.

Australia Nightclub shooting

Now getting shot at school, shopping malls, at work, etc. That tends to happen primarily in abnormally violent countries.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
PartyMan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:13 pm    Post subject:

Best wishes Big Papi

Sort of obscure, but my best memory of him was the HR he hit in 04 to make the Yankees series 3-1. No one expected what came next, but that started it.

Did I see that video right? I only saw it once quickly on tv, looked like he was shot right in the back from only a few yards away in a crowded bar or restaurant? The media crowding the ambulance I guess when he was being flown to Boston was sick.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:01 am    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Pretty much everywhere you go in the world, nightclub shootings are a thing. Generally, even in countries without a lot of gun violence, when there is a shooting, more times than not it occurs near a night club.

Around the world

Quote:
A drive-by shooting outside a popular Melbourne nightclub in Australia early Sunday left one man dead, another critically wounded and two others injured, police said.

Police said shots were fired from a car into a crowd standing outside the two-story Love Machine club, hitting three security guards at the nightclub and one patron.

Now getting shot at school, shopping malls, at work, etc. That tends to happen primarily in abnormally violent countries.

Ringfinger, you talking about American tourists being poisoned in DR? rumor is pesticide in drinks but the medical examiner so far said all the deaths are natural causes
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:33 pm    Post subject:

Hit job?
https://sports.yahoo.com/chilling-new-details-emerge-in-the-attempted-murder-of-david-ortiz-210530476.html
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:58 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Hit job?
https://sports.yahoo.com/chilling-new-details-emerge-in-the-attempted-murder-of-david-ortiz-210530476.html

This was my instant reaction when I saw the video.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:20 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
Hit job?

Yep. That was clearly no robbery attempt. You're not going to shoot somebody in a crowded bar and think you're going to have time to lift their wallet and get out of there afterward.

It's going to be interesting to see if we ever find out why the hit was called.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:45 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
Hit job?

Yep. That was clearly no robbery attempt. You're not going to shoot somebody in a crowded bar and think you're going to have time to lift their wallet and get out of there afterward.

It's going to be interesting to see if we ever find out why the hit was called.

Its always one of two things a woman or money...
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:29 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Around the world

Quote:

Ringfinger, you talking about American tourists being poisoned in DR? rumor is pesticide in drinks but the medical examiner so far said all the deaths are natural causes

Yeah that’s what I was referring to.

It’s like 3 people I think from the same hotel. Natural causes seems super unlikely as they were all fairly young i thought.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:49 pm    Post subject:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27011227/ortiz-shooting-case-mistaken-identity

Quote:
DR AG: Ortiz shooting case of mistaken identity

SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic -- The Dominican Republic's lead prosecutor said Wednesday that former Boston Red Sox slugger David Ortiz was not the target of a shooting in a nightclub in his hometown.

Attorney General Jean Alain Rodríguez told reporters the target was another man, dressed similarly to Ortiz, who was seated with the retired baseball star on the night of the June 9 shooting in the capital of Santo Domingo.

Rodríguez said the shooting was orchestrated by a member of Mexico's Gulf Cartel who remains on the run. He did not immediately describe a motive.

Ortiz remains hospitalized from the gunshot wound to his back. Doctors in Boston have upgraded his condition from guarded to good.

At the time of the attack, Ortiz was with TV personality Jhoel López and the apparent target, a man named David Fernandez, at Dial Bar and Lounge, which once served as a casual hangout for people getting their cars cleaned across the street. Ortiz was sitting with his back to the street when he was shot once in the back by a bullet that also injured López.

The shooting was carried out by two men on a motorcycle who were followed by several suspects in two cars, authorities said.

Eleven suspects have been arrested, including the alleged shooter identified as Rolfy Ferreyra, aka Sandy, a skinny, tattooed 25-year-old whom U.S. prosecutors said is wanted on armed robbery and gun charges in New Jersey.

Rodríguez said the shooting was orchestrated by a man named Victor Hugo Gomez, whom he described as a member or associate of the Gulf Cartel, one of Mexico's major drug-trafficking organizations. Officials did not say why Gomez would have targeted Fernandez.

Gomez was believed to be in the United States and was being sought by the Drug Enforcement Administration, said Maj. Gen. Ney Aldrin Bautista Almonte, director of the Dominican Republic's national police.

The weapon used in the shooting, a Browning Hi Power semi-automatic pistol, was buried in the garden of one of the suspect's home and was later turned over to police by his mother, according to court documents obtained by The Associated Press.

The other suspects include Joel Rodríguez de la Cruz, aka Squiddy; Reynaldo Rodríguez Valenzuela, aka The Chinaman; Franklin Junior Merán, aka Rubirosa; Porfirio Ayendy Dechamps Vásquez, aka Kid; and Eddy Vladimir Feliz García, aka The Package, who was identified as the alleged motorcycle driver.

Authorities said García was captured and beaten by angry fans after he skidded and fell off his bike as the pair tried to flee. García's attorney has said his client is an Ortiz fan and had no idea his passenger was going to commit a crime.

Another suspect was identified as Oliver Moisés Mirabal Acosta, aka Papi, whose father accused him of being involved in a gang of hit men and low-level drug dealers. He is accused of driving one of the cars used to stalk Ortiz before he was shot.

Also accused is Gabriel Alexander Pérez Vizcaíno, aka Bone, whom authorities said was hired by someone who is in prison on unrelated charges to be the liaison between the hit men and the person who paid them. Authorities said Pérez shared a picture of the target as he met the other suspects at a nearby gas station just minutes before the shooting, although they have not specified who was depicted in the picture.

They said Pérez then sold the cell phone used to plan the attack and to distribute a picture of the target to a woman for $180 so he could get rid of the evidence a day after the shooting.

Police are still looking for at least three other suspects: a woman known as The Venezuelan or Red; Luis Alfredo Rivas Clase, aka The Surgeon, who is wanted for a 2018 shooting in Reading, Pennsylvania, and is believed to driving the other vehicle used to stalk Ortiz; and Alberto Miguel Rodríguez Mota, whom authorities believe paid the hit men. Authorities have said the coordinator of attack was offered 400,000 Dominican pesos, or about $7,800.

Wednesday's announcement came as Ortiz recovers at Massachusetts General Hospital. Doctors in the Dominican Republic removed his gallbladder and part of his intestine before he was wheeled into an air ambulance sent by the Red Sox and flown to Boston.

Ortiz led the Red Sox to three World Series championships, was a 10-time All Star and hit 541 home runs. The Red Sox retired his number, 34, in 2017, and he has a bridge and a stretch of road outside Fenway Park named after him. He has a home in Weston, on the outskirts of Boston, that he shared with his wife and three children before putting it up for sale.

Although he lives in Boston, the 43-year-old visits the Dominican Republic several times a year. His father and sister live in Santo Domingo.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:57 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
governator wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Around the world

Quote:

Yeah that’s what I was referring to.

It’s like 3 people I think from the same hotel. Natural causes seems super unlikely as they were all fairly young i thought.

I have not followed that story....but I think one of the shows on Fox News has been following it because I see the headlines on their website....and it appears people from the US and Europe are coming out of the woodwork with stories about getting ill in suspicious manners staying at DR resorts.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:02 pm    Post subject:

The whole mistaken identity thing is crazy....a higher up in a Mexican Drug Cartel puts a hit out on a man who he thinks snitched on him, and the hit squad accidentally almost takes out a beloved national sports hero? I guess, but it kind of feels like shooting at the presidential motorcade, then claiming you were trying to take out a low low level Secret Service Agent over a poker debt in Arizona.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:42 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
The whole mistaken identity thing is crazy....a higher up in a Mexican Drug Cartel puts a hit out on a man who he thinks snitched on him, and the hit squad accidentally almost takes out a beloved national sports hero? I guess, but it kind of feels like shooting at the presidential motorcade, then claiming you were trying to take out a low low level Secret Service Agent over a poker debt in Arizona.

It was a completely amateurish "hit". I think a quite likely explanation is exactly that. Some mid-level cartel guy gets jealous and since he doesn't really have any pull he has to hire street thugs to do the job and they (bleep) it up and get very unlucky in the process.

That said, it's also equally likely that the police in a place like the DR are covering up for someone who actually did mean to target Ortiz.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:34 pm    Post subject:

now...just imagine he was white
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:29 pm    Post subject:

I see what you did there
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27075347/police-arrest-mastermind-ortiz-shooting

Quote:
Police arrest 'mastermind' in Ortiz shooting

SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic -- Authorities in the Dominican Republic say they have arrested the mastermind behind the shooting of baseball great David Ortiz earlier this month in an apparent case of mistaken identity.

Police said Friday that Victor Hugo Gomez was detained in the Caribbean country. No further details were immediately released.

Authorities had said last week that they believed Gomez was living in the U.S.

He is accused of ordering the killing of his cousin, Sixto David Fernandez. Authorities say hit men confused Ortiz with Fernandez during the June 9 shooting at a bar in the capital of Santo Domingo. The two men are friends and were sharing a table.

Ortiz was flown to Boston and remains hospitalized there after doctors in the Dominican Republic removed his gallbladder and part of his intestine.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: