I'm looking for anyone who doesn't want to trade Zo, Hart, Kuz, and BI.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:42 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Now that KD is out next season, I have more faith in LBJ and Davis being a championship tandem. Health permitting. Still prefer a big 3. But with KD out that tandem went from 0% chance of making it out of the west to a less than 50% chance. An improvement, but I'm not betting the house on it.

Don’t share your optimism. Have you been watching the playoffs?

Some really good “teams” have lost. Two deep, talented “teams” with great communication and chemistry are putting on a show in the Finals.

You really see the Lakers building a “team” that instantly develops that level of competitive standard in a season? Two? Optimistic!
Fallout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:43 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
Lakesh0wtime wrote:
I’m so baffled at why Kuzma is the untouchable lmao

The FO is about Mamba Mentality rather than reality.

cause he much cheaper

Yep, BI contract coming up = big pay day.
Kuz still under cheap contract for few years.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:45 am    Post subject:

Quote:

Odds Shark
@OddsShark

What team will Anthony Davis be on for the first game of the 2019-2020 NBA season?

Lakers -300
Any other team +200

Looking like a done deal.
Hopefully not the farm...
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:03 am    Post subject:

At this point we couldn't do much worse than we have the past few years so yeah, go ahead and pull the trigger on AD with Zo, BI, Kuz, and #4. Once we have AD locked down the FA market will open up and we can add a max guy. Today's NBA requires a 3-headed monster to compete for a chip. This is probably the only way that's going to happen for the Lakers next season.
Sina
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:28 am    Post subject:

I don’t want to trade away our youngsters.

But if it’s AD, I hope we could keep either Ingram or Ball.

AD+James+Ingram/Ball+depth could be great.
Mege
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:29 am    Post subject:

Walk away from the table.

Ingram put up 18.3/5.1/3 last season and really started clicking before the end of his season. He'll be putting up Bradley Beal numbers next year while being a 2-way player.

Lonzo has 2 unique skills in the ability to raise the level of players around him while being a stellar defender at the point.

Kuzma put up nearly 18.7/5.5/2.5 in his second season.

If you look at the LeBron's past championship teams, you'll find those squads had only one player besides LeBron averaging 19.6 ppg or better (Kyrie 19.6/3/4.7, Wade 21.2/5/5.1, Wade 22.1/4.8/4.6). We already have that in place. The 3rd leading scorers on those squads averaged between 16 and 18 ppg. We also already have that in place. And we still have space to add a max or near max player via free agency.
Killakobe81
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:30 am    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
No one except Giannis is worth giving up ALL of our assets for. I'd only do the trade if we can keep one of BI or Zo. Every things else can be thrown into the trade.

I agree ...but Celts are forcing us to up our offer.
maybe we could keep Zosince probably has the least value to Nola but if they want both ... then we need to hold on to additional assets.
4th pick, BI, Zo Wagner should be more than enough ...

if we keep Kuz and hart ill take that we need role players and offer no future firsts.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:35 am    Post subject:

Jack's Room wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:
Jack's Room wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
Oh right, it'd be Zion + Zo + BI + Garland or Culver. Damn.

Warriors 2.0 says hi.

Holy hot take. Steph and Klay are two of the best shooters ever and that was true before KD joined the team. Besides Garland, it would be a miracle for the above group to collectively shoot over 75% from the line or anything resembling league above average from three-point range. That team would be incredibly easy to defend by stopping transition opportunities and packing the paint. I like our young players too, but this is getting out of hand.

It wasn't a direct comparison in terms of skill, more like having a young core that can potentially win multiple championships.

Do you think it's possible in the current NBA to compete for championships shooting poorly from the line and beyond the arc? You'd really have to bank on some of those guys improving by leaps and bounds.
I don't know why some details get lost in translation but:

1) Josh Hart went from a nearly 40% 3 pt shooter to an over rated bum, only because he never openly complained about his constant knee pain. Why shouldn't he be expected to do at least close to that or better when his knees recover this year?

2) Kuzma was lighting up the league and playing the role of Lebron's Robin until he abruptly forgot how to score during the Houston game where he was on his way to 50+. There was little media reference to it, and he never publicly used injury as an excuse, but he wasn't the same shooter or scorer the rest of the way.

3) Lonzo's additional strength training will enable him to comfortably shoot from distance. Fewer airballs, more accuracy. It makes a huge difference (I've done it).

4) BI ..... he's done well in small sample sizes, and now he has to have the confidence to do it with no conscience.

5) #4 is picked to be a shooter.

Lebron, AD, plus B rated high priced f/a and/or filler winning a ring next year is a fleeting fantasy.

These guys, plus #4, WITH Lebron and AD in 2020 are competing for and probably winning a ring immediately and their success is sustainable, even with Lebron's decline.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:00 am    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
Jack's Room wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:
Jack's Room wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:
Don Draper wrote:

Warriors 2.0 says hi.

Holy hot take. Steph and Klay are two of the best shooters ever and that was true before KD joined the team. Besides Garland, it would be a miracle for the above group to collectively shoot over 75% from the line or anything resembling league above average from three-point range. That team would be incredibly easy to defend by stopping transition opportunities and packing the paint. I like our young players too, but this is getting out of hand.

It wasn't a direct comparison in terms of skill, more like having a young core that can potentially win multiple championships.

Do you think it's possible in the current NBA to compete for championships shooting poorly from the line and beyond the arc? You'd really have to bank on some of those guys improving by leaps and bounds.

1) Josh Hart went from a nearly 40% 3 pt shooter to an over rated bum, only because he never openly complained about his constant knee pain. Why shouldn't he be expected to do at least close to that or better when his knees recover this year?

2) Kuzma was lighting up the league and playing the role of Lebron's Robin until he abruptly forgot how to score during the Houston game where he was on his way to 50+. There was little media reference to it, and he never publicly used injury as an excuse, but he wasn't the same shooter or scorer the rest of the way.

3) Lonzo's additional strength training will enable him to comfortably shoot from distance. Fewer airballs, more accuracy. It makes a huge difference (I've done it).

4) BI ..... he's done well in small sample sizes, and now he has to have the confidence to do it with no conscience.

Lebron, AD, plus B rated high priced f/a and/or filler winning a ring next year is a fleeting fantasy.

These guys, plus #4, WITH Lebron and AD in 2020 are competing for and probably winning a ring immediately and their success is sustainable, even with Lebron's decline.

That might be our only option if: Kawhi stays in Toronto, Butler stays in Philly, Kyrie goes to Brooklyn, KD opts-in, and AD gets traded elsewhere.

In this scenario we'd really have no choice but to punt and make a run at KD or AD next summer. We'd have to trade Ingram to make the cap space. I guess that's better than the entire farm, but we waste another year of Lebron.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:04 am    Post subject:

They will be good if they stay healthy.

The problem is young players can't stay healthy in this league.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:10 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
Jack's Room wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:
Jack's Room wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:
Don Draper wrote:

Warriors 2.0 says hi.

That might be our only option if: Kawhi stays in Toronto, Butler stays in Philly, Kyrie goes to Brooklyn, KD opts-in, and AD gets traded elsewhere.

In this scenario we'd really have no choice but to punt and make a run at KD or AD next summer. We'd have to trade Ingram to make the cap space. I guess that's better than the entire farm, but we waste another year of Lebron.

If wasting a year means not winning a ring, so be it. They're not going to win next year by depleting the team. If they wait 1 year, they will be competitive with AD for the foreseeable future.
Jack's Room
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:22 am    Post subject:

3baller wrote:
Jack's Room wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
Jack's Room wrote:

Why are you lumping me in with everyone else? I've never flat out said "Ingram is a bad shooter." I'm always specific about my critiques and have even done so in this thread. Free throw and three-point shooting are my concerns with many current (Zo, Ingram) or potential (Culver) Lakers. I've been fairly consistent with that when evaluating prospects. It's one of the reasons I'm a fan of Garland and even taken some criticism for believing in Bol Bol's potential as a shooter.

My apologies if that is so.

But you pointed out how I cherry picked eFG%... look through the FA and Ingram thread and tell me how many times people say our kids can't shoot... they will never be all stars... they are all overrated.

Lonzo Ball's eFG% last season?

48.8%

Better than Kobe Bryant's career average from the field at 48.2%

Mindblowing... but true.

That comparison shows why eFG% is deficient as a metric in telling the full story of a shooter. I think we'd agree that no one outside of Lavar Ball thinks Lonzo is a better shooter than Kobe. But if you look at TS%, Lonzo's numbers last year would outrank only 2 of 20 seasons by Kobe, both post-achilles tear when he was 36 and 37 years old respectively. Not great.

No. If anything, eFG% is the best representation of field goal efficiency as it counts 3pt shots as 1.5x FGM since it counts as 1.5x points than a normal shot. It's not even an advanced stat. Just a better way of calculating Fg%.

EFG% is only deficient if you compare players efg% across different eras.
Until the year that Kobe retired, the league average eFG% was only 50%. That means he was playing most of his career on league average eFG% since his stats tanked during the post achilles years.

Ball on the other hand btw has career eFG% of 46.1 and not 48.8. League average in today's NBA is 52.1%. That means he is shooting at way below average.

But but 46% is close to 48.8, that means Lonzo is as much a shooter as Kobe!

Nope. It only means that Zo has better shot selection. Zo shoots 80% of his attempts near the rim or beyond the arc. Kobe in comparison only shot 49% of his total attempts at the rim or from deep.

Kobe shot 51% of his attempts in the mid range which is now widely known as the least efficient shot in basketball. Why do you think Derozan is falling off the map and why Melo became extinct?

eFG% is better than FG% but it's worse than TS%. It's not even an argument to be had any longer. It was settled years ago in analytics circles. It's like arguing that batting average tells a better picture of a hitter than OPS. There is literally no reason to choose a stat which takes less data points into account.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:28 am    Post subject:

Jack's Room wrote:
3baller wrote:
Jack's Room wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
Jack's Room wrote:

Why are you lumping me in with everyone else? I've never flat out said "Ingram is a bad shooter." I'm always specific about my critiques and have even done so in this thread. Free throw and three-point shooting are my concerns with many current (Zo, Ingram) or potential (Culver) Lakers. I've been fairly consistent with that when evaluating prospects. It's one of the reasons I'm a fan of Garland and even taken some criticism for believing in Bol Bol's potential as a shooter.

But you pointed out how I cherry picked eFG%... look through the FA and Ingram thread and tell me how many times people say our kids can't shoot... they will never be all stars... they are all overrated.

48.8%

Mindblowing... but true.

That comparison shows why eFG% is deficient as a metric in telling the full story of a shooter. I think we'd agree that no one outside of Lavar Ball thinks Lonzo is a better shooter than Kobe. But if you look at TS%, Lonzo's numbers last year would outrank only 2 of 20 seasons by Kobe, both post-achilles tear when he was 36 and 37 years old respectively. Not great.

No. If anything, eFG% is the best representation of field goal efficiency as it counts 3pt shots as 1.5x FGM since it counts as 1.5x points than a normal shot. It's not even an advanced stat. Just a better way of calculating Fg%.

Until the year that Kobe retired, the league average eFG% was only 50%. That means he was playing most of his career on league average eFG% since his stats tanked during the post achilles years.

Ball on the other hand btw has career eFG% of 46.1 and not 48.8. League average in today's NBA is 52.1%. That means he is shooting at way below average.

Nope. It only means that Zo has better shot selection. Zo shoots 80% of his attempts near the rim or beyond the arc. Kobe in comparison only shot 49% of his total attempts at the rim or from deep.

Kobe shot 51% of his attempts in the mid range which is now widely known as the least efficient shot in basketball. Why do you think Derozan is falling off the map and why Melo became extinct?

eFG% is better than FG% but it's worse than TS%. It's not even an argument to be had any longer. It was settled years ago in analytics circles. It's like arguing that batting average tells a better picture of a hitter than OPS. There is literally no reason to choose a stat which takes less data points into account.

Again... I'd agree with this if other posters were referring to Ingram as a bad free throw shooter and not a bad shooter.

Very few bother to say TS%... which was still decent in spite of his FT shooting.

He's good at getting to the line... if he gets his FT up to 75%... gets his 3 point average to somewhere between 39% last year and 33% this year... he'll be a good all around shooter.

But I will continue to troll with eFG% as long as the vast majority of posters call him a bad shooter... instead of a bad foul shooter.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: I'm looking for anyone who doesn't want to trade Zo, Hart, Kuz, and BI.

lakersboy wrote:
activeverb wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
This thread is a search for people out there who don't want to trade these guys. If you say it in other threads you're called dumb. Here are some of my reasons:

LG is full of threads about trading AD, and those threads have lots of comments from people who oppose trading him or giving up too much for him.

Don't really see what the point of having yet another thread on this topic.

The answer is in the bolded part that you ignored. Possibly because you don't care either way. Those of us who do and who have been called out and argued with, appreciate a calm place where I don't need to see opinions that I strongly disagree with.

Meanwhile, I'm not sure why I repeatedly have to be scrutinized by you as to whether I should be starting a thread.

I understand your frustration. However, the reality is you can't start a thread on LG and then dictate who can take part or what they can talk about. Predictably, this thread quickly became a generic AD trade thread, with people expressing every opinion under the sun.

As far as scrutinizing you, I have to admit I am only vaguely familiar with your screenname and don't recall ever having an interaction with you in the past. But I tend to just respond to a topic of a thread or post, and often don't notice the name of the poster.

So rest assured, I have nothing personal feelings about you, and you aren't on my radar in any way.
Jack's Room
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:01 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
Jack's Room wrote:
3baller wrote:
Jack's Room wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
Jack's Room wrote:

48.8%

Mindblowing... but true.

Again... I'd agree with this if other posters were referring to Ingram as a bad free throw shooter and not a bad shooter.

Very few bother to say TS%... which was still decent in spite of his FT shooting.

He's good at getting to the line... if he gets his FT up to 75%... gets his 3 point average to somewhere between 39% last year and 33% this year... he'll be a good all around shooter.

But I will continue to troll with eFG% as long as the vast majority of posters call him a bad shooter... instead of a bad foul shooter.

I think you can make a point without warping stats in bad faith, but you do you.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: I'm looking for anyone who doesn't want to trade Zo, Hart, Kuz, and BI.

activeverb wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
activeverb wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
This thread is a search for people out there who don't want to trade these guys. If you say it in other threads you're called dumb. Here are some of my reasons:

LG is full of threads about trading AD, and those threads have lots of comments from people who oppose trading him or giving up too much for him.

Don't really see what the point of having yet another thread on this topic.

The answer is in the bolded part that you ignored. Possibly because you don't care either way. Those of us who do and who have been called out and argued with, appreciate a calm place where I don't need to see opinions that I strongly disagree with.

Meanwhile, I'm not sure why I repeatedly have to be scrutinized by you as to whether I should be starting a thread.

I understand your frustration. However, the reality is you can't start a thread on LG and then dictate who can take part or what they can talk about. Predictably, this thread quickly became a generic AD trade thread, with people expressing every opinion under the sun.

As far as scrutinizing you, I have to admit I am only vaguely familiar with your screenname and don't recall ever having an interaction with you in the past. But I tend to just respond to a topic of a thread or post, and often don't notice the name of the poster.

So rest assured, I have nothing personal feelings about you, and you aren't on my radar in any way.

I didn't dictate anything to anyone. The title of the thread was to entice those who wanted to peacefully express themselves and share their thoughts. Some who want to do a trade have also expressed themselves and I never discouraged them, thus, there was no dictation.

You've made the assumption that this is exclusively about trading for Anthony Davis. Trades have been suggested for Bradley Beal also. I'm looking for those who like what we have and don't want to trade these guys, period. That doesn't deserve to be buried on a page in so.e lengthy AD thread.

Last edited by lakersboy on Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:05 am; edited 1 time in total
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:04 am    Post subject:

I'd only do the trade if we kept one of Zo or BI as well... with one exception - if we absolutely, 100% knew that Kawhi was coming to join Lebron/AD. Still wouldn't like the trade, but that would totally soften the blow and I could be okay. I'm going to be pissed if its anything short of that and we lose both BI/Zo.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:05 am    Post subject:

Jack's Room wrote:

I think you can make a point without warping stats in bad faith, but you do you.

I'm not warping stats... I'm literally transposing them directly from basketball reference.

I hope you apply the same stringent editorial standards to posters who don't make similar distinctions between BI's poor FT shooting vs poor shooting from the field... but why does it feel like you won't bother.
Jack's Room
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:22 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
Jack's Room wrote:

I'm not warping stats... I'm literally transposing them directly from basketball reference.

I hope you apply the same stringent editorial standards to posters who don't make similar distinctions between BI's poor FT shooting vs poor shooting from the field... but why does it feel like you won't bother.

"Ingram is a bad shooter" is just as non-sensical as "Ingram is just as good as Kobe if you conveniently ignore these other, better metrics." You don't defeat their mistruth with incomplete data, you defeat it by making a full and complete case. To your point, if I see someone say that Ingram is flatly a 'bad shooter' I'll call them out all the same.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:28 am    Post subject:

Jack's Room wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
Jack's Room wrote:

"Ingram is a bad shooter" is just as non-sensical as "Ingram is just as good as Kobe if you conveniently ignore these other, better metrics." You don't defeat their mistruth with biased data, you beat it by making a full and complete case. To your point, if I see someone say that Ingram is flatly a 'bad shooter' I'll call them out all the same.

My point is that everyone uses shorthand to express their points.

So because I'm aware of the bias... I'm perpetuating a nefarious disinformation campaign, while the more stupid are excused for being ignorant?

I never said Ingram is as good as Kobe... I said he's less athletic.

What I said is his effective field goal percentage is better... and that is empirically true.

For some reason you decided I should be held to a higher editorial standard than a large percentage of the board.

It shuts people up when they see Kobe shoots worse than Ingram

If I was submitting a doctoral thesis... yes, this would be terrible form.

But when you are debating a lot of thick people who only understand broadly drawn strokes... sometimes you need to sensationalize to penetrate their thought process.

I wish the nuances of TS% vs. eFG% vs FG% weren't lost on them... but all they say in a loop is Ingram is a bad shooter... and it requires anti heroic measures to shock them out of their stupidity.

Last edited by Sentient Meat on Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:30 am; edited 1 time in total
BynumForThree
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:29 am    Post subject:

r/NBA rates Ingram and Lonzo as overrated prospects who are fringe All-Stars at best while this board hails them as the second coming of Kidd and Pippen. The truth is somewhere in between. Nonetheless, neither of them are worth Anthony Davis' jockstrap and the Lakers need to include both of them to even interest the Pelicans.

For all of you out there questioning Jimmer Fredette of BYU, he is the real deal. - Magic Johnson Mar 20, 2011
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:33 am    Post subject:

Captain America wrote:
I can't believe the FO is even considering this lol, just wait a year and sign him! That would be a championship team. A gutted roster with AD and LeBron and a bunch of C-tier free agents may not even be a playoff team in the West. And then after the year is wasted, you gotta watch Zo tear up the league for the next decade.... Unbelievable

It's just plain stupid isn't it??? Wait a year and sign him outright, or trade your entire future away for a guy who gets injured every year so a 36 year old will get his way. It's just ridiculous!
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:33 am    Post subject:

Folks...

Whether FG% or eFG% or TS% is better is dependent on what you’re arguing about.

Generally, I think eFG% is the best for shooting while TS% is best for looking at scoring efficiency.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: I'm looking for anyone who doesn't want to trade Zo, Hart, Kuz, and BI.

lakersboy wrote:
I didn't dictate anything to anyone. The title of the thread was to entice those who wanted to peacefully express themselves and share their thoughts. .

I don't see how the title would in any way affect the civility, for good or bad, of those who participate. In any case, it's all good.
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:35 am    Post subject:

Pau Gasol's Beard wrote:
They couldn't even beat the Knicks when Bron was out. Damn kids wet the bed. Ship their asses out.

May I remind you we lost to the Knicks when lebron played too. Should we ship his ass out?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10
Jump to: