So.....The West is Wide Open Now
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PartyMan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:00 am    Post subject:

Vegas has us with the 2nd best odd to win the NBA title.

Number 1? Golden State
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:31 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
As for the Lakers needing to strike now. Really? IMO the projected completely overhauled Lakers roster with a Davis trade is not running the table in the playoffs. Besides the motivated Warriors team they still need to get past the Nuggets, Rockets, Thunder, Blazers teams. All serious contenders that will be fine tuning their rosters.

We can beat those teams. It's simply disingenuous to think that a LBJ/AD/3rd max or LBJ/AD/one of BI/Zo/#4, or LBJ/AD/30m in cap space can't beat those teams. We've gotten so accustomed to think negatively about the Lakers that we can't fathom to think positively for once. I for one am very optimistic about this team going forward.

It is not "negative" thinking. It is assessing the likelihood of a completely revamped coaching staff and roster building the chemistry, trust and system efficiency needed to win against deep teams that have already built that chemistry. All in year one.

And those teams are not sitting around idly either. They are looking at ways to tweek their roster by a couple players, not complete overhauls.

I love my Lakers. I hope all the optimistic dominoes fall into place so perfectly with not overpaying in trades, a motivated roster or amazing team chemistry instead of the drama filled cluster**** we have become accustomed to.

Simply not seeing the instant transformation being successful and the timeline too short to make the necessary adjustments in a year or two.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:33 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
As for the Lakers needing to strike now. Really? IMO the projected completely overhauled Lakers roster with a Davis trade is not running the table in the playoffs. Besides the motivated Warriors team they still need to get past the Nuggets, Rockets, Thunder, Blazers teams. All serious contenders that will be fine tuning their rosters.

We can beat those teams. It's simply disingenuous to think that a LBJ/AD/3rd max or LBJ/AD/one of BI/Zo/#4, or LBJ/AD/30m in cap space can't beat those teams. We've gotten so accustomed to think negatively about the Lakers that we can't fathom to think positively for once. I for one am very optimistic about this team going forward.

It is not "negative" thinking. It is assessing the likelihood of a completely revamped coaching staff and roster building the chemistry, trust and system efficiency needed to win against deep teams that have already built that chemistry. All in year one.

And those teams are not sitting around idly either. They are looking at ways to tweek their roster by a couple players, not complete overhauls.

I love my Lakers. I hope all the optimistic dominoes fall into place so perfectly with not overpaying in trades, a motivated roster or amazing team chemistry instead of the drama filled cluster**** we have become accustomed to.

Simply not seeing the instant transformation being successful and the timeline too short to make the necessary adjustments in a year or two.

Were you all in for trading the kids for KL last year? I was wrong on that count thinking KL's injury history was too much of a gamble.

Point being, things turn on a trifle in the NBA. KD injected much needed offensive firepower in Game 5 and his Achilles blew out. Klay was helping spark a comeback in Game 6 and his knee blew out.

We have LBJ, tons of young assets, 32m in cap space.

Sorry, I'm not going pour rain on ourselves right now.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:39 am    Post subject:

kaoss128 wrote:
What do you even do now if you’re the Warriors? Do you just tank next season?

No, their mindset and leadership is about the opposite of the Lakers. They make some moves and go for the playoffs.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:58 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Portland and OKC have gone with their top players for more than a season though (Portland for even longer than that). Portland has never been that good and still never won a game in the conference finals. OKC still hasn’t gotten past the first round with Westbrook and George. Houston has done better but CP3 was looking older and slower than I’ve ever seen; he isn’t a big star anymore IMO. I didn’t think Denver was that good.

That is really weak competition compared to the teams in the East.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:43 pm    Post subject:

In the last 12 years, 5 teams have won or gotten to the finals the same year they made major changes. Considering only 1 out of 15 teams get to the finals every year, that beats the law of averages by a significant amount.

Toronto this year and Boston in 08 won the first year they brought in major talent. Cleveland in 13, Miami in 11 and the Lakers in 08 got to the finals after major changes and won a ring the following year. And I'm not even counting the Warriors after they got Durant.

Talent is more important than "chemistry" based on a group of players being together a long time.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:21 pm    Post subject:

PartyMan wrote:
Vegas has us with the 2nd best odd to win the NBA title.

Number 1? Golden State

That's baffling to me.

KD is gone all of next season and Klay for most of it.

Then you factor in that Steph is on the wrong side of 30 and the other players are aging

I think the Warriors are a playoff team but not a title fave the dynasty ended last night.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:25 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
kaoss128 wrote:
What do you even do now if you’re the Warriors? Do you just tank next season?

No, their mindset and leadership is about the opposite of the Lakers. They make some moves and go for the playoffs.

If they resign KD and Klay they have little to no money. Only way for them to have a chance is if they miss out on resigning those guys but that means their team in the long term will be very different. Unless you have a bunch of desperate players on 1 year contracts that are using the Warriors to showcase free agency, its going to be a lost year for them.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: