Official ANTHONY DAVIS Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 738, 739, 740 ... 1425, 1426, 1427  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:36 pm    Post subject:

AD is only 26. If he doesn't have any major injuries, he could be an elite or near-elite player for the next 8-9 years. I think if he learns how to be a leader once Lebron leaves or gets old, he has a chance to become a top 10 player of all time.

Many in this thread pointed out AD's lack of playoff success in NOLA. Keep in mind that big men like him are finishers, not initators, and therefore they need to play with a great guard or someone like Lebron who can set up the offense and get the ball to them in their sweet spots. Kareem needed Magic, Shaq and Pau needed Kobe, Moses Malone needed Dr. J, Duncan needed Parker, Embiid needs Simmons, etc.

If we sign a good PG to somewhat relieve Lebron of those duties now that he's getting up there in age, get ready for Showtime 3.0. AD runs the floor really well, and he's an awesome target in the paint. Think about how we got Javale McGee so many easy layups and dunks, and then 10x that.

Just watch this awesome AD highlight reel to prepare for what should lie ahead of us:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWcUBINLvOA&t=845s
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:38 pm    Post subject:

He’s on a one year deal. I won’t relax about it until he inks a long term deal with us next summer. Him leaving destroys the franchise for five years, considering all the picks we gave up.
YSong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:44 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
He’s on a one year deal. I won’t relax about it until he inks a long term deal with us next summer. Him leaving destroys the franchise for five years, considering all the picks we gave up.

Absolutely. I also think there’s a .000001% chance of it happening so yeah I’m being realistic.

Considering he’s only asked out and a trade to the Lakers since Feb 2019
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:48 pm    Post subject:

YSong wrote:
mhan00 wrote:

Absolutely. I also think there’s a .000001% chance of it happening so yeah I’m being realistic.

Which is exactly why we should have just signed him outright in 2020.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:50 pm    Post subject:

YSong wrote:
mhan00 wrote:

Uh huh. And if we fail at building a good team around him with another meme team this season? If Lebron gets another groin injury since he’s a year older? If AD looks around halfway through the season and sees he’s playing on a team worse than the one he had around him in NO (without Bron) he doesn’t have second thoughts? Especially with Lebron getting older and no other star player? Even if I do Rob the big favor of laying all of the horrific decisions last season at Magic’s feet, If Rob really failed at something so basic as establishing he timing of the trade so we have max cap space, I’m not confident he can do any better building a team than Magic did.

Until I see us sign a third max or just plain field a decent squad that AD has fun playing on, I’m not taking him re-signing as some sort of given.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Sentient Meat wrote:
YSong wrote:
mhan00 wrote:

Happy the Lakers did what they did.
Username
Star Player
Star Player

Sentient Meat wrote:
YSong wrote:
mhan00 wrote:

Nothing is guaranteed in 2020. And having him and LeBron together next season is huge in what should be a weakened Western Conference with GSW hobbled and Houston imploding.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:51 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
YSong wrote:
mhan00 wrote:

Haven’t learned anything from Paul George and Kawhi?
LKA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:51 pm    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
YSong wrote:
mhan00 wrote:

Happy the Lakers did what they did.

Me too brother. We're gonna be good for once.
YSong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:53 pm    Post subject:

Username wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
YSong wrote:
mhan00 wrote:

Nothing is guaranteed in 2020. And having him and LeBron together next season is huge in what should be a weakened Western Conference with GSW hobbled and Houston imploding.

Thanks! When you see blood and an opportunity you go for the kill
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:07 pm    Post subject:

People keep saying the team threw away the future. I think the team has a more promising future with a 26 year old superstar. And Kuzma is still on the roster.

Last edited by Steve007 on Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:08 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
People keep saying the team threw away the future. I think the team has a more promising future with a 26 year old superstar.

If we keep him. He’s on a one year deal. Dunno how anybody can relax, no matter what has been said about how much he wants to be here, when we traded so much to get him.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:16 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
People keep saying the team threw away the future. I think the team has a more promising future with a 26 year old superstar.

If we keep him. He’s on a one year deal. Dunno how anybody can relax, no matter what has been said about how much he wants to be here, when we traded so much to get him.

Lebron has 2 extra months of rest this offseason. If he can’t win with Davis this year then I don’t see him ever winning with Davis. The West is really down these days so I don’t want to give other teams more time to emerge.

I don’t think we traded that much. If people are unimpressed with Anthony Davis in this thread, what does it say about Ingram, Lonzo and Hart if we hold them to the same standard?
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:17 pm    Post subject:

Omg, the whining here....the never happy spoiled Laker fans.
LKA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:18 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
People keep saying the team threw away the future. I think the team has a more promising future with a 26 year old superstar. And Kuzma is still on the roster.

Some fans are just too used to being in the lottery.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:22 pm    Post subject:

Look at what asset accumulation did for the Celtics. Will they even make it out of the first round next year?

You gotta cash in at some point.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:22 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
AD is only 26. If he doesn't have any major injuries, he could be an elite or near-elite player for the next 8-9 years. I think if he learns how to be a leader once Lebron leaves or gets old, he has a chance to become a top 10 player of all time.

Do you realize at least one of these players is sitting outside the top 10?

Hakeem
Shaq
Moses
Duncan
LeBron
Kobe
Oscar
West

slavavov wrote:
Many in this thread pointed out AD's lack of playoff success in NOLA. Keep in mind that big men like him are finishers, not initators, and therefore they need to play with a great guard or someone like Lebron who can set up the offense and get the ball to them in their sweet spots. Kareem needed Magic, Shaq and Pau needed Kobe, Moses Malone needed Dr. J, Duncan needed Parker, Embiid needs Simmons, etc.

Most elite bigs haven't needed significant help to win more than 35 games, which Davis has failed to do more than twice in his seven year career.

He will likely be an awesome second option, like Gasol. He hasn't shown any signs of being a top primary guy. But y'all can sign one of those when LeBron leaves.
Beir32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:02 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
YSong wrote:
mhan00 wrote:

You really need to stop using this as a fallback excuse as to why you didn't like the trade. It's been explained over and over again why this is not a guarantee and the Lakers know that better than anyone.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:14 pm    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
Omg, the whining here....the never happy spoiled Laker fans.

Dlo, Randle, and now this signing... it's bringing out all the crybabies out of the cribs. We are in great position to form a dynasty and we still have complaints.
Do we seriously believe that some here know about the 7/6 or 7/30 dates but Rob doesn't? Ridiculous.
Wait till those dates and if the worst happens, complain away. But doing so now is premature.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:17 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
slavavov wrote:

Hakeem
Shaq
Moses
Duncan
LeBron
Kobe
Oscar
West

Sure, but with all the young superstars in the league right now (AD, Embiid, Giannis, Zion?) 10 years from now being a top 12-15 player of all time may be the same kind of thing that being a top 10 player of all time is right now.
Quote:

slavavov wrote:

Most elite bigs haven't needed significant help to win more than 35 games, which Davis has failed to do more than twice in his seven year career.

They may not need significant help to do that, but you also can't be on an awful team and expect to finish over .500

Let me remind you that the great centers you guys have had - Moses, Hakeem and Yao - have all played on a couple Rockets teams that were very mediocre or even missed the playoffs. This would be like me saying in 1992 that Hakeem has won less than 45 game three out of eight years and that he missed the playoffs once.
Quote:

He will likely be an awesome second option, like Gasol. He hasn't shown any signs of being a top primary guy. But y'all can sign one of those when LeBron leaves.

I somewhat agree with you here, although AD is more of a 1b option than a second option like Gasol.

There's the opportunity for AD to learn how to be more assertive and impactful, and to learn how to take over during key stretches of the game so that his numbers will have greater impact than they have had so far. But we'll see.

Last edited by slavavov on Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Day
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:19 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
slavavov wrote:

Hakeem
Shaq
Moses
Duncan
LeBron
Kobe
Oscar
West

slavavov wrote:

Moses, Oscar, West, and possibly Hakeem all probably out of the top 10 and Shaq low on the list with Kobe low on most people's list as well.
3baller
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:19 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
YSong wrote:
mhan00 wrote:

Uh huh. And if we fail at building a good team around him with another meme team this season? If Lebron gets another groin injury since he’s a year older? If AD looks around halfway through the season and sees he’s playing on a team worse than the one he had around him in NO (without Bron) he doesn’t have second thoughts? Especially with Lebron getting older and no other star player? Even if I do Rob the big favor of laying all of the horrific decisions last season at Magic’s feet, If Rob really failed at something so basic as establishing he timing of the trade so we have max cap space, I’m not confident he can do any better building a team than Magic did.

Until I see us sign a third max or just plain field a decent squad that AD has fun playing on, I’m not taking him re-signing as some sort of given.

That's a lot of IFs.

Are you also scared of getting hit by lightning when it rains? Can't be too careful amirite?

Yes, it's technically possible that AD would leave after a year. But the odds of that happening is too small to even worry about.

Kyrie never fully wanted Lebron to join him in cleveland according to him in an interview. AD knows full well what he's going into. He switched agents for the sole purpose of having Rich Paul land him in LA. He wants to be in LA with Lebron. LA isn't New Orleans. He can be the face of the best franchise in sports. Dwight left LA and look where that got him.

AD has always been seen as a very loyal guy. He gave NO every chance to surround him with talent. AD's not gonna suddenly be a snake and leave a team with Lebron, Kuz and a potential 3rd max guy. He won't have an excuse.
h2omike
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:20 pm    Post subject:

I like our chances better with a proven all star like Davis, over underachieving Ball, Hart, and to a lesser degree Ingram.

Davis wants to be here, his management team wants him here, make the playoffs, I’m sure he re-signs.
Super Mega Team
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:26 pm    Post subject:

h2omike wrote:
I like our chances better with a proven all star like Davis, over underachieving Ball, Hart, and to a lesser degree Ingram.

Davis wants to be here, his management team wants him here, make the playoffs, I’m sure he re-signs.

Josh Hart is not an unachiever.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:29 pm    Post subject:

OC Lakerfan wrote:
h2omike wrote:

Josh Hart is not an unachiever.

Hart was awful last year. Fell off the table.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 738, 739, 740 ... 1425, 1426, 1427  Next
Page 739 of 1427
Jump to: