Official ANTHONY DAVIS Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 788, 789, 790 ... 1425, 1426, 1427  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:30 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Mozgov and Deng are unplayable. Their contracts were 2 of the worst in the league.
Could we have offloaded them better than we did? Sure. But in no way does that overshadow the idiocracy of giving them those contracts in the first place.

Bingo.

We bought the toxic assets.

We then hired a new company to get rid of the toxic assets.

Could the cleanup crew have done better? Of course.

But who bought the toxic assets in the first place?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:30 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Mozgov and Deng are unplayable. Their contracts were 2 of the worst in the league.
Could we have offloaded them better than we did? Sure. But in no way does that overshadow the idiocracy of giving them those contracts in the first place.

It's like having someone live in a hoarder home. Filled with cat piss and rats. And someone coming in and bulldozing it and starting from scratch. But in the process they destroyed some valuable things that were still in the home.

Sure, the new person should've dug through the crap and saved what was valuable. And they're wrong for that. But not nearly as wrong as the person who turned the home into a hazmat zone to begin with. The bulldozer was only used because of the (bleep) that pre-dated it.

No one is arguing this.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:37 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
kikanga wrote:

It's like having someone live in a hoarder home. Filled with cat piss and rats. And someone coming in and bulldozing it and starting from scratch. But in the process they destroyed some valuable things that were still in the home.

Sure, the new person should've dug through the crap and saved what was valuable. And they're wrong for that. But not nearly as wrong as the person who turned the home into a hazmat zone to begin with. The bulldozer was only used because of the (bleep) that pre-dated it.

No one is arguing this.

Well. There may be one.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Well. There may be one.

That's the only reason why I said anything. I'm down for crapping on Magic. He was better than his predecessor. But still a below average head of bball ops.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:57 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Well. There may be one.

That's the only reason why I said anything. I'm down for crapping on Magic. He was better than his predecessor. But still a below average head of bball ops.

I think 99.99% of LG agree about Moz/Deng (hereafter referred to as "toxic assets") being poor signings.

I think close to a majority of LG would agree that there were other ways to have gotten ridden of said toxic assets.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:02 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Well. There may be one.

I think 99.99% of LG agree about Moz/Deng (hereafter referred to as "toxic assets") being poor signings.

I think close to a majority of LG would agree that there were other ways to have gotten ridden of said toxic assets.

That I doubt.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:02 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/Lakers/status/1173764241007890432

Last edited by LandsbergerRules on Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:46 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Well. There may be one.

That I doubt.

Well, point is, the first contention mostly everyone is in agreement. The bolded, is up for discussion. Some liked what Magic did, others didn't. But Magic is gone and I think a lot of people here were happy he quit to be honest.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:11 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Well. There may be one.

That I doubt.

Well, point is, the first contention mostly everyone is in agreement. The bolded, is up for discussion. Some liked what Magic did, others didn't. But Magic is gone and I think a lot of people here were happy he quit to be honest.

Do you think it was a mistake to give him the position in the first place?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:17 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Well. There may be one.

That I doubt.

Do you think it was a mistake to give him the position in the first place?

Yes. But I was hoping for the best. But that's another conversation. He was part of the clean up crew.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:36 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Well. There may be one.

That I doubt.

And some were against bringing him in at all. I guess that he really is Jeanie’s brother.
h2omike
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:36 pm    Post subject:

It was an expensive cost of business. People don’t give the Lakers discounts. Cost us first round picks to dump Walton and Vucj, once we made a mistake, we had t9 oa6 through the nose again to get out of it.
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:48 am    Post subject:

LAL1947 wrote:
KOBE WAN wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Right. Which means whether it was Lonzo or Tatum, that salary would be needed to aggregate matching salaries.

Right, which has been one of my biggest criticisms of this FO. Imagine if we had Mozgov’s or Deng’s salary to trade.

Having either of their contracts to trade would probably have meant the Lakers would have to somehow give up even more in the trade, not less. Why would a team take on a garbage contract just to match salaries compared to asking for Lonzo or Tatum?

This! We had to give up d’angelo to get rid of mozgov’s contract. Wow VLF is looney

His critique is about stretching Deng's contract as unnecessarily early as they did, you daft twats.

Please get this through your thick, molasses-and-mucus-filled skulls.

((REMOVED - JMK)) While it may have ended up being "unnecessarily early" to stretch Deng's contract (even though it gave us $32.7m+ in cap-space to sign any worthy FA who became available... and "unnecessarily early" with hindsight only, which tends to be 20/20 hindsight vision in arm-chair GMs... this isn't what VLF is arguing! He's saying that if we had Mozgov and Deng, we could have included them instead of Lonzo or BI in a deal for AD to match salaries... ignoring that we'd then either have to give up even more picks and/or take back bad contracts in addition to giving up all our picks. So we'd simply be replacing one bad contract (Moz/Deng) with another (like Solomon Hill)... and we wouldn't have any picks left to help get the new bad contract off our books either. Look at the 2 quotes in this chain that are highlighted in red and bolded for context.

Apparently I'm Nostradumbass because I called out the move when it happened - LaMind was there first - and have been vindicated by actual events because it was only ever a cosmetic good move to the gibbering cretins who always applaud when Jeanie saves herself money. And to be accurate, the whole reason we were clapping and snorting in approval last September is because it was supposed to clear $39M this summer because that was the exact amount needed to sign Kevin Durant (who once again took less money to sign with the team he really wanted) - please get your facts straight.

What are you even arguing against?

1) Everyone knew years in advance that this was going to be a summer with a lot of marquee FAs available... KD, Kawhi, Klay, Kyrie, Butler, Kemba, Harris... and the FO freed up enough cap-space to sign any of those FAs. Would you prefer that we didn't free up the cap-space to try and sign one from this glut of FAs outright.. and leave ourselves at the mercy of other teams in order to make a trade for a star... even though AD demanding out of the Pels was not even a thought/factor at the time?
2) Even if we anticipated not getting one of these FAs and needing to making a trade for a star (any star, not just AD)... how many teams do you know who are willing to trade their superstars to us without asking for the sun and the moon and the stars in return?

Ultimately, we didn't sign KD, Kawhi, Kyrie, Klay... we can't force anyone to want to join... but we can create circumstances that enable us to sign them (1 - by creating the needed cap-space, which was done... and 2 - organisationally with regard to the rest of the team/staff and the system/culture, where we seem to have failed). Anyway, I am glad the FO did what was needed financially to go after these guys rather than not play at all. The odds of signing an FA when there were so many good ones available was better than the odds of making a trade, i.e., before AD LATER demanded out of the Pels. Armchair GM-ing is real easy, especially with hindsight and if we're ignoring reality (such as, we're one of the least favorite teams for other teams to trade to).

Quote:
VLF is arguing a counterfactual, which is never wise, but he seems to be arguing for keeping at least one larger non-rookie scale contract on the roster last season to help facilitate matching salaries and add flexibility in trade negotiations. Seems reasonable to me.

No, that is not exactly what VLF is arguing. For the third time, VLF is a wily troll... and he is trying to say that Mozgov and Deng should have been kept on the books in order to distract from Jim/Mitch's mistake there. There are plenty of other examples he could have used instead, if his point was only to say that we should have kept other non-rookie scale contracts on the roster... like BroLo or even Randle (although Randle was reportedly asking for at least $15m and a 3+ year contract as a bench player... we could/should have got something there instead of letting him go for nothing)... but that isn't VLF's intention... and you fell for it hook, line and sinker.

Quote:
But please go on arguing in favor of the handful of moves Magic made as GM before he chickened out because the job was too hard.

Magic did plenty wrong and I'm glad he's gone... but waiving Deng wasn't a mistake, it was one of a couple of plausible options that he chose to exercise. Also, I have been among the first to point out when Magic did wrong, even to the extent of being called a racist at times by some... because I don't care who the person is, their legacy or race... and only care about the team. I think signing LeBron was a mistake because it forced a shift in what we were doing (from going through "the process" to being in win-now mode) and his characteristics didn't fit in with the strengths of the 2 best assets we'd drafted (BI and Lonzo)... and speaking of Lonzo, although I can see the draw behind drafting a local guy and the positives of his size/defense... I really wanted us to sign Fox, so drafting Lonzo was another mistake IMO. So I'm not sure what your point is with that last statement too.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:42 am    Post subject:

LAL1947 wrote:
LAL1947 wrote:
KOBE WAN wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Right. Which means whether it was Lonzo or Tatum, that salary would be needed to aggregate matching salaries.

Right, which has been one of my biggest criticisms of this FO. Imagine if we had Mozgov’s or Deng’s salary to trade.

Having either of their contracts to trade would probably have meant the Lakers would have to somehow give up even more in the trade, not less. Why would a team take on a garbage contract just to match salaries compared to asking for Lonzo or Tatum?

This! We had to give up d’angelo to get rid of mozgov’s contract. Wow VLF is looney

His critique is about stretching Deng's contract as unnecessarily early as they did, you daft twats.

Please get this through your thick, molasses-and-mucus-filled skulls.

((REMOVED - JMK)) While it may have ended up being "unnecessarily early" to stretch Deng's contract (even though it gave us $32.7m+ in cap-space to sign any worthy FA who became available... and "unnecessarily early" with hindsight only, which tends to be 20/20 hindsight vision in arm-chair GMs... this isn't what VLF is arguing! He's saying that if we had Mozgov and Deng, we could have included them instead of Lonzo or BI in a deal for AD to match salaries... ignoring that we'd then either have to give up even more picks and/or take back bad contracts in addition to giving up all our picks. So we'd simply be replacing one bad contract (Moz/Deng) with another (like Solomon Hill)... and we wouldn't have any picks left to help get the new bad contract off our books either. Look at the 2 quotes in this chain that are highlighted in red and bolded for context.

Apparently I'm Nostradumbass because I called out the move when it happened - LaMind was there first - and have been vindicated by actual events because it was only ever a cosmetic good move to the gibbering cretins who always applaud when Jeanie saves herself money. And to be accurate, the whole reason we were clapping and snorting in approval last September is because it was supposed to clear $39M this summer because that was the exact amount needed to sign Kevin Durant (who once again took less money to sign with the team he really wanted) - please get your facts straight.

What are you even arguing against?

1) Everyone knew years in advance that this was going to be a summer with a lot of marquee FAs available... KD, Kawhi, Klay, Kyrie, Butler, Kemba, Harris... and the FO freed up enough cap-space to sign any of those FAs. Would you prefer that we didn't free up the cap-space to try and sign one from this glut of FAs outright.. and leave ourselves at the mercy of other teams in order to make a trade for a star... even though AD demanding out of the Pels was not even a thought/factor at the time?
2) Even if we anticipated not getting one of these FAs and needing to making a trade for a star (any star, not just AD)... how many teams do you know who are willing to trade their superstars to us without asking for the sun and the moon and the stars in return?

Ultimately, we didn't sign KD, Kawhi, Kyrie, Klay... we can't force anyone to want to join... but we can create circumstances that enable us to sign them (1 - by creating the needed cap-space, which was done... and 2 - organisationally with regard to the rest of the team/staff and the system/culture, where we seem to have failed). Anyway, I am glad the FO did what was needed financially to go after these guys rather than not play at all. The odds of signing an FA when there were so many good ones available was better than the odds of making a trade, i.e., before AD LATER demanded out of the Pels. Armchair GM-ing is real easy, especially with hindsight and if we're ignoring reality (such as, we're one of the least favorite teams for other teams to trade to).

Quote:
VLF is arguing a counterfactual, which is never wise, but he seems to be arguing for keeping at least one larger non-rookie scale contract on the roster last season to help facilitate matching salaries and add flexibility in trade negotiations. Seems reasonable to me.

No, that is not exactly what VLF is arguing. For the third time, VLF is a wily troll... and he is trying to say that Mozgov and Deng should have been kept on the books in order to distract from Jim/Mitch's mistake there. There are plenty of other examples he could have used instead, if his point was only to say that we should have kept other non-rookie scale contracts on the roster... like BroLo or even Randle (although Randle was reportedly asking for at least $15m and a 3+ year contract as a bench player... we could/should have got something there instead of letting him go for nothing)... but that isn't VLF's intention... and you fell for it hook, line and sinker.

Quote:
But please go on arguing in favor of the handful of moves Magic made as GM before he chickened out because the job was too hard.

Magic did plenty wrong and I'm glad he's gone... but waiving Deng wasn't a mistake, it was one of a couple of plausible options that he chose to exercise. Also, I have been among the first to point out when Magic did wrong, even to the extent of being called a racist at times by some... because I don't care who the person is, their legacy or race... and only care about the team. I think signing LeBron was a mistake because it forced a shift in what we were doing (from going through "the process" to being in win-now mode) and his characteristics didn't fit in with the strengths of the 2 best assets we'd drafted (BI and Lonzo)... and speaking of Lonzo, although I can see the draw behind drafting a local guy and the positives of his size/defense... I really wanted us to sign Fox, so drafting Lonzo was another mistake IMO. So I'm not sure what your point is with that last statement too.

The argument: stretching Deng's contract when they did was a mistake. I argued that it was a mistake at the time. That's it.

My goal as a fan is to see the best Lakers team possible put together. Looking around the league at other successfully constructed rosters it seems apparent that it requires a whole lot of luck along with institutional competence and a process-oriented vision. Nothing too complicated. You first have to get your Lebron and Anthony Davis, of course, which is by far the hardest thing to do and mightily impressive work from Magic and Pelinka, but winning enough marginal transactions when constructing the roster around that duo can be the difference between a title and a WCF loss to the Clippers.

Stretching Deng when they did? Poor process decision. Losing Lopez for less money than Lance Stephenson was given? Poor process decision. Trading Zu for a worse player because they realized too late they needed a big man with Lopez's skillset? Poor process decision. Giving KCP (again), Rondo, and McGee de facto no-trade clauses? Poor process decision. Hiring Jason Kidd in any capacity? Poor process decision. Signing Howard over Noah? Poor process decision. Overvaluing Kuzma? Potentially a poor process decision. And most of these decisions were obviously poorly conceived in the moment they were executed.

But if the Lebron/AD core wins a title, it's all gravy washed under the carpet. Because luck and elite talent are at the core of every NBA championship team and Maginka have helped build a roster with the latter and may have enough of the former to overcome the damage Rondo is going to do what they've built.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:27 am    Post subject:

Just remember, stuff happens. Toronto wasn't considered a favorite to beat the Warriors when the season started. Yet everything fell in line for them.

Here's to hoping that we enter the playoffs healthy. LBJ/AD is a very tough team to beat in a 7 game series.
scout0_0
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:36 am    Post subject:

I don't understand why a lot of people are not appreciating Davis. The guy is a top 5 player and we will have him for the rest of his career. Love the guy and wnjoy the ride. Think how much easier it will be for us to recruit with a 26 yr old on our teamz
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:13 pm    Post subject:

here's Zach Lowe recalling AD's progression as a ballhandler; from a convo with his former assistant coach.. going from 1 dribble move, to 2. And AD said last Summer he needed his confidence to grow as a ball handler. And that happened last season. He's still growing as a player
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:29 pm    Post subject:

OMG. We have AD.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:34 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
OMG. We have AD.

!!!

Can't wait to see him feasting on opposing bigs and putting up 40/20/3 games.
scout0_0
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:38 pm    Post subject:

I can't believe it... I always knew you would be the one. THIS IS YOUR FRANCHISE.

32ppg
12rpg
3bpg
2spg

DPOY
MVP
FMVP

I really think he can do it.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:59 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Just remember, stuff happens. Toronto wasn't considered a favorite to beat the Warriors when the season started. Yet everything fell in line for them.

Here's to hoping that we enter the playoffs healthy. LBJ/AD is a very tough team to beat in a 7 game series.

If only.
twisted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:00 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:

No one is arguing this.

Well. There may be one.

you mean the clipper fan from ventura?
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:44 am    Post subject:

When he was on with James Worthy and the crew, pushed about AD at the 5, Vogel all but confirmed that the plan is to close with AD at 5
So AD will start at 4, but the death lineups are going to have AD at the 5. Very similar to Pau Gasol in his prime. AD is more athletic and talented defensively.

It was nice to hear that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:37 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
When he was on with James Worthy and the crew, pushed about AD at the 5, Vogel all but confirmed that the plan is to close with AD at 5
So AD will start at 4, but the death lineups are going to have AD at the 5. Very similar to Pau Gasol in his prime. AD is more athletic and talented defensively.

It was nice to hear that.

That's great to hear. Having a nearly flawless defensive 5 like Davis adds so much versatility and value over having him at PF alongside more limited defensive bigs like McGee/Howard. When you absolutely, positively have to get a win, take Davis at center every time.

I also hope Caruso's up to the task offensively to earn closing minutes, because he's a better interior defender on switches than KCP, Bradley, and apparently even Danny Green. My guess is that the Lakers best defensive lineups this season will obviously all include AD and Green, but their very best will have Caruso alongside them.

Basketball nerd + male pattern baldness closing lineup of death: AD/Dudley/Lebron/Green/Caruso.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:48 am    Post subject:

For your viewing pleasure, here's a 13-min vid of GT breaking down AD's elite defensive skillset that's better than porn: https://youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=BdtN0TaSq7w

Note GT's comments about lineups with Davis at C around the 7-minute mark.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 788, 789, 790 ... 1425, 1426, 1427  Next
Page 789 of 1427
Jump to: