Official ANTHONY DAVIS Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 971, 972, 973 ... 1425, 1426, 1427  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:21 am    Post subject:

lar9149 wrote:
Don’t know anyone has mentioned it.

But was very Impressed with AD defense on Murray. There just aren’t big men that can guard a smaller guy Like this.

If the Lakers play the Celtics and Tatum goes off, we may need this.

Yea! I was gonna put that on the WCF thread.
I've never seen Murray jump up to take a shot and then change his mind midair to pass. That happened like 2 or 3 times the last game alone.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:24 am    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:
https://twitter.com/its_chri5tian/status/1307887722187509762?s=21

Real question: what was going through everyone's heads when he shot it? He was gonna make or miss? It happened to half to decide?

Second question: how loud did you scream?

I thought the shot was good as soon as he let it go. Just that Lakers magic that i knew was gonna kick in. I screamed by lungs out multiple times when i saw the shot go through the net, looked at my girlfriend, and i said, "now, you REALLY know what it's like to be a Lakers fan!" She had never seen the Lakers in the playoffs before
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:40 am    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
epic_ wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:
https://twitter.com/its_chri5tian/status/1307887722187509762?s=21

Real question: what was going through everyone's heads when he shot it? He was gonna make or miss? It happened to half to decide?

Second question: how loud did you scream?

I thought the shot was good as soon as he let it go. Just that Lakers magic that i knew was gonna kick in. I screamed by lungs out multiple times when i saw the shot go through the net, looked at my girlfriend, and i said, "now, you REALLY know what it's like to be a Lakers fan!" She had never seen the Lakers in the playoffs before

Oh man! What a thrill.
And what a time to get to see the Lakers in the playoffs! Good stuff!

I wasn't sure the ball was going it. I was just waiting in expectation haha.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:09 am    Post subject:

10 min mark. Love his answer

Lakers are in great hands with AD for the next decade.
GTL
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:20 am    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
defense wrote:
Hey I would much rather have the inferior stat padder and compete for championships than have guys like Harden or Westbrick that win MVP's but never rings.

Karl Malone and Charles Barkley were awesome stat padders who played on great teams, but they just could not get the job done. Hopefully by the end of this season Davis wont be in that category.

😂 All of those guys would be title favorites alongside LeBron too, aside from Westbrook. Harden playing alongside LeBron’s gravity....good Lord!

I mean, y’all still think the guy I bolded would have a ring if he didn’t get hurt in 04, right? Now imagine if he forced his way to play alongside the best player in his prime. This is not a knock on Davis (I’m pro free agency). But I’m not gonna flame guys for staying loyal and coming up short when they are underdogs.

Davis hasn’t proven that he can carry the load as those other guys have. Right now he’s proving that it’s unfair to put him alongside one of the best ever to do just that. And he’s dominating in that manner. He’s still young and will likely have plenty of chances to get into discussions with those guys (referencing the bigs first mentioned).

Edit: FYI, Harden did compete for championships, once as a 3rd option and twice as the primary one (came closest to beating GS in two WCF’s trips). That’s not inferior stat padding. He wasn’t good enough to carry his team past better teams, including one historically great one.

Then what's your point?
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:32 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
Hey I would much rather have the inferior stat padder and compete for championships than have guys like Harden or Westbrick that win MVP's but never rings.

Karl Malone and Charles Barkley were awesome stat padders who played on great teams, but they just could not get the job done. Hopefully by the end of this season Davis wont be in that category.

I see what you're saying. Malone was lucky to have Stockton alongside him for his whole career. I consider Barkley to be the superior player out of those two.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:49 pm    Post subject:

"If @AntDavis23 proved anything it's that he's not a Los Angeles Clipper."

Screaming A Smiff
GTL
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:53 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
"If @AntDavis23 proved anything it's that he's not a Los Angeles Clipper."

Screaming A Smiff

The B team Clippers? Fitting that they had B Davis.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:20 pm    Post subject:

GTL wrote:

Then what's your point?

You're talking to the most prolific troll in the history of this forum.
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:23 pm    Post subject:

If you guys have Disney+ then...

https://twitter.com/disneyplus/status/1308167681636331520?s=21
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:25 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
GTL wrote:

Then what's your point?

Please. He's a fan of another team and brings an opposing point of view. Of course he's going to defend his team, it's good to be on a board that values a diversity of opinion, makes for a much more stimulating and thought-provoking forum.
GTL
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:36 pm    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
Wilt wrote:
GTL wrote:

Then what's your point?

Please. He's a fan of another team and brings an opposing point of view. Of course he's going to defend his team, it's good to be on a board that values a diversity of opinion, makes for a much more stimulating and thought-provoking forum.

Steve Novak has every right to defend his team and certainly he's welcome to post here at LG, the biggest group of passionate Lakers fans on the internet.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:17 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
How many PF's have been "the main guys" on champions?

Not many, and I don’t even know if KG would qualify, though I do think he was the most important guy on Boston.

Y’all keep mentioning playoffs and titles. AD was barely able to keep his teams competitive. Those other guys were on a regular basis.

I’m glad you mentioned McHale. He was a beast on both sides of the ball and won, but he’s never mentioned above those other guys. Great 2nd option don’t > great primary guy.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:21 pm    Post subject:

GTL wrote:
Then what's your point?

My point is winning now, even Finals MVP, won’t elevate him to comparison with the best PFs ever, all who had success as primary guys with some winning rings. That was the question that was posed. I guess it helps to read the thread.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:26 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
j-dawgSince you put an emphasis on discounting players winning with other Stars (because you use LeBron as an argument against Davis’ success this year), how many championships as KG won as the #1 option on his team?

I’m not discounting them. They typically aren’t looked at in the same regard. If they were then we would be arguing for Pippen as a top 10 player. Etc.

KG arguably was Boston’s most important player when they won, FYI.

Dreamshake wrote:
j-dawg How many championships have Malone and Barkley won not just in the first 7 years of their career, but for their entire careers?

Did these players have an overall losing record when carrying teams? That’s AD’s resume as “the guy”.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:33 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
GTL wrote:
Then what's your point?

My point is winning now, even Finals MVP, won’t elevate him to comparison with the best PFs ever, all who had success as primary guys with some winning rings. That was the question that was posed. I guess it helps to read the thread.

So could be wise to wait till AD nears the end of his career. Not sure he's hit the midway point yet.

Side: what do you think Houston does roster wise and coach wise?
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

epic_ wrote:
lar9149 wrote:
Don’t know anyone has mentioned it.

But was very Impressed with AD defense on Murray. There just aren’t big men that can guard a smaller guy Like this.

If the Lakers play the Celtics and Tatum goes off, we may need this.

Yea! I was gonna put that on the WCF thread.
I've never seen Murray jump up to take a shot and then change his mind midair to pass. That happened like 2 or 3 times the last game alone.

THAT was special! A very special player. My goodness that was entertaining watching Murray change his mind mid-jumper. Only a defensive beast could create that kind of fear in a supposedly fearless player.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

defense wrote:
Dshake seems to ignore that winning is the most important thing, not who puts up the best stats.

I’m not ignoring it. Davis had 7 years and posted a overall losing record. Losing in a big way. Winning alongside LeBron will go down more in the great 2nd option category (Pippen, Wade, McHale, Gasol, Robinson), but it won’t bump him over historical guys who did a better job leading teams than him.

And it can still be a big man era. They are just worse. We did just have a big win MVP back to back.
GTL
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:36 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
GTL wrote:
Then what's your point?

You placed AD on a "Pippen" level.

I'd argue that Pippen is a better overall player then KG, who had to join two other stars to win 1 title as the second option.

At least Pippen made it past the first round as THE primary guy when MJ retired.

As far as Barkley and Malone are concerned, both of those men joined super teams to win their one and only championship, which wasn't successful.

AD, hopefully, is on route to leading this team to a title.

He's currently the guy.

You may not see it that way with LBJ on the team, but lets not pretend this is Miami LeBron. He should be thankful to be playing with the best PF in the league.

And notice how the Lakers tend to win titles with only 2 superstars?

We don't need Durant, Curry and Klay or KG, Pierce and Allen.

Kobe and Shaq, Kobe and Gasol, LeBron and AD will do just fine.

It's not just the stars or the role players, but the organization behind them. We're just better then you are.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:46 pm    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
GTL wrote:
Then what's your point?

So could be wise to wait till AD nears the end of his career. Not sure he's hit the midway point yet.

Agreed. Someone asked if winning now would bump him with the greats. I responded.

The team is pretty screwed as far as adding talent. Only trade chip is Gordon and he has a bad contract considering how he played this year. The owner has shown that he won’t pay what it takes to win and will even use assets to trim payroll. If the cap comes in way below and limits the market to the MLE then Morey may be able to get someone. I don’t see the owner being willing to go into the lux tax though. I think they’d add a big that can switch and shoot if they could, but they cost, hence going small. Westbrook trade really hurt.

Coach wise...I expect it to be someone who will come cheap.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:50 pm    Post subject:

GTL wrote:
It's not just the stars or the role players, but the organization behind them. We're just better then you are.

Really? I had no clue. I thought we were right behind y’all with our 2 titles and all.

GTL wrote:

We got a title with one superstar. That’s gotta count for a 5 title bump or something, right?
GTL
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:54 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
GTL wrote:

Really? I had no clue. I thought we were right behind y’all with our 2 titles and all.

GTL wrote:

We got a title with one superstar. That’s gotta count for a 5 title bump or something, right?

Definitely, Hakeem is a transcendent player and has never been replicated.

In my mind, he's top 5 all time.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:07 pm    Post subject:

Just enjoy the Shot, Win and AD.

why does the comparing need to start?
j-dawg
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:14 pm    Post subject:

This is the first argument I’ve seen in which regular season wins have come into play over someone’s legacy

I’m sure I could make an argument that Mike Brown or Mike D’antoni are HOF coaches based on regular season wins

The more you look at KG and AD, the closer they are. AD must be doing a lot of good if people have ran out of actual solid criteria (such as playoff success) to use to the point where they start factoring in his regular season records and other semantics. What is flawed about this argument is that you yourself admit that KG has been able to stay on the floor longer (he is healthier) so doesn’t it answer your own question as to why AD’s regular season winning percentage is lower than KG’s? But seriously, to even argue about the regular season?

KG got out of the first round of the playoffs as the #1 option on his team exactly once, in his whole career. That bar is low to the point where AD has already met the criteria in his first 7 years in the league. Why is it that this gets completely ignored when we bring up KG, but this pulls AD into a “Pippen” category?
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:22 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
epic_ wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
GTL wrote:
Then what's your point?

Agreed. Someone asked if winning now would bump him with the greats. I responded.

The team is pretty screwed as far as adding talent. Only trade chip is Gordon and he has a bad contract considering how he played this year. The owner has shown that he won’t pay what it takes to win and will even use assets to trim payroll. If the cap comes in way below and limits the market to the MLE then Morey may be able to get someone. I don’t see the owner being willing to go into the lux tax though. I think they’d add a big that can switch and shoot if they could, but they cost, hence going small. Westbrook trade really hurt.

Coach wise...I expect it to be someone who will come cheap.

Thanks man. Appreciate the perspective from the other side.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 971, 972, 973 ... 1425, 1426, 1427  Next
Page 972 of 1427
Jump to: