Official ANTHONY DAVIS Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1105, 1106, 1107 ... 1425, 1426, 1427  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ducasse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:56 pm    Post subject:

When is AD going to stop shooting 3s? 0-5 against the Kings and down to 16.7% for the season. His percentage made has been declining each year since he arrived from 33% to 26% to 16%. The points he produces from 2 vs 3 is an astronomical difference. Just based on baskets made he's generating 104 points per 100 shots from 2 and 50 points per 100 shots from 3 this year, and that's not including all the fouls he creates when shooting closer to the basket.

If he's going to keep taking them with time left on the shot clock he should have a rule that if he misses two in a row to start a game he shuts down the 3 attempts for the night unless the shot clock dictates otherwise. It's just madness for him to keep shooting them. I don't know why Giannis takes them either but at least he's at 28%.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:51 pm    Post subject:

If he's wide open he needs to take those shots for spacing reasons. He's a far better shooter than he's shown so far this season.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:59 pm    Post subject:

Lakers "supporting" cast.

Bradley 0-5
THT 4-10
Melo 0-7
Monk 1-5

5-27 from the dudes taking mostly open looks ....

AD had a good 2-way game, but until the supporting cast gets more consistent or Rob makes some moves, it's gonna be a .500-.600 team. I think our record with Bron is 7-4. Just about right. Can't see this team do to much better than a 4th-5th seed at this point. If Bron stays healthy, that is.

I also feel when we play space and pace, and have AD just set screens and space the floor that is when he is at his worst. We just make him into your typical stretch big. That's not his best strength. When we use AD inside as a 4, we are far more better it seems. This team is not getting a lot better than what they've shown, IMO. The supporting cast just isn't consistent at making shots, and we don't play defense for long enough in a game. Tonight was probably the longest we played D in a game (3 straight Qs we played good D) and then we went into the 4th playing pace/space and small ball and messed it all up. What's AD supposed to do, teach those role players how to hit open shots? Tell the coaches to stop playing pace/space?

BTW, DAJ/AD/Lebron is a really good defensive trio. We need to build our D around them, like we did 2 years ago around McGee/AD/Bron. If I have not mentioned it enough already, I don't think pace/space is at all the right plan for this team. Even Westbrook, is just fine as long as he gets some screens.

Last edited by wolfpaclaker on Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LGFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:03 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

Bradley 0-5
THT 4-10
Melo 0-7
Monk 1-5

AD had a good 2-way game, but until the supporting cast gets more consistent or Rob makes some moves, it's gonna be a .500-.600 team. I think our record with Bron is 7-4. Just about right.

I also feel when we play space and pace, and have AD just set screens and space the floor that is when he is at his worst. We just make him into your typical stretch big. That's not his best strength. When we use AD inside as a 4, we are far more better it seems. This team is not getting a lot better than what they've shown, IMO. The supporting cast just isn't consistent at making shots, and we don't play defense for long enough in a game. Tonight was probably the longest we played D in a game (3 straight Qs we played good D) and then we went into the 4th playing pace/space and small ball and messed it all up.

with Bron and westbrook handling the ball 48mins, i dont see how THT helps us.
Doesnt Play defense
Cant hit 3pt shot

I would trade him for a shooter which is easier said then done
ducasse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:33 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
If he's wide open he needs to take those shots for spacing reasons. He's a far better shooter than he's shown so far this season.

I agree if he's wide open he should shoot them if he can make them. He's been well under 30% the past two seasons. Should he be shooting five 3s in a game if he can't make 30%? He's on the perimeter way too often which doesn't suit his skill set.
ducasse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:45 am    Post subject:

LGFan wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Bradley 0-5
THT 4-10
Melo 0-7
Monk 1-5

AD had a good 2-way game, but until the supporting cast gets more consistent or Rob makes some moves, it's gonna be a .500-.600 team. I think our record with Bron is 7-4. Just about right.

I also feel when we play space and pace, and have AD just set screens and space the floor that is when he is at his worst. We just make him into your typical stretch big. That's not his best strength. When we use AD inside as a 4, we are far more better it seems. This team is not getting a lot better than what they've shown, IMO. The supporting cast just isn't consistent at making shots, and we don't play defense for long enough in a game. Tonight was probably the longest we played D in a game (3 straight Qs we played good D) and then we went into the 4th playing pace/space and small ball and messed it all up.

with Bron and westbrook handling the ball 48mins, i dont see how THT helps us.
Doesnt Play defense
Cant hit 3pt shot

I would trade him for a shooter which is easier said then done

It can't just be a shooter though, it needs to be a shooter that can defend. Danny Green is back up to 43% from 3 this year after we watched him dip down to 36% as a Laker.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:03 am    Post subject:

A younger Danny Green would be great. We need a 2 guard that has enough size to defend some bigger players but can also defend smalls. A high IQ and high motor defender, who is a reliable 3 point shooter.

Ellington is a "shooter" but he is not reliable enough to play big minutes on D. We lose leads when we don't play our best D. We have to commit to D.

THT has a lot of talent and he can defend. He challenges shots well. However, not sure what is his exact compliment to the big 3. Not an elite defender yet, not a great shooter or passer. Can drive and create but not at the level where defenses are paying big time. He needs a few years, IMO.

For AD, our objective each game should be to get him touches as close as possible to the paint. We did this in this game.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:44 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
A younger Danny Green would be great. We need a 2 guard that has enough size to defend some bigger players but can also defend smalls. A high IQ and high motor defender, who is a reliable 3 point shooter.

Ellington is a "shooter" but he is not reliable enough to play big minutes on D. We lose leads when we don't play our best D. We have to commit to D.

THT has a lot of talent and he can defend. He challenges shots well. However, not sure what is his exact compliment to the big 3. Not an elite defender yet, not a great shooter or passer. Can drive and create but not at the level where defenses are paying big time. He needs a few years, IMO.

For AD, our objective each game should be to get him touches as close as possible to the paint. We did this in this game.

Nunn and Ariza
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:49 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Nunn and Ariza

Before this, I was reading "THT". Nunn is not a big guard defender, from what I've seen nor a natural catch and shoot guy. Different player than Green. Ariza's age, it makes it tough for me to see he'll be a big difference maker. Lets see, but I hope Rob is looking to make a move for a 4th core player. We have the big 3, but we have Melo as a sniper option. We need that 4th starter who can play with Melo/Bron/AD/WB and start with the starters.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

<snip>

Nunn and Ariza

Before this, I was reading "THT". Nunn is not a big guard defender, from what I've seen nor a natural catch and shoot guy. Different player than Green. Ariza's age, it makes it tough for me to see he'll be a big difference maker. Lets see, but I hope Rob is looking to make a move for a 4th core player. We have the big 3, but we have Melo as a sniper option. We need that 4th starter who can play with Melo/Bron/AD/WB and start with the starters.[/quote]

In other words a 3&D wing with length aka a much younger Ariza.
Kobetan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:25 pm    Post subject:

Cunningham is probably having nightmares of AD blocking him while he sleeps
Lakerz113
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:56 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
governator wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Nunn and Ariza

Before this, I was reading "THT". Nunn is not a big guard defender, from what I've seen nor a natural catch and shoot guy. Different player than Green. Ariza's age, it makes it tough for me to see he'll be a big difference maker. Lets see, but I hope Rob is looking to make a move for a 4th core player. We have the big 3, but we have Melo as a sniper option. We need that 4th starter who can play with Melo/Bron/AD/WB and start with the starters.

One would think some of these guards turn into forwards.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:17 am    Post subject:

Lakerz113 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
governator wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Nunn and Ariza

One would think some of these guards turn into forwards.

None of the guards are starting level. Lets say Melo because of his elite scoring/shot making ability is "starting" "core" level as the 4th guy. At minimum we need a 5th guy that can be with them. We don't have that player. Frank is relying on Bradley, who was cut by the Warriors. Baze, Ellington, nah. Monk is young and talented but not that guy, let go by the Hornets. Most of our options are players that have been bench players on mediocre teams.

The starting 2 guards on contenders:

Harden - Nets
Middleton - Bucks
Klay/Poole - Warriors
Booker - Suns

We have no shot in hell, keeping this roster in tact. Our best hope was THT becoming that player and stepping up. From what I've seen, THT is your classic re-build player. He would be great on a re-build team and build his confidence up. So for us, that's a bench player. We need that starting 2 who can be relied on to defend elite 2s, and then close games out in 2 situations:

AD/Melo/Bron/WB or AD/Bron/WB/Bradley or Ariza (for D).

We need that 5th guy (at minimum) who can be put with the above lineups. We need a starting 2 who defends elite 2s, and can hold his own. Then, close with the best offensive (Probably with Melo) or defensive (With Bradley or Ariza) lineups in the death.

Ideally we have two starting level players, but that may be asking for too much as we maybe don't have the assets. But one move for a starting level player is the difference in losing in the 1st round or having a shot at making the WCF/Finals, IMO. I've watched almost all the games, it's very clear we sorely miss this kind of consistent player.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:50 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Anthony Davis said the Lakers had a conversation about the team they wanted to be at halftime. That conversation helped spark the second-half run in which they held the Kings to just 33 points over the final 24 minutes.

23 games in…still having what type of team we want to be discussions? Yikes.
lurklurk
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:13 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Quote:
Anthony Davis said the Lakers had a conversation about the team they wanted to be at halftime. That conversation helped spark the second-half run in which they held the Kings to just 33 points over the final 24 minutes.

Nah, there was no question about the kind of team they wanted to be. They discussed the needed effort and execution to be the team they wanted to be. It was clear on the dwight howard interview.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:48 am    Post subject:

One of the issues with this team is I feel the vets already want the playoffs to begin so they can go all in. But the RS is about preparing for the playoff tournament.

It's just that this team doesn't have that fire to prepare. They do a lot of talking about it, but not actual work. Yesterday they put in the work. Even then, I have little faith that until Bron himself develops that mindset, that his team will suddenly play this way.

Maybe they will take to WB's mindset. But even WB, seems to be joking around a lot more this year. The players just don't seem to get how fast things can change in a NBA season. A few injuries. Etc. You can't play with fire. Establish a good standing now and worry about the playoffs later. There's no guarantee that WB/AD/Bron will be healthy in March/Feb. We don't want to be a play in/bubble playoff team all year. Establish yourself within the playoffs now, and secure a position. The effort has to be there as if each game matters a lot.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:09 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
One of the issues with this team is I feel the vets already want the playoffs to begin so they can go all in. But the RS is about preparing for the playoff tournament.

It's just that this team doesn't have that fire to prepare. They do a lot of talking about it, but not actual work. Yesterday they put in the work. Even then, I have little faith that until Bron himself develops that mindset, that his team will suddenly play this way.

Maybe they will take to WB's mindset. But even WB, seems to be joking around a lot more this year. The players just don't seem to get how fast things can change in a NBA season. A few injuries. Etc. You can't play with fire. Establish a good standing now and worry about the playoffs later. There's no guarantee that WB/AD/Bron will be healthy in March/Feb. We don't want to be a play in/bubble playoff team all year. Establish yourself within the playoffs now, and secure a position. The effort has to be there as if each game matters a lot.

I think that's when players like Jared Dudley help your team. That "no BS" approach. Not being afraid to call out the big guys like AD or LBJ.

This team is still looking for their identity. Lots of new guys, new coaches, new roles, etc.
But at least they're not happy about losing. Frank and the players are on the same page, I think.

Things will only get better, health permitting.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:22 am    Post subject:

lurklurk wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Quote:

Nah, there was no question about the kind of team they wanted to be. They discussed the needed effort and execution to be the team they wanted to be. It was clear on the dwight howard interview.

I think we’re really underrating the DAJ benching
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:02 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Haynes: After the Lakers took care of the Sacramento Kings with the assistance of a 67-33 second-half trouncing en route to a 117-92 victory Tuesday, Anthony Davis spoke to Yahoo Sports on his evolution as a leader and what he’s expecting from his team with James sidelined.

“It’s like I’m being tested with my leadership,” Davis told Yahoo Sports following a team-high 25 points, along with seven boards and two blocks. “'Bron has been out with injuries and now also with the COVID situation, so it’s a good test for me. It's a good experience for me to lead these guys and the good thing about it, I have other vets on my side who’ve been in the game for a while to help me through the obstacles. It’s a good test, not just for our team, but for me to lead these guys.”

For now, in light of the James news, Davis said he didn’t feel the need to address the team on the priorities moving forward.

“I didn’t have to do that, but if need be, then obviously I will,” Davis told Yahoo Sports.

This season, Davis has been more vocal with teammates on the court and in expressing his frustration with the team’s early shortcomings. After getting routed by the Minnesota Timberwolves on Nov. 12, Davis didn’t hold back his disdain for their performance. “We sucked,” he said. “ ... We’re not winning a championship the way we’re playing.”

Davis, who is averaging 24.3 points, 10 rebounds and 2.3 blocks this season, was identified by many teammates as the one who consistently holds guys accountable and offers constructive criticism. The dustup he had with Dwight Howard early in the season is an example of how he’s becoming more comfortable speaking his mind.

And with James expected to be away at minimum 10 days, on top of missing 12 of the team’s 23 games due to injuries and a one-game suspension, Davis is getting a jump-start on being the Lakers’ unquestioned leader.

“I’m just taking that next step in leadership to my career,” Davis told Yahoo Sports. “I’m going to lead the team my way. I’m trying to be one of the guys to express how he feels in our locker room. [Rajon] Rondo, ’Melo [Anthony], Russ [Westbrook] have all been encouraging me to use my voice because I’m normally a really quiet guy when I’m playing and the only time I really talk is when I get tipped over the edge. But they’ve been telling me to ‘Use your voice. Use your voice.’”

And despite the team’s 12-11 start and the frustrating remarks that have ensued from many of the losses, Davis said he’s going to be critical when he needs to, but has conveyed to the team that there is plenty of time to turn their season around.

“I’m going to be the guy who speaks his mind whether it’s in the media or the locker room,” Davis told Yahoo Sports. “But it’s because I’m trying to help the team breathe confidence in these guys. Obviously, I was here when we won the title, so I’m telling them it’s a long season and just using my knowledge and my experience to help these guys out. The good thing about us, we’ve got a veteran group. All these guys already know what we have to do, which is a good thing. Now the younger group, I’m just telling them, ‘We’re OK. Just keep [pushing on].’ We’ve got a lot of guys who know what they’re supposed to do on and off the floor, especially when you’re missing a guy like that.”

Davis said he spoke with James Tuesday morning after the team got word that James would be in the protocols. Davis said James is feeling fine and shared he’s currently asymptomatic. That news was encouraging, and Davis said he was at peace.

However, Davis treated the day like he typically does on game day by not taking many calls or answering texts. That’s a ritual not even James can penetrate.

“He actually texted me later and I didn’t even respond,” Davis said while chuckling. “He knows I got a game tonight. But seriously when we spoke earlier, we didn’t really talk about basketball. I just checked in on him and made sure he was cool. When it comes to him right now, I’m not even worried about basketball. I’m worried about making sure he’s OK.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/anthony-davis-finding-his-voice-while-stepping-into-lakers-leadership-role-with-lebron-james-out-182949790.html

Sina
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:09 am    Post subject:

It seems the Lakers have not settled in their rotation yet.
lurklurk
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:51 pm    Post subject:

Sina wrote:
It seems the Lakers have not settled in their rotation yet.

The two injured guys, ariza and nunn, are both going to be part of their core rotation. Ariza most likely will be ending games (if not a starter as well) while nunn will be the primary backup at point guard.
textbook
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:35 am    Post subject:

A lot of talk but there needs to be action. If half the population is calling AD soft then you know many of the guys in that locker room feel the same. He needs to break out of his shell and blossom into his potential. He can literally be the number one guy in the entire NBA if he was aggressive. Plain and simple. AD with that killer mindset and effort is unstoppable on both offense and defense.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:22 am    Post subject:

"Less talk more action"

Anthony Davis last 12 games

25.3 PPG
9.2 REB
3.4 AST
1.7 STL
2.4 BLK
1.9 TOV
53.3% Field Goal
24.0% Three Point
72.2% Free Throw

His most efficient stretch of the season AND season in general thus far since 2017.

I don't know how much more you want AD to "show". He hasn't been the problem.

Neither has Westbrook been the problem as here's a look at his last 12 games

Russell Westbrook last 12 games of this season

22.4 PPG
7.7 REB
8.7 AST
1.2 STL
0.3 BLK
4.3 TOV
47.8% Field Goal
34.5% Three Point
71.3% Free Throw

Want to know the REAL problem?

I can take a 12 game stretch from both AD and Westbrook to show how they've turned a corner positively this season.

I can't however take a 12 game stretch from LeBron James and compare it to his first 11 games of the season. Why? Because LeBron hasn't even played 12 games this season. He's played 11.

THAT is the bigger problem more than ANYTHING else. Stop blaming AD, stop blaming Westbrook. The biggest problem the Lakers have had this year is that LeBron has been unable to stay on the court. Bar none there hasn't been a bigger impact made on our team than that. LeBron has yet to play longer than a 3 game stretch this entire season. That should spell it out right there.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:34 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
"Less talk more action"

25.3 PPG
9.2 REB
3.4 AST
1.7 STL
2.4 BLK
1.9 TOV
53.3% Field Goal
24.0% Three Point
72.2% Free Throw

His most efficient stretch of the season AND season in general thus far since 2017.

22.4 PPG
7.7 REB
8.7 AST
1.2 STL
0.3 BLK
4.3 TOV
47.8% Field Goal
34.5% Three Point
71.3% Free Throw

I can take a 12 game stretch from both AD and Westbrook to show how they've turned a corner positively this season.

I can't however take a 12 game stretch from LeBron James and compare it to his first 11 games of the season. Why? Because LeBron hasn't even played 12 games this season. He's played 11.

THAT is the bigger problem more than ANYTHING else. Stop blaming AD, stop blaming Westbrook. The biggest problem the Lakers have had this year is that LeBron has been unable to stay on the court. Bar none there hasn't been a bigger impact made on our team than that. LeBron has yet to play longer than a 3 game stretch this entire season. That should spell it out right there.

the only issue we had this season is defense, and guys take time to get use to the agressive Vogel defense scheme. monk/ellington/melo has been improving on D, while Dwight does that already. teams were getting easy layups and open 3s on us whenever they felt like it. the small lineups should not be on the court for more than 20 minutes especially with no lebron. the lebron at 5 thing is kind of stupid especially against teams with legit big guys. we blew out the kings last game, but holmes and Metu looked like TD and David Robinson out there.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:40 am    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
MJST wrote:
"Less talk more action"

25.3 PPG
9.2 REB
3.4 AST
1.7 STL
2.4 BLK
1.9 TOV
53.3% Field Goal
24.0% Three Point
72.2% Free Throw

22.4 PPG
7.7 REB
8.7 AST
1.2 STL
0.3 BLK
4.3 TOV
47.8% Field Goal
34.5% Three Point
71.3% Free Throw

the only issue we had this season is defense, and guys take time to get use to the agressive Vogel defense scheme. monk/ellington/melo has been improving on D, while Dwight does that already. teams were getting easy layups and open 3s on us whenever they felt like it. the small lineups should not be on the court for more than 20 minutes especially with no lebron. the lebron at 5 thing is kind of stupid especially against teams with legit big guys. we blew out the kings last game, but holmes and Metu looked like TD and David Robinson out there.

And that is why Deandre Jordan got benched. As he should have been all year. Imo Dwight should be starting and Jordan should be coming off the bench.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1105, 1106, 1107 ... 1425, 1426, 1427  Next
Page 1106 of 1427
Jump to: