Official ANTHONY DAVIS Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 66, 67, 68 ... 1425, 1426, 1427  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:38 am    Post subject:

^ I think yinoma brought up some realistic alternatives that I didn't intitially consider.

Middleton
Tobias Harris
... players of that ilk.

I think the bottom line is you don't acquire Lebron and then kick the can down the road waiting for a pipe dream to materialize.

Now if we strike out on those guys too -- yeah, we'll probably have to punt.
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:38 am    Post subject:

methdxman wrote:
Do I need to go to the doctor if I've had an erection for about 14 hours? Asking for a friend.

You need to apply leeches. I asked my fiend Vitti
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:39 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Bballguru5000 wrote:
With reports of Klay now interested in joining the team IF the Lakers get the brow and IF the Warriors don't pay him the max, which there is a good chance they will not, the f.o. has to go all in on this.

The Warriors will offer him the max

If the Lakers get AD...and KD leaves for NY...Klay would come here in a heartbeat for the max. Klay, Steph and Draymond isn't enough to win it all anymore.
Bballguru5000
Star Player
Star Player

Location: Born and Raised in Los Angeles, now living in Manhattan, NY.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:39 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Bballguru5000 wrote:
With reports of Klay now interested in joining the team IF the Lakers get the brow and IF the Warriors don't pay him the max, which there is a good chance they will not, the f.o. has to go all in on this.

I didn't know you were in the Warriors front office. My bad.
24Legend007
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:40 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Bballguru5000 wrote:

Not wishing but he is due to miss some significant time. Klay is not a machine. Alot of minutes, he's getting older. I wouldnt be upset if we didnt get him I wouldnt be mad if we did sort of thing.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

32 wrote:
This isn't some kind of game. Rich Paul is not F'ng around.

He is at the mercy of the Pelicans management, they determine AD’s fate. And their response to him was basically FU, so he shouldn’t expect them to see things his way. He has poisoned their relationship to the Pelicans.
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

Bballguru5000 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Bballguru5000 wrote:

I didn't know you were in the Warriors front office. My bad.

Hes in the Im here to fart on your cake office.
UKUGA
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:41 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
For me, it's not AD or bust.

We have 38m in cap space sitting for the summer.

Correct.

People just get nervous because of the number of guys who have spurned LA when we've had that cap room.

I certainly see the landscape being different today than it was from 2013-2017, but there are people out there convinced that none of the top guys in 2019 are going to sign with the Lakers, for one reason or another.

They have merged Lebron into the Kobe-narrative of "no one wants to play with him."

I understood it with post-Achilles Kobe, but I don't see it so much with Lebron.

Everything is set up for a guy to come and win with the Lebron, and then be the face of LA when Lebron retires.
24Legend007
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:41 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Bballguru5000 wrote:

If the Lakers get AD...and KD leaves for NY...Klay would come here in a heartbeat for the max. Klay, Steph and Draymond isn't enough to win it all anymore.

Especially with their miles. Not everyone has Lebron type genes.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:44 am    Post subject:

UKUGA wrote:

I'm just asking who the people are that you would sign or trade for this summer and forego obtaining Davis in 2020.

Some would suggest that if we don't land one of those guys this summer, that we start putting together a team with "lesser" talent (although upgrades over what we have now), whether via trade, or free agency.

However, this might mean extending past 2020, and eating up next summer's cap room.

So again, moving away from just signing guys to one year-deals.

Who are the people that would qualify for that?

Is there anyone?

Or, is this truly a matter of

AD
Durant
KL
Klay
Kyrie

or One-year deals and another year of waiting.

There are some who would suggest that it's time to move forward if one of those five isn't a Laker by this summer.

Ok.

Yeah, it's really up to LeBron. If LeBron wants Kemba, they'll go with Kemba. If LeBron wants to wait for AD, they'll wait for AD.

Waiting for 2020 is a last resort due to LeBron's age. That gives us a 1 yr window? LeBron will be 35 turning 36 that yr.

We possibly might get 2 cracks at the title when LeBron's 36-37, but that's probably it.

It's like Houston. Houston might come out of the Chris Paul trade with only one crack at the title.

Last edited by LongBeachPoly on Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:46 am; edited 1 time in total
24Legend007
Star Player
Star Player

Remember the days when players like Kobe didnt need a team full of superstars to make the finals?
UKUGA
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

ringfinger wrote:
^ I think yinoma brought up some realistic alternatives that I didn't intitially consider.

Middleton
Tobias Harris
... players of that ilk.

I think the bottom line is you don't acquire Lebron and then kick the can down the road waiting for a pipe dream to materialize.

Yes. I generally agree with this. And I think that with what we have seen out of "healthy" Lebron thus far, we absolutely can compete for a title with the right pieces around him. Something above what we have now, even if we fall short of one of the elite names out there.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:45 am    Post subject:

Maybe its me but the tone here is that Rich Paul is ruthless, that the Pels hate him, he's evil, etc...

I think he and his client are doing the Pels a good deed by telling them now so they can plan for the future...

I don't see Rich Paul as the devil like some people are saying....

maybe I am blind...but what is the difference between Paul and what happened with PG13 and Kawhi?
UKUGA
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:45 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
UKUGA wrote:

I'm just asking who the people are that you would sign or trade for this summer and forego obtaining Davis in 2020.

Some would suggest that if we don't land one of those guys this summer, that we start putting together a team with "lesser" talent (although upgrades over what we have now), whether via trade, or free agency.

However, this might mean extending past 2020, and eating up next summer's cap room.

Is there anyone?

Or, is this truly a matter of

AD
Durant
KL
Klay
Kyrie

or One-year deals and another year of waiting.

There are some who would suggest that it's time to move forward if one of those five isn't a Laker by this summer.

Ok.

Yeah, it's really up to LeBron. If LeBron wants Kemba, they'll go with Kemba. If LeBron wants to wait for AD, they'll wait for AD.

Waiting for 2020 is a last resort due to LeBron's age. That gives us a 1 yr window? LeBron will be 35 turning 36 that yr.

We possibly might get 2 cracks at the title when LeBron's 36-37, but that's probably it.

That's what I think, too.
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:46 am    Post subject:

MIMLaker wrote:
Is it a foregone conclusion that KCP would not be part of any trade package for AD? I realize he's a Klutch client, but given that:

(a) he has the 2nd-highest salary on our books this year, and AD makes around $25M,
(b) he's a last-year contract and NO would presumably want cap space flexibility for a rebuild,
(c) we've already overpaid him 2 years in a row to help sign LeBron,
(d) with Lonzo down, Rondo is our only remaining PG on the roster, and
(e) I doubt Maginka would want Klutch representing 1/4 of our roster...

...I figured KCP would have to be part of any package we make.

yinoma2001 wrote:
For me, it's not AD or bust.

We have 38m in cap space sitting for the summer.

Agreed. Everyone and their mother knows how good AD is... but I still reservations about how many players the Pelicans will demand... and how Maginka is going to fill the roster after. I don't want the roster being filled with a bunch of Klutch's bad clients who might get over-paid in the process... like KCP on 15.6m or Kosta Koufos. On the other hand... if he can arrange for some of the good ones to come at contracts that help us put together a great 12-man roster, then I'll be ecstatic, of course. Nerlens Noel might be an okay candidate if he signs on for Zubac money to replace Zubac. Perhaps, Eric Bledsoe too, if we can get him cheap. I really don't know... just voicing my concerns. Here's a copy/paste list of all Klutch's clients, if anyone's interested in trying to fill out our roster with them.

Lebron James, Los Angeles Lakers
Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, Los Angeles Lakers
John Wall, Washington Wizards
Anthony Davis, New Orleans Pelicans
Tristan Thompson, Cleveland Cavaliers
J.R. Smith, Cleveland Cavaliers
Eric Bledsoe, Milwaukee Bucks
Norris Cole, Maccabi Tel Aviv B.C.
Cory Joseph, Indiana Pacers
Trey Lyles, Denver Nuggets
Ben McLemore, Sacramento Kings
Kosta Koufos, Sacramento Kings
Montrezl Harrell, Los Angeles Clippers
Ben Simmons, Philadelphia 76ers
Dejounte Murray, San Antonio Spurs
Shabazz Muhammad, Shanxi Brave Dragons
Terrance Ferguson, Oklahoma City Thunder
Nerlens Noel, Oklahoma City Thunder
Miles Bridges, Charlotte Hornets
Marcus Morris, Boston Celtics
Markieff Morris, Washington Wizards

Last edited by LAL1947 on Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:53 am; edited 3 times in total
24Legend007
Star Player
Star Player

UKUGA wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Middleton
Tobias Harris
... players of that ilk.

Yes. I generally agree with this. And I think that with what we have seen out of "healthy" Lebron thus far, we absolutely can compete for a title with the right pieces around him. Something above what we have now, even if we fall short of one of the elite names out there.

Harris Middleston, Vucevic, Mirotic come to mind.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

Not to open up another can of worms here, but, if it becomes clear we can't trade for AD now, does anyone think it's possible we'd move Brandon to clear additional cap space for a big offseason push?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

Quote:

Is there anyone?

1. go after KD, KL, Klay, maybe Kyrie, etc ("Tier 1").
2. If they pass, I'd be open to signing Middleton, Tobias, Kemba, etc. ("Tier 2").
3. fill the team out with a room exception vet, ring chasing minimum deals, and 6m in cap space depending on whether we sign a 10+ year vet (KD) or 7-9 year vet (the rest). If latter we could have up to 6-8m in cap space depending on the price.

I find it hard that EVERYONE of them would pass. So you sign one of those guys AND you still have the young guys to keep or trade later.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:47 am    Post subject:

Tom Brady is playing for a superbowl at age 41. Don't estimate how long Lebron is gonna last. Barring any serious injury, a 40-year-old Lebron could still be top 20 player.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:48 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Tom Brady is playing for a superbowl at age 41. Don't estimate how long Lebron is gonna last. Barring any serious injury, a 40-year-old Lebron could still be top 20 player.

If Lebron just had to stand there and dish off passes, I could see it. But Brady in the running back role and do you think he'd last? Not a very good comparison.
BlackStarMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:48 am    Post subject:

at the end of the day, not trading with the Lakers ends up well for teams..lol

Pacers 3rd in the East
Spurs still competing
who else
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:49 am    Post subject:

So say we miss out on the Tier 1 guys, and sign Middleton. You don't think this team can compete (assuming KD leaves the Warriors of course).

Lonzo/Rondo (room)
Middleton/BI/Hart
LBJ
Kuz
Zubac/Tyson (min)

We'd have 5-8m in cap space to add other pieces (Taj, Ariza?).

That's a competitive team that you can have instead of a punt team. If you punt you get dramatically lesser players on 1 year deals.
24Legend007
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:49 am    Post subject:

BlackStarMamba wrote:
at the end of the day, not trading with the Lakers ends up well for teams..lol

Pacers 3rd in the East
Spurs still competing
who else

Well NO ending up getting AD, but look at where that has gotten them.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:50 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:

Drew Brees is also 40 yrs old.

Can you name one NBA player that was top 20 at age 40?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:51 am    Post subject:

UKUGA wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
UKUGA wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
UKUGA wrote:
And to be fair, there is a big difference between AD, represented by Klutch, saying he will leave for LA after 2020, and George ('18) or Kawhi ('19) threatening the same thing.

What's the difference though?

All were under contract the next year and played out the year. We know what happened with PG, and KL is to be determined.

Forcing trades to the Lakers is a very difficult move.

The difference is the agent (which is what I referenced in my post). He has a good relationship with the FO and his premier client plays for the Lakers.

If AD gets traded elsewhere and doesn't plan to come to LA, he will tell them that this summer after said trade, allowing them to make other moves.

This is for Lebron, as much as anything.

That's the difference.

Doesn't matter. We thought PG would hate OKC, but he fell in love with WB and he stayed.

What's to prevent AD from joining the Celts, getting to the Finals and saying that he has "unfinished business."

Again. It's the agent.

I'm well aware of what happened with George and what is likely happening with Kawhi.

But with George, there was always the reality there that he had an agent that Pelinka did not get along with.

They jacked with Randle all last season.

The traded Russell.

How many Mintz clients are now on the Lakers roster?

Paul gives you insight into James and Davis, along with his own desire to see both of those guys in LA.

If Davis gets traded elsewhere (still very likely), then I envision Paul being very upfront with the Lakers this summer about his intentions after 2020, so they can make moves accordingly.

Even before a trade is made, the agents and front offices have insight into whether or not a deal is likely/possible. If Boston or New York is the front-runner this summer, and AD and Paul believe that he would consider that long-term, then they will let the Lakers know that this summer so the Lakers can plan accordingly.

It doesn’t work that way. Nothing AD says in the offseason would be binding in 2020. He can tell the Lakers that he intends to sign as a FA, like the team he is traded to, and re-sign there instead.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 66, 67, 68 ... 1425, 1426, 1427  Next
Page 67 of 1427
Jump to: