Official ANTHONY DAVIS Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 770, 771, 772 ... 1423, 1424, 1425  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:24 am    Post subject:

Chick's Magic Johnson wrote:
ocho wrote:
Sorry if I missed it, but did AD ever say or hint at the fact that he would re-sign with the Lakers? I thought that was the deal from the beginning, but the portion of the press conference I watched AD did not commit and basically said, let's talk FA after the season. Please tell me I missed something.

Davis and his agent have been consistent with their comments both before and after the trade: Davis will opt out and enter Free Agency. He has never committed to the Lakers long term or even hinted that he will stay. We can surmise that it's a given considering his relationship with LeBron and the fact that we were essentially his sole focus as a destination post-Pelicans, but we simply won't know for sure until next summer. There's little in it for him to commit verbally. Doing that didn't stop the press from asking Kyrie all year.

Thanks. That's what I thought and good lord is that a terrifying thought. If AD bails after this year with two picks and a swap owed to NO, is going to be a big problem. I'll focus on the positive now, but (bleep) that was a ridiculous price to pay for a 1 year rental.

Nothing in free agency is ever guaranteed. Players have all the power in the NBA right now.
Chick's Magic Johnson
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:29 am    Post subject:

ElginBaylor wrote:
ocho wrote:
Sorry if I missed it, but did AD ever say or hint at the fact that he would re-sign with the Lakers? I thought that was the deal from the beginning, but the portion of the press conference I watched AD did not commit and basically said, let's talk FA after the season. Please tell me I missed something.

Davis and his agent have been consistent with their comments both before and after the trade: Davis will opt out and enter Free Agency. He has never committed to the Lakers long term or even hinted that he will stay. We can surmise that it's a given considering his relationship with LeBron and the fact that we were essentially his sole focus as a destination post-Pelicans, but we simply won't know for sure until next summer. There's little in it for him to commit verbally. Doing that didn't stop the press from asking Kyrie all year.

Thanks. That's what I thought and good lord is that a terrifying thought. If AD bails after this year with two picks and a swap owed to NO, is going to be a big problem. I'll focus on the positive now, but (bleep) that was a ridiculous price to pay for a 1 year rental.

Nothing in free agency is ever guaranteed. Players have all the power in the NBA right now.

I totally agree and understand, but the price we paid for Davis should have reflected that uncertainty. I kept seeing all those reports that he would only re-sign with the Lakers ... that's just gone now?
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject:

ElginBaylor wrote:
ocho wrote:

I totally agree and understand, but the price we paid for Davis should have reflected that uncertainty. I kept seeing all those reports that he would only re-sign with the Lakers ... that's just gone now?

This was the main issue people had with the trade. We are all thrilled to have Davis, but he was an expiring contract and Rich Paul nuked the rest of the trade market. We paid a premium price for a discounted asset and we were the only real buyer on the lot. The Clippers gave a ton of future draft assets but got Leonard and George each for at least two seasons. I'm not that worried about Davis leaving. It would take a mega disaster of a season, but as we've seen, that can happen even if it's unlikely.
KOBEWEST
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:38 am    Post subject:

ElginBaylor wrote:
ocho wrote:

This bothered me for a minute , but then I got to thinking what are his options next summer ? Does anyone even have cap space to sign him , and if so are they even an option that’s better than the Lakers ?
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:52 am    Post subject:

KOBEWEST wrote:
ElginBaylor wrote:
ocho wrote:

This bothered me for a minute , but then I got to thinking what are his options next summer ? Does anyone even have cap space to sign him , and if so are they even an option that’s better than the Lakers ?

He's a Laker for life...anyone else who thinks otherwise is just naive. He forced a trade here...he loves LA.....he's with Klutch and with Bron...no way on earth Klutch leaves LeBron hanging after working so hard to get this done.....having said that it would still be stupid on AD's part to commit right now...Keep the FO on notice to continue to improve this roster.
AshesToAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:57 am    Post subject:

Everyone always brings up every fact related to the AD trade except for the important one:

NOP would not have traded him for your package.

So if you want to continue bashing the FO about the trade, then take the stance you don't want AD here as well.

If you like having AD here, which means having him now (because nothing in future was guaranteed; including his choice to sign with Lakers in fA), then realize theres always a premium to be paid for getting what you want WHEN you want it.
Chick's Magic Johnson
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:57 am    Post subject:

KOBEWEST wrote:
ElginBaylor wrote:
ocho wrote:

Atlanta, Memphis and Toronto have space, but even those that don't would get creative to make space for AD. For instance, would you spend three first round picks to clear cap to land AD?

Oh well, I don't want to be chicken little here, I was just really shocked to not hear AD commit beyond this year.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:13 am    Post subject:

When is the earliest we can offer him an extension?

I bet he signs a 2+1 like Kawhi, so he can get his 10yr 35% max.
Shoot Like Kobe
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:55 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Shoot Like Kobe wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
Car54 wrote:
I don’t think people understand how good AD is he gets 50 with ease. And he’s capable of dominating the perimeter and inside.

This is how I find myself feeling. I don't know how many full games I've actually watched AD play. I know he's a stud and I've seen the stats. But I don't think I'll understand how good he is until I see it every game next season.

I’ve watched a lot and good numbers with not much winning. Part of the problem is that he has had issues staying on the court. Hopefully he can consistently be available.

If you've watched a lot then you would know he hasn't had good teams.

He has had some teams that were good enough to make the playoffs. But as long as we aren’t relying on him to lead us that shouldn’t matter. We have Lebron for that.

In your opinion.
FanOfFour
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:49 pm    Post subject:

Shoot Like Kobe wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Shoot Like Kobe wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
Car54 wrote:
I don’t think people understand how good AD is he gets 50 with ease. And he’s capable of dominating the perimeter and inside.

This is how I find myself feeling. I don't know how many full games I've actually watched AD play. I know he's a stud and I've seen the stats. But I don't think I'll understand how good he is until I see it every game next season.

I’ve watched a lot and good numbers with not much winning. Part of the problem is that he has had issues staying on the court. Hopefully he can consistently be available.

He has had some teams that were good enough to make the playoffs. But as long as we aren’t relying on him to lead us that shouldn’t matter. We have Lebron for that.

In your opinion.

It's because people are going off of what they seem to remember those teams were comprised of instead of what actually happened that season. See the rosters below. Only players listed are ones who freakin' played more than half the season. If you can't play half the season, your impact is negligible towards making the playoffs. So no Boogie is listed.

Player, Games Played, Scoring Average

Let's start with 2016:

Dante Cunningham 80 6.1
Alonzo Gee 73 4.5
Ömer Aşık 68 4.0
Ryan Anderson 66 17.0
Jrue Holiday 65 16.8
Anthony Davis 61 24.3
Toney Douglas 61 8.7
Alexis Ajinça 59 6.0
Luke Babbitt 47 7.0
Eric Gordon 45 16.7

2017:
Solomon Hill 80 7.0
Anthony Davis 75 28.0
E'Twaun Moore 73 9.6
Jrue Holiday 67 15.4
Dante Cunningham 66 6.6
Tim Frazier 65 7.1
Buddy Hield 57 8.6
Langston Galloway 55 8.6
Terrence Jones 51 11.5

2019:

Julius Randle 73 21.4
Darius Miller 69 8.2
Jrue Holiday 67 21.2
Cheick Diallo 64 6.0
Frank Jackson 61 8.1
Ian Clark 60 6.7
Jahlil Okafor 59 8.2
Anthony Davis 56 25.9
E'Twaun Moore 53 11.9
Tim Frazier 47 5.0
Kenrich Williams 46 6.1
Solomon Hill 44 4.3

These are playoff team rosters? In the WEST? C'mon now, be realistic. If you want to complain about missing games, that's fine. We can all agree on that. But AD played 75 games in two successive seasons prior to last season, when we know dang well he wasn't injured for 26 games. After he made his trade demand he played 22mpg vs 36mpg and sat so the Pelicans could protect their trade asset.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:52 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
Car54 wrote:

Shut up because you was singing his praises and trashing Boogie a year ago.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:55 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

Which of those teams do you feel were good enough to make the playoffs but didn't?
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:56 pm    Post subject:

ElginBaylor wrote:
ocho wrote:

It’s not gone now he’s just making sure he keeps his power.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:00 pm    Post subject:

AshesToAshes wrote:
Everyone always brings up every fact related to the AD trade except for the important one:

NOP would not have traded him for your package.

So if you want to continue bashing the FO about the trade, then take the stance you don't want AD here as well.

If you like having AD here, which means having him now (because nothing in future was guaranteed; including his choice to sign with Lakers in fA), then realize theres always a premium to be paid for getting what you want WHEN you want it.

This
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:01 pm    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:

He won’t do an extension he’s hitting free agency.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:25 pm    Post subject:

FanOfFour wrote:
Shoot Like Kobe wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Shoot Like Kobe wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
Car54 wrote:

In your opinion.

It's because people are going off of what they seem to remember those teams were comprised of instead of what actually happened that season. See the rosters below. Only players listed are ones who freakin' played more than half the season. If you can't play half the season, your impact is negligible towards making the playoffs. So no Boogie is listed.

Let's start with 2016:

Dante Cunningham 80 6.1
Alonzo Gee 73 4.5
Ömer Aşık 68 4.0
Ryan Anderson 66 17.0
Jrue Holiday 65 16.8
Anthony Davis 61 24.3
Toney Douglas 61 8.7
Alexis Ajinça 59 6.0
Luke Babbitt 47 7.0
Eric Gordon 45 16.7

2017:
Solomon Hill 80 7.0
Anthony Davis 75 28.0
E'Twaun Moore 73 9.6
Jrue Holiday 67 15.4
Dante Cunningham 66 6.6
Tim Frazier 65 7.1
Buddy Hield 57 8.6
Langston Galloway 55 8.6
Terrence Jones 51 11.5

2019:

Julius Randle 73 21.4
Darius Miller 69 8.2
Jrue Holiday 67 21.2
Cheick Diallo 64 6.0
Frank Jackson 61 8.1
Ian Clark 60 6.7
Jahlil Okafor 59 8.2
Anthony Davis 56 25.9
E'Twaun Moore 53 11.9
Tim Frazier 47 5.0
Kenrich Williams 46 6.1
Solomon Hill 44 4.3

These are playoff team rosters? In the WEST? C'mon now, be realistic. If you want to complain about missing games, that's fine. We can all agree on that. But AD played 75 games in two successive seasons prior to last season, when we know dang well he wasn't injured for 26 games. After he made his trade demand he played 22mpg vs 36mpg and sat so the Pelicans could protect their trade asset.

Jrue is a fine player now but he had that stretch I believe in '16 and '17 where he really wasn't very good at all. The numbers don't do it justice, I watched a fair amount of his games and he was completely out of sorts. Obviously he had a lot on his mind with his family situation and I'm glad that he's doing better now.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
FanOfFour
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:39 pm    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
FanOfFour wrote:

Let's start with 2016:

Dante Cunningham 80 6.1
Alonzo Gee 73 4.5
Ömer Aşık 68 4.0
Ryan Anderson 66 17.0
Jrue Holiday 65 16.8
Anthony Davis 61 24.3
Toney Douglas 61 8.7
Alexis Ajinça 59 6.0
Luke Babbitt 47 7.0
Eric Gordon 45 16.7

2017:
Solomon Hill 80 7.0
Anthony Davis 75 28.0
E'Twaun Moore 73 9.6
Jrue Holiday 67 15.4
Dante Cunningham 66 6.6
Tim Frazier 65 7.1
Buddy Hield 57 8.6
Langston Galloway 55 8.6
Terrence Jones 51 11.5

2019:

Julius Randle 73 21.4
Darius Miller 69 8.2
Jrue Holiday 67 21.2
Cheick Diallo 64 6.0
Frank Jackson 61 8.1
Ian Clark 60 6.7
Jahlil Okafor 59 8.2
Anthony Davis 56 25.9
E'Twaun Moore 53 11.9
Tim Frazier 47 5.0
Kenrich Williams 46 6.1
Solomon Hill 44 4.3

Jrue is a fine player now but he had that stretch I believe in '16 and '17 where he really wasn't very good at all. The numbers don't do it justice, I watched a fair amount of his games and he was completely out of sorts. Obviously he had a lot on his mind with his family situation and I'm glad that he's doing better now.

Yep, his wife, Lauren Holilday (USWNT soccer great) had brain surgery and Jrue missed time (new baby too) to support her. I'm a big UCLA guy, so I've followed his career. The point is, with so many players (particularly the only good ones) missing large stretches of time for the Pelicans, their lack of playoff participation is hardly AD's fault. So when I see (not just posters here) folks say AD should've led his team to more playoff appearances, it's a poor assumption based on the context of the team. Number 1, the rosters weren't that talented to begin with compared to the rest of the West. And number 2, when they did have talent on the roster, there were catastrophic injuries/circumstances which decimated the lineup.
Reilec142002
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:39 pm    Post subject:

Where else COULD AD go? I can't imagine the list of teams with enough cap space next year will be very large. Nor desirable destinations for him. He wants to compete for championships... Where else is there to go?
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:13 pm    Post subject:

FanOfFour wrote:
Shoot Like Kobe wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Shoot Like Kobe wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
Car54 wrote:

In your opinion.

Let's start with 2016:

Dante Cunningham 80 6.1
Alonzo Gee 73 4.5
Ömer Aşık 68 4.0
Ryan Anderson 66 17.0
Jrue Holiday 65 16.8
Anthony Davis 61 24.3
Toney Douglas 61 8.7
Alexis Ajinça 59 6.0
Luke Babbitt 47 7.0
Eric Gordon 45 16.7

2017:
Solomon Hill 80 7.0
Anthony Davis 75 28.0
E'Twaun Moore 73 9.6
Jrue Holiday 67 15.4
Dante Cunningham 66 6.6
Tim Frazier 65 7.1
Buddy Hield 57 8.6
Langston Galloway 55 8.6
Terrence Jones 51 11.5

2019:

Julius Randle 73 21.4
Darius Miller 69 8.2
Jrue Holiday 67 21.2
Cheick Diallo 64 6.0
Frank Jackson 61 8.1
Ian Clark 60 6.7
Jahlil Okafor 59 8.2
Anthony Davis 56 25.9
E'Twaun Moore 53 11.9
Tim Frazier 47 5.0
Kenrich Williams 46 6.1
Solomon Hill 44 4.3

Damn. No wonder he had his mind made up to get out of there.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:41 pm    Post subject:

Reilec142002 wrote:
Where else COULD AD go? I can't imagine the list of teams with enough cap space next year will be very large. Nor desirable destinations for him. He wants to compete for championships... Where else is there to go?

After all the free agent madness we just witnessed how can you think we have a clue what “ could” happen?

Who saw Paul, George or Westbrook trades? All the “sources “ that knew that the Lakers were the only logical choice for Leonard? Teams can and will move contracts to open up cap space for Davis if they are encouraged to do so.

Personally, I think it is some more diva BS that Davis announced he will be a free agent instead of committing.

Am I missing a financial point or is it the exact same offer by the Lakers for an extension or as a free agent? If no financial gain then what? Please correct me if he can make more once he is a FA. Leverage? Against a team that just traded away a roster and several future picks to prove their love? What more does he need?

I will be happy when this is over. It would be very disappointing if next summer he is discussing his FA options or mtgs. If he has always wanted to be a Laker, be a Laker.
Reilec142002
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:50 pm    Post subject:

This offseason was different. Tons and tons and tons of teams have cap space. Next offseason will be significantly different.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:33 pm    Post subject:

FanOfFour wrote:
manlisten wrote:
FanOfFour wrote:

Let's start with 2016:

Dante Cunningham 80 6.1
Alonzo Gee 73 4.5
Ömer Aşık 68 4.0
Ryan Anderson 66 17.0
Jrue Holiday 65 16.8
Anthony Davis 61 24.3
Toney Douglas 61 8.7
Alexis Ajinça 59 6.0
Luke Babbitt 47 7.0
Eric Gordon 45 16.7

2017:
Solomon Hill 80 7.0
Anthony Davis 75 28.0
E'Twaun Moore 73 9.6
Jrue Holiday 67 15.4
Dante Cunningham 66 6.6
Tim Frazier 65 7.1
Buddy Hield 57 8.6
Langston Galloway 55 8.6
Terrence Jones 51 11.5

2019:

Julius Randle 73 21.4
Darius Miller 69 8.2
Jrue Holiday 67 21.2
Cheick Diallo 64 6.0
Frank Jackson 61 8.1
Ian Clark 60 6.7
Jahlil Okafor 59 8.2
Anthony Davis 56 25.9
E'Twaun Moore 53 11.9
Tim Frazier 47 5.0
Kenrich Williams 46 6.1
Solomon Hill 44 4.3

Yep, his wife, Lauren Holilday (USWNT soccer great) had brain surgery and Jrue missed time (new baby too) to support her. I'm a big UCLA guy, so I've followed his career. The point is, with so many players (particularly the only good ones) missing large stretches of time for the Pelicans, their lack of playoff participation is hardly AD's fault. So when I see (not just posters here) folks say AD should've led his team to more playoff appearances, it's a poor assumption based on the context of the team. Number 1, the rosters weren't that talented to begin with compared to the rest of the West. And number 2, when they did have talent on the roster, there were catastrophic injuries/circumstances which decimated the lineup.

Great post right here
toffee
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:39 pm    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:

He'll sign 4+1 next summer with us.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:41 pm    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:

I can see that happening.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:34 pm    Post subject:

I cannot wait for AD's first laker game!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 770, 771, 772 ... 1423, 1424, 1425  Next
Page 771 of 1425
Jump to: