Official ANTHONY DAVIS Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 771, 772, 773 ... 1423, 1424, 1425  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheBrow03
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:34 pm    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
When is the earliest we can offer him an extension?

I bet he signs a 2+1 like Kawhi, so he can get his 10yr 35% max.

I can see that happening.

Agree he’ll do the 2+1 to get him to age 28 and 10 years in the league, then sign the 5 super max which will bring him to 33. In theory you’d like to time it so the super max brings you to age 35 - 36 (see CP3 and maybe Westbrook contracts) where teams wonder why they ever gave you that contract since it basically handcuffs your team. 30 seems the right age to sign your big ridiculous contract, so maybe he’ll do 2+1 then 2+1 then his 5?

I think the lock yourself into a long term contract whenever you can as insurance against injury days are gone as teams will take a flyer on you even if you’re injured (Durant, Klay). On the other hand though Boogies tale is cautionary as well, he should have locked in a big contract before he got hurt, now he’s just hopping from one small contract to another to “prove” he’s worthy of a big payday.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:37 am    Post subject:

AD was averaging monster numbers (29pts/13rb/4ast/2blks/1stl) before he requested a trade and the Pels limited his minutes. We have ungodly firepower and rebounding on our front line between him, Bron, and Boogie:

twisted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:58 am    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
Car54 wrote:
I don’t think people understand how good AD is he gets 50 with ease. And he’s capable of dominating the perimeter and inside.

This is how I find myself feeling. I don't know how many full games I've actually watched AD play. I know he's a stud and I've seen the stats. But I don't think I'll understand how good he is until I see it every game next season.

I’ve watched a lot and good numbers with not much winning. Part of the problem is that he has had issues staying on the court. Hopefully he can consistently be available.

Shut up because you was singing his praises and trashing Boogie a year ago.

thanks for chasing away the clippers troll
twisted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:00 am    Post subject:

AshesToAshes wrote:
Everyone always brings up every fact related to the AD trade except for the important one:

NOP would not have traded him for your package.

So if you want to continue bashing the FO about the trade, then take the stance you don't want AD here as well.

If you like having AD here, which means having him now (because nothing in future was guaranteed; including his choice to sign with Lakers in fA), then realize theres always a premium to be paid for getting what you want WHEN you want it.

Very well said.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:18 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Reilec142002 wrote:
Where else COULD AD go? I can't imagine the list of teams with enough cap space next year will be very large. Nor desirable destinations for him. He wants to compete for championships... Where else is there to go?

After all the free agent madness we just witnessed how can you think we have a clue what “ could” happen?

Who saw Paul, George or Westbrook trades? All the “sources “ that knew that the Lakers were the only logical choice for Leonard? Teams can and will move contracts to open up cap space for Davis if they are encouraged to do so.

Personally, I think it is some more diva BS that Davis announced he will be a free agent instead of committing.

Am I missing a financial point or is it the exact same offer by the Lakers for an extension or as a free agent? If no financial gain then what? Please correct me if he can make more once he is a FA. Leverage? Against a team that just traded away a roster and several future picks to prove their love? What more does he need?

I will be happy when this is over. It would be very disappointing if next summer he is discussing his FA options or mtgs. If he has always wanted to be a Laker, be a Laker.

It would be a terrible financial decision to extend now. He stands to make far more $ becoming a free agent and re-signing with the Lakers. Higher annual salary increases, probably does a deal to get him to the 10 year service mark too. I doubt he leaves. Yes, funny things happen, but he's been trying to become a Laker for some time now. He knows its his team soon.
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:46 am    Post subject:

i'd say unless AD decides he hates everyone in the organization, he's here for the long haul. even if next season doesn't meet expectations.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:56 am    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
Car54 wrote:
I don’t think people understand how good AD is he gets 50 with ease. And he’s capable of dominating the perimeter and inside.

This is how I find myself feeling. I don't know how many full games I've actually watched AD play. I know he's a stud and I've seen the stats. But I don't think I'll understand how good he is until I see it every game next season.

I’ve watched a lot and good numbers with not much winning. Part of the problem is that he has had issues staying on the court. Hopefully he can consistently be available.

Shut up because you was singing his praises and trashing Boogie a year ago.

As we all should be. AD is a top 10 talent but so far hasn’t shown that he can be a leader. He will be a good #2 with Lebron. Cousins has always been an out of shape malcontent who now is trying to prove relevance. Maybe try reading what others post instead of inserting what you want the post to say?
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:00 am    Post subject:

oaktown_dimond wrote:
i'd say unless AD decides he hates everyone in the organization, he's here for the long haul. even if next season doesn't meet expectations.

Considering how much say AD had in building this roster, I'd say the Lakers did as much as they could short of landing Kawhi.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:00 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Reilec142002 wrote:
Where else COULD AD go? I can't imagine the list of teams with enough cap space next year will be very large. Nor desirable destinations for him. He wants to compete for championships... Where else is there to go?

After all the free agent madness we just witnessed how can you think we have a clue what “ could” happen?

Who saw Paul, George or Westbrook trades? All the “sources “ that knew that the Lakers were the only logical choice for Leonard? Teams can and will move contracts to open up cap space for Davis if they are encouraged to do so.

Personally, I think it is some more diva BS that Davis announced he will be a free agent instead of committing.

Am I missing a financial point or is it the exact same offer by the Lakers for an extension or as a free agent? If no financial gain then what? Please correct me if he can make more once he is a FA. Leverage? Against a team that just traded away a roster and several future picks to prove their love? What more does he need?

I will be happy when this is over. It would be very disappointing if next summer he is discussing his FA options or mtgs. If he has always wanted to be a Laker, be a Laker.

It would be a terrible financial decision to extend now. He stands to make far more $ becoming a free agent and re-signing with the Lakers. Higher annual salary increases, probably does a deal to get him to the 10 year service mark too. I doubt he leaves. Yes, funny things happen, but he's been trying to become a Laker for some time now. He knows its his team soon.

Yes, I have no worry that he will leave.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:52 am    Post subject:

oaktown_dimond wrote:

Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject:

Chick's Magic Johnson wrote:
KOBEWEST wrote:
ElginBaylor wrote:
ocho wrote:
Sorry if I missed it, but did AD ever say or hint at the fact that he would re-sign with the Lakers? I thought that was the deal from the beginning, but the portion of the press conference I watched AD did not commit and basically said, let's talk FA after the season. Please tell me I missed something.

Davis and his agent have been consistent with their comments both before and after the trade: Davis will opt out and enter Free Agency. He has never committed to the Lakers long term or even hinted that he will stay. We can surmise that it's a given considering his relationship with LeBron and the fact that we were essentially his sole focus as a destination post-Pelicans, but we simply won't know for sure until next summer. There's little in it for him to commit verbally. Doing that didn't stop the press from asking Kyrie all year.

Thanks. That's what I thought and good lord is that a terrifying thought. If AD bails after this year with two picks and a swap owed to NO, is going to be a big problem. I'll focus on the positive now, but (bleep) that was a ridiculous price to pay for a 1 year rental.

Nothing in free agency is ever guaranteed. Players have all the power in the NBA right now.

I totally agree and understand, but the price we paid for Davis should have reflected that uncertainty. I kept seeing all those reports that he would only re-sign with the Lakers ... that's just gone now?

This bothered me for a minute , but then I got to thinking what are his options next summer ? Does anyone even have cap space to sign him , and if so are they even an option that’s better than the Lakers ?

Atlanta, Memphis and Toronto have space, but even those that don't would get creative to make space for AD. For instance, would you spend three first round picks to clear cap to land AD?

Oh well, I don't want to be chicken little here, I was just really shocked to not hear AD commit beyond this year.

But keep in mind we're talking about free agency here, not a trade. He's not walking away from the Lakers to sign with the Raptors, let alone the Hawks or the Grizzlies. He was in Atlanta and Memphis for the first six years of his career.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:55 am    Post subject:

I have not watched much NBA the past few years.. Kobe was my idol..

Anyhow.. I had no real idea how Amazing AD is..

Who cares what we gave up.. If you could've traded for Kobe how much would be too much to give up

This guy is absolutely unreal in talent and his burning desire to cut your heart out

From NBA official site
Anthony Davis' Top 25 Plays Of His Career!
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:05 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Reilec142002 wrote:

Obviously I am misunderstanding the max contract concept then. I thought the idea was that the Lakers as the current team could offer him more in years, annual increases and total.

Perhaps a quick primer on why he can make more money in free agency? How can another team offer more in years, total or annual increases?

Am I misunderstanding the extension? An extension can only be a limited amount not matching free agent levels?

Appreciate any help in understanding.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:08 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Reilec142002 wrote:

Obviously I am misunderstanding the max contract concept then. I thought the idea was that the Lakers as the current team could offer him more in years, annual increases and total.

Perhaps a quick primer on why he can make more money in free agency? How can another team offer more in years, total or annual increases?

Am I misunderstanding the extension? An extension can only be a limited amount not matching free agent levels?

Not before this summer though. He could only take a fraction of what he could earn once he hits free agency this summer. I don't have the numbers in front of me but he would stand to lose tens of millions if he extended NOW as opposed to next summer with the Lakers. That's why you never see it with the premium FAs (but we saw it with Bledsoe who wouldn't get anything near what he got).
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:22 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Reilec142002 wrote:

Not before this summer though. He could only take a fraction of what he could earn once he hits free agency this summer. I don't have the numbers in front of me but he would stand to lose tens of millions if he extended NOW as opposed to next summer with the Lakers. That's why you never see it with the premium FAs (but we saw it with Bledsoe who wouldn't get anything near what he got).

Interesting. I'm confused.

I was comparing to the new extension that Lilliard just signed. Both have same years of service. Both meet All star requirements. Does Davis getting traded from one team to another change the max equation? Thought Lakers assumed all the team's rights because of the trade. Contracts are all based on percentage of salary cap anyways, not subjective or arbitrary.

Why one but not the other signing an extension of monster proportions?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:29 am    Post subject:

If AD signed an extension he would be extending his current contract that was based on 25% of the cap at the time he signed. If he opts out after this season he can sign a new contract worth 30% of next year’s cap. That will be a much higher salary.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:38 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Reilec142002 wrote:

Interesting. I'm confused.

I was comparing to the new extension that Lilliard just signed. Both have same years of service. Both meet All star requirements. Does Davis getting traded from one team to another change the max equation? Thought Lakers assumed all the team's rights because of the trade. Contracts are all based on percentage of salary cap anyways, not subjective or arbitrary.

Why one but not the other signing an extension of monster proportions?

Lillard qualified for the super max based on certain criteria (i.e. all star/all nba, etc.). There are also rules about how long you have to be on the same team, etc. So AD would not qualify for that extension.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:46 am    Post subject:

Thanks for clarifying the contract issues for me.

If getting to free agency gets him the extra millions I can understand. Still won't make me any less concerned about him choosing elsewhere until he actually signs a contract though.

So many variables that could go right (or wrong) in his decision.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject:

Thanks for clarifying the contract issues for me.

If getting to free agency gets him the extra millions I can understand. Still won't make me any less concerned about him choosing elsewhere until he actually signs a contract though.

So many variables that could go right (or wrong) in his decision.

Yeah. He stands to lose a lot of $ if he extended now. I'm fairly certain we will retire his jersey in the rafters one of these days.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:52 am    Post subject:

Reilec142002 wrote:

I think he'll stay, but to just say that teams won't have cap space is a little misguided. We all know that most teams would just send off players/salary with draft picks to make room for someone of his caliber if they had the chance. Again, hopefully it doesn't come to that.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:00 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
“The second half of the season was a whirlwind and I didn’t play much. My goal goes is to be the first 100 rated @NBA2K player."

https://twitter.com/showtimeforum/status/1151210247056265216?s=21

👀
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:51 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Quote:
“The second half of the season was a whirlwind and I didn’t play much. My goal goes is to be the first 100 rated @NBA2K player."

https://twitter.com/showtimeforum/status/1151210247056265216?s=21

👀

Wow. He's been letting it rip. I like it.
Nnamdi21
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:58 pm    Post subject:

I didnt want Kawhi from the start because I just hate the super teams thing where there is no competition. But if AD were to leave next year it will be due to a aging star and no real young talent. I hope he re-ups next year. We'll be like 10 years away from rebuilding if he leaves without the draft picks
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:59 pm    Post subject:

If AD continues to improve as a playmaker, he will be the best player in the game. Nobody has his combination of size, skill, and athleticism.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:03 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
If AD signed an extension he would be extending his current contract that was based on 25% of the cap at the time he signed. If he opts out after this season he can sign a new contract worth 30% of next year’s cap. That will be a much higher salary.

I get it, but why not at least say that to allay fears? At least rhetorically he's leaving the window wide open that he might bolt.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 771, 772, 773 ... 1423, 1424, 1425  Next
Page 772 of 1425
Jump to: