Goodbye TALEN HORTON-TUCKER Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 57, 58, 59 ... 200, 201, 202  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:31 am    Post subject:

Laker4lifer4real wrote:
https://a.msn.com/r/2/BB1bjBjb?m=en-us&referrerID=InAppShare

With Lebron and AD likely needing more rest to start the season, I'm very much looking forward to seeing THT.

It will be interesting to see how Vogel integrates him in the rotation should he play well at the start. Who would lose the minutes in this scenario I wonder? Wes Matthews?
LaxT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:08 pm    Post subject:

THT expected to "have a role".

https://hoopshype.com/2020/11/24/los-angeles-lakers-talen-horton-tucker-rotation-depth-chart/
Laker4lifer4real
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:40 pm    Post subject:

https://lakeshowlife.com/2020/11/27/los-angeles-lakers-sleep-talen-horton-tucker/amp/
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:18 pm    Post subject:

For those that know his game what is the one aspect of it that you consider his calling card
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:03 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
For those that know his game what is the one aspect of it that you consider his calling card

I'll be honest, I don't know his game super well but I've seen a little bit, and read a lot, and noticed a pattern that can help answer your question. One "calling card", or distinction about his game, is his ability to get to the rim at will. He's got a very different physical makeup with a 6'2 1/2 w/o shoes, and 6'4 w/shoes, and 7 ft plus arms body.

He's strong as he_l and likes contact. He ain't afraid to mix it up when he drives. He's got a really unique game and the word is starting to grow that he's got a place in the rotation at this rate, and in these unique circumstances starting the RS early.

To have a smart coach like Vogel, be a Klutch client, and mentored by LeBron & AD, can only help accelerate his development.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:44 am    Post subject:

THT does not strike me as he does any one particular thing very well that he would get minutes on a NBA championship level team. This is not a development team, this is a team that needs niche role players.

To really get consistent minutes, he needs to be either a stand out shooter, defender, shot creator, passer/PG. He is none of those things, at first glance. Unless he has made radical improvements in his game since the bubble, I do not see how one can justify playing him regular rotation minutes.

Just look at our needs, and then tell me how it would make sense on playing THT over Kieff, Kuz or Caruso. Because one of those guys would need be sitting for THT to get minutes with a Trez/Schroder 2nd unit.

Not counting the kid out, but I saw him play just 2-3 months ago, and unless he has made some big improvements in one of the areas I mentioned above, I do not see the justification for him being a regular rotation guy over players that earned their spot last year. I don't mind him having the role Quinn Cook had last year (not the same position but those sort of minutes) but to be a consistent top 9 guy on a ring level team, I just don't see why so many people are high on him. Kieff is a better shooter, Kuz is a better scorer and has more size and Alex is our secret weapon. Trez/Schroder are new additions of two elite bench players in the league. Unless there are injuries or rest or changes in the regular rotation, at first glance I don't see how one can argue that THT deserves consistent minutes game in, game out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:11 am    Post subject:

Interview

THT working

LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:10 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
THT does not strike me as he does any one particular thing very well that he would get minutes on a NBA championship level team. This is not a development team, this is a team that needs niche role players.

To really get consistent minutes, he needs to be either a stand out shooter, defender, shot creator, passer/PG. He is none of those things, at first glance. Unless he has made radical improvements in his game since the bubble, I do not see how one can justify playing him regular rotation minutes.

Just look at our needs, and then tell me how it would make sense on playing THT over Kieff, Kuz or Caruso. Because one of those guys would need be sitting for THT to get minutes with a Trez/Schroder 2nd unit.

Not counting the kid out, but I saw him play just 2-3 months ago, and unless he has made some big improvements in one of the areas I mentioned above, I do not see the justification for him being a regular rotation guy over players that earned their spot last year. I don't mind him having the role Quinn Cook had last year (not the same position but those sort of minutes) but to be a consistent top 9 guy on a ring level team, I just don't see why so many people are high on him. Kieff is a better shooter, Kuz is a better scorer and has more size and Alex is our secret weapon. Trez/Schroder are new additions of two elite bench players in the league. Unless there are injuries or rest or changes in the regular rotation, at first glance I don't see how one can argue that THT deserves consistent minutes game in, game out.

He's nowhere near having "deserved" any minutes, or anything for that matter. Unless we have a 19 year old Magic type player on our hands, and we don't, there's a huge gap between the first 8 or 9 players in our rotation and THT.

I'll always reflect upon Phil Jackson's words when it comes to winning: "you win with men". Every player you've named, and I could easily add a couple more, is a "man" in the sense PJ meant it. THT, otoh, still's got a ways to go because it's a process that doesn't allowing the cutting of corners, neither can it be rushed.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:19 am    Post subject:

Quote:

He's a jack of all trades without specialization, but if there' above average ball handling, offensive awareness/playmaking, and the guy is happy doing spot ups and attacking closeouts, I don't see where the problem is for THT getting minutes on a championship squad.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:42 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

This has an underlying assumption that there are no injuries to the team. When there are injuries, the coach needs to go farther down the bench. I think most of both THT's and Kieff's minutes will come as a result of filling in for injured players.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:51 am    Post subject:

Rob got THT for #58 and cash. #Margins.
Laker4lifer4real
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:48 am    Post subject:

His strength is his handles. His reach is deceptive, ie why he got so many quick steals in limited minutes in NBA action. He can get hot from 3 and hit many in a row. Hard worker from Chicago. You don’t don’t make Playoff minutes at 19 just cause coach likes you. It’s laughable that his talent is dismissed by some of you when he has yet to really play. He fell in the draft due to a hairline foot fracture similar to what Trevor Ariza had that made him miss the 2008 NBA finals, missed Summer League, finally got his legs in the G league in December and January and was putting up 30+ in a lot of games. He was just hitting his stride when the league shut down all games. Rather than sit on his ass, he lost a ton of weight and got into great shape, eventually earning some run with the real team when play resumed in the bubble. I believe you all are going to be in for a pleasant surprise with him.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:29 pm    Post subject:

THT will get his fair share of minutes this season. I believe he's an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season and the Lakers need to figure out what they have with him.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:42 pm    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
THT will get his fair share of minutes this season. I believe he's an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season and the Lakers need to figure out what they have with him.

Give him at least 10 minutes and play him more when some our guys are out. I believed he’s a keeper just like Caruso is. We need to give him his chance at some point in the regular season.
SPO200
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:31 pm    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/los-angeles-lakers/talen-horton-tucker-31605/

Here it says that he is going to be a restricted free agent
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:23 pm    Post subject:

SPO200 wrote:
manlisten wrote:

He's restricted under the Arenas rule. If he plays well, the Lakers will be able to keep him.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:39 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
SPO200 wrote:
manlisten wrote:

He's restricted under the Arenas rule. If he plays well, the Lakers will be able to keep him.

with what salary?
we will be very limited on salaries
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:09 pm    Post subject:

Annihilator wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

This has an underlying assumption that there are no injuries to the team. When there are injuries, the coach needs to go farther down the bench. I think most of both THT's and Kieff's minutes will come as a result of filling in for injured players.

I made it clear on a regular basis. If there’s injuries/rest he can get Cook like minutes, which is fine with me.

The issue I had was the article alluded to him playing on the 2nd unit ahead of Kieff or Caruso. No way, based on what I saw in the bubble and before. He has some good size, and perhaps he can be a very effective defender in Vogel’s system, but outside of that I really didn’t see anything he did particularly well that will get him significant minutes on a championship level squad.

Heck, I am not sure even Kuzma deserves regular rotation minutes ... and he’s way more talented than THT. This is a very deep roster, but of course rest and injuries can change all of that. Just saying if I ranked the top 11 players on the Lakers, THT is 11th. How someone thinks this automatically qualifies as him as a regular rotation guy that makes the top 9 each game IDK.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:54 pm    Post subject:

THT if he has progressed could be our backup 2 this year. Morris is probably going to be our 3rd string Power Forward behind Davis and Kuzma.
twisted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:50 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
THT if he has progressed could be our backup 2 this year. Morris is probably going to be our 3rd string Power Forward behind Davis and Kuzma.

IMO Kuzma is our backup SF, Kieff is backup PF. THT is our 3rd string backup guard behind KCP and Matthews.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:06 pm    Post subject:

twisted wrote:
MJST wrote:

IMO Kuzma is our backup SF, Kieff is backup PF. THT is our 3rd string backup guard behind KCP and Matthews.

if THT is our backup 2 the bench lineup is

Alex Caruso
THT
Wes Matthews or KCP (whichever one that doesn't start)
Kyle Kuzma
Montrezl Harrell

With a lineup like that we really don't need Kieff as 2nd string, particularly asthe starting lineup would be

Dennis Shroeder
KCP or Wes Matthews(whichever one that doesn't start)
LeBron James
Anthony Davis
Marc Gasol

I'd say both of those would work essentially.

THT's handle, defensive length, finishing ability and upside would keep him from being third string this year if he's continued to progress. Only thing he's missing is a consistent three point shot.
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:29 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

I made it clear on a regular basis. If there’s injuries/rest he can get Cook like minutes, which is fine with me.

The issue I had was the article alluded to him playing on the 2nd unit ahead of Kieff or Caruso. No way, based on what I saw in the bubble and before. He has some good size, and perhaps he can be a very effective defender in Vogel’s system, but outside of that I really didn’t see anything he did particularly well that will get him significant minutes on a championship level squad.

Heck, I am not sure even Kuzma deserves regular rotation minutes ... and he’s way more talented than THT. This is a very deep roster, but of course rest and injuries can change all of that. Just saying if I ranked the top 11 players on the Lakers, THT is 11th. How someone thinks this automatically qualifies as him as a regular rotation guy that makes the top 9 each game IDK.

In a typical season, I think you would be right in that the regular rotation would not extend down to the 10th and 11th persons on the roster. This season, due to its more compressed nature--which could lead to more games missed due to injuries--and a larger concern that players will need to "load manage", I expect the regular rotation to extend to the 10th and 11th players. It will certainly be interesting to see how much this season differs from a typical season due to injuries, load managing, etc.

Last edited by Annihilator on Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Laker4lifer4real
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:51 am    Post subject:

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2020/11/28/report-lakers-clippers-among-four-teams-pursuing-glenn-robinson-iii/?partner=MSN

If the Lakers sign Glenn Robinson III, there won’t be enough minutes for THT to develop at the 2. It may unfortunately lead to Kuzma, KCP, and THT being packaged in a deal at some point in the season. Team has too much damn talent 😀.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:29 am    Post subject:

Laker4lifer4real wrote:
https://nba.nbcsports.com/2020/11/28/report-lakers-clippers-among-four-teams-pursuing-glenn-robinson-iii/?partner=MSN

If the Lakers sign Glenn Robinson III, there won’t be enough minutes for THT to develop at the 2. It may unfortunately lead to Kuzma, KCP, and THT being packaged in a deal at some point in the season. Team has too much damn talent 😀.

KCP was one of our top 4 guys in the playoffs last year, not only shutting down guys but shooting great from 3. If you're sending away KCP, Kuz, and THT, we'd better be getting a star back
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:02 pm    Post subject:

Laker4lifer4real wrote:

If we signed Glenn Robinson III he'd likely be our backup 3, which would be him going after either Wesley Matthews minutes or KCP's.

Either way, if we locked him up it'd mean watching KCP, or Kuzma at the Deadline. Mainly because of KCP's contract means he can finally be traded, and also because Kuzma is looking for an extension. It'd be a very interesting set of circumstances.

For Glenn however it comes down to these choices.

1) Bet on himself and go for the ring(Lakers)
2) Get a long term contract and a bigger role elsewhere (Nets, Kings, Jazz)

As the Clippers just signed Batum, it may have put them out of the Robinson sweepstakes.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 57, 58, 59 ... 200, 201, 202  Next
Page 58 of 202
Jump to: