The July 6 date is actually a hard stop for us and can screw us over
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crucifixion
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:07 pm    Post subject: The July 6 date is actually a hard stop for us and can screw us over

After the great news today of clearing space, I got to thinking about our situation and realized we can still be screwed over.

The AD trade has to be done on July 6. We all know the details, we need to sign our FA first with our available space, then trade our players for AD.

So what this means is, say Kawhi wants to think about his options and won't decide until 7/7. Guess what, we're officially eliminated from him because we need to sign him on 7/6.

Same thing with DLo. If KD/Kyrie decide to take time and decide after 7/6, then the Nets have no reason to renounce DLo by 7/6 which again means we can't get him.

So the next few days will be huge and if the big guys decide to wait we may be forced to sign a bunch of role players in order to use up the cap because quite bluntly our cap space expires on 7/6, putting us at a major disadvantage.

Even the role players may say they want to wait till the big fish settle. So while a Beverly may be cool with a 4/48 from us, they may want to wait and force us to offer something like $16m per just to get a commitment by 7/6.

So great news today but the next few days will be the most critical to get firm commitments by 7/6.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:11 pm    Post subject:

These guys already have a strong feeling where they're going to sign before free agency even begins. If they have any interest at all in signing here, they'll be very aware of that July 6th date, and will make a decision by then.

If they don't decide by then, then it just means were already eliminated as an option. They won't let a deadline stop them from becoming a Laker if that's what they really want.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:14 pm    Post subject:

When everything's going well, let's manufacture some fake panic to make things interesting. It's the LG way.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:15 pm    Post subject:

I'm actually much less concerned about 7/6, and more concerned that we might let some good role players slip away if Kawhi takes too long in deciding.
YSong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:15 pm    Post subject:

Whatever
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:19 pm    Post subject:

YSong wrote:
Whatever

I've lost enthusiasm and feel the same way, but probably for different reasons than you.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:22 pm    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
I'm actually much less concerned about 7/6, and more concerned that we might let some good role players slip away if Kawhi takes too long in deciding.

No, I view this as a plus in that we won't be tempted into overpaying that first and second wave of non-max guys with contracts that teams will regret a few months later.
srm90
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:24 pm    Post subject:

trablos wrote:

I got to imagine that most of the role players who are seriously interested in coming to the Lakers are gonna wait for the big dominoes to fall (All the “K” players) before they make any decisions. So I’m not too worried about this. And if they don’t wait, it means someone is offering them a large amount of money that we probably wouldn’t have offered them anyway.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: The July 6 date is actually a hard stop for us and can screw us over

crucifixion wrote:
After the great news today of clearing space, I got to thinking about our situation and realized we can still be screwed over.

The AD trade has to be done on July 6. We all know the details, we need to sign our FA first with our available space, then trade our players for AD.

So what this means is, say Kawhi wants to think about his options and won't decide until 7/7. Guess what, we're officially eliminated from him because we need to sign him on 7/6.

Same thing with DLo. If KD/Kyrie decide to take time and decide after 7/6, then the Nets have no reason to renounce DLo by 7/6 which again means we can't get him.

So the next few days will be huge and if the big guys decide to wait we may be forced to sign a bunch of role players in order to use up the cap because quite bluntly our cap space expires on 7/6, putting us at a major disadvantage.

Even the role players may say they want to wait till the big fish settle. So while a Beverly may be cool with a 4/48 from us, they may want to wait and force us to offer something like $16m per just to get a commitment by 7/6.

So great news today but the next few days will be the most critical to get firm commitments by 7/6.

I haven't heard about the Lakers needing to sign a free agent first, but assuming it's true it's not a big deal. If Kawhi or anyone else is on the clock and doesn't make a decision, it merely means they decided not to sign with us.

In reality, top stars tend to announce their decision before they can even officially signed. There is no reason Kawhi needs to take an extra day.

As someone else said, this thread seems like manufactured drama.

Last edited by activeverb on Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:29 pm    Post subject:

7/6 is plenty of time
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:42 pm    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
When everything's going well, let's manufacture some fake panic to make things interesting. It's the LG way.

This last week chock full of chicken littles and the media fanning the flames was such a colossal cluster-(bleep).

On to the next manufactured topic to hand wring over.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:45 pm    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:46 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
manlisten wrote:

This last week chock full of chicken littles and the media fanning the flames was such a colossal cluster-(bleep).

On to the next manufactured topic to hand wring over.

Lakers have AD and LeBron. Even if we had to punt the cap space we’ve already won the off-season.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:46 pm    Post subject:

trablos wrote:

Exactly..
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:47 pm    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:

Exactly...!
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:48 pm    Post subject:

These are fair concerns I suppose but as long as KD and Kyrie decide quick, things will happen VERY quickly. Once Kawhi signs it will be a frenzy like nothing we've seen before.

IMO most guys know where they're going to end up by now. Our getting max money probably opened up things but no doubt players and their agents have sat down and created FA roadmaps and options by now.

I cannot wait to sit back and watch. We're going to have fireworks before the 4th this year
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:02 pm    Post subject:

This is the reason why DLo seems like an unrealistic option.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: The July 6 date is actually a hard stop for us and can screw us over

crucifixion wrote:

Uh dude, they will be well informed of our situation, so if KL still wants to wait till after 7/7, then you got your answer. Last year, a flurry of signings happened the first night including PG13 putting the nail in his coffin the very first night.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:26 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:

Then we just split the $32 m pot, maybe Malcom Brogdan? I'm just stoked they got up to $32 today. But I don't think KD and Kyrie will let it linger.
calistrtballr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:38 pm    Post subject:

Plan A...bring home kawhi
Plan B...Dload and Green
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:44 pm    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:

Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:51 pm    Post subject:

damn it rob
crucifixion
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: The July 6 date is actually a hard stop for us and can screw us over

activeverb wrote:
crucifixion wrote:

I haven't heard about the Lakers needing to sign a free agent first, but assuming it's true it's not a big deal. If Kawhi or anyone else is on the clock and doesn't make a decision, it merely means they decided not to sign with us.

In reality, top stars tend to announce their decision before they can even officially signed. There is no reason Kawhi needs to take an extra day.

Yes because the AD trade that was agreed upon is based on a 7/6 date. So if we don't sign anyone then AD will actually use up most of our cap. The way it's set up is first we use our cap to sign someone then we'll have no cap space and we'll be operating as an over the cap team meaning we can go over the cap to trade for AD as long as salaries are close.

So in order to maximize this we have to sign SOMEONE on 7/6 then complete the trade. Like I said if no one commits early then most of our capspace is gone to cover the shortage of lonzo/Ingram/Hart salary vs AD salary
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:55 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:

Then we just split the $32 m pot, maybe Malcom Brogdan? I'm just stoked they got up to $32 today. But I don't think KD and Kyrie will let it linger.

When the AD trade goes through on 7/6 I believe their cap space dips down to $28-29M - still enough to land DLo, but I question if the front office will wait that long and sacrifice the additional cap space they and AD just opened unless DLo is renounced prior to 7/6.
YSong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The July 6 date is actually a hard stop for us and can screw us over

crucifixion wrote:
activeverb wrote:
crucifixion wrote:

Yes because the AD trade that was agreed upon is based on a 7/6 date. So if we don't sign anyone then AD will actually use up most of our cap. The way it's set up is first we use our cap to sign someone then we'll have no cap space and we'll be operating as an over the cap team meaning we can go over the cap to trade for AD as long as salaries are close.

So in order to maximize this we have to sign SOMEONE on 7/6 then complete the trade. Like I said if no one commits early then most of our capspace is gone to cover the shortage of lonzo/Ingram/Hart salary vs AD salary

WOW you sir are ahead of the game.

Make sure Pelinka knows this!!!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: