Jared Dudley Thread (Hired as DAL Assistant Coach)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:56 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
“No one owed me anything, Rob and Kurt were honest and upfront, nothing but respect and gratitude to them and Jeanie [Buss], I will be forever thankful for the opportunity they gave me,” Dudley said. “But I did want to come back. I did think I could help the team, especially having so many new players, but I understand they wanted to get younger.”

Didn’t we have a vacant spot in the coaching staff?

Kidd’s spot went to Fizdale
Hollins spot went to Penberthy
Penberthy’s spot is still unfilled.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:00 pm    Post subject:

Dudley is done as a basketball player. No brainer not bringing him back.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:02 pm    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
Quote:
“No one owed me anything, Rob and Kurt were honest and upfront, nothing but respect and gratitude to them and Jeanie [Buss], I will be forever thankful for the opportunity they gave me,” Dudley said. “But I did want to come back. I did think I could help the team, especially having so many new players, but I understand they wanted to get younger.”

You forgot Phil Handy, Miles Simon and Quinton Crawford. He got a better opportunity with Dallas.

Last edited by 32 on Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:02 pm    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
Quote:

You can pretty much have as many coaches as you like but I guess they didn't even want him in that capacity
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:24 pm    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
Quote:

You can pretty much have as many coaches as you like but I guess they didn't even want him in that capacity

BY RULE, ONLY 3 ASSISTANT COACHES ARE ALLOWED ON THE BENCH DURING GAMES!

Putting that in perspective - when Kareem was coaching Bynum, he wasn't on the bench during games, but had to sit behind it (and he quit when it was apparent that Phil wasn't moving him to the bench).

Dudz is being treated like a lead assistant in Dallas by being given a seat on the bench for games.

The "up and coming" young coach the Lakers are pushing is Crawford. 30 years old, 4 years as a video coordinator before Vogel brought him to the Lakers in 2019.

There's a pecking order and going to Dallas allows Dudley to "cut in line."
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:32 pm    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
Quote:

It seems like the Lakers FO wanted a clean slate and new blood.

There must have been some major issues in that locker room. Everyone but the stars shipped out or not retained. I expect them to get rid of Gasol too…seems like they are trying to drive him out.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:37 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Car54 wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
Quote:

There must have been some major issues in that locker room. Everyone but the stars shipped out or not retained. I expect them to get rid of Gasol too…seems like they are trying to drive him out.

Bringing in Westbrook at $44 million necessitated the overhaul. AD, LBJ & RW make a combined $121 million - the salary cap is only $112 million.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:55 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Car54 wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
Quote:

Bringing in Westbrook at $44 million necessitated the overhaul. AD, LBJ & RW make a combined $121 million - the salary cap is only $112 million.

Of course salary cap considerations. Just my opinion that the FO wasn’t eager to really keep any of the role players from last season. All of them underperformed and made decision easy tbh.

As for Dudz, this is the typical Klutch charades where it’s a public out cry, backing their boy…if they really wanted Dudz back in his role or as a coach LeKlutch Davis would have made it obvious…
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:43 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Car54 wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
Quote:

Of course salary cap considerations. Just my opinion that the FO wasn’t eager to really keep any of the role players from last season. All of them underperformed and made decision easy tbh.

As for Dudz, this is the typical Klutch charades where it’s a public out cry, backing their boy…if they really wanted Dudz back in his role or as a coach LeKlutch Davis would have made it obvious…

Exactly, I do not believe for a second all of AD, Westbrook and especially Bron pleaded for him to stay to the fo and they said no .. He's clearly loved as that goofy great end of the bench teammate for sure but that's about where it ends as well imo.

We don't really need that wasted roster spot on a locker room guy this season when you have Westbrook and Bron as leaders. Westbrook gets a bad rep but nearly every teammate i've seen of his only has great things to say and stories to share about him. He def. dislikes when media asks stupid questions ala Belichick and I actually like that aspect about him personally.

As far as the fo wanting all new blood, I think that's partly true. You had KCP and Kuz they would have happily kept but obviously were needed to complete the Westbrook trade (they weren't huge losses though either). THT was kept and Caruso could have been as well but the Bulls offered him the big 4 year deal so I completely get backing out to match that. The others were fairly easy to let go and very replaceable.

I know some are mad about losing Dennis for nothing but I personally love how the fo handled him acting like a spoiled child with pure class and never said anything publicly while quietly replacing him at a fraction of the cost he wanted when he thought he had us by the balls.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:45 am    Post subject:

hype wrote:
I know some are mad about losing Dennis for nothing but I personally love how the fo handled him acting like a spoiled child with pure class and never said anything publicly while quietly replacing him at a fraction of the cost he wanted when he thought he had us by the balls.

I never understood this.

A) Plenty of guards were on the market…even if it wasn’t Westbrook. Plenty of options were available.

B) The player has never proven to be anymore than a 6th man. I know it’s the player power era, but he’s not that guy…and he’s certainly not a guy who would have the NBA’s top franchise by the balls.

C) On the biggest stage he failed miserably. No player has anyone by the balls or has any kind of leverage when they fail and then have the self delusion of asking to be the highest paid PG.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:55 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
hype wrote:

I never understood this.

A) Plenty of guards were on the market…even if it wasn’t Westbrook. Plenty of options were available.

B) The player has never proven to be anymore than a 6th man. I know it’s the player power era, but he’s not that guy…and he’s certainly not a guy who would have the NBA’s top franchise by the balls.

C) On the biggest stage he failed miserably. No player has anyone by the balls or has any kind of leverage when they fail and then have the self delusion of asking to be the highest paid PG.

DS is not the first athlete/entertainer to be done in by their own ego.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:11 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
hype wrote:

I never understood this.

Of course not. Just saying I never understood the “He has the Lakers by the balls” narrative.
Lamar's Bud
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:08 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
hype wrote:

I never understood this.

Of course not. Just saying I never understood the “He has the Lakers by the balls” narrative.

Yes, there was no shortage of guards on the market. But given the cap situation, it appeared during the season that the Lakers likely didn't have any "better" options to acquire someone in free agency unless they took a massive discount.

The idea/narrative comes all from dealing with a salary cap. Once teams are at/over the cap, it becomes increasingly more difficult to replace any good players with minimum contract players. Was any guard signed to a minimum contract this offseason that is better than Shroeder? DS and/or his agent saw this as an opportunity to make a power play and try to have Rob become desperate to not lose DS for nothing while also not being able to really replace his value with a minimum contract player.

DS did hold some leverage. Enough that he got offered 4/$84. Unfortunately for him, Rob had other plans than to cave and up the offer beyond that.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:07 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:

<snip>

His calculation was that Lakers would pay him (contract or trade) rather than let him walk and lose his salary slot. He didn't expect the Lakers to pivot by sacrificing KCP+Trez+Caruso - kinda reminds me of chess and how master players sacrifice a major piece to ultimately come out ahead in the end-game.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:44 pm    Post subject:

hype wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Car54 wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
Quote:

Exactly, I do not believe for a second all of AD, Westbrook and especially Bron pleaded for him to stay to the fo and they said no .. He's clearly loved as that goofy great end of the bench teammate for sure but that's about where it ends as well imo.

We don't really need that wasted roster spot on a locker room guy this season when you have Westbrook and Bron as leaders. Westbrook gets a bad rep but nearly every teammate i've seen of his only has great things to say and stories to share about him. He def. dislikes when media asks stupid questions ala Belichick and I actually like that aspect about him personally.

As far as the fo wanting all new blood, I think that's partly true. You had KCP and Kuz they would have happily kept but obviously were needed to complete the Westbrook trade (they weren't huge losses though either). THT was kept and Caruso could have been as well but the Bulls offered him the big 4 year deal so I completely get backing out to match that. The others were fairly easy to let go and very replaceable.

It’s easy to believe that the FO would say no to Dudley no matter who wanted him back. They would be paying a lot for someone who might see 12-14 games.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:16 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

<snip>

It’s easy to believe that the FO would say no to Dudley no matter who wanted him back. They would be paying a lot for someone who might see 12-14 games.

The Lakers will incur an incomplete roster charge for the 13th spot anyways and I doubt a different 13th spot vet-min will get many more minutes/games. UNLESS ... the 13th player is already on the team and the Lakers are aiming to get a rotation player through a buyout ..

On a separate note, if Lebron & company really truly lobbied hard for Dudley to remain I feel the FO would've kept Dudley; it's like your desk-mate at work gets laid off as part of corporate "belt-tightening"; you go get drunk and curse out management for the next couple of evenings but you keep working in order to earn your next paycheck.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:46 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
hype wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Car54 wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
Quote:

Possibly but I find it extremely unlikely all 3 of those guys (Bron especially) pleaded to bring him back whatsoever and if they did i'm pretty sure they would have signed him without a second thought considering the last thing you want is FO & player drama over a minimum contract guy even with the inflated extra cost.

Personally, I think Bron's post about Dudz was more respect for what he did the last couple years behind the scenes then legitimate shock and frustration we didn't sign him.

He probably seen that he had the much better actual bench seat at Dallas versus having to slowly work his way up here since we already have legitimate assistants as leads.

It's all speculation though so who knows for sure I guess.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:57 pm    Post subject:

Lamar's Bud wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
hype wrote:

I never understood this.

Yes, there was no shortage of guards on the market. But given the cap situation, it appeared during the season that the Lakers likely didn't have any "better" options to acquire someone in free agency unless they took a massive discount.

The idea/narrative comes all from dealing with a salary cap. Once teams are at/over the cap, it becomes increasingly more difficult to replace any good players with minimum contract players. Was any guard signed to a minimum contract this offseason that is better than Shroeder? DS and/or his agent saw this as an opportunity to make a power play and try to have Rob become desperate to not lose DS for nothing while also not being able to really replace his value with a minimum contract player.

DS did hold some leverage. Enough that he got offered 4/$84. Unfortunately for him, Rob had other plans than to cave and up the offer beyond that.

Exactly what I meant.. There was probably 100's of pages at least on this forum talking about this exact thing all last season. We had no cap space and knew other big rotation players were likely going to walk or be traded in free agency. The Westbrook trade came out of nowhere and was completely unexpected but that trade along with Nunn signing for a bargain completely turned it around and suddenly we had the advantage along with him now being labeled as "difficult" around the league along with a lackluster performance overall in the season.

DS bet on himself and failed miserably. Rob & the FO might not have nailed every single move but I loved how they handled this entire situation. Rob was all business, no drama just took care of the situation and still improved our overall roster without getting anything in return for DS.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:30 pm    Post subject:

Schro “had us by the balls” cause we allowed him to.

The mandate for him to start was known before we traded for him and we accommodated the demand anyways.

Quote:
Schroder said that he has not spoken to Lakers coach Frank Vogel about his desire to start, however his representatives, Alex Saratsis and Jeff Austin of Octagon, discussed that aspect with the Lakers front office prior to L.A.'s trading guard Danny Green and the No. 28 pick in the draft to the Thunder to complete the deal.

"I think my agent talked to the organization before they was trading me," he said "So, that's that."

From that point on, he was a pending FA that wanted to get paid. The above market extension followed which he rebuffed and then it was known that we were looking to trade him. Trade deadline came and went and then the narrative was he could be used in a S&t if he didn’t want to reup and stay with us.

Klutch absolutely blessed us with the Trez opt-in. Without that contract, we don’t have enough salary for Russ, even if he demanded to be traded here. We would have to wait till closer to the trade deadline to trade for Russ. And even if the option was Buddy, Kuz & Kcp had to be outgoing salary to get that deal done since just one of those guys + Gasol/McKinnie was still not enough salary to get that deal done.

If Trez opted out and left, Schro would know that the only way we could improve the roster was to involve him in a S&t. Combine that with the 1st wave of free agency drying most of the money up and then Riles blessing us with Nunn by rescinding his QO for a bargain bin deal. He coulda chose NY at that point, but wanted the exposure. 42 nationally scheduled broadcasts later, it appears he made the right choice. Now he’s going to have to ball out to get that next bag...I mean he better, look at what happened to Schro.

He did have us by the balls, but the bball gods spared us and blue balled Schro instead.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:14 pm    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
Quote:

"Get younger" and then go and sign Rondo
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:35 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
Quote:

"Get younger" and then go and sign Rondo

Dudz over here thinking

I didn’t think they would do him like this...not even offer dude a coaching gig. As a player/coach tho, Rondo is undoubtedly better.

And if you think about it, Rondo is younger...by 7 months compared to Dudz

Quote:
Tim Reynolds: Rajon Rondo, 35, will be the sixth-oldest player on the Lakers roster when he signs back there on Monday. Russell Westbrook, entering his 14th season, will be the eighth-oldest.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21
Page 21 of 21
Jump to: