DWIGHT HOWARD (2013) Vs ANTHONY DAVIS (2021)

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Vote!
DWIGHT
24%
 24%  [ 7 ]
ANTHONY
75%
 75%  [ 22 ]
Total Votes : 29

JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:47 pm    Post subject: DWIGHT HOWARD (2013) Vs ANTHONY DAVIS (2021)

DWIGHT HOWARD
27 Yrs   17.1 Pts   12.4 Reb   1.4 Ast   1.1 Stl   2.4 Blk

Season high 39 Pts (39 FT)

ANTHONY DAVIS
27 Yrs   21.8 Pts   7.9 Reb   3.1 Ast   1.3 Stl   1.6 Blk

Season high 42 Pts
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:30 pm    Post subject:

I'm curious how lopsided this one gets...
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:31 pm    Post subject:

Davis wasn’t even healthy at all that season and he was 10x more impactful than Howard was in 2013.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:58 pm    Post subject:

I'm the one vote for Dwight so far and I clicked that on accident.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:54 pm    Post subject:

The only thing I got Dwight ahead of AD is health and dependability and while it's a fairly big concern for a Superstar i'm still rolling with AD quite easily as an overall player.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:31 pm    Post subject:

I voted AD but their prime is closer than the poll will show. D12 was the most athletic center ever. Could jump out of the building with quickness to match.

AD's game is all about elite skill and size while D12's was pure athleticism at a Westbrook/Lebron like level

The guy was an elite post scorer and even defeated LBJ in 09' but by 13' he already had serious back surgery, never averaging 20pts or 14 rebs again. Injuries stunned his prime before he peaked

D12 at 23 years old (2009): https://youtu.be/7EvPtggzPtY
GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:56 pm    Post subject:

Dwight was post back surgery where he had a fusion. This poll is not an "apples to apples" comparison.

Dwight was never the scorer AD is but AD has never been the dominating post presence Dwight has been, both on the boards or protecting the rim. To this day, if you ask me who is the best rebounder, shot blocker, screen setter or enforcer on this team, Dwight would top my list.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:38 pm    Post subject:

Dwight refused to accept his role, and decided to get away from the stuff he was good at to prove something to someone that doesn't even play the game anymore.

Davis did the opposite, and we won a Championship because of it.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:05 am    Post subject:

I am trying to think about whether this is a fair comparison for either player, as Dwight was hobbled that year with the back, and AD was hobbled all year with the foot and short lay off.

Neither player was his best or really healthy. However both were all-stars and still high impact.

Overall up unto this point in their careers, you probably have to give the edge to AD due to the championship ring. Dwight was the best C in the NBA for a good 5 year run, and led his team to the NBA Finals, while AD has led his team to the 2nd round. I lean towards AD, but up to this point in their careers I think it is very close and an argument can be made for Dwight (until about age 28-29). However around 28-29, Dwight really slowed down and his impact became almost exclusively on the boards and D. AD hopefully will age well and be an all-star until 32-33. ADs game seems to be one that will not diminish with age. Last year was like having an old AD. He was hobbling around quite a bit and not full fitness (looked not as fit in camp as well). If that AD can give you the numbers he did, I feel confident AD will evolve into a 20-8-3 stretch 5 in his mid 30s. That is just the skills he has.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:09 am    Post subject:

Dwight is more gifted athletically and had way less health issues. Davis is way more skilled.

Both didn't even come close to using their potential (yet).
giordan0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:16 am    Post subject:

Real question is, can AD drag a team to the Finals on his own.

2010 Dwight was a beast and did that with a relatively average team (Rashard Lewis/Hedo/Matt Barnes/Jameer Nelson) that played really cohesively as a unit.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:35 am    Post subject:

Athleticism with no brains and a huge ego back then. The headcase that was post-back surgery DH in 2013 was not helpful to our team. He had Kobe Bryant as a teammate, but put his own clownish self over team and refused to accept his role. 2013 DH did not lead the Lakers to anything, regardless of whether he reached the finals with Orlando.

DH from 2 years ago was the opposite. Not as athletic anymore, but far FAR better at understanding and contributing what the team needed in order to win. Picks, shut-down interior defense, playing within the offense, letting the scorers score, but scoring at very solid efficiency when the situation called for it. A little humility did wonders for him.

AD contributed more to winning a title than DH at his best. I really liked 2019 Dwight Howard, and he did contribute. I anticipate I'll really like 2021 Dwight Howard as well. But 2013 D12 that showed up in a Laker uniform? No way. Not even close.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:12 pm    Post subject:

Who was better— peak Orlando Dwight or any version of AD other than the bubble version?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:55 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
I'm the one vote for Dwight so far and I clicked that on accident.

Anthony all day! In his prime Dwight was an athletic stud with a limited offensive game. Anthony, otoh, who has not reached his prime yet, was more advanced offensively than Dwight almost from the day he made his debut.

Defensively is where they're comparable because both are/were defensive studs.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: