Can we start a gofundme account to retrofit & modernize LG
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerDynasty6.0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:44 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
I’d be happy to not only donate but also donate my expertise in terms of site design if an upgrade is desired.

Can’t do the dev work (coding) but Im happy to help with or do the design part to modernize the look and feel, as well as overall marketing strategy stuff like how can we generate some revenue to help maintain the experience here.

Time (expertise, especiallY) is worth a whole damn more than money!. I sure hope the mods take you up on your offer, ringfinger! I'm happy to help with the actual programming work, especially in building a real mobile app
Dumhead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:45 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Doubt they’d mention it but wonder what the cost is currently and what we need to get to in order to minimize or eliminate down time.

Downtime for an upgrade? Or just overall downtime due to server overload?
Dumhead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:49 am    Post subject:

lakerdynasty5.0 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
I’d be happy to not only donate but also donate my expertise in terms of site design if an upgrade is desired.

Can’t do the dev work (coding) but Im happy to help with or do the design part to modernize the look and feel, as well as overall marketing strategy stuff like how can we generate some revenue to help maintain the experience here.

Time (expertise, especiallY) is worth a whole damn more than money!. I sure hope the mods take you up on your offer, ringfinger! I'm happy to help with the actual programming work, especially in building a real mobile app

I used to do site theming for php based community sites, for WP, phpbb, drupal, all the way back to phpnuke. :p I'd be happy to help, too. But if there was money and DB could pay a pro to do it all, that's probably even better... that way there is a contract-based reason for support and troubleshooting in the event there are hiccups.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:06 am    Post subject:

Mobil app yes but media posting definitely no if it means like it is on SpursTalk. Too much clutter. Simple clean, fast. Other lakers site have all that stuff waiting to load on mobile.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:07 am    Post subject:

We can always go back to an over/under for wins next year with the losing picks promising to contribute, say, 20 bucks. Since the over/under will be likely somewhere between 50 and 60 wins, and nearly everybody here thinking it will between 60 and 82 . . . mission accomplished.
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:00 am    Post subject:

I think after the server upgrade last summer there was mention of. plan to upgrade to a newer version of phobb but guessing it fell through. In all honesty what makes this board better than other message boards is it's simplicity for me. Mods and posters come a close second. Even if it were to be upgraded, I would hope we keep the same simple views (no embedded pics or images/gifs) and simply improve the mobile experience and notification experience.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:14 am    Post subject:

This site is perfect as is.
Rek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:27 am    Post subject:

I'm a pretty big fan of the current look and feel of the desktop version of the site. But, understand that a lot of people would be looking for a facelift by now.

If feature upgrades were on the table, I would echo the addition of being able to use @username references so that other members will be able to track threads where they are being referenced, etc. Also, having a mobile version of the site is an obvious area of need.

I've mentioned this before, but, I still think that adding an Ignore feature would go along ways to cutting down on much of the intentional trolling and personal baiting that happens. Additionally, it just helps to filter out content that you have no interest in reading.

All of this said, it doesn't cost me a dime to enjoy this site and community and that has never been lost on me. I have a lot of appreciation for what DB and the staff do to keep LG running smoothly. Thanks, folks!
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:28 am    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
This site is perfect as is.

I like it because it's unique. It's like a 1967 Chevy Camaro. It might be old but it's a classic, one of a kind. If people want videos, just link it to twitter.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:48 am    Post subject:

Seems like there's enough ad revenue. Why would they need crowdfunding?

Anyway, this site is incredibly archaic but I wouldn't modernize it too much. Like others have said it would be nice to get notifications when your post is quoted. It's somewhat of a chore to even find your own post history. And the search feature is a complete joke. But other than that I don't think I'd change much of anything.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:51 am    Post subject:

I don't mind the general look/feel of the site, but it definitely needs improvement on the backend. It's slower than other basketball forums, isn't secure, and crashes all the time. I'd totally be down for a donation drive to try and ameliorate those issues.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:09 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
epak wrote:
KB8SD wrote:
Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
what changes would you make?

i'd make none.

-Ability for members to embed and post pics, images, gifs.
-Embed media from youtube and other social media

Yikes. And make it unbearable to read posts?
Although getting some emojis that aren't only bananas would be nice

It’s about that time 🕐 👋 we 👥 not playin no more🙅😒 . Big boi 🍆 stuff only 🍗💯 👏 Last night 🌙 all the hard work 😠🏃🏢 payin off 💸💰 👏 All my fans 🙌, family 👨‍👦‍👦👏 Appreciate y’all. 👌👌 Thank you 👈 for taking the 🌊🌊🌊 journey 🏔🏃wit me 💯💖. And uh, you 👈 know, 💭 hopefully 👏 we gonna move on from here 👉 and everybody 👩👴👶 have a good time👌 🕐 👏 and I 👁 get in the league 🎟🏀 and do what I was I'm 👁 supposed to do 🏆🍆 💦👌 Thank y’all. 😩❤️💯 WOOOOOOOOOOO!!! 😝😝😝

I laughed unnecessarily loudly at this post 🤣
Ingram14
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:00 am    Post subject:

I’d donate if it’s moved you something with a mobile app option. I don’t go on LG at work because I can’t read anything on the phone.

Usually have to wait until I get home to check updates on LG using an iPad or desktop.
UKUGA
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:02 am    Post subject:

You need to be notified when someone responds to your post. It’s so hard to keep up in here.
ForumBlueFrank
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:13 am    Post subject:

I remember when Uberzev designed the interface. Seems like ages ago.

Lots of OOB options available now, mostly open source and huge support communities. Customizing wouldn't take more than a few days, and tweaking the Apache or IIS server, upgrading the PHP and MySQL servers to meet the demands is much more straightforward then it used to be. Also cloud servers are dirt cheap now.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:55 am    Post subject:

UKUGA wrote:
You need to be notified when someone responds to your post. It’s so hard to keep up in here.

When posting you can select to be notified when your post is responded to.
818fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:07 am    Post subject:

We need:

-Clickable quotes. Make it so we can jump right to a post that's been quoted by clicking on it. Makes it easy to navigate to whichever comment on large quote threads.

-Mobile. This is one of the harder websites to browse on mobile.

-Reply notification system. The "Notify my when a reply is posted" function doesn't work for me, so it might just be a problem for me, but if it's site-wide, that would a be a nice addition.

-Give us the ability to 'like' or 'thank' posts. One click buttons to like or thank a comment.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:40 am    Post subject:

KB8SD wrote:
Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
what changes would you make?

i'd make none.

-Ability for members to embed and post pics, images, gifs.
-Embed media from youtube and other social media

I think thats by design. I see the mods post pics all the time.
sogood.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:19 pm    Post subject:

I agree, LG is very outdated compared to other forums.

However the demographic here seems to be a lot older than others, so I don't think they would welcome the change as you can see with the replies so far.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:28 pm    Post subject:

818fan wrote:
We need:

-Clickable quotes. Make it so we can jump right to a post that's been quoted by clicking on it. Makes it easy to navigate to whichever comment on large quote threads.

-Mobile. This is one of the harder websites to browse on mobile.

-Reply notification system. The "Notify my when a reply is posted" function doesn't work for me, so it might just be a problem for me, but if it's site-wide, that would a be a nice addition.

-Give us the ability to 'like' or 'thank' posts. One click buttons to like or thank a comment.

I just want to comment on the last one. Please, please, please --- under NO circumstances should this site EVER adopt an ability to "like," "thank," or give "reputation/karma" to a post. I've studied this issue and anecdotally i've seen how it plays out: if you think we have a problem now with trolls, cliques, aggressive posters, diversity of thought, a "like" function will make all of that exponentially worse. All it does is kill the conversation and encourage posters to meme and virtue signal so "likes" can go up.

Do you think it's annoying now when you see a somewhat Kobe-related thread with me, chronicle, and huey lewis "KOBE"ing all up in it? (If so, first off, (bleep) you and the clique you claim.) Now think about 50 other posters rushing to do that so they can get that precious dopamine hit that accompanies their post and the concomitant likes. Do you enjoy seeing certain posters have the balls to go against the grain and offer an opinion that stimulates conversation? Say bye-bye to that as a flood of "dislikes" and negative reputation hits end up burying the speaker while dozens of worthless little cretins try to climb up the pile and play king for a day, parroting back some opinion that they are assured will give them the virtual respect and reputation they think they deserve but do not possess. So long interesting opinions, hello stultified thought.

Thick-skinned adults and other veteran internet posters may be able to resist the urge and carry on like normal, engaging in civil (and not so civil) discussion with any number of posters on any number of topics. But if you create a karma system, you will irreversibly damage this site's ecosystem forever as a flood of new posters enter into a milieu governed by likes, not content.

Right now, a poster's "reputation" is almost completely dependent on what they say and how they say it. If you change that, I promise that you will unleash a veritable plague of idiots upon this site, aggrandize the worst amongst us, and set this site on a path towards becoming just another generic laker website where memes and identity outweigh content and character.
Lakeshow323
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:31 pm    Post subject:

I agree with embedding tweets only, no on the rest, especially gifs.
Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:40 pm    Post subject:

The main problem is the server literally dies when anything important in Lakerland is happening.

The performance of this platform/server is terrible and really needs an upgraded framework.

We'd like to come here and share important news and events, but the lag here is so bad.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:43 pm    Post subject:

^Yeah, about the only thing that needs improving is the server. I'd happily donate for that
mugwump
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:02 pm    Post subject:

Quick, is there a LG2 backup server address still working? Things are about to go nuts here and there used to be the secondary site! Any link?
Dumhead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:36 pm    Post subject:

Staccatos wrote:
The main problem is the server literally dies when anything important in Lakerland is happening.

The performance of this platform/server is terrible and really needs an upgraded framework.

We'd like to come here and share important news and events, but the lag here is so bad.

Who knows what the host and server setup is. I'm sure DB had worked with finding a host solution that is designed for high traffic.

A minor thing... phpBB2 is less efficient the contemporary forum systems which can utilize the speed of PHP 7 which is up to 3x faster than PHP 5.2 which is what phpBB2 was designed for.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: