Can we start a gofundme account to retrofit & modernize LG
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:43 pm    Post subject:

i'd donate for an ignore function
818fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:44 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
818fan wrote:
We need:

-Clickable quotes. Make it so we can jump right to a post that's been quoted by clicking on it. Makes it easy to navigate to whichever comment on large quote threads.

-Mobile. This is one of the harder websites to browse on mobile.

-Reply notification system. The "Notify my when a reply is posted" function doesn't work for me, so it might just be a problem for me, but if it's site-wide, that would a be a nice addition.

-Give us the ability to 'like' or 'thank' posts. One click buttons to like or thank a comment.

I just want to comment on the last one. Please, please, please --- under NO circumstances should this site EVER adopt an ability to "like," "thank," or give "reputation/karma" to a post. I've studied this issue and anecdotally i've seen how it plays out: if you think we have a problem now with trolls, cliques, aggressive posters, diversity of thought, a "like" function will make all of that exponentially worse. All it does is kill the conversation and encourage posters to meme and virtue signal so "likes" can go up.

Do you think it's annoying now when you see a somewhat Kobe-related thread with me, chronicle, and huey lewis "KOBE"ing all up in it? (If so, first off, (bleep) you and the clique you claim.) Now think about 50 other posters rushing to do that so they can get that precious dopamine hit that accompanies their post and the concomitant likes. Do you enjoy seeing certain posters have the balls to go against the grain and offer an opinion that stimulates conversation? Say bye-bye to that as a flood of "dislikes" and negative reputation hits end up burying the speaker while dozens of worthless little cretins try to climb up the pile and play king for a day, parroting back some opinion that they are assured will give them the virtual respect and reputation they think they deserve but do not possess. So long interesting opinions, hello stultified thought.

Thick-skinned adults and other veteran internet posters may be able to resist the urge and carry on like normal, engaging in civil (and not so civil) discussion with any number of posters on any number of topics. But if you create a karma system, you will irreversibly damage this site's ecosystem forever as a flood of new posters enter into a milieu governed by likes, not content.

Right now, a poster's "reputation" is almost completely dependent on what they say and how they say it. If you change that, I promise that you will unleash a veritable plague of idiots upon this site, aggrandize the worst amongst us, and set this site on a path towards becoming just another generic laker website where memes and identity outweigh content and character.

I don't want the likes to add to anything to an account's reputation or karma. It should only be linked to one comment and be nothing more than that. Also should only be likes and no dislikes.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:41 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:

That's what I thought you'd say. You want to ruin the greatest sports message forum with ADHD GARBAGE

Fixed:

That's what I thought you'd say. You want to ruin the greatest sports message forum IN THE WORLD with ADHD GARBAGE
No. 17
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:57 pm    Post subject:

Staccatos wrote:
The main problem is the server literally dies when anything important in Lakerland is happening.

The performance of this platform/server is terrible and really needs an upgraded framework.

We'd like to come here and share important news and events, but the lag here is so bad.

Totally agreed. I'd donate for an upgrade.
LakerDynasty6.0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:24 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:

I'd match ya, heck raise ya!
Tragic
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:30 pm    Post subject:

yes
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:40 pm    Post subject:

phone app + ignore feature please. also the feature where you can see you've been quoted
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:19 am    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
818fan wrote:
We need:

-Clickable quotes. Make it so we can jump right to a post that's been quoted by clicking on it. Makes it easy to navigate to whichever comment on large quote threads.

-Reply notification system. The "Notify my when a reply is posted" function doesn't work for me, so it might just be a problem for me, but if it's site-wide, that would a be a nice addition.

-Give us the ability to 'like' or 'thank' posts. One click buttons to like or thank a comment.

I just want to comment on the last one. Please, please, please --- under NO circumstances should this site EVER adopt an ability to "like," "thank," or give "reputation/karma" to a post. I've studied this issue and anecdotally i've seen how it plays out: if you think we have a problem now with trolls, cliques, aggressive posters, diversity of thought, a "like" function will make all of that exponentially worse. All it does is kill the conversation and encourage posters to meme and virtue signal so "likes" can go up.

Do you think it's annoying now when you see a somewhat Kobe-related thread with me, chronicle, and huey lewis "KOBE"ing all up in it? (If so, first off, (bleep) you and the clique you claim.) Now think about 50 other posters rushing to do that so they can get that precious dopamine hit that accompanies their post and the concomitant likes. Do you enjoy seeing certain posters have the balls to go against the grain and offer an opinion that stimulates conversation? Say bye-bye to that as a flood of "dislikes" and negative reputation hits end up burying the speaker while dozens of worthless little cretins try to climb up the pile and play king for a day, parroting back some opinion that they are assured will give them the virtual respect and reputation they think they deserve but do not possess. So long interesting opinions, hello stultified thought.

Thick-skinned adults and other veteran internet posters may be able to resist the urge and carry on like normal, engaging in civil (and not so civil) discussion with any number of posters on any number of topics. But if you create a karma system, you will irreversibly damage this site's ecosystem forever as a flood of new posters enter into a milieu governed by likes, not content.

Right now, a poster's "reputation" is almost completely dependent on what they say and how they say it. If you change that, I promise that you will unleash a veritable plague of idiots upon this site, aggrandize the worst amongst us, and set this site on a path towards becoming just another generic laker website where memes and identity outweigh content and character.

By god, I second this. Very well-put, C. The like button is a scourge upon humanity and we'll be paying for it for decades.
RobinInHood
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:48 am    Post subject:

KB8SD wrote:
what changes would you make?

i'd make none.

-Ability for members to embed and post pics, images, gifs.
-Embed media from youtube and other social media

Have you seen other forums where they’re posting pics? It’s a (bleep) mess.

As for this forum, a mobile version would be much appreciated.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:25 am    Post subject:

By god, I second this. Very well-put, C. The like button is a scourge upon humanity and we'll be paying for it for decades.

PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:30 am    Post subject:

I like everything about the forum except for how slow the servers can be.
loseyourname
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:59 am    Post subject:

I actually like the vintage vBulletin look and reduced feature set. Any sort of karma/like system quickly turns a board into an echo chamber and also causes late-coming additions to a conversation to get buried. It's fine for something that is primarily link-posting, but for conversation, this is much better. Threading actually works. Allowing images and videos has its perks and drawbacks, but the huge drawback is you run the risk of becoming imgur where the whole board is mostly people spamming memes and all the adults disappear.

The only modernization this place really needs is a reactive UI that works on mobile and, at times when a lot of activity is taking place, elastic server scaling and probably a CDN. The latter probably isn't worth it if it's only slowing/crashing once every five years, though.

The mobile UI is badly needed. I have no idea how easy or even possible it is to migrate phpBB to something else that works or even what that is, though. Reddit is open source, but I don't want Reddit. Not just for the reasons above, because even if you turn off karma and make /new the default sort, it still isn't conducive to the years-long threads with thousands of pages to have no pagination and load it on the fly into a single browser tab. It wouldn't be LG any more.
Al13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:38 am    Post subject:

after the last few days its obvious this place needs an overhaul, ignore function is seriously needed in here....everybody sends 5 bucks and this should be fixed soon
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:38 am    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
818fan wrote:
We need:

kobe
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:51 am    Post subject:

The most important thing is making it mobile friendly.
PengShow
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:33 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
The most important thing is making it mobile friendly.

I agree, this is the most obvious improvement that can be made.

Mobile friendly, no need for an app.
Also the idea of having thanks/likes is a terrible idea, that sort of thing doesn't encourage having meaningful discussions.
Dumhead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:54 am    Post subject:

I don't think the likes are necessary, nor gifs, nor videos or pics...

Just need a functional search... in-forum notifications, quote notifications (the current reply notification is not useful at all)... and mobile friendly. Those seem like the only upgrades I think would really add to the experience.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:22 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
I’d be happy to not only donate but also donate my expertise in terms of site design if an upgrade is desired.

Can’t do the dev work (coding) but Im happy to help with or do the design part to modernize the look and feel, as well as overall marketing strategy stuff like how can we generate some revenue to help maintain the experience here.

Does coding mean working with PHP and design is HTML/CSS?

In the past, it was possible to run phphBB (and similar) local using XAMPP or WAMP. There is no need to do coding if there is enough functionality in the core product or an extension.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:44 am    Post subject:

I am ready to buy this website. DB whenever you ready, pm me

Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:45 am    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:

I would ignore it
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:48 am    Post subject:

Personally, I love the look and feel of this site. It’s like a family beach house sitting in a sea of condos. If you want a condo, buy a condo. But there’s an open invitation to the family’s eclectic if somewhat dated shack on the best beach there is.

I use my phone a ton to get on and don’t have any problems with the design. We could use better security and crashworthiness, but aside from that, I say let it do what it do baybee.
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:24 am    Post subject:

I like the feel of the site but notifications of when someone quotes your post are an absolute must, as well as a server upgrade. I'd happily donate to that fund.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:25 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
I’d be happy to not only donate but also donate my expertise in terms of site design if an upgrade is desired.

Can’t do the dev work (coding) but Im happy to help with or do the design part to modernize the look and feel, as well as overall marketing strategy stuff like how can we generate some revenue to help maintain the experience here.

We’re still waiting for you to donate some decent content...
The God Particle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:33 am    Post subject:

As a participant in many other forums (computer rig forums, golf forums, physics foums, and many others), LG is easily the worst one. It's terrrrrrible.

Take my 10Gbit uplink and my 68TB server! I can help with the dev too! Or just take my money!
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:48 am    Post subject:

what we should really ask for is getting the great search feature back. But I seriously doubt they would do it. Years ago, they took it out and replaced it with the far less convenient google search.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: