Room Excpetion Targets
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who would you prefer?
Boogie
53%
 53%  [ 41 ]
Marcus Morris
42%
 42%  [ 33 ]
KCP
3%
 3%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 77

Legacy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:22 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
trablos wrote:
Count me in the minority as someone who thinks a good system, and much more talented roster will do wonders for KCP's game. He's a guy who needs a clear roll, where not too much decision making is involved. Anything more than that, and his game starts to fall apart. Play defense, come off screens, hit 3's. As hard as it is to admit he would be a steal for the room exception.

KCP got paid.
Overpaid.
He got overrated as some defensive guru aka Curry Stopper because of some stupid YouTube video. Little did we know that his defense sucks balls!

That being said, if he was making $5M, I think we'd be pleased with his last 2 years.

KCP and the other 1 year contracts we dealt out were short term stepping stones to do two things. 1.) Round out our roster with decent talent. 2.) Give us financial flexibility when those contracts end.

We overpaid to acquire them for one year. Otherwise we would have any one, or all of those guys still on our roster and no money to go after a max player right now. It was strategic and smart.
SnackilleOatmeal
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:29 pm    Post subject:

lakerdynasty5.0 wrote:
anyone who votes for KCP needs to watch last season!

I didn't vote for him but he averaged just south of 20 PPG over the last month of the year...he's not as big a bum of most people think. Dude can play, but he's nowhere near worth the amount of money we've paid him the past 2 years.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:57 pm    Post subject:

SnackilleOatmeal wrote:
lakerdynasty5.0 wrote:

I didn't vote for him but he averaged just south of 20 PPG over the last month of the year...he's not as big a bum of most people think. Dude can play, but he's nowhere near worth the amount of money we've paid him the past 2 years.

But is he willing to take a paycut from 12 million this past season (and 17.7 million the season before that) to 4.5 million? Would gladly have him and his free throw shooting back if so.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
SnackilleOatmeal
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:01 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
SnackilleOatmeal wrote:
lakerdynasty5.0 wrote:

But is he willing to take a paycut from 12 million this past season (and 17.7 million the season before that) to 4.5 million? Would gladly have him and his free throw shooting back if so.

Great question. With money drying up in the market, and a clear championship contender in our team, I'd imagine that would be the most logical choice for him. but you never know.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:49 pm    Post subject:

This season was really the first one that KCP was wildly inconsistent.

Last season he was pretty consistent all year and averaged 13.4 points, 5.2 boards and 1.4 steals while shooting 38.3 percent from downtown. If he's our only option at the starting 2 he may not be that bad.

I wonder how much of his inconsistent play this season had to do with all the injuries we had.

Last edited by slavavov on Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:52 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
slavavov wrote:
I don't get the facination with Boogie. He looked like he had very limited hops, mobility and ability to finish in traffic during the NBA finals.

He deserves no more than a minimum contract.

I don't get why you think anyone is "fascinated" with Boogie. No one actually wants him (except for probably MJST lol). The team still needs a starting C and he's one of the few options left besides McGee. The Lakers will be inevitably stuck with at least one of them. Will he be expected to produce much? Nope. And I'm sure most can already forsee the potential problems down the line if he were to come here, such as limited minutes unless he plays unexpectedly well and stays healthy. And he'll have to accept his role as a guy who the offense is not being run through most of the time. There's defensive concerns as well, obviously, which were already there when he was healthy and dominating the league, and are now compounded by his even more limited mobility and explosion coming off the injury. Again, it's not that anyone genuinely wants him. Options are just scarce at this point and there's at least some possibility that he could stay mostly healthy and actually play decently.

Good points, but there's pretty much no market for Boogie, so if he's our only option at C, why waste the room exception on him when Morris and even KCP are better players than him? McGee is also better than Boogie at this point, and he had a very good year for us and is much better defensively.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:43 pm    Post subject:

Hoping the Lakers can see ALL three if Kawhi signs elsewhere...!
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:00 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
This season was really the first one that KCP was wildly inconsistent.

Last season he was pretty consistent all year and averaged 13.4 points, 5.2 boards and 1.4 steals while shooting 38.3 percent from downtown. If he's our only option at the starting 2 he may not be that bad.

I wonder how much of his inconsistent play this season had to do with all the injuries we had.

Yeah he's not the bum everyone is making him out to be. Last year was tumultuous, to say the least. With AD coming and a more limited role, he can worry less about making boneheaded decisions and just focus all his energy into 3 and D.
a2j1m
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:10 pm    Post subject:

Is RHJ with klutch? I’m kinda surprised no one has picked him up
statyin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:13 pm    Post subject:

Marcus Morris appears to be better choice just becoz the health of Boogie is a concern. Otherwise, Boogie is a no brainer.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:09 am    Post subject:

a2j1m wrote:
Is RHJ with klutch? I’m kinda surprised no one has picked him up

Can't shoot.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:42 am    Post subject:

I’d take Morris, but I have serious doubts he would settle for the room exception.
cthroatgtr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:31 am    Post subject:

KCP was overpaid we all agree, but right now not sure you even have a starting SG or PG. KCP is a reasonable option if the salary is right. Boogie not sure about but for the right price you can do worst. He still has talent and he wasn't fully healed I would expect him to be better but never again the player he was. Still you need a center on this team, even if only 10 minutes per half. Morris is the most redundant of the three, though perhaps the better fit overall. But due to need I would go KCP, Boogie, Morris.

I still worry the team lacks size overall. AD is a 4/5 and LBJ & Kuz are 3/4s. Great for today's NBA but need some size. McGee will help.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:38 am    Post subject:

blackmamba08 wrote:
I do not want to see KCP in Lakers uniform ever again.

HOF Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:07 am    Post subject:

of those 3, i think KCP fill the biggest need, Boogie the best risk/reward, and Morris as the best player currently of the 3.

depends on how the rest of the roster gets filled out, but I'd roll the dice w/ boogie.
alleyoop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:12 am    Post subject:

Boogie still had games where he looks like an offensive powerhouse, last season. With another offseason, I'm going to guess that he comes back even stronger offensively, even if his defense is lacking. I'd take him if he'd accept it

PG: LeBron
SG: ???
SF: Kawhi
PF: Davis
C: Boogie
#18 next...
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:42 am    Post subject:

alleyoop wrote:
Boogie still had games where he looks like an offensive powerhouse, last season. With another offseason, I'm going to guess that he comes back even stronger offensively, even if his defense is lacking. I'd take him if he'd accept it

PG: LeBron
SG: ???
SF: Kawhi
PF: Davis
C: Boogie

I'd rather have McGee, much better rim protector and consistent lob threat. That's all we need from the C position.
The Shadow King
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:46 am    Post subject:

Never was a big fan of KCP. I would much rather have Kyle Korver, to be honest.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:39 am    Post subject:

SnackilleOatmeal wrote:
lakerdynasty5.0 wrote:

And what was the team trying to do the last month of the season? Lose every game that they could.
HAWAIIGUY27
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:40 am    Post subject:

Room: McGee
Minimums: Boogie, Faried, Bayless/Rondo, Chandler
Buyouts: Iguodala(?), Korver
24Legend007
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:56 pm    Post subject:

I know we need a guard terribly, but there just isn't enough talent left for the room anymore. I think Danny Green gets more then that anyway. I think we should use the room on McGee. I feel like he is best player available that fills a need, for the money. Just because we have AD I still think we need a center that is capable of starting.

So I'm for McGee, even over Cousins. McGee fits nicely imo.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:41 pm    Post subject:

Legacy wrote:
epak wrote:
trablos wrote:
Count me in the minority as someone who thinks a good system, and much more talented roster will do wonders for KCP's game. He's a guy who needs a clear roll, where not too much decision making is involved. Anything more than that, and his game starts to fall apart. Play defense, come off screens, hit 3's. As hard as it is to admit he would be a steal for the room exception.

KCP got paid.
Overpaid.
He got overrated as some defensive guru aka Curry Stopper because of some stupid YouTube video. Little did we know that his defense sucks balls!

That being said, if he was making $5M, I think we'd be pleased with his last 2 years.

KCP and the other 1 year contracts we dealt out were short term stepping stones to do two things. 1.) Round out our roster with decent talent. 2.) Give us financial flexibility when those contracts end.

We overpaid to acquire them for one year. Otherwise we would have any one, or all of those guys still on our roster and no money to go after a max player right now. It was strategic and smart.

Yes, that was a reason he got overpaid as well.
Either way, he got overpaid. And that optic plays into why some think he sucks.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: